Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

What is a decent price for the following:

M1 Garand

1903 Springfield

98K Mauser

312388[/snapback]

The CMP is your best bet for the first two. Last I checked, they had Garands and Springers for not-quite dirt cheap. But beware, a lot of dealers seem to have been obtaining rifles from the CMP, then giving them a quick cleanup and charging double what they would have paid.

As for the K98, you have a couple of options. If you want an all matching, unrefinished Kar98k then be prepared to pay a premium for it. If you just want a good condition shooter, then you should look into the Russian and Yugoslavian "capture" rifles. My Kar98 was rebuilt by the Yugos after the war, and it is a tack driver. The only problem with these rifles from a collectors point of view is that they have been remarked. The Yugo gets a big crest stamped onto the receiver, where the Ruskie gets fugly electropencil numbering.

Hey, on the K98 subject, what would be the best solution to getting one in 7.62 NATO? Were there any actually produced in the NATO caliber, or are the ones on the market all conversions?

312605[/snapback]

After the state's inception, Israel received reworked Kar98k's from FN and Czechoslovakia, but these would have all been in the original 7.92x57. It is believed that all of the Israeli K98's in 7.62 were conversions, done some time in the mid 60's.

What is a decent price for the following:

M1 Garand

1903 Springfield

98K Mauser

312388[/snapback]

That would depend on a lot of things....

312488[/snapback]

yah no kidding for the m1903 look at m1903.com for a good idea for what your gun might be worth. my rockisland 1903 was made at dec 1918 which is just barely after the new temper receivers that can be safely fired without blowing up but its been sporterized by my great great uncle simular to the nra sporterized ones so its not worth much.

After browsing some of the 'Merican surplus sites, I was sickend...sickened...to see that you guys have No. 1 and No. 4 Lee Enfield rifles for about $100. Some of them even Long Branch manufactured! I hate you guys!

312499[/snapback]

*Using mind control* You will move to the United States, so you can own all these wonderful things...

After browsing some of the 'Merican surplus sites, I was sickend...sickened...to see that you guys have No. 1 and No. 4 Lee Enfield rifles for about $100. Some of them even Long Branch manufactured! I hate you guys!

312499[/snapback]

*Using mind control* You will move to the United States, so you can own all these wonderful things...

312764[/snapback]

lol

Seems like everyone is getting new heaters lately.

I put my order in for a new Walther P22 and a IMI SP-21 Barak last week. I plan to turn the new P22 into a mini solid snake clone with laser and can and the SP-21 is just to have another thing at the range that makes everyone say "what is THAT?"

I also found a site that builds repro parts for the old school original CAR-15 rifle. Looks like I'll have to finish that build out sooner than expected...

Hard to tell being in the holster... just looks like a raced out 1911. Kind of strange choice of sidearm for the movie if it is in fact the movie prop. The 1911 is a good platform and all it's just sort of lower capacity than I'd expect from a deep cover cop. It's flashy but I'd have rather seen a USP tactical.

My only thinking is that he is a undercover cop first before he is a fake drug dealer so you'd think his tactical needs whould override his needs for "bling" weaponry. Anything chambered in .45ACP with a 12+ capacity is important. After all... what happens if something goes down and Tubbs is nowhere to be found and backup is five minutes away? Three 12 round mags is a sight better than three 7 rounders... plus I have seen some USP Tacticals ship in some pretty "blinged out" finishes.

PICS from the Miami Vice training seminars. Jamie Foxx/Tubbs seems to be using a relatively stock S&W 1911, but Crocket has what appears to be a tricked out SVI (?) which I assume is part of his high falootin' drug dealer cover identity.

314275[/snapback]

Are there any pics of the actors holding that tricked out race pistol?. To me, it just looks like a race pistol strapped to some dude's ass. And, it's cocked and locked. I don't care how cool you are, no instructor will let you pack a pistol like that unless you are online, and ready to go hot.

Just picked up a new Glock 21 after not having one for a couple of years.....I like what they have done to improve the little things that come with a Glock pistol....the case is much better and bigger, the weapon now comes with High Capacity mags(13 round) and the lock that comes with it is a flexible cord as opposed to the looped cord that was attached to a pad lock basically of my old Glock 21.

I was considering going with the Glock 37, but I liked the size of the Glock 21 over the Glock 37, and the local gun shop doesnt really carry any ammo in .45 GAP, while they have tons of .45 ACP...

The only thing that I like about the Glock 37 over the Glock 21 is the Slide release....it is much easier to do, but I am finding that the Glock 21 is getting easier and easier to use with more time.

On a side note, I am amazed at how easily the 13 round fit into the brand new mags, while I remember having a real difficult time getting 10 into the mags of my previous Glock 21.

I am still considering getting a Rock River AR-15 rifle with quad rail fore-grip and 6 position telescoping butt-stock that the local gun shop has for around $990....but I might wait a while to save up the cash.

Twich

Speaking as a fellow G21 owner, the post-ban 10 round magazines are a waste of your time now. Funny but true they are the same thing as those 13 round mags you have now only they were "detuned" to only take 10 rounds by means of a big plastic blocker. I still have a few 10 round mags but they mainly sleep in the bottom of my safe now. My G21 is a "new fingergrip frame" model as well, but mine is a C type with the ports in the top. They make a tad of difference on rapid fire but that is about it. I'd recommend you get a few upgrades to the gun to tighten it up and unless you enjoy the trapezoidal sights a sight swap. I've goosed my G21 into space with mods and it shoots like champ now and is 100% reliable.

Also good call on not getting the .45 GAP models... no one carries the ammo around my neck of the woods and the guns are rotting on the shelves. A sad fate of many first run caliber weapons. Anyone have a .41 magnum laying around? Or worse yet an Uzi or Jericho chambered in .41AE? You know that pain then.

As for your RRA you can "build your own" AR these days and save money in the long run. Hell, a nice RRA upper receiver with bolt and charging handle sits around $500. You can get a Mega or a Stag lower for $100, a parts kit for $60 and that telestock for $75. Right there you are money ahead. I can talk you through the assembly of the lower if you need a hand.

Cool, Thanks JsArclight.....I know that you are the authority on AR-15 rifles, as I have spoken to you before about them.

I went to Top Glock and I ordered a third 13rd Magazine along with a double mag pouch and a Kydex holster for it. Vermont has a concealed carry law, as well as people dont usually bat an eye if you walk around packing a side arm(especially around hunting season). I have to say that I really like Glock weapons....I just wish that they would sell the factory hoslters and mag pouches online(I havent been able to find them) and the fact that the weapons comes with cleaning rod and brush, case and lock...along with the 2 cases from the factory where they test fired it. I have had a Ruger(P89 I think) 9mm, a AMT Backup in .45 ACP, a Sig Sauer P226 9mm and older model Glock 21 and a Glock 26(9mm) "Baby Glock" and a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum. The weapon that I have derived the most pleasure owning and shooting has been the Glock. For handguns, I will go with nothing else....I have fired the HK USP .45, and while it was a nice weapon, it is a little too pricey for me. I have also fired a "Shorty .40" which I think was manufactured by Smith and Wesson, a Baretta .40(forget if it is the 92S or what)

Point I am trying to make is, I have used and owned quite an assortment of handguns in my time, and the Glock is by far the best, in my humble opinion. While I would love to own a HK Socom 23 pistol, I think the $2000+ dollar price tag makes it a collectors item or a real enthusiasts weapon...not something for someone like me.

Twich

The Socom is all hollywood hype just like the DEP... the things are gunboat sized and very unwieldy... you are better off buying a USP Tactical like I did. Same gun, same features, easier to handle and less than half the price.

Edit: it should also be pointed out that when dealing with handguns feel is sometimes more important than features. I mean, in all honesty the only chief concerns you should have with a defensive sidearm are "is it reliable?" and "does it feel right?". If the answer is yes then you have a winner. I know guys who can shoot a matchbook off a fencepost with a beat up Sig 228 but can't hit the side of a car with a raced out 1911... and in the same breath I know people who swear that the more money you spend on a handgun the more accurate you are... cough cough... bullsh!t... cough...

If a Glock feels good to you then bam, you're set. I myself tend to collect different calibers rather than different makes. I own a handful of H&K things but they were all bought to "fill gaps" in my collection rather than buying them for the "H&K Name". If you pay a nice piece of coin for a modern combat handgun it will perform just as well as any other one on the market. The expensive poligonal rifled, threaded barrelled, teflon finished, night sighted military handguns of the world are only affording you those options if you benefit from them. I myself bought my USP Tactical to use my friend's can with it and guess what? The thing is still loud.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I'll have to agree about how a weapon feels in your hands should be close to top of your list on selection.

I have many friends who are avid Glock fans. They're nice guns but I hate how they feel in my hands. The basic feel of the control & levers just seems awkward and "slick" to me.

As an Active Duty US Marine, I'm forced to deal with the M9 9mm. I absolutely hate the thing. The only thing I like about it is the ambidextrous control. Other than the caliber, my biggest gripe is the huge grip. I'm a 5 ft 5 in, 150 lb Filipino, and my H&K USP45 and my friend's SIG220 (the .45 cal model?) feels very comfortable in my smaller than average hands than the M9.

Yeah, I've got the same kinda hand issues, despite being 5'9". Only full-size modern autoloader I've found that fits my hands is the Sig 220/ Sig Pro series. The Hks and a few others fit, but the controls aren't right. (I hate the "lever" style mag release!) I like Glock controls, actually, but the grip is too "square" for me. Only other fullsize gun I enjoy holding is the single-stack M1911.

I like little guns, though, they've always felt better to me. I really want a nice Makarov, and a Beretta M84 and a PPK are on my list.

Oh yeah, I need to get myself a Mateba Modele 6 Unica one of these days... Actually, I want a pair, one black and one silver! :D

The Socom is all hollywood hype just like the DEP... the things are gunboat sized and very unwieldy... you are better off buying a USP Tactical like I did. Same gun, same features, easier to handle and less than half the price.

314491[/snapback]

Ah, I wouldn't say the USP is unweildy, you just have to have the right sized hand for it, and that is something I got in spades. I have a USP 45 and the pistol fits in my hand like a glove, but then again I have big beefy hands for handling those big loud handguns. And I don't have the souped up version either. The only extras I added to it were the tritium sights.

As an Active Duty US Marine, I'm forced to deal with the M9 9mm.  I absolutely hate the thing.  The only thing I like about it is the ambidextrous control.  Other than the caliber, my biggest gripe is the huge grip.  I'm a 5 ft 5 in, 150 lb Filipino, and my H&K USP45 and my friend's SIG220 (the .45 cal model?) feels very comfortable in my smaller than average hands than the M9.

314499[/snapback]

Call me out on this, but I used to own a Baretta Model 92FS (M9) and I seem to remember that the handgrip on that thing was not as big as on the USP 45. Then again, it has been ten years since I sold mine as I hated the thing also.

The M9 is very close in size to the USP grip, it's just the ergonomics of the grips are quite different. I have the USP Tactical and my wife has her M9 and they are about the same overall size. The USP deceptively looks bigger because it is basically a big "brick" whereas the M9 is more curvy.

Oh and I was calling the Mk23 Socom pistol unweildy... the thing is a yacht compared to the paired down USP Tactical. The Socom is almost as large as a DEP... some even claim it is. The problem with the Socom is that all the controls are spaced so far out that even people with large hands have to two hand operate it like a DEP.

I've had several Berettas, most of them were trade fodder :lol: (ssshhh) , but the last one I bought, was for my wife, because she didn't like my .45 Cal Sig 220. I got her the Beretta so she could have some fun too, but not hurt her hand with the bigger caliber.

I'm old school, and hated to see the day that they took away my M1911 in favor of the M9. Granted, the M9 was way more accurate than the 50 year old 1911's that my MP Company had, but I much prefer the crowd pleaser .45 cal to the ghetto plinker 9MM.

Hate to change the discussion a bit, but would anyone know where you can purchase sharpened samurai or tai chi swords online? I know of a few stores that carry swords, but none of them are sharpended.

Ironically enough, www.marstar.ca

It cost me $425 CDN, which I believe is about $1.85 US. :D (they do ship south, btw)

The exact same pistols, as sold thru EMF, have a retail price of $435 US! :o

Edited by bsu legato