Appleseed Ex Mechina

I found it was slightly above average, but still better than the previous one (overally, spectacular but stupid action scenes with a more Ghost-in-the-Shel-ish than Appleseed-ish plot): I'd recommend you rent it

• 2 weeks later...

I got the SE, though I haven't watched it yet. There's a bonus disc with documentaries/interviews/etc and a really beautiful steelbook case. Honestly, my (silly) reason for buying it was for the steelbook packaging alone, since it matches the similar case for the other Appleseed CG flick I own. I haven't watched any bonus features yet, however.

I also got screwed, since the SE was supposed to come with a bonus manga at Best Buy. The manager insisted that the book was already in the case, though there was no indication of any such thing. And, of course, when I opened the sucker up, I was SOL. Yay.

I got the SE, though I haven't watched it yet. There's a bonus disc with documentaries/interviews/etc and a really beautiful steelbook case. Honestly, my (silly) reason for buying it was for the steelbook packaging alone, since it matches the similar case for the other Appleseed CG flick I own. I haven't watched any bonus features yet, however.

I also got screwed, since the SE was supposed to come with a bonus manga at Best Buy. The manager insisted that the book was already in the case, though there was no indication of any such thing. And, of course, when I opened the sucker up, I was SOL. Yay.

Call this number:

1-800-553-6937

... and tell them you didn't get the book.

NOBODY got the book, I don't think. Those of us who ordered online (me) got e-mails telling us to call the number and request it. They should be able to hook you up.

Call this number:

1-800-553-6937

... and tell them you didn't get the book.

NOBODY got the book, I don't think. Those of us who ordered online (me) got e-mails telling us to call the number and request it. They should be able to hook you up.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call now.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with an incredibly helpful customer service woman at Best Buy. She laughed when I explained to her how the manager of my local store insisted that the book was inside the dvd case, and then took my info down. She assured me that these books will be mailed out shortly. :) Color me impressed.

Edited by crasis

I watched it yesterday and was pretty impressed. This one has it all: Robots, Big Robots, Big Robots that fly, Big Guns, Unlimited Ammo, zombies (erm, ok), and some hints at tentacle p0rn to top it off. And Deunan has a hot ass.

On a more serious note, I found the overall quality of the production really excellent. The design is unique and shows great care for detail, the characters are well done and convincing, and on the technical side, the motion capturing and character animation was the best I've seen in a long time. The YMO-ish soundtrack fit perfectly.

The plot might not score big points for originality, but it worked better than anything Shirow tried to throw at us in the manga.

Anyone who also liked the movie should take a look at the "The Analysis of Ex Machina" artbook.

-i-

Was this supposed to be a sequel of sorts to the first CGI movie? Because it was pretty clear in the manga and in the 1st movie that Briareos was a black guy before he got Cyborged. Now all of a sudden he looked like Onimusha pre-cyborg. Definitely a continuity problem there.

I would rent it, then decide whether or not you want to buy. If you liked the first movie, you'll probably like this one more. It does everything a bit better.

I really liked the first movie but thought this one sucked. Rented it and not even considering wasting a DVDR to burn it. They overdid it IMHO.

It was so cliche'. storyline had no depth. It seemed to just take bits of several movies and slap 'em together (and not very well at all). You could pretty much figure out everything that was going to happen....in every scene.

There also was no "ooooh cool!" factor in any of the action sequences like the first movie, I thought.

What finally killed it for me was the CG. It was "upgraded" from cell shaded (hand drawn look) to gradient shaded CG (ala final fanatasy CG) for the characters. In my mind that means they stopped trying to make it look like anime and make it look more real. And for me, that is bad juju...

just my $.02