Relations to Previous Series Characters....

MisaForever

Now if this has been discussed elsewhere or mentioned, please don't be an @$$ and put me down about it, just say so. :p But has anyone else noticed that Sheryl's last name is the same as Mao and Sara's from Macross Zero? Nome? Just something I noticed while reading a few things. Thanks ^_^

Personally, I'd hope the names have no connection and that Kawamori and Co. simply like the name (however fleeting that hope may be). I don't like character connections like that. It makes the universe feel small, less creative and gives the impression that it's always the same group of people involved in everything, even across generations.

Personally, I'd hope the names have no connection and that Kawamori and Co. simply like the name (however fleeting that hope may be). I don't like character connections like that. It makes the universe feel small, less creative and gives the impression that it's always the same group of people involved in everything, even across generations.

I agree with you on that. Hopefully there is no actual connection as I can't really see it making much sense anyways.

For all we know, they may never touch on it, or it comes as an afterthought. "Oh, Sheryl's family originally came from Earth."

There's an example of "same last name - no relation", with Aegis and Roy... so it's difficult to know at this point if Sheryl and Sara / Mao are related.

GGemini, Hi. How do you know that Macross VFX-2 pilot Aegis Fokker doesn't have any relationship with Roy Kokker: They are both blonds and elite pilots.

Also, the LaSalle one.

And the Nome's girls....

Is not a coincidence

Edited by rankalee

Mao had her blood mixed with the Birdman/Birdhuman (what is the official name for this device), so I think that that genetic link will be what the "Bugs" are after. Mind you, it did seem to be zeroing in on Lanka as well. Maybe they just like young girls. ; )

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

GGemini, Hi. How do you know that Macross VFX-2 pilot Aegis Fokker doesn't have any relationship with Roy Kokker: They are both blonds and elite pilots.

Also, the LaSalle one.

And the Nome's girls....

Is not a coincidence

Roy died in 2009, Aegis was born in 2024. If Roy had a bastard child born before 2009, and that child had a kid, then MAYBE they could be related...

The LaSalle family makes more sense as Edgar could easily be Claudia's brother... still, nothing was confirmed.

We'll see if there's a link in the Nome family :)

Well because of Kawamori's retcons there will be plenty of "links to the past" spread through out Macross.

Nome helps to tie-in Macross Zero with the show and the main cast. So in that respect I'm seeing ALOT of Macross 7 & Macross Zero "Magical" hand waving happening. Expect a rougue singing AI to pop-up and plenty of Super-dickery and Batman plot armor spread through-out Macross: Frontier. You know kinda like Gundam Wing. ;)

Edited by chrono

Mao had her blood mixed with the Birdman/Birdhuman (what is the official name for this device), so I think that that genetic link will be what the "Bugs" are after. Mind you, it did seem to be zeroing in on Lanka as well. Maybe they just like young girls. ; )

Taksraven

Recall also that, even before they transfused Mao with the Birdman's blood, there were already Protoculture anomalies in the islanders' blood. So I'm inclined to agree, while Aegis and Edgar may or may not be anything more than coincidence, Sheryl's relation to Sara or Mao (and by extension, the Mayans) is likely very deliberate.

Also, the LaSalle one.

And the Nome's girls....

Is not a coincidence

No, of course it's not a coincidence...but that doesn't mean the characters are related.

I really hope Sheryl "I'm a super star and don't care about the little people" Nome isn't related to Sara or Mao - both Sara and Mao are very wonderful people. Sara because she is so dedicated and serious about protecting her people while also being a delicate woman with a tragic past (like Misa Hayes!) is very lovely, and Mao is just spirited and fun and very nice.

Sheryl sucks.

VFTF1

This is your verdict after a handful of lines of dialog?

Yes. Sheryl clearly didn't care or show any empathy for the safety of her fans. Whereas Minmey bravely stayed and sang during a Zendradi attack (albeit at Kaifun's prompting, but what counts is that she didn't ignore him) and Basara actually went out to the enemy to sing - Sheryl acts like a typical phony manufactured celebrity and runs away as soon as things get dangerous.

Also, when she brushes off that princess guy who accosts her for doing so - she only shows how low she is.

I would be more sympathetic if Sheryl were shown as being scared - but she is just shown as being concieted.

Sometimes one line of dialogue is enough. Granted, she can redeem herself - I'm not silly enough to condemn someone on the basis of one episode --- but the fact is, the first impression that she makes, in contradistinction to Mao or Sara - is not good.

Sara wasn't scared of a soldier sticking a sharp object into her face (that it was a "love letter" didn't matter - Sara could obviously tell that it was sharp and potentially dangerous - but she wanted to maintain the demeanor of a brave leader of her people and so didn't flinch - and Mao was very empathetic from the get go).

So to recap: Sheryl sucks.

VFTFQ

Yes. Sheryl clearly didn't care or show any empathy for the safety of her fans. Whereas Minmey bravely stayed and sang during a Zendradi attack (albeit at Kaifun's prompting, but what counts is that she didn't ignore him) and Basara actually went out to the enemy to sing - Sheryl acts like a typical phony manufactured celebrity and runs away as soon as things get dangerous.

Also, when she brushes off that princess guy who accosts her for doing so - she only shows how low she is.

I would be more sympathetic if Sheryl were shown as being scared - but she is just shown as being concieted.

Sometimes one line of dialogue is enough. Granted, she can redeem herself - I'm not silly enough to condemn someone on the basis of one episode --- but the fact is, the first impression that she makes, in contradistinction to Mao or Sara - is not good.

Sara wasn't scared of a soldier sticking a sharp object into her face (that it was a "love letter" didn't matter - Sara could obviously tell that it was sharp and potentially dangerous - but she wanted to maintain the demeanor of a brave leader of her people and so didn't flinch - and Mao was very empathetic from the get go).

VFTFQ

YOU WILL LISTEN TO SHERYL'S SONG!!

LET'S NOMU!!

VFTFQ

Ah, but the mark of good character writing is that, as events unfold, the character grows in response to them. Hikaru joined the military to impress Minmay, but ultimately came to believe there was value in his service. Shin started off as a "I don't need anyone" loner hotshot, but came to value his relationships. Gamlin hated Basara's "interference" during battles with the Varauta, but became one of Sound Force's biggest supporters. I'd like to think that even Isamu gained a little maturity during the events of Macross Plus.

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with assessment that Sheryl's behavior in the first episode leaves the viewer with an initially negative opinion of her, as one of the main characters I hardly expect her attitude to remain static over the course of the show.

Taksraven

I suspect the Nome name is NOT coincidental. Kawamori can be a very specific story craftsman when he wants to be. We found out in the Manga that Ozuma sort of adopted Lanka as a little sister, so her origins are still a mystery. If Sheryl is anima spiritia as a result of her bloodline, then that would pose quite a dilemma for the Varja if they are seeking one and both Lanka and Sheryl should possess the ability.

I don't think it is so much shrinking the universe Marchingtonowhere, as a plot device to explain why the Varja didn't simply swarm the fleet, wipe it out and move on. We know the Nome's are indirect decendents of the first protoculture and thus possess unique protoculture-like abilities. Keep in mind the theme of the franchise is the legacy of the Protoculture, not mankind's travels across the stars.

Besides, if they nuked the fleet it would be an awfully short series and we wouldn't get more of Kano's amazing music... :p

With each successive series (excluding Mac Plus) more of the mystery of the enigmantic PC is revealed. I expect this show will be no different.

Edited by Zinjo

I'm totally agree with you man. ;)

I dunno having some relations is okay... I mean people have relatives usually and they usually live somewhere. So having one major character be a relative of one other character is fine as long as they arn't all connected.

You know... like the Grants in Robotech, the last surviving African American family!

I suppose we can be grateful that EVERY black character isn't named LaSalle, unlike a certain extended Grant family...

I dunno having some relations is okay... I mean people have relatives usually and they usually live somewhere. So having one major character be a relative of one other character is fine as long as they arn't all connected.

You know... like the Grants in Robotech, the last surviving African American family!

Dude, quit ripping off my punch lines. :p

It's too much a stretch. It reduces the entire human race to happenstance of a single gene pool and that's simply not the way it works. The events of each Macross sequel might as well have taken place in Tibet for all the connection they have between each other. Kawamori and Co. even admit that including Max/Milia in Macross 7 and Roy in M0 was for purposes of fan service only. It feels forced each time they do it and it makes for bad fiction. Roy had no character arch worth his inclusion in Zero and Max/Milia looking like they were still in their 20s was ridiculous. I'd really prefer it if they stop doing that and concentrate on new characters. Just my opinion.

It's too much a stretch. It reduces the entire human race to happenstance of a single gene pool and that's simply not the way it works. The events of each Macross sequel might as well have taken place in Tibet for all the connection they have between each other. Kawamori and Co. even admit that including Max/Milia in Macross 7 and Roy in M0 was for purposes of fan service only. It feels forced each time they do it and it makes for bad fiction. Roy had no character arch worth his inclusion in Zero and Max/Milia looking like they were still in their 20s was ridiculous. I'd really prefer it if they stop doing that and concentrate on new characters. Just my opinion.

Havn't you ever had the experience of meeting up with someone you lost touch with or just unexpectedly meeting someone in another city or country without knowing that they'd be there? It happens more often then you think, and there's nothing wrong with it on a small scale... like if say one of the characters was related to one of the Bridge bunnies or something I wouldn't bat an eye, it just provides some connection to show it is the same universe and that these people had family.

Honestly, stranger things have happened.