Sunshine

Mr March

I know the movie you are talking about Lechuck, it was called Solar Crisis, but in that they were trying to trigger a solar flare early so that it did not fry the earth, or something like that. This sounds like a combination of that and Event Horizon.

saw the trailer yesterday. I'm super excited about this. Danny Boyle + Alex Garland + great actors = hit.

I thought 'Event Horizon' too but this won't be a horror/sci-fi I think. More spiritual & meaning/existence-of-god-etc themes.

the sun operates by gravity. its so big and heavy and massive that fusion happens inside. what exactly could stop that from happening is beyond me, and further more what could be contained on a tiny ship that is going to "restart" the process is even further beyond me.

It would be like sending an ant to go inject a brick with orange juice to make it glow.

If they have some really good ideas about what the heck could be wron gwith the sun this moive could be great.. with any luck we can just ignore that part of it and enjoy the psycological stuff.

The budget on this film is like 10 million GBP ($25 million converted to USD). I don't know about anyone else, but this movie looks bloody fantastic for a $25 million picture. Plus I'm a big Danny Boyle fan...would it be too silly to call this new film "sunspotting?" :):lol::p

Edited by Mr March

• 2 months later...

Just watched it at a theatre. I heard that you guys in the US won't be getting it until later in September?

The movie's very much like Event Horizon. poo happens, things go wrong, people die, alot of self-sacrifice going around, and an unexplained "bad guy/demon/monster/mutant" on a rampage.

The show was pretty entertaining i must admit, but what it also end up trying to be "artsy fartsy", the bane of science fiction. Throughout the show the crew members seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the sun gazing at it till they get sunburnt and whatnot. The bad guy....just as Event Horizon, is an insane human gone through some kinda mutation or whatever and never quite explained. Not like I expected it to be explained either.

Despite arty fartsy ness, its quite an entertaining watch with nice visual audio effects. My seat was vibrating every time the sun comes up. :lol:

Some pundits have called it 'Solar Core Horizon'.

The acting across the board was not bad at all, although I was pretty disappointed by the 'twist' that introduced the Bad Things Happening sequence... Still find it more satisfying than Event Horizon, although the endgame is full of physics inponderables.