Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Coming in 2nd in the time slot ratings is a fairly positive afirmation of the episode. However, I do concede (as stated in the context of the statement out of which you quoted "a" sentence) that the 2nd place ranking could just as easily be due to fan "buzz" as a result of the DE version shown back in December...

Then there is the reality that Macross Plus was far better received here than in Japan, compared to Macross 7.

Your reasoning FTL. What does Macross Plus and Macross 7 have to do with the Deculture cut and the broadcast cut? And yes, you should concede, as the broadcast's strong showing could indicate that the Deculture cut left a good taste in viewers and reviews mouths, causing even more to tune in for episode 1.

You can't ""un-watch" a show after having watched it. People can't say, oh hey, I didn't like Deculture cut, so count me as not having watched it. Hell, every single person who watched the broadcast cut may have hated it, we won't really know until we see the numbers on episode 2.

Edited by Duke Togo

Your reasoning FTL. What does Macross Plus and Macross 7 have to do with the Deculture cut and the broadcast cut? And yes, you should concede, as the broadcast's strong showing could indicate that the Deculture cut left a good taste in viewers and reviews mouths, causing even more to tune in for episode 1.

Hmmm, you may want to cut down on the speed reading, I've made that point twice now and a third aint coming... Macross Plus and 7 are an "analogy" for the question you originally asked about a statement I made regarding the differences in Western and Japanese tastes.

You can't ""un-watch" a show after having watched it. People can't say, oh hey, I didn't like Deculture cut, so count me as not having watched it. Hell, every single person who watched the broadcast cut may have hated it, we won't really know until we see the numbers on episode 2.

True enough. However, if said people didn't like the DE then why even bother taking the time to watch the show in the wee hours of the morning or PVRing the episode, just to "not" like it again? Your argument is a double edged sword, my friend... However, I do agree that the numbers for episode 2 will be a greater gauge as to how popular the show may or may not become.

Hmmm, you may want to cut down on the speed reading, I've made that point twice now and a third aint coming... Macross Plus and 7 are an "analogy" for the question you originally asked about a statement I made regarding the differences in Western and Japanese tastes.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.

Deculture came in 6th when shown in December.

Broadcast came in 2nd when shown in April.

One can assume that positive reviews and word of mouth about the Deculture cut lead to the increased ratings of the broadcast cut. Unless someone does an extensive survey, there is no way to really prove this, but one can make a safe assumption. Once again, if ratings go down for episode 2, it will say something (though, I am wondering if they count DVR recordings in the ratings, they don't in the US).

Your Macross Plus/7 to Western/Eastern tastes analogy is totally out of left field. Macross 7 hasn't seen release here, how can we really know how it would do in NA? Hell, Kawamori himself stated in an interview he had NA in mind when developing the series.

I'm not a fan of Mac 7 myself, but what the heck do I know? It may be huge here.

Whatever the case, it doesn't really matter. Its Macross, I'm pretty sure if it gets mediocre ratings, they'll run the entire series.

Edited by Duke Togo

Who said that a 25:10 broadcast time is in the "wee-hours" of the morning? Anything before 26:00 is still prime-time*. :p

*Prime-time starts at 21:00, BTW. See http://tv.yahoo.co.jp/vhf/osaka/2008041019.html?c=0&g=0

I'm so confused, LOL. Granted, its not something all that difficult to do, but, the scheduling is so entirely foreign to me (oooh, look, a pun!)

Your Macross Plus/7 to Western/Eastern tastes analogy is totally out of left field. Macross 7 hasn't seen release here, how can we really know how it would do in NA? Hell, Kawamori himself stated in an interview he had NA in mind when developing the series.

Where did you read that?

I read he based his choice on bringing Max back based on his popularity at a US convention, hardly a basis for a NA release plan.

Kawamori stated in his interview in the August Newtype (translated into English for the November issue of Newtype USA) that Macross Plus was written as a "Foreign" (to the Japanese audience) film, while M7 was designed to be like a Manga show. Hence why Mac Plus didn't do as well as M7 with Japanese audiences, but was huge here. Hardly out of "left field".

I'm not a fan of Mac 7 myself, but what the heck do I know? It may be huge here.

yeah, well so did Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Digimon. That's all we need is for the franchise to be compared to those pre-pubescent productions, with a proliferation of songs few in NA can understand... :rolleyes:

M7 was so heavy laden with jpop music that despite the enormous music licensing fees a distributor would have to incur, most of the casual NA anime audiences would have a difficult time understanding what spiritia is and how it is affected by jpop...

Many of the themes in M7 are very asian (understandable considering the target audience) and quite foreign to outsiders to the culture. I doubt it would utterly fail, but I have strong doubts it would garner enough market share to profit from the costs of distributing all 49 episodes.

Personally, I find it interesting that Western fans prefer the Deculture Edition over the Japanese fan preference of the MBS version. There is still a culture gulf between both fanbases or the "buzz" affect worked as well as expected, by broadcasting the DC edition early.

Based on the Macrossworld poll taken when the Deculture edition aired in December, it scored 82.56%, or 232 out of a 281 Mwers that watched the Deculture edition rated it as 'Oh baby! I need new pants' (highest rating).

For the current poll for the broadacst version, there is no category for 'I need new pants'. Only a category, for loved both the Deculture and Broadcast versions, so a direct comparison of polls is not really possible. However the current figures are: 47 out of 77 Mwers (61.04%) voted that they loved both editions.

Graham

It looks like the Deculture version came in sixth (three points shy of the top five), the MBS broadcast was 2nd, and the TBS broadcast was 3rd.

Ya gotta wonder, though...what kind of competition does it have for the Thursday night Two A.M. slot...? :blink:

At any rate...now we KNOW the ratings were good!

Ok, if Macross Frontier got 2nd in ratings, what got the first place?

Where did you read that?

I read he based his choice on bringing Max back based on his popularity at a US convention, hardly a basis for a NA release plan.

Kawamori stated in his interview in the August Newtype (translated into English for the November issue of Newtype USA) that Macross Plus was written as a "Foreign" (to the Japanese audience) film, while M7 was designed to be like a Manga show. Hence why Mac Plus didn't do as well as M7 with Japanese audiences, but was huge here. Hardly out of "left field".

Macross 7 was never released here, so who is to say how well it would do in relationship to Macross Plus.

Keith is the king of Macross 7, I bet he has a link to it someplace.

No one would dispute Keith's status on Mac 7, however I would like a reference to a planned NA release of 7. That would be a new tidbit of info AFAIK...

Based on the Macrossworld poll taken when the Deculture edition aired in December, it scored 82.56%, or 232 out of a 281 Mwers that watched the Deculture edition rated it as 'Oh baby! I need new pants' (highest rating).

For the current poll for the broadacst version, there is no category for 'I need new pants'. Only a category, for loved both the Deculture and Broadcast versions, so a direct comparison of polls is not really possible. However the current figures are: 47 out of 77 Mwers (61.04%) voted that they loved both editions.

Alright...I'll add a poll for Broadcast vs. Deculture editions tomorrow when I post the poll for episode 2.

No one would dispute Keith's status on Mac 7, however I would like a reference to a planned NA release of 7. That would be a new tidbit of info AFAIK...

Huh what? I never said there was a planned US release.

Huh what? I never said there was a planned US release.

Then clarify this statement:

Hell, Kawamori himself stated in an interview he had NA in mind when developing the series.

If you have something "in mind" is that not a "plan" or part thereof? Does it not affect how you proceed on any given course?

Then clarify this statement:

If you have something "in mind" is that not a "plan" or part thereof? Does it not affect how you proceed on any given course?

I don't believe this is the interview I was thinking of, but it does have a bit about what I was talking about (and your mention of Max and Milia):

"Also, when I went to the United States, I talked to many people and they all liked Max. Perhaps Americans like "genius pilots" better than Japanese do...? I thought that kind of popularity might prove valuable later down the line, and in a certain sense, it has. You could say the idea to bring Max and Miria back (in Macross 7) was an idea that was born during a visit to the US."

and

"Also, I'm hoping Macross 7 can make it on the air in the US"

This doesn't really get into what I was talking about, though. We had a discussion about this a LONG time ago, years ago. Back like 2000-ish. I should poke around here, see if I can find it.

Bah, can't find it. New boards only go back to 2003. Anywho, I was talking about a western influence on Macross 7. That is what I meant by saying he had us english speaking folks "in mind".

Bah, can't find it. New boards only go back to 2003. Anywho, I was talking about a western influence on Macross 7. That is what I meant by saying he had us english speaking folks "in mind".

That's ironic, considering how strong the Eastern influences are, e.g. Chi = Spiritia, not a Western philosophy at all.

That's ironic, considering how strong the Eastern influences are, e.g. Chi = Spiritia, not a Western philosophy at all.

Not quite what I meant, but I certainly remember it coming across to me that he was hoping it would be something that would play well here.

Anyway, enough of the tangent. Episode 2 is out tomorrow, no?

Not quite what I meant, but I certainly remember it coming across to me that he was hoping it would be something that would play well here.

Anyway, enough of the tangent. Episode 2 is out tomorrow, no?

Woohoo!! :DB))

Do not link directly to 4chan or the 2ch image boards. Images only last a certain amount of time before they are pulled and deleted. Save the pictures and host them on a image hosting site.

Courtesy of 4chan

1207772043476.jpg

PS: 56K killers...

Any questions about a "A" variant may be answered by the green battroid in the background of the picture. Sure looks like an "A" head to me...

Any questions about a "A" variant may be answered by the green battroid in the background of the picture. Sure looks like an "A" head to me...

Although, Kawamori could mess with us and label it a "B", "C", or "D". I'd label it "Luca colors" until a letter comes out. :)

Courtesy of 4chan

1207772043476.jpg

PS: 56K killers...

god, look at both those Battroids... i swear i fear for this series if i get EVA UNIT 01! Launch! vibes... :blink: