K is for Komrade

drifand

Just picked up this odd little... thing from a comic shop. It seems like a cross between a Scopedog and those suits from Sakura Wars, by way of Comrade Lenin! See this photo from an online seller:

DSC02430.jpg

The finishing is very nice. Grungy in the same way that MaK/SF3D models often come across. Unfortunately, the designer is more of a visual stylist than a true mecha afficionado. Paolo Parente is a Italian illustrator who does very nice renditions of buxomy women in uniform, among other military characters. This 1/24 scale "collectible" is a Soviet KV-47 tactical armor from Parente's alternate history WWII story/gaming world called "DUST". Parente claims he's inspired by many things, including ANIME and especially JIN-ROH.

The armor itself looks pretty cool even if it's totally plastic. Measures about 5" high and includes 2 pieces of thin wire for radio antennae. The biggest crime is that the joints in the legs are VERY restrictive and you cannot achieve anything other than a static pose. Try having it stand up and the weight pushes the hip joints down within seconds. Other than that, the details are great. Opening main and front hatches to reveal detailed interior (but supplied figures cannot "sit" inside). Swiveling armor panels etc. Too bad the arm joints are also a bit too restrictive, but bearing in mind this is supposed to be from 1947, it isn't that bad at all.

Included in the box is the Armor, 3 buxomy women (1 firing her handgun, 1 clutching her assets and the another being a Nazi dominatrix with whip, no less), plus a hapless looking foot soldier; 3 small diorama stands and a full color "Source Book" on DUST containing sketches and explanations. Supposed MSRP is US$49-59, but I paid a little bit more because I didn't do my homework :-/

Summary: Great looking display piece, though questionable taste in depiction of women. According to the included book, there's also a dorky looking US armor on the way (hints of a Sherman on legs), plus much beefier looking German armors as well. For more info, you can check out the official site www.dustgame.com, or Google for "KV-47".

Edited by drifand

Looks interesting but I have some doubts about the game rules. While the background is essential, the rules are what will make or break the product.

As it is, this has very similar lines to Gear Krieg and may get confused easily.. the use of large miniatures also indicate strong RPG influences which is both good and bad -- traditional table top gaming might be a tad more difficult unless they intend to run in two scales (say, 1/24 for RPG and 28mm for tabletop gaming..).

Whoa whoa and whoa! Thanks for the info drifand.

I'm gonna take a couple of minutes to look into this site.......I am loving the fresh approach to WWII mecha. B) :D

Are these mechs all limited editions? Can I find these on E-Bay?

Whoa whoa and whoa! Thanks for the info drifand.

I'm gonna take a couple of minutes to look into this site.......I am loving the fresh approach to WWII mecha. B) :D

Are these mechs all limited editions? Can I find these on E-Bay?

I was wondering about that too. The site shows a more tricked-out set complete with a building in a diorama setting. THAT one is supposedly limited to 99 sets only(!), but... I could care less. The "normal" set shown on the site (no diorama building) is also supposed to be limited to 500 sets worldwide. If It's true, I guess I'm a lucky fella. BUT, the box I have doesn't have any serial number... so I guess there must be an "unlimited" edition being sold everywhere. Ebay has it, as do some specialty shops. I got mine in Singapore from a comics store.

Truth be told, I'm not a gamer, so the world-setting doesn't really matter much to me. I just happened to see the display set in the shop and was blown away by the bloody good detailing on the mecha. Impulse buy.

Looks like a little mini Monster too.

Seriously, the squat legs, the long rectangular body, and the slight taper to the body at the front.

Whoa, this little chippie comes with the set too.

cha1.jpg

She's got a little Wendy O Williams thing going on there ;)

Edited by Mechamaniac

Seems like Gear Krieg to me.

And those "Allied" mechs look suspiciosly like one of the light mechs in Ring of Red (which had generally far more believable "WWII" mechs than this thing).

although of course, none of them are really very believable.

And what in the hell is up with 1/2 naked women? that kind of base pandering is soo low.

Edited by Phyrox

And what in the hell is up with 1/2 naked women?

Yeah, given how much work seems to have gone into making a detailed "realistic" world, these half naked nazi dominatrixes seem really out of place.

Edit: Hey Vostok, why "Call of Duty" comes out, are you going to help me kick some German arse in Stalingrad? :ph34r:

Edited by bsu legato

Seriously, the 2-legged walker mecha has been done and redone so many times just about every "new" design owes something to all the previous incarnations. This particular KV-47 does look like it borrowed the legs from the Monster, or a more angular body from the Dorvack Nove. But you know what I think? Put some longer legs on this baby and you'd have an AT Scout Walker with arms! :-)

Anyway, to heck with the dames. They make "T.A." sound like something else all together! It's just refreshing to see a well finished collectible that isn't made of crappy PVC rubber. I'm already dreaming up mods to improve some of the shortcomings like the joints. Have to visit the hobby shop and check out the availability of some WAVE Option parts.

Over the weekend I took a couple of shots of the KV-47, plus a group shot involving olive-drab painted mecha in similar scales...

01.jpg

Front view - Made a quick mod to the front hatch by adding a strut to keep it opened.

02.jpg

Back view - Don't really know what's stored in those rear cannisters, but if it's ammo or fuel, they better hope they've got their sixes covered!

03.jpg

The Drab Company - KV-47 and Scopedog RSC in 1/24 scale; Kaiyodo Powered Suit in 1/20 scale; GunWalker in 1/35 scale; Jumbo Grade Gundam in approx 1/35 scale.

the scopedog, is that the takara one? Or the Kaiyado?

Definitely TAKARA - I don't really fancy Kaiyodo's PVC stuff :-)

To be specific, it's the Red Shoulder Custom, reissued together with the Japanese limited edition PS1 game "Perfect Soldier Box 2". "Box 1" featured a reissue of original Scopedog. The 3rd game in the series featured a brand new 1/24 scale Votoms toy, the Slashdog.

This is another 20-year old design, GBF. You want "accuracy", why not wait for the Yamato's oversized 1/12 behemoths? :-)

As far as I'm concerned, the 1/24 Scopedog already got almost everything right. The proportions - can't complain at all except for the typical 80's "puffy" style hands. Highly articulated, tri-scope rotates and swivels, main visor opens, access hatch opens to reveal detailed interior for pilot figure, major armor plates on hinges and even achieves the featured "down form" spot on. Best of all, it IS built like a tank. Definitely won't fall to pieces after some rough handling.

This is another 20-year old design, GBF. You want "accuracy", why not wait for the Yamato's oversized 1/12 behemoths? :-)

As far as I'm concerned, the 1/24 Scopedog already got almost everything right. The proportions - can't complain at all except for the typical 80's "puffy" style hands. Highly articulated, tri-scope rotates and swivels, main visor opens, access hatch opens to reveal detailed interior for pilot figure, major armor plates on hinges and even achieves the featured "down form" spot on. Best of all, it IS built like a tank. Definitely won't fall to pieces after some rough handling.

Damn, I really wish I took the chance to get one when I did for relativly cheap. If the hands are the only issue then that doesn't bother me. Thats why I was so supprised when I saw it in the pic, it looked really nice in terms of accuracy for a 80's toy.

Kinda hard to explain - the arms are double hinged so that they can extend out to clear the shoulder armor. You can lift the shoulder armor to allow the arms to point in more directions. Not fantastic but definitely way better than the legs. Articulation is NOT this model's finer asset.

Taste aside, the painting and detailing on the mini figures are really top notch, as befitting their intent to be wargaming accessories. I'm quite sure more mecha will be on the way, but I've no urge to collect every single one of them. The German/Axis walkers are the ones to look out for, if you're hoping for more polished designs.