Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Does anyone then have the torrents already?

Can the eps. be downloaded or is the tracker down as well?

From the looks of it, the whole site is down. It doesn't PING so the tracker is probably out of commission. Anybody who does have it is stuck using DHT for hosts.

So it's a big thread and I just recently started watching Macross F so I'm hoping someone can give me some quick and easy answers.

Which subs do people think are the best? I've been watching Lunar from episodes 1-7 and was wondering if their is a better alternative. They aren't bad, I just find that the way they display song lyrics and karaoke for them during battle scenes is pretty distracting.

So it's a big thread and I just recently started watching Macross F so I'm hoping someone can give me some quick and easy answers.

Which subs do people think are the best? I've been watching Lunar from episodes 1-7 and was wondering if their is a better alternative. They aren't bad, I just find that the way they display song lyrics and karaoke for them during battle scenes is pretty distracting.

Lunar AVIs are ok. I prefer Shinsen or Menclave (whenever those 2 will get back to Frontier).

If your computer can take it, get the BD releases from THORA which I believe are using Shinsen's subtitles.

Anybody know how to get the Thora 01 to play? Downloaded it and it's just a bunch of .ttf, .otf and one .ass file. Can't get it to play using either VLC or Media Player Classic.

Thora 02 to 07 are all .MKV and play fine for me using CCCP & Media Player Classic.

Graham

Anybody know how to get the Thora 01 to play? Downloaded it and it's just a bunch of .ttf, .otf and one .ass file. Can't get it to play using either VLC or Media Player Classic.

Thora 02 to 07 are all .MKV and play fine for me using CCCP & Media Player Classic.

Graham

That's the sub file that THORA seeded for episode 01, not the actual video. You just mistook it for the actual episode, which is still being seeded so no worries.

Wow, I just noticed something totally awesome. When i was rewatching THORA's Blu-Ray rip of episode 06, Bye Bye Sheryl, from around 20:43 - 20:50, they significantly improved the animation and picture quality of that scene when compared to when it was first aired on TV. I only noticed this because it used to look pretty awkward and stiff when I first saw it in the older version. I knew they were fixing animation mistakes, but I didn't think they'd go as far as to actually improving some animations scenes. Pretty sweet. Sorry if you guys have found this out ahead of time.

Wow, I just noticed something totally awesome. When i was rewatching THORA's Blu-Ray rip of episode 06, Bye Bye Sheryl, from around 20:43 - 20:50, they significantly improved the animation and picture quality of that scene when compared to when it was first aired on TV. I only noticed this because it used to look pretty awkward and stiff when I first saw it in the older version. I knew they were fixing animation mistakes, but I didn't think they'd go as far as to actually improving some animations scenes. Pretty sweet. Sorry if you guys have found this out ahead of time.

There will be a lot more. Working long hours, the animators missed lots of things. The DVD/Blu-ray releases will probably fix most of the mistakes or add the detail they had to go without now that the animation crew can actually relax.

Has anyone noticed that there are 1080p BD raws out there, but THORA is releasing these as 720p? I haven't tried any of these out on my plasma yet, but I'm wondering if it would be good to repackage the subs and movie files with the 1080p video out there for those who own 1080p TVs.

Has anyone noticed that there are 1080p BD raws out there, but THORA is releasing these as 720p? I haven't tried any of these out on my plasma yet, but I'm wondering if it would be good to repackage the subs and movie files with the 1080p video out there for those who own 1080p TVs.

Seems like a good idea, although I'm not sure how many here actually have the capability to enjoy 1080p.

Alright so I just recently finished watching the entire series with Lunar's subs, and while it's a great series I feel I could have enjoyed it with better subs. I noticed typos quite a few times throughout the series and some of their choices of words for translations seemed a bit awkward. Also their subs were pretty huge and song lyrics a bit distracting at times. With that said, has any other group finished subbing the entire series?

I wish I had the ability to enjoy THORA's vids to it's fullest capabilities but I don't have an HDTV. From the still shots I've seen the quality looks phenomenal. And since they're doing the Blu-ray releases which have some improved animation I'll probably end up downloading and converting them into a lower resolution (which will probably still look fantastic on a SDTV) at some point in the future, but they're far from having the entire series finished.

The THORA releases look great on my LCD TV. I convert the MKV to an M2TS file. And run them on my PS3. I dunno if they'd look that much better at 1080p.

Consider my interest piqued. So how does one convert an MKV file to M2TS so that I may watch Macross Frontier on my PS3.?

Edited by d3v

Consider my interest piqued. So how does one convert an MKV file to M2TS so that I may watch Macross Frontier on my PS3.?

Try xvid4psp (it does more than the psp) and this tutorial. You'll need to download the latest CCCP pack (if you don't have it).

http://animeted.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/h...itles-embedded/

You could also try mkv2vob. This program is less trial & error. Subtitles won't look the same. They will be generic white.

My experience sadly is that if your computer doesn't have the horsepower to properly render the the video as an .mkv, it probably will choke trying to convert it.

22 minute SD .mkv's play fine on my PC but longer in HD ones lose their sound sync. I can't say I've had much luck with mkv2vob or other converters on the PC. They either choke or don't render the subs. I've had some success with mkvtools under OS X but it's hit or miss too.

I think I just need a newer computer! Maybe I'll give mkv2vob a try again...

Edited by DestroidDefender

Alright so I just recently finished watching the entire series with Lunar's subs, and while it's a great series I feel I could have enjoyed it with better subs. I noticed typos quite a few times throughout the series and some of their choices of words for translations seemed a bit awkward. Also their subs were pretty huge and song lyrics a bit distracting at times. With that said, has any other group finished subbing the entire series?

I wish I had the ability to enjoy THORA's vids to it's fullest capabilities but I don't have an HDTV. From the still shots I've seen the quality looks phenomenal. And since they're doing the Blu-ray releases which have some improved animation I'll probably end up downloading and converting them into a lower resolution (which will probably still look fantastic on a SDTV) at some point in the future, but they're far from having the entire series finished.

Anyone got an answer for me? I know it may seem like I'm being a tad impatient quoting myself to get an answer but I just didn't want my question getting lost on the previous page is all.

My experience sadly is that if your computer doesn't have the horsepower to properly render the the video as an .mkv, it probably will choke trying to convert it.

22 minute SD .mkv's play fine on my PC but longer in HD ones lose their sound sync. I can't say I've had much luck with mkv2vob or other converters on the PC. They either choke or don't render the subs. I've had some success with mkvtools under OS X but it's hit or miss too.

I think I just need a newer computer! Maybe I'll give mkv2vob a try again...

Got me a dual core rig with a coupe of gigs of RAM, I can play MKVs fine.

@dejr8bud

Thanks, I'll be trying the links you posted out when I have free time.

Edited by d3v

That's what I want to know, I like their subs the best.

We don't seem to be getting any answers on shinsen. If they dumped the show thats a real pity, their subs were archive quality without buying the official blu-ray discs.

Taksraven