Battlefield 2142 Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_t6g0VLLY0

In fact, the narrative itself seems to borrow heavily from the Heavy Gear backstory. But that aside, maybe this is finally the Battlefield game for mecha-heads. Graphically it doesn't seem terribly different from the current BF2 engine, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe we'll see some DirectX10 optimization, so we can get all the bells and whistles like HDR lighting and destructible environments.

Now, if only some dedicated mod programmers could produce a friggen Gundam One Year War mod already!

I hope they FIX BF2 before they move on to anything else. Ever since they released their latest patches, countless users have had to deal with a variety of issues ranging from lag, crashes, and all types of errors that just ruin one's day...

Yeah, it's bad enough to make a grown man cry. My efforts to undo the last patch resulted in the disappearance of my primary user-name. All of that work! :(

Don't get me wrong, I love BF, just not its BS... :p

Grown men crying...

Edited by myk

I hope they FIX BF2 before they move on to anything else.  Ever since they released their latest patches, countless users have had to deal with a variety of issues ranging from lag, crashes, and all types of errors that just ruin one's day...

382603[/snapback]

Can't speak for those other people, but I haven't had too many problems with BF2. But then again...I'm not totally satisified with their current patching jobs...

In fact, the narrative itself seems to borrow heavily from the Heavy Gear backstory. But that aside, maybe this is finally the Battlefield game for mecha-heads. Graphically it doesn't seem terribly different from the current BF2 engine, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe we'll see some DirectX10 optimization, so we can get all the bells and whistles like HDR lighting and destructible environments.

382547[/snapback]

Neat! Except for a moment I thought I was watching Red vs Blue. The voiceover sounds like Caboose doing his best William Shatner. The designs are a little uninspired and generic-- not quite up to the level of those in Heavy Gear. Was hoping for designs that resembled those from Gasaraki or something.

The walkers do look a tad generic. With all the designs out there in all media formats, it's really getting tough to come up with something unique, or at least not as recognizable.

Here's a blurb I found from DICE studios about BF2142

Hi BF fans,

Today we have some really big news to share with you. The more sniper-eyed of you out there will probably already know, but we're currently hard at work developing "Battlefield 2142", which is scheduled for release this Autumn. As you'll have guessed, this is a departure for the BF series as we're going into the future - something that a lot of you wanted to see happen in the BF universe. We're creating a ton of cool features that you won't have seen in any BF before, including cloaking devices, mines that follow you, awesome new rifles, guns and grenades, and of course, MECHS! We're developing this here in DICE Stockholm while the DICE Canada studio will be hard at work on a 1.3 update for Battlefield 2, as well as the Armoured Fury Booster Pack.

There'll be an "official" press release later on this week but we know that you guys need to know first. Stay tuned and we'll keep you posted on how 2142 is coming along.

The BF2142 Team

P.S. Snoken - vi har sett fram emot Mine 2 och kan lugnt säga att vi inte blev besvikna!

I used to love BF2 but my passion for it seems to come and go. I'm concerned, the new game looks too armor heavy. The armor is a good way to rack up statistical points but it seems to detract from the real fun of the game. That being - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Holy crap.  The promo viedeo certainly was awesome...except for the narration.  All I have to say is:  Great, another new game that looks amazing that my computer won't run..... I need a new rig sooooo badly.

382748[/snapback]

You're not alone on this. If not for the constant Yamato releases, i'd have one already. >_>

Holy crap.  The promo viedeo certainly was awesome...except for the narration.  All I have to say is:  Great, another new game that looks amazing that my computer won't run..... I need a new rig sooooo badly.

382748[/snapback]

Well all I know is that its coming out for Windows Vista and the game itself will just make your computer blow; good thing Im getting one soon :)

Anyways I dont look foward to this game at all, EA is being too confident and that can end up being something bad. And plus I think it doesnt look like the future as we will develop technology way better than that, thats just my .2 cents.

382748[/snapback]

Well all I know is that its coming out for Windows Vista and the game itself will just make your computer blow; good thing Im getting one soon :)

Anyways I dont look foward to this game at all, EA is being too confident and that can end up being something bad. And plus I think it doesnt look like the future as we will develop technology way better than that, thats just my .2 cents.

382812[/snapback]

I like BF2... but I'm kinda missing BF: Vietnam. I always laughed hearing the music playing as people drove / flew by, etc.

Hmm...So I take it we're all players then? How often does everyone play? Favorite kits? Servers? Inquiring minds want to know! Does anyone still play the other BF's?

Amped DX news has scans of the new PC Gamer article on BF2142.

Edit: Just don't bother reading the little editorial about BF2142 on Amped. The writer makes a few good points about EA pushing yet another BF game onto the market in short order (18 months after BF2, give or take) but then slides into fanboyism with criticism of the "science" in the game's Sci Fi setting, and finishes off with the now-mandatory calls for a boycott. :rolleyes:

Edited by bsu legato

I like BF2... but I'm kinda missing BF: Vietnam.  I always laughed hearing the music playing as people drove / flew by, etc.

Now I did like that!

Hmm...So I take it we're all players then?  How often does everyone play?  Favorite kits?  Servers?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Does anyone still play the other BF's?

382846[/snapback]

Play a 3-4 times a week usually, but I've been reading the republic commando novels and decided to play that again, so not as much BF2.

Like the Sniper and Medic.

Play whicever serve has teh lowest ping and the most people when i log on, but the lag latley is driving me up the wall.

• 6 months later...

I downloaded the free demo a couple days ago, been playing it alot . It is not unlike the other BF games, tactics and teamwork still a must, but the graphics and gameplay seem fresh, along with the new weapons, vehicles and rank structure now. I like it, even though i got burned out on the BF games a couple years ago, I am buying mine tonight for sure, maybe someone else out there might like it too. I can youtube some gameplay if anyone wants it, or just go to youtube and search it, lots of clips up the last 2 days. Very addicting so far, the demo is free, 1 Gig large though, took me an hour to download, but worth it for sure.

I played the demo for about an hour yesterday, and so far I'm not impressed. I was having serious lag issues on several servers, making the already clunky infantry movement seem like a slide show. I also had problems with my "crouch" command unbinding itself, no matter how many times I rebound it (the game also advised me that the key I wanted to use was already bound...bound to the crouch command. wtf? ) The Titan gameplay mode is interesting, but it's essentially the same as the "space" levels in Star Wars Battlefront. I'll reserve judgement until I have some more time in-game, but for now I'm leaning back towards BF2.

I like it, but IMO the sniper class is totally useless, unless you're a "lone wolf" who doesn't care about winning, doesn't have a life, or doesn't like having fun...

The game is just too fast-paced for a sniper class.

I end up just using the engineer class since the SMG is very effective, and I feel totally naked without some sort of anti-take weapon (despite it being almost completely ineffective because of low damage and long reload).

There are some serious balance issues involved with defending the titan control panels... a few guys can completely make a meat grinder out of the hallways that lead to the panels since there's no other way to get to them, and you don't get any grenades until you unlock them. It's really horrific.

Not to mention it takes WAAAAY too many hits to destroy the stupid panels and reactor. I almost can't see any reason to actually shoot the reactor, since it takes about 20 hits from a rocket launcher (it's just as slow as waiting for the missles).

The walkers are fun, though... but you have to wait forever to get to use one.

I had the same problem with the crouch key. It seems to work now...

Also, the launch pods are fun :D

Edited by Raptor

I would consider you tailor your sniper toward a Spec Ops from BF2 (Recon in BF2142 = BF2 Sniper + Spec Ops). It might help to use that class as such.

BF2 has always had balancing issues. I imagine they will carry over to BF2142.

Wow, I love sniper class, itis my favorite. As long as you have a good supply guy on your team u can get major kills from the enemies manning those turrets, the range is long and actually get booted time from time for sniping. Snipers are loathed on the servers i have been playing on, they are hard to find and the fast paced game, I end up seeing the opposite team players just forgetting the turrets and doing something else, allowing the air guys to do their thing more often then not. If I die more then 3 or 4 times while playing sniper, i get frustrated, but right now i love the class.

I played the demo for about an hour yesterday, and so far I'm not impressed. I was having serious lag issues on several servers, making the already clunky infantry movement seem like a slide show. I also had problems with my "crouch" command unbinding itself, no matter how many times I rebound it (the game also advised me that the key I wanted to use was already bound...bound to the crouch command. wtf? ) The Titan gameplay mode is interesting, but it's essentially the same as the "space" levels in Star Wars Battlefront. I'll reserve judgement until I have some more time in-game, but for now I'm leaning back towards BF2.

I've played altogther around 6 or so hours over the weekend and although it's taken me a little getting used to (i'm more inclined towards fast paced fpses like Quake and UT) i'm starting to enjoy it. I've run into a number of problems as well and i'm afraid with what i've heard of EA's track record on BF2 these problems will be long in getting fixed or will never get fixed, but here's hoping they get ironed out quickly if anyone's planning to pick it up at Launch. Lag seems to be really hit or miss for me, some servers i get amazing ping, but other servers where the ping should be just as good or better runs like molasses in January. I ran into a similar problem with binding keys, for the life of me my vehicle chase button kept unbinding itself, so i found if you bind something when you're in game you have to disconnect and then reconnect before it will take effect. At least that worked for me. Everytime i would esc. out and rebind it, the button never stuck. I tried to disconnect altogether and try again and that finally seemed to do it. It would probably work just as well if you did it right from the start before you joined any new games. I hope that helps.

The sniper class would be usefull if you had all the unlocks... meaning, the assault rifle and the explosive pack.

Otherwise, I think it's pointless, and I'm primarily a sniper in BF2 (well, that and KICKARSE FIGHTER PILOT).

Also, there's not gonna be fighter planes in BF2142? Lame.

The remote control missles are still too damn hard to use (you can barely even see with the screen in BF2, so it's even worse)... and they need to just make the AT missles Fire and Forget, or at least like the Javelin in America's Army (verticle or direct attack)... otherwise you don't even have enough missles to take down one walker (5 isn't enough... or at least you rarely have time to fire all five, or you miss once, and you can't kill it now).

Tried it tonite...

I'm seeing balancing issues with just the standard weapons. In BF2, the unlocks gave users an alternative to the standard weapons. There were times I preferred an AK over the G3 or a M4/AKS-74U over the G36C...I don't feel this way with 2142. You need to unlock the stabilzer or the guns drift too much.

The standard AT missiles don't do enough damage. I want people to fear AT missiles, not shrug them off.

I like the SMG though.

I'll find other things as I play more.

Tried it tonite...

I'm seeing balancing issues with just the standard weapons. In BF2, the unlocks gave users an alternative to the standard weapons. There were times I preferred an AK over the G3 or a M4/AKS-74U over the G36C...I don't feel this way with 2142. You need to unlock the stabilzer or the guns drift too much.

The standard AT missiles don't do enough damage. I want people to fear AT missiles, not shrug them off.

I like the SMG though.

I'll find other things as I play more.

There's quite alot of kinks that need to be worked and maybe some more balancing issues, but for the most part everything works pretty well IMO or at least close to well enough. There is one thing that really bothers me though. The absolute randomness with how you'll get killed sometimes by somebody from a mile away that isn't carrying a sniper rifle is the one really big turnoff i've had so far. I don't know whether it's just my experience but for every match i've played so far there's been at least one instance of this happening to me. Maybe i'm missing something here?

how do u activate the lunch pods when u are on a vehicle?

I'd probalby make a joke here about the Lunch Pods, :D but in all seriousness if you're in the APC launch pods you have to press the alternate fire button (the default setting is Mouse 2). I think it's the same if you're firing from the Titan as well, but i can't recall.

Edited by Veritas