Yamato 1/60 Vf-1j Armored Valk Any Good??

Sharrdd

Can't tell you from personally experience since I don't have one. But from what I've heard, its not very good. Trouble to keep the armor stay on especially the pieces on the hip and groin.

The GBP for the 1/48 is awesome though, if budget allows. Its really heavy for the 1/48, making it harder to balance. But it has so much inner details and with all the removable missiles(though some a bit loose), while all the parts fit on to the 1/48 very nicely and sturdy.

Welcome to MW. First and foremost before anyone screams at you for being a noob and not using the search function - it's not working again. That said, read on...

I don't know how much experience you have with the 1/60 line, but you'll find that many of us here have vastly different opinions on the matter. Personally, I like my 1/60s while others think they downright suck. As display pieces they're nice, but for play, they're not very user-friendly. For a review of the 1/60 VF-1J, look here. Though this review is for the Super version, the valk itself is exactly the same.

As for the GBP armor, it's alright. Some of it's pros are that all the missile hatches can open, unlike the old school Takatoku 1/55 GBP. Also, it's a nice addition to the most complete line of Yamato's Macross toys. Truly, that's about it. Here's a few of its lesser points: first of all, the front and rear crotch pieces don't fit together particularly well, thus the front piece has a real tendency to fall off. Second, the missiles are molded into the armor so you can't remove them. Third, the hip armors don't really allow you to splay the legs open, so you're pretty much stuck with it standing straight-legged. While the 1/60s really aren't all that poseable from the start, the added bulk of the GBP really limits your options.

All in all, I'd say it's nice to have if you're a completist, but really not worth messing with if it's going to be your only valk. If that's the case, you're much better off getting a 1/48 valk and the GBP armor. Sure, it's a lot more expensive, but well worth it.

Okay, I finally got the search function to work and found this. I don't know if it will be helpful since I didn't bother to read it - I was just happy the search finally worked.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

I found that the overall detail is not bad for something that it firstly a toy and secondly is smallish They are certainly better detailed than the 1/55`s are and the functionality of the missle pods is great, the only problems I have found are the Groin/nosecone covers dont stay on ( simple additon of Invisitape stops that ) and the weight makes posing it a bit more difficult due to the (unplayed with ) looseness of the hips. Overall slap on a bit of pannellines and general wear and tear paint etc and its a great little addition to your 1/60 collection.

The inportant thing to remember is that it is a toy and as such a certain ammount of detain has to be lost to provide functionallity and keep costs down. If you want anime accuracy then your only real choice is model kits.

The 1/48`s are a whole better animal. They are more detailed and mostly stay together more redily than their smaller bretherin. The only problem I have with them is that due to size I cant have many as storage and display is a problem. :( I only wish the 1/48 range was as prolific as the 1/60 range, as Im sure the rest of MW do too.

Wellcome to MW Sharrd!

In my oppinion Yamato made a really sweet job with the GBP, it is actually better than what I was expecting. I really recommend you to get a set, it is a really really cool "toy".

You won't regret getting one.

While I like and respect the 1/60 line for its proportions and detail, the 1/60 GBP is actually one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. The proportions are all outta whack, the details are either weak or not there at all, and the thing doesn't stay together without some clear tape, period. I hate mine more than anything, expecially since I now have a 1/48 GBP, which was an absolute, joy to detail and decal and weather.

Hey, Sharrdd, welcome to MW! One piece of advice I can give you, pick up at least one set of FP's while it's still available. It's better to buy now than later when everyone else is out of 'em and you would have to pay out the butt just to get one ;) !

Thanks for all the advice, I went with a pair of 1/48s.

Hopefully I can get one of the GBP armor kits soon, not really sold on the fastpacks though.

402017[/snapback]

Sharrdd - Go with the Super steath mate, it is friggin sweeeeeeetttt!!!

:ph34r:

Avoid the 1/60 GBP like the plague. IMO, it's the most disappointing addition to the 1/60 line that Yamato made.

As others have mentioned, the front groin armor falls off if you even look at it wrong and the legs constantly fall off, as adding the armor means the hip joint pegs cannot fit deep enough to stay in. Plus the missiles are non-removeable, the sculpt is lacking detail, the proportions are a bit off and the Valk with armor has balance issues.

If you want a good GBP, buy the excellent Yamato 1/48 version, or if you are a 1/55 fan track down the old Takatoku version on ebay, anything but the Yamato 1/60 version.

As much as I love Yamato toys in general and am a big admirer of their efforts in bringing us a wide range of quality Macross toys, there are two products of theirs I cannot stand, the 1/60 GBP and the 1/72 YF-21FP.

Graham

If you want a good GBP, buy the excellent Yamato 1/48 version, or if you are a 1/55 fan track down the old Takatoku version on ebay, anything but the Yamato 1/60 version.

Aw c'mon Graham, it's not that bad. Check it out, here's my "IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!" Thing impression done with a Yammy 1/60 GBP

160gbp133jh.jpg

I agree - I like my 1/60 gbp. The only bad bit is the thigh armor. The thigh pegs don't connect to the nose very well with the armor on. This is easily fixed with some 'blu-tac' (that's what it's called in australia) - you know that stuff you use to stick posters on walls. just stuff a little ball into the hole in the nose cone then push in the the thigh pegs and it holds just fine.

Plus, these days it's a pretty cheap buy.

I like it too. It's a good addition to the 1/60 line. Like others said use some clear tape for the hip armor and you are set :)

I have 6, 3x 1/60's and 3x 1/48's. If money is not an issue buy at least one of each scale. I can't even start to describe how awesome the 1/48 GBP is.

My 1/60th GBP has some real issues I have to say. Getting it to all hang together when being assembled was really difficult. Once I managed to get it all put together and posed in a stable pose most of it stays on fine. But the process of getting it to that stage involved a lot of cussing, as one bit went on another bit flew off....

The crotch piece still doesn't stay together, mine flys apart if left to its own devices. A small amount of sticky tape on each seam, hidden where it can't be seen unless to go looking specifically did the job nicely in holding it together. I'd say that it looks...alright once assembled. I'm not a huge fan of it, but its not too bad for what I paid for it.

Karl

Aw c'mon Graham, it's not that bad.  Check it out, here's my "IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!" Thing impression done with a Yammy 1/60 GBP

I'm not sure about that pose Jenius.

For some reason when I first saw it, I visualized a table in front of him with him bending over for an inspection. :o

Maybe it's the angle or the Dr's office white cleanroom environment. ::shudder::

LOL, okay. It still reminds me of Thing from Fantastic 4 punchin' the crap outta something but I could see where his lean might be a bit excessive. The clean room white makes the toys stand out better but I guess this explains why some people prefer all black backgrounds.

Well I might consider taking back what I said about the 1/60 GBP. Nearly threw mine across the room today when it wouldnt stay stood up in my display cabinet. I only had to move it because my Cannon 1/60 fell over.

Dam 1/60`s and their loose hips.

Aw c'mon Graham, it's not that bad. Check it out, here's my "IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!" Thing impression done with a Yammy 1/60 GBP

160gbp133jh.jpg

402086[/snapback]

Thanks for posting the pic jenius ... it definitely does not compare quality-wise to the 1/48 version!! Can't wait to get the GBP 1/48 ...... next month probably ....

:)