Rant Warning: Need More Sci Fi!

wolfx

Gattaca and Dark City were really cool. Most ppl think Matrix was the pioneer in terms of "Virtual World" kinda setting but really, Dark City was there before Matrix, and even TRON.

Putting everyone's thoughts together, i think the win-win situation for both Hollywood and moviegoers are the space operas. Lots of explosions. Lots of explosions. Lots of drama. I have yet to jump into the BSG bandwagon, but it does look fun.

To be honest... I think there are a lot of 'true science fiction' movies out there. They are just overlooked or ignored due to the heavy market saturation and marketing of some of the other films.

Solaris and Gattaca are the first to come to mind. Neither had big explosions or flashy special effects (admitadly Solaris had more special effects, but were they eye-candy, or only there to move the story along?) Both were meditating on something, and when the vewier left the theater (or turned off the DVD), they were still thinking about it... there's others out there... somewhere.

I think the main problem of SF nowadays is well summarized by JsARCLIGHT and Penguin: (young) people want entertainment, nothing more...

Excuse me for saying so, but isn't that kind of the point? I didn't go to see Serenity because I felt I wasn't bored enough. I didn't go because I was hoping to find something educational, or something of intellectual value. I went because I wanted to be entertained. And I found it to be quite so.

The problem is, most of Hollywood is so out of touch with the rest of America that they are more or less guessing what people might find entertaining. That's when we wind up with movies like Aeon Flux.

Oh, yeah, and it's not so much that there's a lack of sci-fi movies... more like there's a lack of movies set in space...

Unfortunately not many space movies make money lately, but John Carter of Mars is worth keeping an eye on.

On the dvd front 'Night Watch' just came out: it's got some great visuals, pretty good story as well - think CLAMP's X series set in Russia with the two sides (Light and Dark) in a Cold War stalemate

Unfortunately not many space movies make money lately, but John Carter of Mars is worth keeping an eye on.

409727[/snapback]

I find it extremely worrying that Jon Favreau is currently scheduled to direct John Carter of Mars.

Graham

On the dvd front 'Night Watch' just came out:  it's got some great visuals, pretty good story as well - think CLAMP's X series set in Russia with the two sides (Light and Dark) in a Cold War stalemate

409727[/snapback]

I would have mentioned Night Watch save for the fact that it isn't sci-fi at all, I saw it in the cinema and brought the dvd cos it's such a good film and just so different.

Does anyone consider Event Horizon a good sci-fi flick? Sure it was mostly psychological/slasher horror type stuff but there was plenty of talk of Black Holes etc

Edited by Fort Max

Will Smith was recently signed to do a film adapted from Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Its a great vampire story and arguably considered by many to be the best vampire story ever written.

409766[/snapback]

NOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :angry:

That is wrong on just so many levels.

Yes, I agree that I Am Legend is a great book.

Graham

I went in to watch "Event Horizon" expecting a science fiction movie set in the near future. What it really was made me turn green, literally. I wasn't expecting half the gore that was in the movie!

When I watched it for the 2nd time, a few years later, I was impressed by the quality of the film sets, and special effects. Overal, it was a pretty good film, with some realistic science in it.

Is it a good science fiction movie? Hmmm... I guess it's a parable on learning how to control your imagination, and not letting your imagination control you. In those terms, it is an interesting twist to sci-fi horror (actually making it science fiction horror.) In a way, it's thematically similar to "Solaris"...

I went in to watch "Event Horizon" expecting a science fiction movie set in the near future.  What it really was made me turn green, literally.  I wasn't expecting half the gore that was in the movie!

When I watched it for the 2nd time, a few years later, I was impressed by the quality of the film sets, and special effects.  Overal, it was a pretty good film, with some realistic science in it.

Is it a good science fiction movie?  Hmmm... I guess it's a parable on learning how to control your imagination, and not letting your imagination control you.  In those terms, it is an interesting twist to sci-fi horror (actually making it science fiction horror.)  In a way, it's thematically similar to "Solaris"...

409778[/snapback]

oooh, event horizon has got to be one of my all time favorite horror flicks... just well done all around.

Solaris was pretty good, I thought, for all the bashing it received.

I went in to watch "Event Horizon" expecting a science fiction movie set in the near future.  What it really was made me turn green, literally.  I wasn't expecting half the gore that was in the movie!

When I watched it for the 2nd time, a few years later, I was impressed by the quality of the film sets, and special effects.  Overal, it was a pretty good film, with some realistic science in it.

Is it a good science fiction movie?  Hmmm... I guess it's a parable on learning how to control your imagination, and not letting your imagination control you.  In those terms, it is an interesting twist to sci-fi horror (actually making it science fiction horror.)  In a way, it's thematically similar to "Solaris"...

409778[/snapback]

oooh, event horizon has got to be one of my all time favorite horror flicks... just well done all around.

409795[/snapback]

Yep, that movie was a great ride. All that scary stuff in the middle of space created the perfect mood.

409778[/snapback]

Solaris was pretty good, I thought, for all the bashing it received.

409795[/snapback]

Plus you gotta love a spaceship designed from the Notre Dame cathedral!

Will Smith was recently signed to do a film adapted from Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Its a great vampire story and arguably considered by many to be the best vampire story ever written.

*does a google on I AM LEGEND*

HRM??? WHAT!

*blinks*

Ah! They are remaking The Last Man On Earth, but with a different name, again. No way in hell is Smith gonna be able to pull it off. Price did an awsome job the first time, but now it sounds like they are gonna make it a modern day lame 'monster movie'.

I don't remember being very entertained by Event Horizon though. But then again nothing much scares me nowadays. I saw it more of a horror/thriller which happened to happen in space.

But I remmebered the part where some dude was exposed to the vacuum of space. That looked painful and freaky.

I thought Event Horizon was fine up until you had Sam Neil ripping his eyes out then the movie basically became Hellraiser in space and all the tension and plot they built up degenerated into a stupid mortal kombat-ish fistfight. The on top of that the ending was totally annoying. Great first 3/4s, terrible last fourth.

*does a google on I AM LEGEND*

HRM??? WHAT!

*blinks*

Ah! They are remaking The Last Man On Earth, but with a different name, again. No way in hell is Smith gonna be able to pull it off. Price did an awsome job the first time, but now it sounds like they are gonna make it a modern day lame 'monster movie'.

409909[/snapback]

I remember several years ago, Arnold's name was mentioned as starring in a new remake.

Never seen the original Vincent Price version, only the 1971 Charleton Heston remake, released as The Omega Man.

Graham

Have to agree with everyone on BSG and Doctor Who. Battlestar Galactica is easily one of best scifi tv shows I've ever seen.

I don't think, however that scifi will probably ever translate well to the bigscreen again. As has allready been stated these movies are cash hogs, and the studios are geared for creating a product (an hour and a half commercial), instead of content (insert any great movie.) As a result of this I never go to the movies and usually just buy dvds of tv shows and movies from 15 years ago+.

Comic books, manga, and standard novels will undoutedly be the last sanctuary for this medium. It sure as hell won't be movies, or anime.

The last bit of SF I've read lately (last 2 years) were The Foundation novels from Asimov, and The Five Star Stories. When I find the time I'lll probably start reading more Philip K. Dick.

So any good american SF comic books come out lately? (non-superhero)

Also, what happened to Itano and Mikimoto's Titania project? I haven't followed anime in the last two years (too busy watching Miami Vice to watch anime aimed at little kids.)

I vaguely remember having seen The Omega Man. That's where he hides in an apartment building and the vampires shoot cannonballs at the building in their attempts to kill him, right? :huh: I avoid 80% of the movies from the 60's-mid late 70's because they are just so so bad. There's gems there but you've really gotta dig to find them!

The Price version is pretty good, but it's low quality and has a nasty 30's something slow feel to it. It kinda is like a Twilight Zone episode though because it's b&w.

Have to agree with everyone on BSG and Doctor Who. Battlestar Galactica is easily one of best scifi tv shows I've ever seen.

410005[/snapback]

Personally I never really got the whole following of BSG. I got the god names influence, the growing up with it, and the closeness to S&W. But it just never struck me as memoryable beyond the Cylons designs. :unsure:

Guest Bromgrev
Does anyone consider Event Horizon a good sci-fi flick? Sure it was mostly psychological/slasher horror type stuff but there was plenty of talk of Black Holes etc

409764[/snapback]

In a way, it's exactly what I would call a good SF film: a story first and foremost, but in an SF setting with a purpose. In other words, not just a film which has no reason for existance except its SF 'wallpaper'.

409778[/snapback]

I agree on the Solaris part, and it definitely could have been better. But the first half was very promising - it's just a pity it degenerated the way it did. It ha all the makings of Cthulhu in Space.
I vaguely remember having seen The Omega Man. That's where he hides in an apartment building and the vampires shoot cannonballs at the building in their attempts to kill him, right?  :huh: I avoid 80% of the movies from the 60's-mid late 70's because they are just so so bad. There's gems there but you've really gotta dig to find them!

410012[/snapback]

The good thing is that any film still being talked about 40 years later is bound to have something going for it.

I avoid 80% of the movies from the 60's-mid late 70's because they are just so so bad. There's gems there but you've really gotta dig to find them!

410012[/snapback]

I love dystopian future movies sci-fi made in the 70s, they are the best.

Death Race 2000 is one of my all time favorite movies.

Graham

I love dystopian future movies sci-fi made in the 70s, they are the best.

Death Race 2000 is one of my all time favorite movies.

Graham

410084[/snapback]

Absolutely. "Death Race 2000" is a Corman classic. The 70s gave us the original "Planet of the Apes", "Logan's Run", "Rollerball" (one of my favourites) and a host of other post-apocalyptic/world-gone-wrong films. In many ways, they paved the road for those visions of the future seen in "Alien" and "Blade Runner".

I never liked "The Omega Man", I have to say. When I first saw it I thought it was silly, and once I learned it was loosely inspired by (I refuse to say "based on") "I Am Legend", it went from silly to ludicrous.

I did say there were gems there!

Death Race 2000 was good, but by gum Westworld was totally awsome. The Blob movies were only popcorn fun though. Solent Green was neat, but the idea of 'forced' cannibalism doesn't get touched on much anymore with any depth other then a 'minor' plot design(thinks of a certain mangka)..

Westworld, Death Race 2000, Rollerball (the original), Planet of the Apes (the original), Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, Logan's Run, Soylent Green (although the Harry Harrison book it's based on 'Make Room, Make Room' is better). THX 1138, Dark Star (gotta love talking bombs), Mad Max and a few others that slip my mind.

Graham

Does anybody remember Silent Running?

A good newer film I've seen recently is "Immotel (ad vitam)" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/ made by french comic artist Enki Bilal. I wholeheartly agree with the critics that the CG characters sucked big time, but there's so much more in this movie, a beautiful mood of urban decay, bizarre imagery, a totally unique artistic vision. And the movie doesn't insult the intelligence and the imagination of the audience by explainnig everything A - Z.

-i-

Does anybody remember Silent Running?

A good newer film I've seen recently is "Immotel (ad vitam)" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/ made by french comic artist Enki Bilal. I wholeheartly agree with the critics that the CG characters sucked big time, but there's so much more in this movie, a beautiful mood of urban decay, bizarre imagery, a totally unique artistic vision. And the movie doesn't insult the intelligence and the imagination of the audience by explainnig everything A - Z.

-i-

410645[/snapback]

That's one of the things I loved about the first star wars movies. Lucas doesn't sit their and explain what hyperspace is, or how a lightsaber works... everyone in that universe just accepts all those things and takes them for granted and as a result, the audience does at well... Most modern sci-fi spends half the move in exposition, explaining stuff to the audience.