Yamato 1/48 Choice

MechaWyvern

So, I've been lurking here for a long time, and I decided my first post should be about my first Yamato purchase. I'm looking at getting the VF-1J Stealth Type Super Valkyrie or the VF-1S Variable Fighter Roy Focker with the add on super and strike parts. I really like the Stealth type, something about a black Veritech just screams cool, but I also love the classic Roy VF-1S. So, I'm asking for help. Would love to hear from people that own both. Any thoughts, opinions, snide comments, etc are welcome.

Also, what is the general consensous in regards to the VF-1 armor parts? I'm considering that as a later purchase.

Well, on the snide side, no one here likes the term "veritech" as that's a Robotech term and in Macross they're called valkyrie.

For opinions, pictures, ect. I would recommend you go to my website's section on the 1/48 toys by clicking HERE.

Trust me, either would have you forking for the second one in a number of days. In my opinion, you should get the stealth version if you want the extra fixed pose hands (the DYRL valks don't have them), but to me, Roy's looks much cooler.

Also on ebay you'll find combo sets that offer the valk, fastpacks, as well as the GBP armor. With the GBP armor you get several extra parts that really help enhance the valks final look. New DYRL fixed posed hands, and side armor covers along with a now grey backpack cover. Some might complain this makes the toys transformation nonperfect, but these are merely optional parts and in no way impede the function of the core transformation mechanism.

i recommend the stealth with strike parts ofcourse coz i think roy is still a lot of stock somewhere..

but since u getting the GBP too later on.. i suggest that u go for th roy coz it looks cooler wearing the GBP and Strike parts..

get both if u still cant make up ur mind... hahahaha

Hmmm, I was in the same boat as you one time, wasnt sure if I wanted the stealth or the Roy version. I ended up buyin the stealth with fp and some takatoys stickers (the one with the sharkmouth and eyes), I have never regretted my purchase.

Cool pics....appreciate the further comments. Consensus seems to be toward purchasing the Stealth type, which is what I'm leaning toward. Also, does anyone have pics of the Stealth in the Urban Camo Low Visibility GBP? I think the combo would look quite good, and is what I'm thinking of doing.

I always thought of Hikaru's VF-1J as the 'signature' valk from the series, since its the one shown in the bumpers. But yeah, Roy's VF-1S is pretty iconic as well and a personal favorite

yeah, you got me there, I have those two as well. Roy's VF-1S is suited up in TV super armor with a Hikaru pilot (sorry Roy) and Hikaru's VF-1J is in GBP.

I always thought of Hikaru's VF-1J as the 'signature' valk from the series, since its the one shown in the bumpers. But yeah, Roy's VF-1S is pretty iconic as well and a personal favorite

Since Roy's valk is Hikaru's valk for over half the series, I'd say it's the more iconic of the two despite the 1J being featured in bumpers. All Hikaru ever did in his 1J was get shot down anyway.

I do personally like the 1J head better than the 1S, though.

Doesn't matter which is the signature for me. I'm getting both of them... Actually, already have. I love valks that have appeared in the series. The only valks that I bought that didn't make it in the series are the VF-19A and the Low-vis1. ;)

• 2 weeks later...