Custom 1/48 Boxes?

Kicker773

hmm.... the largest size paper you can print on without having to use a large digital printer is 12in x 18in i think so it may look a bit akward having the pieces cut and put together on a box.... i'd print it out on 12 x 18 glossy card stock, cut it out to the right size and use spray adhesive to attach it to a box...

my ghetto and cheap plan... probably cost less than $5 to print all the paper.. haha :p

hmm.. i'm open to ideas, but how would this look like.. basically taping it onto a old yamato box is it? how about the texture and etc.?

It could be done decently with great care by spray mounting very evenly and cutting really well without getting bubbles or folds.

hmm.... the largest size paper you can print on without having to use a large digital printer is 12in x 18in i think so it may look a bit akward having the pieces cut and put together on a box.... i'd print it out on 12 x 18 glossy card stock, cut it out to the right size and use spray adhesive to attach it to a box...

my ghetto and cheap plan... probably cost less than $5 to print all the paper.. haha :p

Of course it could be done that way very easily but would look pretty ghetto indeed.

Well, could get around part of it by printing the 3 panels that are 14.25 by 14.627 on a large scale printer and then the other 4 panels on a normal scale printer. However to print on high quality paper with a high quality printer will still run a bit pricey. I can check to get some quotes for this.

I can still shop around to see if I can get a better quote for a full color large scale print at 70" by 32" and hopefully find something that is a lot less than the first quote I got for $150. If any of you have local digital printers maybe see if you can ask them what they would charge for a full color print that size and report back?

I have not given up yet.

• 2 months later...

Back from the Dead!

OK so I have found some online digital printers that can do posters in large scale. The best quote I have found is $74 to print (w/free shipping) the graphic as a poster and then you would have to cut it to fit over an existing 1/48 box. I suppose that if someone donated a box to me I could have it shipped to me and cut it to fit and spray mount on to the existing box and send to you but that would require shipping of the box to me (extra $) and then shipping of the finished thing to you (extra $). What do you think Kicker773 ?

The site was www.digitalroom.com and I was quoting for 56x28 (there would be no wrap around to the inner portion where the plastic window is. So the graphic would end all around just before that).

Sounds good buddy =). I'll try and find a good box somewhere..How would the edges look like I wonder? Will it cover the old edges?

Some of the edges can be tucked in and unseen but some will have to be visible and so really good accurate mounting and cutting would be key. The only place where the edges will be a little bit unfortunately visible is where when you open the flap to see the valk inside through the plastic window, the edges from the three sides will be evident as we are not including that last flap (because it would bring the cost up to $91 at 71"x28").

Would you want the VF-1D or the VF-1D virgin Road?

Yo make one for the Thunder Hammer

Is this a commission request?

But seriously there are enough of you that may want one that it may be worth it. At this point the biggest thing is my time investment. I did the VF-1Ds for Kicker773 for the kicks but seeing as how much time it did take.... it is not a no and it is not yet a yes but it would be a fun project. Possible.

it is not a no and it is not yet a yes

The worst part is when the girl tells you that when you think you may get a chance to score. <_<

:ph34r:

Edited by misterryno

• 2 months later...
http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/re...pro-box-165889/

I made a repro box recently. Here it is.

Awesome

I have been wanting to do the same for ages but due to not being able to get hold of good scans or box sources I have failed. The Deception version of the box would be a sinch to make with the source material.

• 5 weeks later...
That's beautiful! I wish I had one of those!!!

$81.62 for the printing with free ground shipping (+ optional donation if ya feelin it). But it is just a large poster that needs to be trimmed and mounted to an existing box. PM me if you are interested. The file is all ready to go.

That is beautiful! I wish I actually had a 1D to have a box like that.

:ph34r:

Totally feelin you on that one. I cant stop thinking about the V.2 1/60 and how long it is going to be before I get it. I would love the Kurt custom though even more. One of these days.... DECULTURE!!!!!

Aweome Job, Miriya!

Just if you could remove the "Dual Seater Kurt Custom" I think you would have a better market.

Instead of that phrase why not just put:

Trainer Valkyrie

also use the standard VF-1 font as on the other VF-1 boxes.

If you do this, I am totally in for three but I would have to ask you to tweek the colors a bit for other stuff I have in mind. ;)

Aweome Job, Miriya!

Just if you could remove the "Dual Seater Kurt Custom" I think you would have a better market.

Instead of that phrase why not just put:

Trainer Valkyrie

also use the standard VF-1 font as on the other VF-1 boxes.

If you do this, I am totally in for three but I would have to ask you to tweek the colors a bit for other stuff I have in mind. ;)

That is doable. What color tweaks?

awe shucks......

It is true. There are so many extraordinarily skilled members on the macrossworld forums, it is insane. From modelling experts, customizers, kitbashers, CGI artists, Photographers, Pose-masters (you know who you are), Sculpters, costume designers, writers, to programmers. Really a lot of talent. We could start a production company. Make our own macrossworld.

Edited by miriya