Jonathan Mostow is Writing and Directing "The Sub-Mariner"

Ladic

submar.jpg

Mostow Helms "Sub-Mariner" Film

Posted: Thursday September 14th 2006 12:56am

Source: Assorted Sources

Author: Garth Franklin

Jonathan Mostow ("Terminator 3", "U-571", "Breakdown") is set to rewrite and direct "Sub-Mariner", an adaptation of one of Marvel Comics' oldest superheroes for Universal Pictures reports the trades.

The comics, created in 1939, centers on a young man who discovers he's actually a descendant from the royal ruling family of the long-lost kingdom of Atlantis.

He turns out to be the key man in a brewing war between the underwater world and our own - frequently finding himself helping the human race as much as he fights it when humans pollute the waters.

Mostow has cleared his schedule to make "Sub-Mariner" his next film which means we'll likely see a 2008 release date.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060914h.php

I just don't see how the Sub Mariner is a character an entire movie can revolve around. To me he was always the Marvel answer to Aquaman. Both are equally as lame IMO. Spending millions of dollars to launch a movie around either one just seems like a waste of money.

What a bore this will be.

This is of course speaking from my limited knowledge of Sub-mariner from his brief appearances I think in the old (pre-fox) Spiderman cartoons.

Hmmm...

Spock wearing only a speedo swimming in the sea fighting crimes. Where's my ticket?

To me he was always the Marvel answer to Aquaman.

No no no... Namor was prior Aquaman.... Aquaman IS the copy! Submariner is the Original ^_^

Sub-Mariner was created on 1939. First appearance: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (April 1939).

Aquaman was created on 1941. First appearance: More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941).

By the way, Sub-Mariner was the first anti-hero, and also the first mutant in the Marvel Universe. ;)B))

No no no... Namor was prior Aquaman.... Aquaman IS the copy! Submariner is the Original ^_^

Sub-Mariner was created on 1939. First appearance: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (April 1939).

Aquaman was created on 1941. First appearance: More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941).

By the way, Sub-Mariner was the first anti-hero, and also the first mutant in the Marvel Universe. ;)B))

I love Subby; he can be a villain & hero all at the same time. One issue he's saving humanity from some threat and in the next he's leading a army to conquer mankind. IMPERIOUS REX forever!

I love Subby; he can be a villain & hero all at the same time. One issue he's saving humanity from some threat and in the next he's leading a army to conquer mankind. IMPERIOUS REX forever!

You are right! Also, Vegeta is suspiciously very, very seemed to Namor... mmmhmmm <_<