More Star Wars stuff

port

Picked up some Fighters. I'm trying to get some Y wings but get out bid all the time on E bay.

The pic's angle makes it seem as if the rebel fighters are about to be shot at by the TIE fighters. All while flying over planet Spongebob? :huh:

Edited by The Shade

Hey Port, what do you think of the TIE fighters that you bought? I have been debating whether to purchase them or not. They are more accurate than the vintage mold(which had tiny wings in comparison), but me I am not a huge regular TIE fan, I like the advanced, interceptor, and bomber types. There is a reissue of the vintage mold coming ffro $19.99, so I was wondering if you felt the more accurate scaled one that you bought would be worth the extra dough compared to the old.

I recently got the red 5 dagobah x wing and it is AWESOME. Truly the definitive X wing for Luke as far as toys go. I had a blast placing my VOTC X wing Luke and his weapons into the cockpit(the folding seat for a storage area is sweeet). Not to mention the bigger size and scale accuracy makes hthe squashed looking vintage one look like trash.

Hey Port, what do you think of the TIE fighters that you bought? I have been debating whether to purchase them or not. They are more accurate than the vintage mold(which had tiny wings in comparison), but me I am not a huge regular TIE fan, I like the advanced, interceptor, and bomber types. There is a reissue of the vintage mold coming ffro $19.99, so I was wondering if you felt the more accurate scaled one that you bought would be worth the extra dough compared to the old.

I recently got the red 5 dagobah x wing and it is AWESOME. Truly the definitive X wing for Luke as far as toys go. I had a blast placing my VOTC X wing Luke and his weapons into the cockpit(the folding seat for a storage area is sweeet). Not to mention the bigger size and scale accuracy makes hthe squashed looking vintage one look like trash.

The PowerFX mold of the Xwing is truly the deffinative version to date. However, did they by chance fix the wings and use a different plastic? My old Power FX has a "rubbery" bendy type plastic that doesnt hold the laser pylons' weight very well and end up sagging down. I really hope they fixed this.

The PowerFX mold of the Xwing is truly the deffinative version to date. However, did they by chance fix the wings and use a different plastic? My old Power FX has a "rubbery" bendy type plastic that doesnt hold the laser pylons' weight very well and end up sagging down. I really hope they fixed this.

Actually the newer X wing is a retool of the Power FX mold. It features a folding seat that reveals a cargo area, and figures can be placed in or removed from the cockpit(the power FX version had a permanently mounted Luke figure inside).

I have the dagobah red 5 version(the one out now) and the wings currently have yet to sag. The wings are definitely ABS though the lasers are hard PVC. The current one is defintiely the definitive version, it even comes with swamp moss to decorate over top to recreate the Dagobah scene!

Nice. Like the new era TIEs. I had stopped collecting by the time those came out. Nice vintage Falcon too? The newer one is grey and has weathering, right?

H

Yep! Came out last year and the year before. The one from last year as a TRU exclusive, and both featured retooled cockpits so Chewie and Han could fit better in the cockpit.

Yeah, the recent series of X-Wing releases don't have all the lights, electronic sounds, and added features of the old FX version. But they do keep its proportions and larger wings.

I never owned the FX version (it was before I got back into collecting), but I'm quite happy with my 2002 Luke's X-Wing version.

And I completely agree with Shin: posing the VTSC X-Wing Luke with his X-Wing ride is just a blast! I got my Luke doing that classic pose: hanging off the side of the X-Wing, about to climb into the cockpit, helmet in hand, gazing up into the stars.

Never fails to put that geeked-out, fanboy grin on my face. ^_^

I have 2 of the larger wing TIE fighters, though I got the original Target blue release. They're pretty cool. They're just massive in person. One of these days I mean to hang up them up from the ceiling with fishing wire, each on a wing of the VOTC Darth Vader.

I have 2 of the Red Leader TRU X-wing (same as this one just with 1 hash instead of Luke's 5). I intend to get the Dagobah one for all the goodies though. Their wings kinda stink in closed mode. The hinge joint area isn't strong enough to keep the bottom wing from sagging under the weight of the lasers. I've been meaning to mod it but never get around to it. S-foils open though, they're very cool. I kinda wish they had the spiral blue paint job around the laser like the FX version had.

Do the later versions of the FX X-wing mold still come with the collapsable handle on the bottom? Do they still feature that spring loaded proton torpedo? The FX X-wing is one of my favorite pieces of all time-I've got 7 of those things, lol...

Unfortunately, these later releases have none of those features. :(

Other than the moveable S-Foils and the landing gears, these later X-Wing releases have been pretty bare bones when it comes to extra features on the X-Wing itself. (Though they sometimes add extras like another R2 figure, swamp moss, storage containers, a Red Leader figure, etc.)

The main differences though are:

1. These later releases tend to look more weathered and have more scorch-marks.

2. Stickers already applied on these later releases.

3. And as Shin noted earlier, no permanently stuck Luke in the cockpit.

Damn, 7 of 'em?! :huh::blink::wacko:

Other than the moveable S-Foils and the landing gears, these later X-Wing releases have been pretty bare bones when it comes to extra features on the X-Wing itself. (Though they sometimes add extras like another R2 figure, swamp moss, storage containers, a Red Leader figure, etc.)

Actually everything is painted on with the newest release(Dagobah X wing Red 5). Not sure if Red Leader and the 2002 version were. The new dagobah version also includes swamp moss and some dragon creature. And a Luke w/light saber. The cool thing is, his left hand is molded open and I realized he is supposed to mimic Luke when he lifted the swamp covered X wing out of the swamp! That is cool. The reason I like the new model compared to the 2002 is simply because the 2002 version has the black engine intakes, the weathering on mine is not as severe. Both great models though, and I think the 2002 one had the R2 included. I bought an electronic R2 with lights and sounds but he was a loose fit so I stuffed paper cushions in so he stays in the cockpit. Either way this mold is truly the definitive and any star wars fan NEEDS it.

Yeah, the 2002 version came with R2. But the silver dome on that R2 is too shiny for my tastes.

I also prefer the more muted silver dome on the electronic R2's.

Plus, it's more accurate to the line-art! :D:p

So, the newer ones come with swamp moss...

Anyway, I wound up with 7 of these because I purchased one during the initial release. Then Kay-Bee toys had a mega-discount promotion that included the FX's at like, $25 each so I picked up 4 more and kept them in the box. A buddy of mine running a toy-collector place got two loose ones and so I picked those up as well.

They should have at least kept the launching proton torpedo, that's an integral part of potential X-wing play after all. Which reminds me, anybody have spare torpedoes I could buy?

Edited by myk

Word on Rebelscum is that the Y-Wing will be rereleased for the 30th Anniversary Collection, so you might want to hold off until then. I'd guess that it'll be hitting stores by February. I sincerely hope that it'll come with the ROTJ-style pilot. As soon as I know concrete info, I'll try to remember to post it here for ya.

Well, they've just reissued the Snowspeeder so I wouldn't be surprised if the Y Wing got another run. I'm sure that just like the Snowspeeder and previous Y Wing releases though, it'll be a Target or TRU exclusive and it'll be hard to find; I really hate that. Also, I wonder what paint scheme they'll use this time...

In my experience, the TRU exclusives are easier to find than the Target exclusives. The last times the A wing and Slave 1 were released@target, I found it very hard to find them after I saw them for the first time. I think within 2-3 months most target exclusives are gone from shelves, whereas TRU exclusives usually last 4-5 months(they still have the clone wars gunships in VA from summer).

I want them to reissue the B wing and A wing. If they redesigned them it would be cool, but I could settle for the existing releases. I want them to reissue the TIE bomber and TIE interceptor. Those are the most interesting and diverse of the TIE series.

Does anyone have the snowspeeder and ATAT? Is the ATAT worth the $90 that TRU is charging for the new one? Just wondering. This year seems to be THEE year for adding original trilogy vehicles to your collection. I am debating buying the target snowspeeder, and if I get that, I need the ATAT. The ATAT looks awesome but I can't help but think its just a room with legs. Perhaps one of you can change my mind.

Axelay do you have a link for the rumored reissues? Heres to hoping they reissue the Millenium Falcon again next year! I forgot to pick one up last year.

I'd say if you don't already have the 'AT then it's worth taking the plunge. Although the 'AT is clearly out of scale to other vehicles and itself, it's still a large, well detailed vehicle that most fans would be happy with. I'm hoping that they keep the electronic sounds and firing missiles. Did the original 'AT walk?

I lucked out on my AT's, as I waited for them to be marked from $90 to about $30 and then picked up about 6 of them back in '99 or so...

Is this the Endor AT-AT I've been hearing about? The story on rebelscum.com is that it's gonna come with the AT-AT driver and a Biker Scout with a flip-up visor showing his face.

I've also heard rumors about them re-releasing the large-scale Imperial Shuttle.

Don't forget Shin: if you get the Snowspeeder and the AT-AT, you'll probably need an extra VTSC X-Wing Luke. It might not be exactly movie-accurate, but I could see you having a ball hanging Luke from the underbelly of the AT-AT, weilding a lightsaber in one hand and arming a thermal detonator in the other one.

I was going to pick up the TRU AT-AT until I saw the pictures of it.

They kind of went overboard with the mud and dirt so it looks like it stepped in a whole tribe's worth of Ewok Dung.

[attachmentid=37714]

Yes, the Biker scout has a flip up visor more pics

From what I've read, the shuttle will be a Target exclusive for $59.99 (DPCI: 087-06-0483)

post-515-1162627205_thumb.jpg

Edited by chowyunskinny

Lol, that does look pretty bad, like a custom done by someone who's never held a paintbrush before. I think they should've left the 'AT colored like the ones in this photograph:

IPB Image

I don't mind the paint apps since its an endor version. However $90 is still a lot to plunnk down(had I been smart enough years ago back in 98, I would have bought the clearanced ATAT for $20). I go to this local comic shop and they sell the vintage ATAT's in box(these are the early 80s versions) for over $100 so that makes the new one still seem kind of a bargain but nonetheless, I still can't see myself buying it right away. Anyone think they will clearance the hell out of it?

I am eyeing the clone gunship and the bigass wing TIE fighter.

The tin packs look great too for the definitive versions of important characters such as Vader and such. Some of the Evolutions and VOTC figures are mixed into the tin packs.

I can't imagine stores overstocking these things to the point where they have to clearance them out-gone are the days of the $35 Naboo Royal Starship. If stores did have to make such a move, I'm sure people wouldn't wait to snatch these things up almost instantly...