Podcast: Macross 7

Ginrai

Good stuff! And thanks for mentioning "Honey" Suzuki, who's probably my favorite minor character in M7.

I don't adore 7 the way the you guys do, but it can be a lot of fun, and you communicated that sense of fun really well.

EDIT: By the way, when are you going to invite Doug Bendo on your show? THAT would be awesome!

Edited by Gubaba

I'm going to have to listen to this just so I can find out what it was I was supposed to like about that steaming pile... I seem to remember cringing and raising an eyebrow a whole lot more than smilling and chuckling. Hopefully that's just brushed away by some comment about how this was clearly a show aimed at a very young audience or something.

I had not listened to any of your podcasts before, but I really enjoyed this very much! Well done. B)) I have not seen the show in a long time and that podcast reminded me of some of the things I love about it.

While it is not perfect, I do think Macross 7 is a great show, and you can enjoy it no matter your age, as long as you are not expecting something else.

It just so happens that I recently decided to make some Mac7 DVDs for my little brother so I'll get the chance to see a bit of it again soon.

Well, I think Macross 7 is fundamentally ridiculous, which is why it's so much fun. It's not a serious show, but anime does not have to be serious business. It's a bright, silly, fun little TV show.

Which is where it loses me, because I see the Macross franchise as "serious". I guess I was kinda looking forward to it being handled like Robotech is in the podcasts. But, whichever, I did listen to it all. :)

At this point, I'm just a little surprised Gurren Lagann, which is obscenely over the top, hasn't gotten a show yet. B))

I don't even think it was a show aimed at a very young audience, I think it was a show aimed at people with a sense of humor.

I insult Mac7, you insult me? There's something ironic to such a childish response to a complaint the show was aimed at children.

Which is where it loses me, because I see the Macross franchise as "serious". I guess I was kinda looking forward to it being handled like Robotech is in the podcasts. But, whichever, I did listen to it all. :)

At this point, I'm just a little surprised Gurren Lagann, which is obscenely over the top, hasn't gotten a show yet. B))

Most of the Robotech hate comes from me. I mean, Jeremy didn't even want to do Shadow Chronicles lol.

Neither of us have seen Gurren Lagann and I personally am not in a rush to see any Gainax show.

And I doubt we will ever have any heated guests on the show mostly because of the way Jeremy and I record the show. We locally record each person's audio and then combine them into one file. It would be kinda difficult to make someone look like a fool on the show and then ask them for their audio file.

And Jenius, stop being a silly goose.

Edited by VF5SS

And I doubt we will ever have any heated guests on the show mostly because of the way Jeremy and I record the show. We locally record each person's audio and then combine them into one file. It would be kinda difficult to make someone look like a fool on the show and then ask them for their audio file.

Oh well...that episode would've been a pip. I mean, if he went off on you for THREE HOURS after you just mentioned his name in passing, , actually talking TO him would probably get his blood pressure so high that his heart would explode like a frightened rabbit's.

Okay, I'm listening to the Podcast now, and after having heard "I don't care what you think, I love this!" enough times I understand why my comment before listening to the podcast was met the way it was. I'd add something more but there's clearly no point.

Hey guys, I've listened to a couple of your other podcasts, and I thought this one was pretty on the mark. "Its all about rocking women into space orgasms"... brilliant. I actually expected something like what the resident bashers here believed to be the "only legitimate opinion" on macross 7, but I was pleasantly surprised by your take on it and had a great laugh in the process. I thought it was waaaaay better than if you had simply bashed it or lavished praise on it, as some might have done. Actually, because of this episode, I've decided to subscribe to your podcast full time.

Keep it up.

Edited by Noyhauser

It was definitely different then most of your podcasts, you came off so high energy about how much you loved it I almost expected you to jump out a few minutes into it and yell, it sucks. Now I don't love Mac-7 the way some do, but I don't hate it either. I just find that it took what was essentially a very dark and introspective, if not spiritual tale that sheds a ton of light on the whole macross backstory and lightened it way too much. If anything I think that the fell of the Mac-7 movie fits the general story much better, it is darker, it is moodier, which the heart of the story truly is. Now I'm not saying it should be remade, far from it, I hate remakes for the most part, but if say the whole franchise were to be rebooted/redone then macross-7 should definitely be redone with a darker, moodier feel.

Macross 7 is good in one respect - it really does compel you, like an Jesus in the Exorcist or something - to open your heart.

I hated Basara and the whole thing at the beginning - his big red fighter, his tight jeans worn with that wife-beater green shirt thing, and those sun glasses! Ewww! They just don't look right... Mylene was fun, but mostly in the way she related to her mom and to her security guard... I also just couldn't stomach the new Mecha...they were ALL too colorful...

and then the music AAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!

But as the series dragged on, I found myself suddenly liking Basara more and more, and suddenly opening up to his message of peace and love.

And by the show's end - I was a Macross 7 fan; and a BIG Fire Bomber fan.

Love it.

VFTF1

Exactly. They refuse to open their hearts to Macross 7.

Opening your heart is one thing, turning off your brain is another. A lot of the series comes accross as a parody or simplifacation of the original series themes, to those people who got into Macross for the militaristic side. None of that makes it a bad anime, but appeals to emoution like that do little to gain converts for the series. In fact, statments like that just make the violent split between macross fans worse.