1/2000 Macross and 1/32 scale YF 19 interest?

mslz22

• 4 weeks later...
SDF-1 TV VERSION PLEASE!! Removeable carrier arms would rock!

Too many DRYL versions out there already, give the TV style (better looking too imo) some luvin!

I AGREE!!! SDF-1 TV version please!!!

Excellent choice!

Mslz22, I take it you have seen cobys project over at the rpf? Quite a sweet job his doing over there. AND WOW, your galatica... omg.. that is awesome, tell me thats a scratch build. If the macross comes out anything like that..... we are in for something special!!

Any thoughts on how you will do it? Will internal lighting be possible? Personally I would like the see the main part of the ship built first, with the "arms" coming out second. A big plus would be the ablity to have the two ships detachable for display purposes (ie, marcoss island display pre-liftoff)

Edited by Mechinyun

Excellent choice!

Mslz22, I take it you have seen cobys project over at the rpf? Quite a sweet job his doing over there. AND WOW, your galatica... omg.. that is awesome, tell me thats a scratch build. If the macross comes out anything like that..... we are in for something special!!

Any thoughts on how you will do it? Will internal lighting be possible? Personally I would like the see the main part of the ship built first, with the "arms" coming out second. A big plus would be the ablity to have the two ships detachable for display purposes (ie, marcoss island display pre-liftoff)

Yep the Galactica is my latest scratchbuild project. At the very least i think that the SDF 1 could be built with the option to remove the arms. As for the lighting i will take some time to make a plan on how i am going to build and cast it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

mike

I think after peoples reaction i am leaning to the TV SDF-1....for a practice project i just built a 38inch Galactica for myself :) Thanks for the link cobywan....

mike

Uhhhm.......WOW!!!

If what ever you decide on has a much detail as the Galactica, we are in for a treat...

Edited by orguss01

Can't wait to see you get started on this. Will there be a WIP thread? Will this be transformable or static? If static, which or the three modes?

*crosses fingers for crusier mode* I like both modes, but I feel the SDF WAS meant to be a cruiser. She looks the best this way IMHO and never gets enough love in toys or models while in this mode.

Since its going to be a model, my quess is no full transformation (but I could be wrong?) If anything I would like to see the front cannons be able to configure themselves to firing mode (a la booby trap) while in cruiser mode. Would seems not to hard with just the mandibles twisting to become wider for the blast to charge in between.

Out of any projects here or the rpf, this one has my interest the most. A 3 foot plus long sdf-1 super detailed would be a dream come true. I am a sucker for massive capital ships.

I will likely be making one of each, with the cruiser first, if there is no demand for it i will likely not make an attack mode, but i hope that there is. I have never found transformable models to be pratical, and at approx 28 inches long there could be real stability issues with a transformable one, nevermind the paint scratching. If there is a second model (attack) i will likely offer a bit of a discount to those who want both. There will be a WIP thread, hopefully started in the next month...

Edited by mslz22

OK, so here are the calculations that i have made, please correct me if i am wrong.. in 1/2000 scale the TV SDF1 is just about 24 inches long, in 1/1500 scale it would be just about 32 inches long, 60.5 cm and 80.67 cm respectfully. Does anyone need an SDF1 longer than 24 inches long, is 1/1500 more desireable?

thanks

mike

MAN!! GO FOR BIG!!! 1/1500 or larger please!!

Bigger ships always have a better WOW factor, can add in more detail (easier to light) and look less like a toy. Ever seen a studio scale model in person? No comparison...

Just look at whats been released lately, MR enterprise, MR Falcon, polar lights 1/350 entperise, the new yamato model kit, all of them are HUGE and set themselves apart from anything else in most peoples collection.

These are the "top shelf" type models/display pieces. When you see them, you dont think thats a cool model, your like THATS THE FRACKING ENTERPRISE, THE FALCON ETC! Its all due to the size and detailing available that comes with the size.

Just think a bigger ship could have the ablity to build in a detailed bridge section (add on kit idea! :) )! Hollow out hanger bays with tiny valks.. possiblities that just arent possible in small scale.

Want a smaller kit? plenty of them out there already... What are the chances you will see someone else offer a studio scale type macross vs a smaller kit. Id bet we see tons of smaller kits before another chance at a massively detailed kit. Dont waste the chance!

:)

Edited by Mechinyun

MAN!! GO FOR BIG!!! 1/1500 or larger please!!

Bigger ships always have a better WOW factor, can add in more detail (easier to light) and look less like a toy. Ever seen a studio scale model in person? No comparison...

Just look at whats been released lately, MR enterprise, MR Falcon, polar lights 1/350 entperise, the new yamato model kit, all of them are HUGE and set themselves apart from anything else in most peoples collection.

These are the "top shelf" type models/display pieces. When you see them, you dont think thats a cool model, your like THATS THE FRACKING ENTERPRISE, THE FALCON ETC! Its all due to the size and detailing available that comes with the size.

Just think a bigger ship could have the ablity to build in a detailed bridge section (add on kit idea! :) )! Hollow out hanger bays with tiny valks.. possiblities that just arent possible in small scale.

Want a smaller kit? plenty of them out there already... What are the chances you will see someone else offer a studio scale type macross vs a smaller kit. Id bet we see tons of smaller kits before another chance at a massively detailed kit. Dont waste the chance!

:)

I do agree with most of the above, i am a big fan of big models, hopefully i will have a falcon soon :) My concern is making a model too big that pushes the price out of reach for modelers. At 24 inches long a 1/2000 is still twice as big as the largest yellow sub model of the macross made. I am not starting for a bit so i will listen to what people want for a couple of weeks.

thanks

mike

I have all the Macross artbooks so just PM or email me for info. Also there are some quality bootlegs of Macross Perfect Memory that wouldn't be a sin to tear up for scanning.

Just an FYI, 1/2500th scale is another VERY popular scale. ;) It would make the SDF-1 only 19" though. :(

mslz22, I think you should build it at whatever scale you want since its your project. Since this thread has been hanging around for a while already and the response has not been super huge... surprisingly considering whats being offered. Even from that its a different story when payment comes due. I know I am in if its 24 plus in size.

From a business stand point at whatever scale you make it, say you have 10 people who really are going to buy it. Would you rather sell those 10 at a lower price for a small scale or a higher price for bigger scale. Taking this project around to some of the other forums, such as SSM, RPF modeling forum you might get a quite a few more bites and knowing what projects have gotten the most excitement.. they are definately the bigger scale ones.

Mike I will buy one SDF from you and 2 yf-19's. I am also looking at getting one more monster from you. Your work is awesome and I thank you for taking the time out and bringing this to us.

The monster is awesome. I will buy from you and capt anytime before I buy any other kits. I am very sure that a lot of people here agree with me. So whatever you do I am in for a few kits.

I will buy this kit no matter what scale but having said that I think 1/2500 would be just right.

Not too big that warping would occur, a little cheaper, a little easier to display and in scale with so many other models out there.

Like Cobywan says, its a popular scale.

psst, hey coby, what is your big G's scale?