Macross and Robotech Music

Deadzone

As some of you may know, I grew up watching Robotech, and I'm trying to find an affordable copy of the original Macross series so I can watch that too. I was just curious. Is the music different in the Japanese show, or did Harmony Gold take the same music and just dub it in english for the Minmay songs? I have the Robotech "Perfect Collection" which is not a perfect collection because it left some of the songs out. I heard there was a more complete collection and went trolling in ebay. What I found was a lot of Macross soundtracks for sale at around $8.00. I don't want to buy anything I haven't heard, but if this CD is pretty much the same songs with just a japanese girl singing instead, I might give it a try. The singer who did Minmay in Robotech wasn't very good so it might be a welcome change. :lol:

While I don't like all the Macross music, there is a special place in hell for those responsible for bringing Robotech's "Stagefright" to millions of TV screens.

Yes, but it made Exedol/Exedore's version seem not quite so bad.

The difference is the glazing

as in:

Reba West taking it off your teeth

Mari Iijima leaving it in place

all in all: the opening song in RT is a little better since you don't here PavaLottiwanabe-San Screaming his alto (afterwards Soprano) behind off

Máh-kúúú-ròsss,...Mááááh-kuròòòòòsss :lol::lol::lol:

The difference is the glazing

as in:

Reba West taking it off your teeth

Mari Iijima leaving it in place

all in all: the opening song in RT is a little better since you don't here PavaLottiwanabe-San Screaming his alto (afterwards Soprano) behind off

Máh-kúúú-ròsss,...Mááááh-kuròòòòòsss :lol::lol::lol:

But I LIKED the ridiculously over-done Macross intro.

I actually like Ulpio Manucci's instrumental composition... not for the animation, I prefer the the SDF MAcross soundtrack. But I like his work on RT as a seperate entity. I don't know if he worked on anything else, but I read somewhere that HG dicked him also that's why he wasn't hired for the rest of the series and the Sentinels. I'll look for that article, but that was years ago. I actually like the Mari Iijima songs especially the later ones like Love Drifts Away and Do You Remember Love? Reba West must burn!

I would encourage you to buy the Macros CDs. I listened to my Robotech CD once, maybe twice, just to hear all the music again.

My Macross CDs are in my player constantly, after years of repeated listening.

The music is totally different, and much better.

For a taste of it, if you haven't seen Macross Plus yet, give that a try. The DVDs should be able to be had for not too much and will give you a taste of Macross and where it is heading, great music, great story. There's alot more to the Macross Universe than what was turned into Robotech.

Manucci's stuff for Robotech was quite good in some places (Possibly Robotech's one and only saving grace), that is, if you don't mind a saxophone that's about as horridly out of tune as it can get sometimes.

Macross' soundtrack is definately worth the listen. While Minmay's stuff takes a special kind of aesthetic enjoyment, some of the instrumental pieces are quite good ("Fate's Arrow" comes to mind). Get the "Macross: The Complete" collection..... it has all the music from the TV series and DYRL and several tracks that they wound up never using. By and large, DYRL had better music, but the TV series had one or two tracks that were just too cool to pass up.

I really like the BGMs for Robotech, especially the starting theme song.

I tried listening to the opening song for Macross and just couldn't get around that horrible, horrible singer. All that wailing... ugh.

As for the Reba West songs? Kill me... kill me now... :p

Overall, however, I'd rate the Robotech BGMs as some of the best in any anime, or even most live action shows, too.

Overall, however, I'd rate the Robotech BGMs as some of the best in any anime, or even most live action shows, too.

I'd don't know if I'd go that far, but it was quite good when judged on it's own merits.

It just wasn't good laid on top of Macross, especially since it was used so inappropriately.

I don't think it was misused as it was overused. There are subtle parts in SDF Macross where it's just dialogue with no BGM. In RT, the music was constant and badly editted. They just faded one song into the other with no synching. Even as a kid I felt it was relentless. Again, not the composer's fault.

I actually liked how the music was used in Robotech to a degree. Yeah, it got to be a bit too much at times. They used a music cue for every single shot some times. However, I think that beats some of the japanese animation that I have seen in my day which use no music cues for hours on end. They decided to let the drama play out and take center stage. The only problem is that the drama is usually some guy trying to look cool for an hour and a half. If I wanted that, I would go read comic books. :lol:

I like all the Macross songs and background music, including the theme song and the song over the ending credits ("Runner"). The only problem I have with the background music is in Do You Remember Love, particularly in the opening battle scene in space, where the music is allowed to just sort of ramble on behind the combat action, giving a sort of "routine" feel until the brassy "Zentradi attack" theme heralds the penetration of the Nousjadeul-Gers into the Macross.

The Robotech theme song is catchy, and I think it sounds especially nice in the pumped up orchestral performance used in the BattleCry game intro. But it's far from the quality of John Williams' film compositions (and in fact the melody seems somewhat derivative of the theme to Superman, the 1978 motion picture). I also remember liking the "battle" background music for sounding desperate, chaotic and destructive, but I like the Macross battle music better, with its staccato opening bar. A lot of the other Robotech background music is okay but often overly bombastic.

As for Minmay's songs in Robotech, they're all ruined by Reba West/Rebecca Forstadt's singing, but I think a couple of them might not be bad if they were performed by a real singer. For example, if Petula Clark sang "To Be in Love" and "It's You", they might both be pretty good.

OK, I have to ask this:

I always thought it was ALL Reba West, but this isn't the first time that I've seen this Rebecca Forstadt chicks' name. Who did what?

Same person... Reba West was a fake name, all the Robotech voice "Actors" :rolleyes: used fake names because Robotech was a non-union project, and in LA if you are an espiring actor who side steps unions, you are going to be waitin tables.

CROM laughs at that girly-woman Reba West!  :D

Maybe it's just me but calling her a Girly-Woman wouldn't be much of an insult and could probably be taken as a compliment... :unsure:

CROM laughs at your oxymoron-icle nomenclature!

I guess which music someone likes the most, maybe to some extent influenced by what they were exposed to first.

For myself, I saw SDF Macross and DYRL years before I was exposed to any Robotech. I gotta say I love the Macross BGM and Mari Iijima's songs and I own a pretty extensive collection of Macross CDs, which I listen to frequently.

On the other hand, I have never liked or been able to get into the Robotech BGM and Reba West's songs and I do not own a single Robotech CD and have no intention of ever buying one. I just feel the music in Robotech does not match the story, mood or animation at all.

Graham

I saw Robotech before SDF Macross but the music to SDF Macross made more sense to me. I think Ulpio Manucci could have used his music to make great Superhero scores. The Main theme sounded a lot like the theme to Superman the movie.

No way man... Lancer's songs in RT were awesome!

Ironic how the best RT songs were sung by a "girly-man".

Anyway, I did and still do love the RT BGM... prefer it to the Macross actually, as sacriledgious as that is. My favorite has to be the "Zentradi" theme... it's got an appropriately ominous mood that just works for me, especially when you see all the green pickle ships slowly fold out from hyperspace. Most of the other background music is pretty decent, as well. There are quite a few that I've liked for a long while.

The original Macross SDF BGM just doesn't work for me in the same way. Maybe it's because I'm not used to the 80's style Japanese-trying-to-be-modern-western orchestral sorta music that's used in the series, and the intro theme took a *long* time to get used to. It's pretty corny, really. But eventually, by the end of the series, a few themes grew on you. The WA WA WA! WA WA WA! Zentradi attack theme still makes me shiver occasionally (not for the right reasons), but at least for me, SDF Macross music took awhile to adapt to. I'm stilly not crazy about it.

Now the vocals... Reba West. Ugh. Enough said. Ijima's work for SDF is in a totally separate league, whether you actually like the songs or not (I do). But that's hardly news.

-Al

Edited by Sundown