Deus Ex

I think Deus Ex was actually pretty highly regarded when it came out.

Took home a few "game of the year" awards, and did well enough that they made a sequel.

Deus Ex 2 bombed, though. As I understand things, they dumbed it down in an attempt to make it more mainstream and wound up driving people off.

I have it, but I've never gotten very far in it. It was certainly an interesting game, though.

Love DX. didn't mind the second, but I couldn't really get into it much. If you love Deus definitely go grab System Shock 2 from a bargain bin. I just played my copy again recently - you can get a hi-res patch and a better textures patch that fans made a couple of years ago which work really well.

I still remember the first time I heard it, literally. My roomie back in college got new Klipsch speakers and used the opening theme from Deus Ex to demo them. Since then I've played it to death. All blades playthrough, none-casualty playthrough, etc.. right now I'm waiting for the HDTP mod to finish (not looking good for them though, might die out...).

The second one was just a steaming pile... Ion Storm made so many concessions to put it onto a console that lots of tweaking were needed in the ini files just to get it playable on PC. The unified ammo idea was also dumb... storyline itself might have been nice, but having to wait for an area to load every five steps was just too much.

Edited by Akilae

I bought this game months ago and still havent gotten more than few miutes into it. lack of time and too many other thigns going on. Oh well someday when i have time i'll get to it along with every other project i've thought about doing.

I have heard about the first Deus Ex's reputation too, never played. Yet. I got really interested in it now... Hmm... IIRC one game that sounded interesting was Fallout. Gotta check about that too, I guess.

427494[/snapback]

lol.. weird! I just played both fallout games again recently too. I must have a lot of free time. They are GREAT - hard to find though, so maybe it's ok to download them via file sharing. Also play Planescape: Torment if you can find it. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick was great too.

^

All of those title plus the baldur's gate rpgs.. heheh. We should just call it the retro gamer pc thread. :D

427851[/snapback]

Yes!

Get our TIE Fighter on, and some PC Battlezone(Starcraft+MechWarrior = fun?), maybe even some Tyrian or something.

Memories AHH! Memories. What a great game, sure this game has shown it's age, but still, the ability to go around most problems with many different methods was just pure awesome. What happened with the sequel? I heard it wasn't so hot.

Imagine Deus Ex 3 for PS3/Xbox 360. WIN!

Edited by Spatula

What happened with the sequel?  I heard it wasn't so hot.

Imagine Deus Ex 3 for PS3/Xbox 360.  WIN!

427911[/snapback]

The sequel was dumbed down for mass-market console play. So Deus Ex3 would be far better served by staying away from the PS3 and 360.

Eeuuuuhhh.. okay, PC it is.  That's what made the original so good, with the keyboard you could basically make JC do more than your like 12 buttoned controller, or however many bloody buttons those things possess.

427924[/snapback]

12 is about right. 10-16, depending on how you count it.

I was using a MS Strategic Commander. Deus Ex was a test game for it.

The SC is a bit loose, but a hell of a lot more fun than keyboard mashing and far better suited to ANY commercial PC game than a gamepad.

^

All of those title plus the baldur's gate rpgs.. heheh. We should just call it the retro gamer pc thread. :D

427851[/snapback]

Yes!

Get our TIE Fighter on, and some PC Battlezone(Starcraft+MechWarrior = fun?), maybe even some Tyrian or something.

427884[/snapback]

There's a mod out there that lets you play the TIE Fighter campaign using the X-Wing Alliance engine called TFTC. So far only two limitations:

1) Original campaign only.

2) Even if they ever expanded the mod to work on the two expansions, the SLAM drive on the missile boat won't work.

Edited by Akilae

underrated would be system shock 1/2. both all 4 are good games.

427465[/snapback]

I bought System Shock 2 long ago. That game was truly immersive.

"What was that?"

or

"I really hope my 7 remaining rounds is enough to deal with whatever's around that corner..."

As for the old TIE Fighter game and its expansions... still is, IMO, the best Star Wars game ever.

Edited by Warmaker

One of the things TIE Fighter did right was actually making you feel righteous blowing those Rebel scum out of space, something no other Star Wars game has come close to doing. The Empire was never evil! It was merely full of incompetent fools that sullied the Emperor's good name! Played Empire at War recently and I couldn't bring myself to play the Imperial campaign for long... there was an obvious bias against the Empire...

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno about that. My friends and I had more fun playing the first Descent game then we ever did TIE Fighter. Of course, we were just out of elementary school at the time...

I was at about the same age level, and I didn't really care for Descent. Probably because I didn't have a good multi-axis stick, and tended to get lost, but still...

Wish I could find some of my old shareware disks. There was a demo I had that kicked ass, but I can't remember the name or enough about the game to describe it.

One of the things TIE Fighter did right was actually making you feel righteous blowing those Rebel scum out of space, something no other Star Wars game has come close to doing.

Darn right!

I'd also just gotten a 5200, and played the ever-living crap out of Star Wars: The Arcade Game at about the same time(I was an avid retrogamer even then).

After blowing a good 30 Death Stars up in a row, you start really rooting for the empire. :p

Man, it's so funny to read about Deus Ex on my fav site. I was the assistant lead artist on it. I like Macross way better though. You can tell I tried to add a bit of Ghost in the Shell with that Spider mech and some of the weapons. I guess I tried to get the guys to make it an anime game as much as possible. My friend Peter was one of the lead artists on Freespace and got them to make the missles a la Macross. Ha ha. Macross fans are everywhere!!!!!!!!!

:p

Man, it's so funny to read about Deus Ex on my fav site. I was the assistant lead artist on it. I like Macross way better though. You can tell I tried to add a bit of Ghost in the Shell with that Spider mech and some of the weapons. I guess I tried to get the guys to make it an anime game as much as possible. My friend Peter was one of the lead artists on Freespace and got them to make the missles a la Macross. Ha ha. Macross fans are everywhere!!!!!!!!!

You sir are a god.

I am suddenly compelled to go find a copy of Freespace...

:)

nghia,

If you don't mind me asking and if you know, will there be a third DX game anytime soon or ever?

Thanks in advance

Well the team has moved on in a lot of ways and Ion Storm is no more but Warren Spector is moving on to do more of the same in different genres. Harvey Smith was in charge of the second one and took it into more of an arcady feel which I don't agree with and he eventually moved on to Midway Austin. Warren however is working with some great guys and will be doing more good stuff soon.

If you guys like games like DX then try out Prey, Oblivion, Resident Evil 4, and Thief. All of those are close in depth but lean in one way or another. I personally think that RE4 is the best game that has ever been made. I'm currently living in Santa Ana, CA right by the airport and shopping mall and will be joining the Oblivion team as an Art Director.

If you want to see more recent stuff you can find it here...

http://nghia59.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Watch out for adult content though.

I love all those games you listed. I can't recommend to people to play RE4 enough.

Damn maybe you can sneak in an easter egg (maybe a dead zentradi giant soldier) in a future elder scrolls game? I'm still looking for the dragon that is supposed to be hidden in Daggerfall after so many years of not playing it. It is a rare thing to find and I thought it was just a rumor.

Speaking of replaying older games, I was just playing halo 1 on pc and realised how much better this game feels with mouse/keyboard controls. I can headshot all the bird scouts so easily now. I loved the xbox game when it first came out, (the vehicles, the scope of the levels and how they don't feel like levels, the combat balance and combos you use to fight etc) and have no problems replaying this fps as it doesn't have that "scripted feel" of the typical cookie cutter fps and actually has decent replayability.

But I noticed another thing about this game: the assault rifle kinda looks like the yf19 gunpod... :D Does anyone think someone ripped off macross plus here?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker