The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Not a big deal but kinda annoying too.

PS3 Bundled With Composite

October 11, 2006 - HDMI port, Blu-Ray drive, Cell processor -- the PS3 will ship with everything needed for high definition playback. Everything except for high definition cables, that is.

The latest issue of Famitsu contains a first report on the cables that will be included with the Japanese version of the PS3. Purchasers of either the 60 Gig or 20 Gig models will get a power cord, USB cable, ethernet cable and standard composite AV cable.

That's right! No component, HDMI or D cables are included in the box! While Sony hasn't announced the wiring that will be bundled with the US version of the system, in Japan at least, those who want high definition cables will have to make a separate purchase.

On the plus side, the PS3's AV Multi Out interface accepts the same cables that you used with your PS2, so if you already have S-Video, D or Component cables, you should be able to reuse them.

My Samsung DVD player didn't come with an HDMI cable either. Thank goodness for monoprice.com

Not a big deal but kinda annoying too.

PS3 Bundled With Composite

My Samsung DVD player didn't come with an HDMI cable either. Thank goodness for monoprice.com

Yeah, if it follows in the US I'll say it's a huge mistake however I still doubt that it happens here. Component should be in the US box.

Monoprice HDMI cables rule. I have like 8 of them so far.

Most people only have composite inputs, although it would be nice if they provided you with all the cables you may need.

if you're playing a $600 game console on a TV thats only got composite inputs you need to re-arrange a few priorities... :blink:

You're not serious are you?

Lol. No, as a matter of fact, I'm going to ask JBO about using S-VHS with my NES; everything else I have is on component with digital audio. Actually that only applies to my newer consoles. Older ones such as my Turbo-Duo, Sega-CD-32X machine and whatnot are still on composite.

I do long for the days of RF, though. Life was just, so much simpler back then... ^_^

I liked it too. You could daisy chain all your consoles and you did not need a switch box or keep plugging and unplupging stuff.

Course, new HDTV's, if not AVR's have multiple inputs. My SXRD has 2 x HDMI, 2 X Component (one of which used by the AVR) and my AVR has 3 more component. I probably have a dozen composite and S-Video between the V and AVR, but I'll roll over dead before I ever use one of em. :ph34r:

SXRD's have 2 component and 2 HDMI? I was starting to think no TV had 2 of both. (They're all either 2 comp and 1 HDMI, or 2 HDMI and 1 comp) Still, SXRD is way out of my price range. (my HDTV will be a 26in LCD, maybe 30in---if there's still a 27in out there by the time I buy, I'll want that) If 26-30in plasmas existed, that's what I'd really like.

SXRD's have 2 component and 2 HDMI? I was starting to think no TV had 2 of both. (They're all either 2 comp and 1 HDMI, or 2 HDMI and 1 comp) Still, SXRD is way out of my price range. (my HDTV will be a 26in LCD, maybe 30in---if there's still a 27in out there by the time I buy, I'll want that) If 26-30in plasmas existed, that's what I'd really like.

My XBR2 has 3 HDMIs, 3 components, 2 HD components, a variety of S-video connections, a PC input, and two antenna jacks :)

The part that I don't understand is why one of the HDMI ports has two audio inputs as well.

My XBR2 has 3 HDMIs, 3 components, 2 HD components, a variety of S-video connections, a PC input, and two antenna jacks :)

The part that I don't understand is why one of the HDMI ports has two audio inputs as well.

HDMI carries the audio signal too... its doesn't need a seperate port for it.

but yeah, thats almost the same amount of inputs my Pioneer has... except its got only two HDMI inputs. and its got two fire wire inputs which I have no clue why...

HDMI carries the audio signal too... its doesn't need a seperate port for it.

but yeah, thats almost the same amount of inputs my Pioneer has... except its got only two HDMI inputs. and its got two fire wire inputs which I have no clue why...

The reason for the seperate audio ports is that some people use DVI toHDMI adapters...and there goes your audio hence having a seperate audio port will come in handy.

Used mainly in computer displays...never should have entered consumer TV use but oh well, some of them had them for about a year and some cable boxes had DVI outputs before switching to HDMI.

IPB Image

Edited by Gaijin

hey looks just like the Fight Night game I played and beat a year and a half ago on the 360! sux you guys have to wait so long to play this stuff (Fight Night, Oblivion, etc.) because you're so stuck on the whole PS3 thing.. :rolleyes:

The reason for the seperate audio ports is that some people use DVI toHDMI adapters...and there goes your audio hence having a seperate audio port will come in handy.

yeah thats what I'm currently doing on my Satellite HDTV receiver.. the stupid satellite box has DVI so I've got a DVI to HDMI cable that goes to my TV then theres an optical audio out port on the satellite box that I output to my optical port on my Pioneer A/V receiver. I don't need a seperate HDMI audio jack on my TV because I've always used a seperate receiver with surround sound speakers on the last two TVs i've had but I could see how some people might need it.

hey looks just like the Fight Night game I played and beat a year and a half ago on the 360! sux you guys have to wait so long to play this stuff (Fight Night, Oblivion, etc.) because you're so stuck on the whole PS3 thing.. :rolleyes:

yeah thats what I'm currently doing on my Satellite HDTV receiver.. the stupid satellite box has DVI so I've got a DVI to HDMI cable that goes to my TV then theres an optical audio out port on the satellite box that I output to my optical port on my Pioneer A/V receiver. I don't need a seperate HDMI audio jack on my TV because I've always used a seperate receiver with surround sound speakers on the last two TVs i've had but I could see how some people might need it.

Fight Night was released Feb this year. Nice try. And some of us have all systems so....dunno where you're going with this. :)

Edited by Gaijin

I coulda swore it was a launch title and I played it at my buddies house around the same time he got his launch 360 but I guess you're probably right.

either way its funny that the PS3 guys are getting excited about something some of us have played and beaten back in Feb.. :p

yeah, its a great game, don't get me wrong... but its sooo Feb. 2006 lol :D

I coulda swore it was a launch title and I played it at my buddies house around the same time he got his launch 360 but I guess you're probably right.

either way its funny that the PS3 guys are getting excited about something some of us have played and beaten back in Feb.. :p

yeah, its a great game, don't get me wrong... but its sooo Feb. 2006 lol :D

360 launched Nov last year...not even a year old...year and a half comment was a bit much...though it feels like the 360 has been around much longer.

Edited by Gaijin

360 launched Nov last year...not even a year old...year and a half comment was a bit much...though it feels like the 360 has been around much longer.

yeah you're right again.. feels like its been out for ahwile.. like a year and a half. :D

guess I need to do a little more research and go to gamefaqs and bone up on release dates and stuff... guess its just been a long year for me.. :wacko:

PS3's start up sound:

Startup intro

Some new pics from Japan site:

PS3 pics galore

This thing has also has amazing audio options. Info courtesy AVS forum post by K. Lee.

Dolby Digital 5.1 ch

DTS 5.1 ch

AAC

Linear PCM 2 ch 44.1 Khz

Linear PCM 2 ch 88.2 Khz(upscaled redbook audio)

Linear PCM 2 ch 48 Khz

Linear PCM 2 ch 96 Khz

Linear PCM 2 ch 192 Khz( max DVD-Audio 2 channel quality)

Linear PCM 5.1 ch 44.1 Khz

Linear PCM 5.1 ch 88.2 Khz

Linear PCM 5.1 ch 48 Khz

Linear PCM 5.1 ch 192 Khz

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 44.1 Khz

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 88.2 Khz

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 48 Khz

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 96 Khz

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 192 Khz :blink: Damn.

Edited by Gaijin

Resistence is futile!

I didn't give in early when the 360 came out, but I ended up getting a 360 in Feb. 07 when the 2nd run was released.

I got the PS1 on launch day, and since I stood in line for four hours to get the PS2 on launch day, I will get the PS3 on launch day just to be consistent. No line for PS3 since I was first at Gamestop when they started taking preorders.

It just sounds so...busy! What ever happened to just popping in a disc, playing a game, and turning it off. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't need internet in my video games! I do however need import playability!