My Very First 1/55

misterryno

I just today received my very first 1/55 Bandai Pilot H. Ichigo. I got this off a guy on TFieds for the low low low price of $68.25 shipped. It is MIB and even sealed in plastic I was very excited. I like it so much that I just sent payment to him for a VF-1A as well. Enjoy.....

H.Ichigo1.jpg

H.Ichigo2.jpg

H.Ichigo4.jpg

H.Ichigo5.jpg

H.Ichigo6.jpg

H.Ichigo7.jpg

Yep, there is just something about those chunkies... Yamatos are cool and all, but the 1/55s just have soul that the newer stuff can't match.

That is all too true friend...

:ph34r: MisterRyno :ph34r:

nice pictures....

i'm bandai fans as well here...these guys are simple but still nice...

one day you should aim for those vintage series from bandai and takatoku, but of course, more $$$ will come out :)

wish you all the best with your collection...don't spen too much, this is one of the expensive hobby :)

Cool, man I have a weak spot for 1/55 VF-1S (Sempai).

I am totally lovin these 1/55's. I have a 1A, 1J, and a 1S comin soon. I will be postin some pics in the collection topic at some point soon. Maybe I'll have to wait till I move though mid oct.

Hmmm.... what is it with Macross dammit, making me have second thoughts about getting a chunky munkey...

I don't need it! And it's so enticing in fighter mode, gerwalk bah, but ahhharrragghhh!!!

No, i will not be venturing into these taboo chunkies. I'll wait for the re-invented 1/60s...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I'm not impressed; prefer the yammie 1/48s to this.

But I do have a Chunky side insofar as I'm getting rid of every Transformer in my collection that isn't a chunky G1 reissue :) ...err...or a nice Masterpiece...so maybe half-chunky...

But seriously - these just aren't that exciting- not with the Yammies on the market.

VFTF1

I'm not impressed; prefer the yammie 1/48s to this.

But I do have a Chunky side insofar as I'm getting rid of every Transformer in my collection that isn't a chunky G1 reissue :) ...err...or a nice Masterpiece...so maybe half-chunky...

But seriously - these just aren't that exciting- not with the Yammies on the market.

VFTF1

Too each their own. <_<

:ph34r: MisterRyno :ph34r:

I guess its down to how old you are. I mean for me they are nostalgic in that 1984 they were all you could get unless you were able to make the IImai kits etc which back then when I was 12 I was certainly not very good at. Granted the 1/48 Yammies are with out doubt the gratest Macross toy ever made. But the Chunkys do have a kida soul to them. Plus when they fall off your display shelf they rarely break :)

Im more a model guy now than I used to be but stil love the whole engineering thing involved with the toys.

All I know is when I got my 1/55 Joons VF-1J back in '86, it put all my other transforming toys to shame. The transformation design and articulation were revolutionary for the time. The 1J remains my fave... the 1/55 1S and 1A heads are far too bulbous, even in my eyes as a kid.

"Hey mom, look! I don't have to take off any boxing glove fists and attach a nose gear to transform into jet mode!"

"Hey mom, look! I don't have to take off any boxing glove fists and attach a nose gear to transform into jet mode!"

TOOOOOO FUNNY!!!

Yeah i know, but but, Nora costs a heap, i can't be thinking of buying stuff just to have when i appreciate higher grade Valkyrie meat. And YF-21, 5 of those suckers has my name on it. Just not making enough money i guess to have everything. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

classics being the first releases generally aren't that much superior to current ones (1/48s) but it's a fact that these current valks were rooted from the former, thus it will always be appreciated especially with the oldies having some sort of sentimental value..

i just plunged into this toy line, but despite getting the chance to hold/play a 1/48 Valkyrie before i started collecting.. i still opted to get the bandai valks first..

1284787498_d46f7d669a_m.jpg

Also, with the yamato valks, like the Nora and YF-21, you will be able to them in the future, they are bound to be reissued from time to time. With the bandais? Who knows. It will certainly be easier to find a Nora and YF-21 in the coming years than it will be to find a bandai reissue. Remember, the bandais haven't been in production for a couple years now.

I may get flamed for this but... IMHO you are not a true Macross collector/toy nut unless you own at least one 1/55. There! I said it! :p

Yeah at least one just for the sake of collection, reisue or original it doesnt really matter.

I have 5 or 6 but I`ll never get any more but probably wont really bother with the Yammies eaither unless a two seater comes out or they do a Vf-11 or Vf-17

Edited by big F

Allow me to toss my hat (or Valk!) into the mix.

Three days ago I made my first Macross toy purchase: The Bandai 1/55 Hikaru 1A. It was a total impulse buy. I was walking past an anime store in Midtown Manhattan, and just dropped in to see if the establishment carried an Macross Zeo discs. As I combed the joint, thats when I saw the Bandai - immediate purchase after asking if it could transform into all three modes.

Oddly,, I didnt open the box until today, but what a treat! This Valk looks awesome in Fighter mode, pretty cool in Gerwalk, but a little "meh" in Battroid - buts thats no big deal. I love the toy, overall, a lot and its put a bug in me to get a few more :) I'm not sure which right now, but more are a -comin'!

Allow me to toss my hat (or Valk!) into the mix.

Three days ago I made my first Macross toy purchase: The Bandai 1/55 Hikaru 1A. It was a total impulse buy. I was walking past an anime store in Midtown Manhattan, and just dropped in to see if the establishment carried an Macross Zeo discs. As I combed the joint, thats when I saw the Bandai - immediate purchase after asking if it could transform into all three modes.

Oddly,, I didnt open the box until today, but what a treat! This Valk looks awesome in Fighter mode, pretty cool in Gerwalk, but a little "meh" in Battroid - buts thats no big deal. I love the toy, overall, a lot and its put a bug in me to get a few more :) I'm not sure which right now, but more are a -comin'!

O'm very happy that you chose and enjoy the 1/55. I CANNOT wait till I have all of the 1/55's and accesories for them that I need. Which will be a VERY long time from now. But patience is a virtue.

Would one of the incoming two happen to be the Super VF-1S? Get super chunkied-out with some FAST Packs! :D

I would LOVE to say yes....BUT it's not...the 2 coming in soon are the M&M's. One day I will have the $ to get all the fast packs and armor that I need.

I would LOVE to say yes....BUT it's not...the 2 coming in soon are the M&M's. One day I will have the $ to get all the fast packs and armor that I need.

Dude, get the FP Hikaru set. That was a holy grail of mine for a DECADE. Well, I mean it is, but thats how long it took me to get one. Being a 10 year old kid, watching seeing the VF-1 SUPER valkyrie on TV, never being able to find a vintage one, then stumbling upon one at a local convention 10 years later and finally being able to buy it=PRICELESS CHOCK FULL OF WIN.

Dude, get the FP Hikaru set. That was a holy grail of mine for a DECADE. Well, I mean it is, but thats how long it took me to get one. Being a 10 year old kid, watching seeing the VF-1 SUPER valkyrie on TV, never being able to find a vintage one, then stumbling upon one at a local convention 10 years later and finally being able to buy it=PRICELESS CHOCK FULL OF WIN.

With the way money goes these days...it will be a while till I find a Hik Sup. VF-1S that I can afford.

But...oneday I will for sure. :ph34r:

bAH! :p Too much good stuff coming to waste money on the old stuff!

After seeing pics of your great collection, I'm surprised by your replies in this thread. Obviously, you're a dedicated fan, so why not go back to where it all started as far as Macross toys go? With your great collection of the new stuff, I'd think you'd want to get some old-school flavor in your displays. From one dedicated fan to another, I enjoy my collection both for the latest/greatest Yamato offerings as well as for the old-school stuff that takes me back;I think you're depriving yourself of the nostalgic pleasure of having the "chunky monkeys" by not getting them, now, while they're still available.

Wow, this is turning into a long post. You can still get the "chunky monkeys" for a reasonable price (currently), so I'd suggest that you get them now rather than having regrets, later. Obviously, you've got some money to spend, so I'll humbly suggest, one dedicated fan to another, that you allocate some funds to get the old-school collectables -- you'll be glad you did. Again, looking at the pics of your collection that you've posted, I believe you may have begun the path to being a Macross connoisseur. I still like seeing posts from members who are happy to get a boxed 1/55 scale Elint Seeker, Super Ostrich, or Super/Strike Valkyrie. There's just something about having the old-school stuff -- I hope you'll think about this. ;)