Would you like a Macross 7 remake?

dakedo

Would you like a Macross 7 remake?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a Macross 7 remake?

• Hell yes
    • Leave it as it is
    • I dont care

Hmm, M7 hatred again.

Going back a few posts, I have this image of Mylene & Basara appearing in Frontier having aged into a Sharon and Ozzy Osborne type couple. That would be a good way to bring aspects of 7 into the anime.

"Listen to my f@#!in' song, M&^@#?f*&@ers!"

"Oh, shut the f%^# up, Basara!"

Actually...as I said before, I'm in the middle of rewatching M7 right now, and the thing that REALLY bugs me about it is not the goofiness or the lack of intense mecha scenes, or the cartoonish villains...but the fact that the animators seem to have no idea how to play a guitar...really blows all the concert scenes for me.

I have no idea why that has become my ultimate M7 pet peeve, but it has.

Remake Macross 7?

I think not.

It's a good series as is - it took me a while to fall in love with, but Basara's music does ultimately win you over in the end - and after the somewhat monotonous first few eps; a really interesting story line explodes and I do care about the cast.

Sure; I have pet peeves - and sure, I have NO pet peeves with SDF M TV...so in that respect M7 is a "step down"...

But I also have pet peeves with Macross Plus and none with Zero...

So maybe I just have trouble with the "Macross as Star Trek" vibe and prefer things to be a bit more grounded; earth, near earth; our solar system...

But all in all - I am a big Basara fan; the music is great; the story is great, the villains are great...

Can't wait to watch the entire series again.

VFTF1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a blindingly obvious statement, and I know that there are plenty of Macross 7 fans out there, but the people who dislike Macross 7 clearly do so VERY passionately and for some (no names mentioned, you know who you are), it would seem that they actually derive some sort of enjoyment out of hating Macross 7 and a certain major character in the series.

Now, since I have never had the opportunity to see it, I have to ask.

Is it really that bad??

Taksraven

This is a blindingly obvious statement, and I know that there are plenty of Macross 7 fans out there, but the people who dislike Macross 7 clearly do so VERY passionately and for some (no names mentioned, you know who you are), it would seem that they actually derive some sort of enjoyment out of hating Macross 7 and a certain major character in the series.

Now, since I have never had the opportunity to see it, I have to ask.

Is it really that bad??

Taksraven

I'm trying to word this carefully, so as not to cause offense (or break the rules)...I think for some, Macross 7 becomes grist for the punditry mill. I notice that a lot of political buzzwords (from both the right and the left) somehow make their way into the Macross 7 posts. I wonder if people here aren't using Macross 7 to talk about other things, or using it as a symbol of things they either love or hate about the politcal/cultural landscape.

So (I think...), simply as entertainment, no one would say it was THAT bad (or THAT good), but its "message" (whther or not that message is present or simply inferred) is what really riles people up/wins them over.

I could be reading too much into this, however.

Elminate fire bomber and basara nekki.

the focus should be on battle 7 on how max jenius handles the situation

improve the fight scenes.

Yeah! And while you're about it - change the name to Robotech ;)

VFTF1

I'd love a DYRL style redo of 7. Granted, I'd rather something entirely new, and Frontier seems to be doing that just fine, but I certainly would not be disappointed to hear M7 was being revisited with better direction.

The importance of presentation cannot be understated, and I really think that was the part of the series where they really dropped the ball. I still enjoy the show, qutie a bit actually, but I can certainly see why it splits Macross fans the way it does, and I believe it doesn't have to.

Just to spite haters, I hope Basara pops up prominently for a couple episodes of F!

Actually, I think that'd be pretty cool. Heh. I dig Ozma blasting Fire Bomber driving down the road.

A Macross 7 remake would be silly - the series exists as it is. Deal with it. If you don't like it as it is then don't watch it - it's as simple as.

IMO the only viable and interesting way to revisit Macross 7 would be to essentially do DYRL for Macross 7. In a sens it's actually surprising that it didn't happen since it seems an habit with Kawamori's series a it happend for Macross, Escaflowne and Aquarion. (though I wonder how involved in was with Escaflowne's movie since it felt so non-Kawamorish)

-Sergorn

I voted to keep it as-is, only for lack of a "Remaster it!" option on the ballot.

Mac7 is easily my favorite among the sequels available (though Frontier may depose it in the next several months).

It's been remastered and released into two box sets that came out last September (BCBA-3049) and October (BCBA-3050). Unfortunately, I haven't had the $300+ needed to buy either of the boxes. T-T

But, I think you will enjoy it. I have a friend who bought them and he says they did an excellent job with it. ^-^b

peace

Remake Macross 7?

I think not.

It's a good series as is - it took me a while to fall in love with, but Basara's music does ultimately win you over in the end - and after the somewhat monotonous first few eps; a really interesting story line explodes and I do care about the cast.

Sure; I have pet peeves - and sure, I have NO pet peeves with SDF M TV...so in that respect M7 is a "step down"...

Macross 7 is one of my all-time favorite series, but even with my favorite shows I find pet peeves. My pet peeve with Macross 7 is that even though there are literally dozens of excellent Fire Bomber songs used in the series, they feel the need to focus on "Planet Dance" so much.

My pet peeve with the origional Macross - actually, it's with Robotech (i've only seen a little actual Macross) - is that they keep intoducing Minmay's "new song" and it's always the same flippin' song! Did they only make a couple songs for the dub version?

I also think it would be fun to see a cameo or two by Basara and Fire Bomber in the new series.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility. There's been a lot of "Fire Bomber" activity this last year in honor of Macross's 25th anniversary. Even outside of that, Yoshiki Fukuyama and Nobutoshi Canna (Nekki Basara's singing voice/guitar and actor respectively) have been singing and creating "internet radio" broadcasts together as "Fukujin". Their web site is at: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/fukujin2007/

Such a cameo would be cool to see...

peace

if a remade was done...fire bomber should not fly silly looking valkyries while playing music. instead, they should be place on a dome near battle 7 or somewhere in the heart of the fleet where they can jam all they want with sound boosters surrounding them. atleast basara and fire bomber can't ruin the story and be sidelined as just military assets and he can't get in the way of military. and from there, they can generate the so called spiritia energy to counter the protodeviln

the story should be done from the point of view of the military and not from basara and his pacifist singing crap. it could be nice if they focused on the max jenius and the military and this includes diamond and emerald force. pls no more fire bomber crap!

fighters from from regulars to special forces should be equipped with sound boosters to confuse the varauta or protedeviln while fire bomber sings their songs and at the same time be equipped with missiles and guns and shoot down those varauta bastards. and add more real dogfight scenes. same thing goes for the ships. with numrous sound booster attached to any military asset they could bring them down in no time and not focus resources on fire bomber valkyries and basara especially.

a darker story with deaths and losses affecting the citizens and characters and the need to show more emotion and desperation of survival for macross 7

Elminate fire bomber and basara nekki.

the focus should be on battle 7 on how max jenius handles the situation

improve the fight scenes.

if a remade was done...fire bomber should not fly silly looking valkyries while playing music. instead, they should be place on a dome near battle 7 or somewhere in the heart of the fleet where they can jam all they want with sound boosters surrounding them. atleast basara and fire bomber can't ruin the story and be sidelined as just military assets and he can't get in the way of military. and from there, they can generate the so called spiritia energy to counter the protodeviln

the story should be done from the point of view of the military and not from basara and his pacifist singing crap. it could be nice if they focused on the max jenius and the military and this includes diamond and emerald force. pls no more fire bomber crap!

fighters from from regulars to special forces should be equipped with sound boosters to confuse the varauta or protedeviln while fire bomber sings their songs and at the same time be equipped with missiles and guns and shoot down those varauta bastards. and add more real dogfight scenes. same thing goes for the ships. with numrous sound booster attached to any military asset they could bring them down in no time and not focus resources on fire bomber valkyries and basara especially.

a darker story with deaths and losses affecting the citizens and characters and the need to show more emotion and desperation of survival for macross 7

:blink:

You posted twice in same thread, saying the same thing...?

:blink:

Let's wait a week and see if he says the same thing again...

But, as was pointed out on another thread, unlike a former Macrossworlder, jasgripen still hasn't gotten to the point of claiming that Macross 7 makes little boys gay...at least, not yet.

A part of me says yes, but its not necessary. As everyone else said, 7 is in the past and Macross Frontier is now. Still, I thought a few aspects of Macross 7 could have been improved. I felt the fact that it was made at the same time as the Macross Plus OVA's sort of hurt it a little bit. The animation, IMO is even below the original Macross series

Well if the remake is not going to happen, at least they should try repainting the Varauta army valks in a remastered edition. I mean, they are pink!

I know the pilots were like zombies and they didnt care, but still, it should be embarrasing to pilot a pink valk.

Of course, If I had thousands of zombie minions like the protodevlins had, I would make fun of them, I would have them wear ridiculous wigs or would order them to learn some coregraphic steps, and so on just for fun, but I would definitely not make them pilot pink Valks... hum wait a minute, oh man those protodevlins were really evil.

ROFLMAO :lol:

I really don't understand how you're associationg "singing" with "fluffy," but whatever. Fact of the matter is, if Basara had shot up his enemies, it would have been the run of the mill everything that's been done before, and all things considered in context, the Protodevelin were so strong that the 7 fleet was way outgunned, even with reaction weapons.

Telekenetic/chi/whatever powers are nothing new to anime, aren't localized to any one genre, and are quite proficient within the culture. It's just as silly as complaining about Newtypes in Gundam, Overmen in Votoms, or Jedi in Star Wars.

Well said!

As for a M7 remake, I would like a M7 movie summarizing the whole series, perhaps from another POV like what many others said. But would prefer them to focus on M:Frontier now.

^_^

Or, instead of remaking it, maybe we should take a page from one of the guys at Robotech.com, who is rewriting Mac7 to fit in with Robotech...Max is now Admiral Scott Bernard, Ariel is dead, Mylene is now Marlene Bernard, and Basara has been renamed "Nick Vasillis." Sounds like a winner to me!</sarcasm>

actually i've been suspecting that M:Frontier has elements suggesting

(1) Mospeada style armored suit -> X-Gear

(2) Southern Cross "arming doublet" combat suit -> the suit Cathy n others were wearing when they rescued Sheryl in Ep 3 looks very similar in style.

Perhaps Kawamori and co. has plans to sell the animation to the Robotech guys...

Stay tuned.

:ph34r:

Edited by Shun

The animation, IMO is even below the original Macross series

Yes and no. SDF:M had seriously inconsistent animation.

Battle animations were usually well done, whereas in M7 the battle animation was seriously lacking. Recycled animation was usually well done, whereas recycled animation in M7, aside from Battle 7's transformation which is great, was pretty poor.

For the rest, well, while SDF:M had it's high points (Misa exiting the shuttle when she went to Earth to speak to the higher-ups), and it's lows ( knife fight! ), M7 remains pretty consistent for the most part. Characters were usually decently animated and expressive, though backgrounds were often plain, to downright lacking.

It's really kind of a trade off, but I wouldn't say M7 had indisputably worse animation.

On the other hand, when I think of "Macross animation", I tend to think of incredible dogfights and missiles everywhere, something distinctly lacking in M7.

• 4 weeks later...
I would have to say yes, ONLY if the series focused was on actual military fighter pilots, and not a rock band flying mecha controlled by musical instruments! I am sorry, but as it stands now, I don't like macross 7! :angry:

...because there are so few robot shows done from the perspective of the military, and WAY too many "Rock Band Robot" shows, right? :rolleyes:

Heck yeah I'd like a remake. But this time, get rid of all the filler stuff and keep it nice and short.

The biggest problem with the original IMO was that it had too much filler and only really picked up the pace halfway through.

Hey all.

I love Macross 7, but I do have a few complaints about it which others have already made (focusing on "Planet Dance" and the redundant "Let's have a concert OH NO ALIEN ATTACK" filler episodes). I wouldn't want to see a remake of it now because it would just have pretty good computer animation for the mecha and sh*tty character animation. Seriously, it's like Japan can't do good character animation anymore. For the record I think the original M7 animation was pretty good, and the characters and mecha looked great, although nothing (including DYRL) beats the original Macross in terms of air/space combat choreography.

Now if we could go back in time to the mid-nineties, a DYRL style movie would be perfect for Macross 7 because you could shorten the sh*t out M7 and still keep most of the story.

After watching a couple episodes here and there, I found myself rolling my eyes for 25 minutes straight. However during episode 1, all I could see what what potential it had... had they just tweaked it from the very beginning the few things there were so... corny... I actually found myself liking the characters, and that it could have been a cool idea without such iffy and well... just plain terrible execution.

Then again, remaking it would put a lot of trust in the ability to keep it along the same path, but removing the flaws it had, and may just end up making both sides hate it. So meh.

Really, it felt like they JUST wanted to make a Macross about a band, but 30 minutes before showtime they went "oh, crap, we need to add mecha!". Which actually IMHO, it would have been better without the focus on it.

Edited by StrangeWill

shouldn't this poll have one more option? i mean, if you say "leave it as it is", it basically means the series was perfect as it is. if you say "hell yes", it could mean you want more of it.

so my fourth option would be: "Hell No!! Once is more than enough." :p

Heck yeah I'd like a remake. But this time, get rid of all the filler stuff and keep it nice and short.

The biggest problem with the original IMO was that it had too much filler and only really picked up the pace halfway through.

Yeah...even if they had only cut it to 39 episodes, it would have had twice as much kick.

I like Macross 7, but there really wasn't enough plot (or enough characters!) for 49 episodes...