Custom 1/48 Boxes?

Kicker773

OK Kicker773,

This is Miriya logging in. I have done a little more work on this. Here is what I am thinking of as the VF-1D (normal version - Virgin Road to follow) Front, Sides, and inner flap (respectively as follows) . I have yet to do the Back part. I had an idea to use a screenshot from episode #2 or a montage of screeshots from that episode for the back. What you think of that?

post-4840-1201476303_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1201476315_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1201476325_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1201476339_thumb.jpg

wow really cool box...are you selling a few of these?...i'd like to buy one.. send me a pm if u can - dave

Thanks. My hope is that if Kicker773 is cool with sharing (and it is totally fine if he wants the only one. It was his idea and his custom so he gets the choice...) that I could see how many others would want one and then could have several printed at once to help cover my costs and hopefully break even. We will see and updates will be posted in this thread. Thanks for the interest. This is my first time doing a custom box like this and we do not have pricing yet. I have not even shopped around for a place to do the boxes yet. It is a bit of a slow process too. If things go well with the first round then I will consider doing custom boxes as a side thing for members here. We will see.

thanks dude...hope to hear from you soon - dave

Thanks. My hope is that if Kicker773 is cool with sharing (and it is totally fine if he wants the only one. It was his idea and his custom so he gets the choice...) that I could see how many others would want one and then could have several printed at once to help cover my costs and hopefully break even. We will see and updates will be posted in this thread. Thanks for the interest. This is my first time doing a custom box like this and we do not have pricing yet. I have not even shopped around for a place to do the boxes yet. It is a bit of a slow process too. If things go well with the first round then I will consider doing custom boxes as a side thing for members here. We will see.

they are some really nice designs

but can you do 1/55 ?

as ive been looking for custom boxes and im looking for one for a custom evil jetfire im thinking of doing, same design box as original jetfire but being evil colours if you get me

but those yamaot boxes are superb, thats how all the boxes should be like

good work B))

they are some really nice designs

but can you do 1/55 ?

as ive been looking for custom boxes and im looking for one for a custom evil jetfire im thinking of doing, same design box as original jetfire but being evil colours if you get me

but those yamaot boxes are superb, thats how all the boxes should be like

good work B))

Thanks for the compliment. I could design for 1/55 that would be fine. The question which is yet to be discovered is how expensive is this custom boxes project going to be? I still have not begun looking for a company that will print one off large scale on to cardboard and do not know what the printing costs will be. I am hoping to find a digital print company that will do this with little to no set up fee and no minimum orders.

The second expense is my design time. This first project with Kicker773 is going to be the text run and we will see how feasible this is. If it is feasible and we find a company that can do a good job for cheap then I will open this up as a service. But until that time we really don't know. If you are cool to wait until we have a first run and get an idea for the costs then that is cool. If you are wanting something quicker and just want the design and will deal with the printing yourself then you could hire me to do the design and then just PM me and we can discuss details for that. LMK....

Miriya I'd love to see a Skull One 1/48 box for the VF-1S Roy as to me the plain black box is a little dull. I also have an up comming project that need box designs done for it, it's a long way off but I really like what you are doing so I'll send you a PM a little later if thats OK. Top work, what's wrong with Yamato your boxes are way better they should higher you. :)

Miriya I'd love to see a Skull One 1/48 box for the VF-1S Roy as to me the plain black box is a little dull. I also have an up comming project that need box designs done for it, it's a long way off but I really like what you are doing so I'll send you a PM a little later if thats OK. Top work, what's wrong with Yamato your boxes are way better they should higher you. :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I would love to design for Yamato and they would have the resources and assets for me to do wayyy more kick ass stuff than this. PM me whenever you feel like it.

I love the VF-1D. For the back graphics I sat in front of my mac cinema display watching SDFMacross episodes 1-3 and holding my camera for the key points of the VF-1D. Then I put them in photoshop and made this montage. I may use this on the back of the box but thought I may as well share this montage image with others so here you all go. . . Enjoy....

post-4840-1202668869_thumb.jpg

Edited by miriya

• 2 weeks later...

I have started to look for a company that will do digital large format printing on non-corogated cardboard with no minimum orders. So far no luck on websearch so I will look to local print shops. I will report back when I get any positive results.

Well I have found one local digital printer that can print on Satin Photogloss 7 mil stock which is not exactly cardboard so it would be a bit thinner and bit less "hard" than the actual yamato box. He can do the large scale. The box when it is all layed out before folding is about 70" by 32" but he would charge $150 per print and then I have to do the cutting and folding myself (extra charge). So this quote seems a bit too expensive. Hopefully I can find a product box prototyping company.

the problem sounds like printing large sheets which requires use of the large scale printer that's super expensive to use..... If i were making these, i'd just print each side of the box separately and sell the set to people to glue onto whatever 1/48 box they made their 1D custom with....

dude, even if it was $50 it'd still be ridiculous.

i'm not sure what you guys are willing to fork over for a box but i'd say $20 max and thats with shipping.

Thank you for the input DND. That is actually quite helpful to me.

First off, what is shipping for a 1/48 box alone? I have paid more than $20 to have my 1/48 sent to me so that would leave no budget for the box printing.

I am certain that there are no companies that will do one-off large scale full color printing on non-corrugated cardboard for $20 or less. When unfolded and unglued the box is about 70" by 32". Even to digitally print on "normal" paper stock at 70" by 32" would cost more (probably a lot more) than $20. I just got a quote for printing for this thinking that at minimum could spray mount the paper to the box (not optimal) and they wanted $100.

I do still have some searching to do and have not given up yet but it is starting to dawn on me that to make a custom box for a 1/48 yammie that is an actual box, looking like a real yammie box, may be more pricey than we expected and more expensive than anyone is willing to shell out.

Other options may be to print on quality paper stock in large scale (If I can get a decent price) and spray mount to an existing box, or to print on quality paper in sections to glue on to an exisitng box in sections.

More research needed.

the problem sounds like printing large sheets which requires use of the large scale printer that's super expensive to use..... If i were making these, i'd just print each side of the box separately and sell the set to people to glue onto whatever 1/48 box they made their 1D custom with....

and thats the man with the plan! and a cheap plan at that.

just print it up and slap it on an existing box.

thanks. Got this after posting my last one. Yes, this may be one option.

and thats the man with the plan! and a cheap plan at that.

just print it up and slap it on an existing box.

So you like that idea? That would certainly be the easiest!

EDIT: Heck, I could even just email you guys the files and you do the printing on photo paper or have it done at your local shop. That at least saves the shipping costs.

Edited by miriya