New Shadow Chronicles Screen Caps

They made an attempt to continue Robotech with a series that turned into a feature instead. With the same characters and same mechs... We already have one Sentinels and they just remade it with the Shadow Cronicles.

That isn't quite right. The storyI heard was that they went to find funding and got nothing but hesitation. Still, they were convinced there was more money to be made from Robotech so they pulled enough funding to make an OVA. If the OVA does well they think it shouldn't be difficult to acquire funding from the folks who hesitated the first time around and then make an entire series, or, at the very least, follow-up OVAs.

Obviously this isn't like Sentinels where they had funding and then had it yanked leaving behind only a few completed episodes that they then spliced together into an OVA.

What this might be more akin to is Robotech 3000. That was a project that I think was due to become an OVA and never came to fruition. However, we've already seen more screen caps and animation then we ever got of Robotech 3K. I think these additional pics must be an indication that progress is still being made... if not very slowly.

Yes, this project is already a year late. The Prelude comic was supposed to have the last episode come out like a week before the OVA did. That way there you could read the comics and then buy the OVA and not sit there wondering why some of the major Robotech characters are back and others aren't. It also satisfied the people who enjoyed the Sentinels since it seems like the OVA won't go anywhere near that storyline... it has concluded in the comics.

I want to support HG but this is getting to be really, really ridiculous. They made so many promises that seem to fall short. Granted, things happened that were beyond their control but this series was promised last year and still no Shadow Chronicles. The comic series was to tie directly into the OVA release and boom another delay. How can they promise anything if they haven't signed a distributor? Promises, promises....................... :huh:<_<

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Why isn't ADV the distributor? I thought they had a deal with HG that they released all of the Robotech stuff? Why should HG be needing to shop for a distributor when they have really only used one distributor in the last five years or so for DVD media? HG, through ADV, has released numerous different iterations of Robotech so why would they suddenly be "looking for a distributor"?

Something is rotten in Denmark.

If I had to throw a guess... which is what everyone is doing anyway... I'd say they blew the bank on this thing and they are having to shop for a distributor because their current distro (ADV) wanted too big a cut to produce and distribute the thing. Either that or they want their regular cut and because HG sank so much loot into this thing they need to make more profit to break even they need a distro who's cut is signifigantly lower. I will not be suprised in the least if this gets a shoddy release in sub par packaging from a no-name house just to save coin on production... either that or HG is just going to have to suck it up and go with ADV as they usually do.

I think that was just the manga side. Which I'm still pissed about because of the stopped publication of titles and them holding the damned things! Same thing with those idiots at DHC!

But then again ADV didn't get a couple of series that they needed to get (Eureka 7, Tenjho Tenge, AMG, the My Hime(& Mai Otome) series). And have ended up getting dud titles like Yumeria & Godannar!! And releasing the ancient looking Macross(a niche market anime).

So if it's bomb. Meaning they can't find a distributor or it doesn't appeal to anime fan other than Robotech fans. Is that the end of Robotech?

I would say so. Then again, if they stopped making new Macross would that be the end of Macross? Yes, but only in one way. I think since we have seen two new games, a rehashing of the DVDs, new comics, and several lines of toys in near history Robotech is more alive now than it has been. They might be trying to ink some deal that also includes merchandising rights of some sort and other craziness and maybe that's the hold-up. Maybe things can't get penned until there's officially a Shadow Chronicles video game in the works or some suchness. There's definitely something afoot here but it doesn't necessarily spell disaster. As George W Bush might say, perhaps this is all a case of "strategery."

Ah, but this is 2006, they can just download some encoding software, buy a DVD burner, & run some covers off at Kinko's. Hell, it'd give them an excuse to hold another crappy fan-art contest.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

*snip- too long to quote*

... either that or HG is just going to have to suck it up and go with ADV as they usually do.

Agreed. Something doesn't sound right here....

That isn't quite right.  The storyI heard was that they went to find funding and got nothing but hesitation.  Still, they were convinced there was more money to be made from Robotech so they pulled enough funding to make an OVA.  If the OVA does well they think it shouldn't be difficult to acquire funding from the folks who hesitated the first time around and then make an entire series, or, at the very least, follow-up OVAs.

393610[/snapback]

It doesn't matter what the inside story is... the fact is, they just replicated their whole Sentinels feat.

Series -->straight to video feature(if that) --> big fat zero.

Edited by >EXO<

That was back in the 80s and animation technology wasn't that great. This new production by the pirates at HG are using 21st Century techniques and this is the best they come up with.

389289[/snapback]

I'll never understand this argument. Animation technology is the same as it always was -- a bunch of still pictures flashing by to give the impression of movement. They can draw the stills on a computer now, but that just makes them look shittier in my opinion. The good episodes in Macross look better than anything made in the last few years. The Anime Friend eps really do look like garbage though.

Computers make it a lot cheaper and less time consuming to pump out something that looks decent.