Boxer

What way do you like your mecha?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What way do you like your mecha?

• Variable (more than one setting!)
    • Variable (Aircraft/car modes)
    • Nonvariable (plain and simple)
    • hybrid (Tank tread legs!)

Just a question that fell on my head today, specially as I'm drawing my bazillionth nonvariable mecha....

Just a curiosity. I know it's practically suicidal on a forum populated by Macross and Transformer fans, but I thought I might as well ask... as well as toss in a few options to make the thread a little more useful.

Now here's the part for discussion: why do you like your mecha that way?

Boxer, I think the poll information is a liitle confusing but now that I read it carefully, I prefer my mecha as Variable(than one) because it's more convieniently versatile to the pilot and it helps in all situations.

multiple modes are a must. the Vf-1 and its siblings are and will continue to be #1.

I think transformers and other two mode variable mecha are great but dont score as highly for me. Its all a matter of the purpose of that mecha. Like tetsujin 28 or the mecha from Gazaraki. They great b/c they do one thing and they do it well.

edit : is it?

no transformation = Tetsujin 28/Gigantor

more than 1 mode/change = car to robot

more than 2 modes/change = motor cycle to robot to jet ski

more than 3 modes/changes = jet to gerwalk to robot ...um? vf-1 super :)

Edited by Macross73

No doubt this may come as a surprise to many, but I typically don't enjoy variable mecha. They are more often than not some kind of gimic that comes across as looking silly or one fails to see the advantage of the configuration into which it changes.

Macross is one of the few science fiction franchises that pulls it off and does so with style to spare. The battroid mode of most Macross Valkyries are spectacular while serving a valid function and the fighter configuration obviously looks faster than any flying robot :)

Ultimately though, I suppose non-variable mecha appeal to me simply because there are so many more non-variable mecha in science fiction than variable. I assume due to the difficulty of selling the concept of a transforming mecha and because some see variable mecha as less realistic, so few sci-fi stories bother with variable mecha. I like mecha all the way from traditional humanoid robots, to giant walkers, to slow moving, tank-like mechs, to small, human scale war machines, to powered armor. So many of the mecha have their place and in a realisitc military, a combined arms featuring various scales of mecha with different mission designs would be the only way to go.

I actually don't care. transformation are a plus...but it has to look good in all modes...that's my main beef about the newer transformers...one mode looks good, then the other looks like ka ka.

if it's non transformable, then it just has to have enough detail to look like a robot...

I preffer transformable mecha because it usually gives the mecha a wider range of possibilities to get the job done.

Fighter --> dominates the sky

Battroid --> good for hand to hand combat and urban warfare

Gerwalk --> everything in between

I prefer transformable. 2 or 3 modes doesn't matter so long as it looks kick ass.

One of the things I particularly like about macross is that each mode does serve a purpose within the world it lives in.

Fighter is the speediest. (weapons great for long range)

Battroid allows for fighting in close or in areas where there is no space to manuever in fighter mode.

Gerwalk easier to use than battroid, but has some of the qualities that come with battroid (like manipulator arms) that make it better at fighting than a fighter jet would be (such as being able to shoot a gun at wide angles whilst staying still.) but without the penalties of a battroid (too much drag, not good for fast travel)

I also think combinable mecha are cool. The assault type aquarion has many great modes of combat. (the walking tank mode it my fave) If I didn't spend all my money on macross toys I would have bought one of these already.

Another one I like is the octos from macross zero. Looks like an underwater craft and can hide, but has a land mode which changes it into a walking tank with rollers on its legs to extend its range. More tranformable destroid would be nice in the macross world. Also I love the variable glaug over its single mode version. Please make one of these as toys yamato, just like the variable monster! :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Variable mecha as long as their alt mode serves a purpose & that purpose is well illustrated in the fiction, VF's spring to mind as simply the best example of this but I also see the same sort of idea behind Eureka Sevens LFO's and their fast moving car modes.

Something like Aquarion otoh is very entertaining to watch but makes little sense.

I really don't care whether it transformers or not, it all boils down to whether the mech is stupid or cool. There's plenty of awesome, and plenty of terrible mecha in both categories.

Someone already mentioned the classic giant robot and super robot designs, like Tetsujin 28, Giant Robo, Mazinger Z, etcetera. All awesome. Don't transform.

Then you have the Transformers. Some great designs, some terrible designs, really the transforming aspect doesn't really help if the basic idea is just plain bad.

Just a question that fell on my head today, specially as I'm drawing my bazillionth nonvariable mecha....

Just a curiosity. I know it's practically suicidal on a forum populated by Macross and Transformer fans, but I thought I might as well ask... as well as toss in a few options to make the thread a little more useful.

Now here's the part for discussion: why do you like your mecha that way?

386507[/snapback]

It depends, are you fighting in space or fighting on a terrestial environment?

If the former, non variable, if the latter, go with variables. If you have to do both, then it depends on the type of terrestial environment, on a place like the moon, probably a non variable, but near a real planet with real atmosphere, you take the variable mechan.

Heh... I'll go for a legioss. It's variable like on land it's a tank in soldiermode and in space and air it could attack enemies on air and ground. It's small and it has a mospeada stored inside. It uses HBT... common fuel to most marsbase units. ;P

And eh... it's so small it might fit inside a large garage.

Edited by Kin

The reason I split up the variable category is because some people like just only one alternate mode. Then there are those of us that like our Valkyries and Orgusses, with 3-4 modes of transformation.

I like Variable mecha as a novelty, not necissarily a main part of an attack force. VFs are a good exception because they aren't big and shiny... in a way they're simple in their limited size. The Orguss is another because it is _The_ Orguss, and because it's such a rare, hero machine, it has this exception (even the MP Orgusses were rare, as the Emaan flyers of Orguss still had predominance).

Ultimately though, nonvariable mecha are a closer grasp to reality than variable machines. Besides, I think it might be more frightening to know that a machine doesn't have to be in a special mode to destroy you.

Edited by Boxer