Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Let's look at Alto's actions in Ep1-deculture (since Ep1-standard isn't available as of the time of this post):

- Folds up a poster of Sheryl into a paper airplane

- Is clearly pissed from getting his test flight interrupted by a flying Sheryl propaganda device

- Says that he doens't see why Sheryl is the "galactic fairy," despite seeing her from more angles than the rest of the audience could ever dream of

- Risks getting shot up or Rodney King'd by a bunch of soldiers just so he can mouth off at Sheryl

+ Strongly apologizes to Ranka for getting mad at her, even though she said he looked like a chick

+ Ranka is able to motivate him into actually putting effort into his concert routine. In fact, he feels so motivated that the water fountains start shooting up in order to hint at what Alto is feeling.

+ Focuses his camera on Ranka, when he hasn't even gotten her phone number yet

I think Alto prefers girls half his size, man.

I know, I was just kidding. Projecting, perhaps...

Oh, and now that I've watched it closer, that Brea Stern character is looking more like a guy. Oh well, at least we've still got Meltrandi!

Bandai Visual's recent mecha anime related video games (like Eureka Seven) were pretty lackluster.

I'd rather see Bandai team up with Sega's AM-2 or Banpresto (A.C.E.) team for another Macross game.

Bandai Visual's recent mecha anime related video games (like Eureka Seven) were pretty lackluster.

I'd rather see Bandai team up with Sega's AM-2 or Banpresto (A.C.E.) team for another Macross game.

If they can come up with something like After Burner Climax, that would be sweet.

Updates:

*Macross F episode 2 schedule changes. This is only for these networks airing episode 2.

MBS 4/10 25:10

CBC 4/10 26:15

TBS 4/11 26:10

TBC 4/11 26:30

SBS 4/11 26:30

RKB 4/14 27:00

What the bloody hell is on TV that is causing these changes...

* JOYSOUND'S 2nd round of the online karaoke contest.

April 1 - April 30

JOYSOUND's second round of karaoke is on. Top 30 participants will receive a free T-shirt.

Details here: http://joysound.com/ex/st/utasuki/campaign9/

*VF-25 naming contest deadline is coming up.

You have until April 20th to submit your VF-25 name.

*May edition of Newtype will have a Macross F article

Contents include:

-Interviews with Aya Endo (Sheryl Nome) and Megumi Nakajima (Lanca Lee).

-Interview with Shoji Kawamori about the 1st episode and a few other things. (Like Alto's EX-Gears, why Lanca's hair moves on it's own, why is Sheryl wearing a holosuit, etc)

On shelves May 10, 2008.

Price: 590 yen

Bad ratings for the first episode?

15 minutes later compared to last week and 10 minutes ahead of the originally scheduled time (it was 25:25 when we first heard), I would hardly call bad ratings.

It may not be so much what is on TV, but what is not on TV. End of March and the beginning of April are the year end, year beginning for many things (school, starting work, transfers, tax & accounting, etc.). The entire TV schedule has been in a flux for the past three weeks, and is only now starting to settle down. IMHO those latest airtimes may be the permanent ones and/or the airdates may change again for the following week, to the times that we first heard.

It may not be so much what is on TV, but what is not on TV. End of March and the beginning of April are the year end, year beginning for many things (school, starting work, transfers, tax & accounting, etc.). The entire TV schedule has been in a flux for the past three weeks, and is only now starting to settle down. IMHO those latest airtimes may be the permanent ones and/or the airdates may change again for the following week, to the times that we first heard.

Yeah, I noticed the flux in the MBS schedule for the week. Even News 23 is pushed around on Thursday and Friday nights. Talk about a flux. Looks like they're cramming stuff in.

Yeah, I noticed the flux in the MBS schedule for the week. Even News 23 is pushed around on Thursday and Friday nights. Talk about a flux. Looks like they're cramming stuff in.

Great, if things weren`t confusing enough already. I`m going to be in the western Japan round that time, and now I have absolutely no idea which day or time the 2nd episode is going to turn up.

What are they cramming in? How many more talk shows where celebrities eat food and shout "OISHII! UMAI!" can Japanese television bear?

And don't forget the "SORE GA KAN-KEI-NE!" guy. Boy, that joke just NEVER gets old! :rolleyes:

Don't you mean "oh-pa-pi"?  (それとおっぱっぴは「そんなの関係ねー」と言ってる)。 He's actually disappeared quite a bit from TV.

Readers should also be reminded that just as Macross F has started, so has a bunch of other new TV shows. Most of those shows being "more popular" and are mostly getting pumped by having their stars show up on other talk shows; which have been extended to "spring special" lengths.

*VF-25 naming contest deadline is coming up.

You have until April 20th to submit your VF-25 name.

Is this the contest in MW or in the official MF website? :unsure:

With Code Geass R2 on the show right now, I'm starting to compare it with MF.

I think that Code Geass won in term of promotion and fan base. In the web alone I found more Code Geass R2 related material (lineart, character, etc) compare to MF.

The only thing that superior from MF right now is the "nyan-nyan" CM.......it somehow make it into a cult or something :ph34r:

I think that Code Geass won in term of promotion and fan base. In the web alone I found more Code Geass R2 related material (lineart, character, etc) compare to MF.

Frontier has had one episode shown so far Code Geass has been on for quite a while already. Of course Code Geass will have more material available.

Graham

Is this the contest in MW or in the official MF website? :unsure:

Official site. But we do have members in Japan on this website.

This is Code Geass' highly anticipated second season. It took over Gundam 00's timeslot (of course that whole block moved to Sundays) so compared to Frontier, Code Geass R2 is like the hit anime this season. Everything is going to look horrible by comparison. If you look at Random Curiosity's blog for Spring season shows, you'll notice he's definitely going put his time to blogging about 1 other show besides MF. Yep, Code Geass R2. The series is just that popular right now.

This is Code Geass' highly anticipated second season. It took over Gundam 00's timeslot (of course that whole block moved to Sundays) so compared to Frontier, Code Geass R2 is like the hit anime this season. Everything is going to look horrible by comparison. If you look at Random Curiosity's blog for Spring season shows, you'll notice he's definitely going put his time to blogging about 1 other show besides MF. Yep, Code Geass R2. The series is just that popular right now.

And its slated for 3 seasons too. Not many ppl on MW seem to be watching Code Geass though.

Anyway still waiting for subs of Macross F. Code Geass already has a sub in 1 day!

:ph34r:

Haven't watched Code Geass myself and have no intention to. For all I know, it may be the most awesome anime in the history of anime, with a kick-ass story, the best music, most interesting characters etc, etc but what I do know is that it has what I personally consider to be really butt-ugly mecha, based on the all the pics I've seen in the hobby magazines. The mecha designs alone are enough to put me off even giving it a chance.

Graham

Haven't watched Code Geass myself and have no intention to. For all I know, it may be the most awesome anime in the history of anime, with a kick-ass story, the best music, most interesting characters etc, etc but what I do know is that it has what I personally consider to be really butt-ugly mecha, based on the all the pics I've seen in the hobby magazines. The mecha designs alone are enough to put me off even giving it a chance.

Graham

I heard similar sentiments on robots riding surf boards. But look how that turned out. :lol:

Anyway still waiting for subs of Macross F. Code Geass already has a sub in 1 day!

:ph34r:

More like FOUR different subs in one day That's insane :blink:

I know it's immensily popular and stuff... but you'd think Macross would have at least enough recognition to get at least one :/

-Sergorn

Hope you're not talking about me. I can't sing and have been paid by friends not to for good reason. I'm only here for a few more days anyway but hopefully be still round for the second episode.

They did hold the contest at the Anime Fair itself and every contestant got a Frontier T-shirt and Satellite clearfile. As expected due to the age of the people attendending, contest I was at anyway, most of the people sang songs from Mac 7. Three people sang "Try Again"(or was that Fly Away?) to varying success but the one, and only, girl there got my respect for singing "Tenshi no Enogu".

Btw, you know how they say at the Macross Live event they would show the first episode of Frontier? Didn't happen, most probably due to the fact the thing was only 30 minutes long and when you factor in both Megumi Nakashima and May'n singing their songs at the event there was barely enough time for them to show anything. Which is probably why they only showed the OP.

They probably did show it but I just wasn't there when they did at their booth screen. What I did see was them showing the DeCulture edition again there, so I'm not sure.

However one thing that really kick things into high gear at the booth event was May'N turning up unexpectedly before the karaoke contest and got the whole crowd to help her with the chorus of "Don't be late". I was slightly deaf by the end of it since I was so close to the speakers at the time. Worth it.

More like FOUR different subs in one day That's insane :blink:

I know it's immensily popular and stuff... but you'd think Macross would have at least enough recognition to get at least one :/

-Sergorn

I expect there are a few groups working on it, but it takes time and unlike the last early offering of subs for a Macross F show, I'd rather wait for quality work.

When Central Anime was subbing Mac 7, they sometimes took a week or two to get out the next episode. Real Life commitments from the members, actual translation time, etc....

This is nothing new...

I did some fansubbing once... And I stopped when I realized just how much pressure is on these VOLUNTEERS to get stuff done for people who don't understand the terrific amount of effort that goes into translation, timing, graphics, etc. Now, I patiently wait for my chosen subber to produce their work, and I'm happy that they're doing all this for free simply to share their enjoyment of the show. Macross Frontier is great, and while we've every right to WANT it soon, we have no right to demand it of people who are really our fellow fans, and not paid workers who are tasked to do it.

Mark

I agree that the fans are getting just a little too impatient in this thread, but such is the volunteer life. You get asked for more and more sooner and sooner and you just can't please everyone. I get asked constantly when I'm going to add this or add that to my website and can I do this or can I do that? It's just the nature of the work and you just have to get used to it. Having said that, I really appreciate the fansubbers and their work. Perhaps it is time for an e-mail of thanks or a donation.

Checking out the OP again, they had to cut 1:30 of animation out of the show to get it in, and we've all seen plenty of anime that forgo the opening on their first episode.

They did... The first episode aired was the Deculture edition. This one was an excuse to shoehorn in more charactrer revealing scenes about Michel and Sheryl and the concert as well as to showcase the flashy new openning with the show's theme...

Essentially they could have edited it more along the lines of the civilian activity during the initial first contact battle and treated it like Part 2 of the Deculture's Part 1. They could have removed Lanca's changing scene, her arrival at the concert hall on the tram, her wandering around lost while the boys were in the park, etc.. All the redundant scenes that were already told in the deculture edition would be expendable and at the same time keep the deculture version of episode 1 on the MBS website for fans who wanted a recap.

It's not that I don't appreciate the work that fansubbers do for us. It's just that I don't understand why it would mean such a huge amount of work on their part knowing that they've already subbed the Deculture Edition, in other words, they already have most of the work done. Yes I know it doesn't just involve the translation, you also have to re-encode and whatnot, but seeing as other groups are doing that very same amount of work in just a day for Geass...it makes me wonder if people are really motivated to sub this series.

I guess we're just unlucky fellas. Before, we just had to worry about Gundam...now, even without any Gundam series airing right now, we still get 2nd place, and the sad thing is that it's against a newcomer such a Code Geass.

Me wants some subs :lol:

Edited by Aegis!

I did some fansubbing once... And I stopped when I realized just how much pressure is on these VOLUNTEERS to get stuff done for people who don't understand the terrific amount of effort that goes into translation, timing, graphics, etc. Now, I patiently wait for my chosen subber to produce their work, and I'm happy that they're doing all this for free simply to share their enjoyment of the show.

Oh I definitly understand the quantity of work required for a fansub and I respect that... I've done some timing myself (which while easy is indeed a long and boring process) and some translating though not from Japanese so yeahI know how much time it requires (as a matter I've started working on a french fansub of Macross 7 based on the english scripts so yeah I know it's definitly a long process).

However what I think somewhat annoying about the fansub scenes... is how we can have the same show being done by half a dozen of them, while some other great show are simply forgotten. I juste wish some time one would say "Well seems X is already doing a great of fansub of Y, so we'll do another great anime called Z this time"

Oh well...

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

Let me ask a RIDICULOUS question. :D Why are we so adamant about getting a subbed version of this??? Most of us agree that it is highly inferior to the Deculture edition AND 90% of this is ALREADY SUBBED!!!!! GOOD LORD!!!! :lol: