New 1:1 Dyrl Helmet

hirohawa

I keep getting inquiries about this item. I'm considering doing it as a preorder to help offset the cost of casting the prototype. This will be the series premiere version, with other versions to follow if there is a demand for it.

Macross_Helmet_Sculpt_1.jpg

I'm setting a base price of $300 for a hollow cast unpainted version. $350 for painted. $450 for painted with an attached visor and padding.

For the painted version, people can get it any color scheme they want. The helmet will be cast in fiberglass reinforcesd resin. If you want to see other examples of my work, check my site, www.shadowdalecreations.com. We are currently booked at least 6 weeks in advance on new orders, so the sooner orders come in, the sooner I can place it on the production schedule.

Anyone interested?

Interested parties can write to us directly at shadow_dale_creations@yahoo.com. The first person to place an order puts this on the production schedule so everyone can have a chance to get one.

Cheers!

~ GM

Edited by GeneralMayhem

We need one of our master resin casters to do a recast of the thing!

EDIT: Oh I see it up there. SWEET!

Put me down for one!

Edited by Skull-1

Out of curiousity, do you have lineart or reference materials pulled together to get this going? Is the only sticking point needing someone to front cash to get the ball rolling?

I'm in the same boat, I want one, I can afford it, but I would like to see a finished product before I make a commitment. I am heading to Tokyo in a couple weeks, so I am going to hang onto my spending money this month, if nothing has happened I'll consider putting my money where my mouth is when I get back, but without a prototype it is hard for me to go floating cash off into the void.

By the way, the rest of the stuff on your site looks great, very professional. If it weren't for that fact there is no way in hell I would even consider putting cash on a "vaporware" project.

"Vaporware"?

I'll keep that in mind when you write in asking for one.

The helmet may look small to you, but it's on a head cast that wears XL size hats.

We have started taking solid orders for this, so it's on the calander for production. I'll post pictures when the first castings are ready to ship.

P.S. Don't even think about recasting my work. I WILL find out.

Edited by GeneralMayhem

"Vaporware"?

I'll keep that in mind when you write in asking for one.

The helmet may look small to you, but it's on a head cast that wears XL size hats.

We have started taking solid orders for this, so it's on the calander for production.  I'll post pictures when the first castings are ready to ship.

P.S.  Don't even think about recasting my work.  I WILL find out.

418719[/snapback]

That post wasn't intended to be offensive, but I can understand how it could have been taken that way. Like I said in my post, I went to your site and checked out your existing stuff, it looks very nice.

What I should have taken the time to say, is that my personal issue ( not that my personal issues mean crap) is that you don't have product to show before accepting money, I and I am sure many others have gotten into these sorts of projects before, being the buyer and offering up money in advance in a good faith agreement and ended up getting hosed due to poor planning, illness, act of god, 3rd party intervention, best intentions gone haywire, whatever. Nothing personal man, it's just that you are handling this like a commission someone came to you for instead of a product run you are offering. Most of the time the one who loses in these situations when anything goes wrong is the guy coughing up the cash on the front end.

I apologize for calling it "Vaporware" (vaporwear? :) ) however, the only thing you have shown so far is a picture that you indicated was a partial sculpt you started some months/years ago and may or may not still have.

I am still curious about your reference material, what series/version of the helmet you are doing? Although it sounds from the tone off your post that I don't need to bother asking, which I guess is fine too.

Good luck, I hope it comes out great, and if you my hold the post against me, I won't take it personally, it's easy to offend across the internet. And while I assume that the recaster warning was just a general statement to all, have no fear fom this MW/RPF member, I dont have the skills, time or lack of respect to do such a thing to someone who is supporting the hobby.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

The initial run of helmets will be the stock series version, followed by a deep space series version. Afterward I will modify the original to produce a DYRL version, followed by later Macross versions if there is interest.

The recasting comment was directed at Skull 1, who brought it up.

We never take orders for an item we cannot produce. We have in other forums, a reputation for delivering what we advertise. I do not expect anyone here to order one sight unseen. In venues where my work is better known, we have already begun taking orders, and those people have first dibs on the first run of helmets that are being produced. I'm sorry that others you've encountered were unable to follow through with their own obligations. I've had those experiences with vendors too. Our customers get what they pay for.

And yes, it is a commission that people came to me with, but I am letting it be known here as well, since some of those people insisted I do so. They seemed to think that the members here would want to know about such a project. If that was not the case then I apologize for bothering anyone.

When the first run is finished you may judge for yourself the quality of our work and decide for yourselves whether you are interested in purchasing one. If not, I won't lose any sleep over it.

~ GM

Yeah, recasting fan made stuff tends to be frowned upon on the rpf, since the original creator spent lots of time and effort, only to have someone else make a profit off their hard work. Which is a bit different from say recasting a valkyrie part from a toy that is prone to breaking with no replacements supplied by any companies...

oh oh i want a deepspace or DYRL helmet! :p

now i may hafta get that guard job at the prison...

22 bux an hour starting wages at part time, or 250 or so from unemployment for a bit... choices choices... :D

4 years blown military time + good conduct + get out on eld of service without a bad thing discharge = setup fer most things in life, just need to go get'em :)

course, the time in sucked, but 45 grand for school was all i was initialy after :p

Edited by GrimlockCW

The recasting comment was directed at Skull 1, who brought it up. 

418837[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about?????????

Directed at me? I don't even know how to cast... Sheeesh.

I was simply suggesting that someone should come up with a resin version of the 1:1 helmet so it doesn't have to cost $1000. I didn't realize it was your (or anyone's for that matter) exclusive intellectual property. Besides I quickly realized you were making one and EDITED the post to in effect say, "Never mind the recast comment."

Nice attitude problem, there, bigshot. Well forget it. You won't get an order from me.

:angry::angry::angry:

Edited by Skull-1

If you check out page 2 of the thread there are two other guys in the process of sculpting helmets there too.  If they come up with a solid sculpt I will be very excited.  I was checking out used motorcycle helmets at the local swap meet this past weekend in anticipation, looking for padding I could cannibalize :)

412422[/snapback]

I will get one from them when it happens. Most excellent.

Let's not derail into a hate-fest here, I had no intention of starting an argument and I am really excited that GeneralMayhem is working on a helmet sculpt, I am glad a few others seem to be taking a poke at it as well.

Skull-1, I thought it was pretty clear that you were referring to the 1k original, and pleading for someone to produce an alternative in your post, once again a tiny bit of uncertainty and everyone gets their feelings hurt.

I am eager to see what comes out of those projects, I think of the three discussed, GeneralMayhem's looks like it will be the one that sees major progress first. Just a guess, and I hope it does turn out awesome.

Skull-1, I thought it was pretty clear that you were referring to the 1k original, and pleading for someone to produce an alternative in your post, once again a tiny bit of uncertainty and everyone gets their feelings hurt.

420106[/snapback]

Thanks four vouching for me. I honestly wasn't trying to screw a fan out of his hard work or advocating anyone do such a thing...

Skull 1, sorry for the misunderstanding. As fellow RPF members can tell you, recasting is a touchy subject, and we take the issue very seriously regarding each others work, so forgive me if I seemed to overreact.

We are accepting deposits for the first run. Others who would rather wait to see the finished piece can wait for the second run if there is one. Interested parties can contact us through our website, or write to us directly at shadow_dale_creations@yahoo.com.

~ GM

Skull 1, sorry for the misunderstanding.  As fellow RPF members can tell you, recasting is a touchy subject, and we take the issue very seriously regarding each others work, so forgive me if I seemed to overreact.

General, sir, apology accepted. Please accept my apology for my over the top, vitriolic response. This was a complete and total communication breakdown and thusly no harm intended on either end. Put me in for an order!

Stupid question: does the painted helmet price include custom colors? I want one painted to match the guy in my avatar. :)

think there could be a chance to do Shin's helmet when he was piloting the F-14? (the one with the detachable facemask)

It'd be really nice if one could be certified for racing use, 'cause the mask could hook up to an airbox of some sort...

Please give us some updates/progress pics GM.

For the price tag i want to be sure this is a piece i can feel proud of sittin on my coffee table.

If this baby is perfect then i am sure a 2nd run will be in order!

I'm watching and i'm keen. :ph34r:

>> Particularly interested in how the visor will look too! <<

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

guys i e-mailed GM and got a great reply form his/her co-worker.

----------

Thank you for inquiring about the progress on that particular project.

There should be more photographs in about 2 weeks so you can see the progress as it's going along.

We understand completely about wanting it to be just right since it's such a great collectible and being such hardcore fans we wouldn't want to produce anything less than perfection.

Fully packed it should weigh about 8 lbs and the postage would be for surface post with insurance $34.00 USD and for Airmail insured $58.00.

So, we'll post more pictures when we've got them taken and perhaps you'll like what you see.

Thank you for your inquiry.

----------

well... i'm excited! So lets wait for the hot cakes shall we?

And are there any other projects going on at the same time or coming up?

From looking at the quality of GM's work, i guess can you really expect

anything less than a perfet 1:1?

Now, all i gotta do is see about a 1:1 scale of a certain coffee table in the series. :p :P :D lol!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

GeneralMayhem-

Will you be offering a Macross Plus, Isamu style helmet, complete with clear top?

I am pretty sure there is a way to make clear resin/plastic.

422487[/snapback]

If enough Series version Macross helmets are sold, yes, I'll consider doing a Macross Plus version. Clear plastic is not a problem.

So what colour will everyone have their TV helm schemed as?

423219[/snapback]

A Hikaru one would be Iconic as next to the SDF1, VF1 and may be Minmay it`s easily the most recognised thing in Macross