How Do You Handle Yamato's Floodgates?

feudallordcult

1. Been w/ my gf for almost 2 years.... and she's put up w/ my Macross/TF collection.... haha.... although i've gotten her into collection things she likes... like Trigun Figures... It can get pretty expensive keeping up w/ her... plus she gets in the way of my poker games!!! haha

2. i try to be a completist b/c i like complete lines... BUT i am struggling to find a secure job that can provide funds for all these toys..... i have however cut down on the various lines of toys that i collect.... i have Macross/Robotech stuff, Generations of Optimus Prime, Binaltech/Alternators, Star Wars Unleashed, MR FX Lightsabers, Star Wars Lego, Final Fantasy Figures... plus a bunch of random Transformers boxed up somewhere... but those listed are the ones currently displayed.

3. I moved home after summer last year when i graduated from College.... The rent has been super cheap haha... so i've been puttin in at least $200 a month since September into my collection so i've gotten most everything that i want... But since my Loan Payments are starting to kick in this month, i need to cut down.... i'm gonna be moving out soon too and paying rent again, so my collection will see no new additions for a long while.... except maybe a Zero.....

I'm guessing the girl in your avatar isn't your sister right? :p  :)

372472[/snapback]

Oh.... you are sooooo funny, even if that was my sister she is not.

372477[/snapback]

If that was my sister I'd put her in a mini-dress, heels and put her on the streets. How else are you gonna' keep up with all of the stuff coming out in the next few months...

372574[/snapback]

LOL!!!! :lol::lol::D

I'm divorced, and my X now collects Macross :blink:

Now I'm dating this girl, and she buys stuff for me :lol: (actually that's not too far from the truth :unsure: )(She ordered "against my will" the 0S for me :angry: )Which I had ordered already, and I was looking at it on the screen when she came over.

I'm getting worried, she is always trying to buy everything I look at. Which other than flattering is starting to look, and feel psycho... Currently, I don't give her my opinion on things, because I know she is just ready to buy anything I say I like.

Ufff, I just had to let that out. I love been single for the moment. I really don't want a serious relatioship. I have to much stuff to do, and I like complete control over my life.

Ok, ok, back to the subject. Yes I'm a completetist(1/48-1/55re-1/60). Whenever I can, I get a double. Sometimes 4 of a kind (CF), or 6 of a kind (GBP), or 13 of a kind (FP/strike). I'm missing the evil 1/48 Max 1A, and the Q-Rau Max(not really a fan). I'm selling most of my other stuff on Ebay. There is no longer a point to have something that replaces my Macross fetish. So, other than the TF alts, and some SW ships everything else goes to Ebay. Sometimes I think I have too much stuff. I have a huge 1/48 display along my wall, and girls don't seem to mind it....?? I would think they would say I'm a child minded geek, or whatever, but they don't. Sometimes, on porpuse I take one of my 1/48 and transform it in from of them, but they just ask questions about what Macross is. I don't get it. I guess if you try to hide it, then you look like a geek?

God, I'm going on tangents tonight.

In conclusion, I love Macross and I can't seem to stop buying this stuff. I feel proud of my collection already, and I seem to be hungry for more. I do freelance work in my house, and it pretty much finances my habit. When I started my habit, I mean hobby, I used to charge everything to my credit cards. Then I soon realized that was a terrible mistake, so that's out of the question now. Guys, do what you like, but be careful not to get your priorities mixed up. I'm lucky to have such collection, but in reality our dreams in life are the ones we must complete. A life completist is what I want to be. Everything else will come along once this is realized.

Everyone must have a dream. Never stop dreaming MW!

I'm just gonna' have to let the flood waters run. I'm gettin' old, so I'm starting to get health issues that need to be taken care of. Also, I'm realizing that my cars are worth more to me and need attention as well, so I'll just have to look back on the glory days when all that mattered was getting the latest Valkyrie...

Edited by myk

1) Married. Finance it by controlling my spending on other items. I only collect Gundam - Seed and Wing and some Zeta in HCM, CR, MG and PG, and 1/48s and soon to be 1/60 VF-0.

2) Yes I am a completetist. I have one of each and I can say I have most issues as well. But stopping with the issues due to Yamato recent rereleasing. It's getting too crazy.

3) Hmm, I think I need to start raiding Kensei inventory :lol::ph34r: Kidding!! Yamato has been recently rereleasing the Valks, but since I stop getting each issue it will not affect me as bad as I got most of them in the past few years. Plus I am limiting the amount of each one I am getting now. Plus luckily Bandai have not been making any MG or PG kits I want lately. If you have just started collecting it will hit a big hole in your wallet. But if you started since they started making the 1/48s, it's not as bad.

1) Married. Finance it by controlling my spending on other items. I only collect Gundam - Seed and Wing and some Zeta in HCM, CR, MG and PG, and 1/48s and soon to be 1/60 VF-0.

Controlled spending? That still seems pretty expensive to me! :lol:

1. married with three kids. my wife don't like me to continue with this expensive hobby, but collecting is my passion. she still don't know the actual prices of my toys yet. i always ask for a new sticker price from the hobby shop, price lowered, and stick them to the boxes hehe. a $140 figure would be $50 in the new sticker price hehe.

my main collection is japanese diecast super robots (from SOC bandai, Aoshima, Max Factory,..), now i'm starting with macross VFs.

2. i recently bought the 1/48 1S hikaru reissue, this is my very first macross figure. well initially i planned to get only one definitive macross figure, but i'm really liking the 1S toy. now i plan to get the fastpack, the hikaru 1J and gbp, the focker 1S, and a low viz or stealth too.

i am not a completist, i live in the philippines, our money is so devaluated here. toys are very expensive. i just try to collect the main robot(s) in a series.

3. how do i sustain the collection? well my wife and i have a good set up in our finances. we both work, i pay for the bills and the kids' education and stuff, what is left is for me, and the wifey buys her stuff from her salary. and it is always smart to save and be prudent with ur expenses.

Controlled spending? That still seems pretty expensive to me! :lol:

373024[/snapback]

Hehe could be worse :p:lol: HCM aren't that pricy, CR while only 3 out so far :) MG & PG I only buy Wing and Seed no Zeta. But actually what I mean to say is that let say instead of buying an expensive car, I rather buy one thats as long as reliable is good enough. Like for example buying a Toyota/Honda instead of a BMW/Merc. Think how much you will save there instead and how much more toys you can buy :D

3) Hmm, I think I need to start raiding Kensei inventory :lol:  :ph34r: Kidding!! Yamato has been recently rereleasing the Valks, but since I stop getting each issue it will not affect me as bad as I got most of them in the past few years. Plus I am limiting the amount of each one I am getting now. Plus luckily Bandai have not been making any MG or PG kits I want lately. If you have just started collecting it will hit a big hole in your wallet. But if you started since they started making the 1/48s, it's not as bad.

373022[/snapback]

:o:angry: That's it they are going under lockdown. I'm puttin my valks in safes! :p

feudallordcult, I think your best bet is to save a portion of your earnings specifically for Toys...if you're serious about this whole collection thing. When I got the GBP-1 armor, it was closure...er until the next similar add-on for 1/48 valkyrie comes along.

1) 'got engaged 6 months ago and we're 13 months away from our wedding. i'm able to buy a valkyrie every two months...if not, that money goes to savings...but i'm also trying to complete my perfect grade gundams (including all other 1/60 gundams) and all binaltechs.

2) no a completist ... one of each is fine for me, plus there's no more space in our apartment.

3) just keep an eye out for those specific text blurbs; "limited edition" etc ...

another thing that can help is a freelance job on the side. right now we're saving up for our wedding ... and house is next.

prices of houses in san diego, california are not so nice...sooo...we're thinking about the midwest ... or texas .... damn it.

good luck.

feudalcultlord, just my two cents but if you are serious about collecting you might want to make an honest evaluation of your financial situation and especially your debts.

Going into any debt over toys is one of the stupidiest things you can do in your life. <_< As hard as it sounds live within your means and if that means you cannot purchase all of the new 1/48 or other Macross goodies, so be it, accept it and enjoy what you CAN afford. If you are willing to work a second or third job to fund this hobby that is your decision, but do not LIVE for your collection you know? There are so many other important people and experiences in life than accumulating things.

Worse go worse, you can always purchase them as they reissue them in the future and you KNOW they will do so! Good luck and feel free to pm if you need to discuss more. :)

So this Board has its own shrink. What do you charge for these private sessions? J/K :p:D

Seriously, Fortress_Maximus is right, you should choose carrefully what you buy and when you buy it. Put the money aside that you won't need for "real life". That way you'll enjoy the things you DO buy even more. Isn't the anticipation of getting that big 1/48 half the fun?

1) not married

2) not a completist

3) not able to sustain the spending spree unless I cut back on some other luxury. (like savings for a new game console, not buying dvds, not going to see movies with mates, not eating expensive food, generally being a tight ass in other expenses like the George Costanza character from seinfeld :D etc)

I think of this macross collecting as my phase that I am going through which will soon pass and assume I will get sick of it unless I see new valks made into toy form. (I am not a toy collector overall, just interested in macross and only have a casual interest in gundam. I will only buy the best stuff and have no interest in vintage toys)

I am happy that there is a line in macross zero toys, there are vf1 everywhere, and that maybe one day we might even see a new line of macross plus (crossing fingers) toys. Then I can die happy. :D

For now my focus is going to valks, a few tf alternators, megazone 23, and maybe (if toynami manages to make them) a line of enemy and destroid macross toys. I love transformable mecha and the toys are great works of toy engineering and a part of my childhood. I'm just a big kid at heart.

I believe anything can be affordable if you know how to manage your money well and cut out expenses altogether or at least reduce them. Also shopping around and haggling for a better price can really help. I always ask a shop if they price match and if possible, I try to buy stuff imported over buying locally (due to our crappy treatment here in australia for things like games) if it means I can shave heaps of middleman expenses out of the cost of the item to me.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 months later...

Quite the interesting thread ...

1) Married

2) Longtime Macross fan, and was a casual buyer of cool valkyries every so often, along with Robotech related stuff. Just starting collecting the 1/48 Yamatos, won't try to be a completist - but selective purchases only. Yamato - please reissue the DYRL Max valk!!!

:rolleyes:

3) Budgeting is tight, since my other main hobby is collecting DVD movies. I am still working on a plan to acquire more valks ....

:D:D

1. single

2. i buy what i like only. what i own so far: 1/48 VF-1S roy with fastpack, 1/48 VF-1S hikaru with fastpack, 1/48 VF-1A max(oh yeah), 1/48 VF-1J hikaru with armor, and last but not least VF-1J super stealth. and all of the macross plus valks

3. i just went on a shopping spree this month. i just bought four valks (VF-1A max, 2VF-1S hikaru (i bought one for my friend cuz he didnt have the cash) and VF-1J super stealth). this is how i see it. if you just buy what you really need and save money, then you will have enough cash flow for emergency for things that might pop up in the future that you might need or want.

kyatsu ;)

Edited by kyatsu

1. single

2. i buy what i like only. what i own so far: 1/48 VF-1S roy with fastpack, 1/48 VF-1S hikaru with fastpack, 1/48 VF-1A max(oh yeah), 1/48 VF-1J hikaru with armor, and last but not least VF-1J super stealth. and all of the macross plus valks

3. i just went on a shopping spree this month. i just bought four valks (VF-1A max, 2VF-1S hikaru (i bought one for my friend cuz he didnt have the cash) and VF-1J super stealth).  this is how i see it. if you just buy what you really need and save money, then you will have enough cash flow for emergency for things that might pop up in the future that you might need or want.

kyatsu ;)

401935[/snapback]

Hey Kyatsu - Where'd you get the VF-1A Max? Any chance they might have some more?? I am dying to get one ....

:huh::huh:

bought it from a member here on MW. he noticed that i was looking for a valk 1/48 and asked what i wanted. gave me a very good deal for it. if you post a wanted list on MW, someone may offer you a good deal. i am very happy with the max cuz it's in such a wonderful shape and i think i am done collecting valks for now. you know, 4 valks in one month (not saying i am short of cash, but i think i am happy with what i have). i really dont care for the cannon fodder, so i can wait. and also, with a lot of complaints from macross zero VF-0S, i really rather wait til the improvements. and one more thing, MW sellers are cool. you just have to check the blacklist and SSL to be sure that they are legit too. all three of my purchases were great and i am very happy that i ran across these three sellers. peace, kyatsu :lol:

Hey Kyatsu - Where'd you get the VF-1A Max? Any chance they might have some more?? I am dying to get one ....

401938[/snapback]

bought it from a member here on MW. he noticed that i was looking for a valk 1/48 and asked what i wanted. gave me a very good deal for it. if you post a wanted list on MW, someone may offer you a good deal. i am very happy with the max cuz it's in such a wonderful shape and i think i am done collecting valks for now. you know, 4 valks in one month (not saying i am short of cash, but i think i am happy with what i have). i really dont care for the cannon fodder, so i can wait. and also, with a lot of complaints from macross zero VF-0S, i really rather wait til the improvements. and one more thing, MW sellers are cool. you just have to check the blacklist and SSL to be sure that they are legit too. all three of my purchases were great and i am very happy that i ran across these three sellers. peace, kyatsu :lol:

401938[/snapback]

401941[/snapback]

Thanks for the info man! Appreciate it. Guess I will post on the Wanted list later today .... thanks again mate!

:)

i always checked the for sale site and asked some sellers about their valks. and if you do it often enough (which was not my intention. i did it because i wanted a good price for it.) someone will noticed that and if they have something to sell, they may approach you. that's how i ended up with the max. kyatsu :)

ps

it's no big deal fellow so cal dude. i just want you to know that you dont have to be desperate and buy something in a unreasonable price. ;)

Thanks for the info man! Appreciate it. Guess I will post on the Wanted list later today .... thanks again mate!

401943[/snapback]

Edited by kyatsu

or you can wait. it's been a long while since they last did re-issue max. i have waited patiencely and i just said fart it. kyatsu B))

Well, since Yamato reissued the VF-1A Hikaru, and Roy's fighter a few times already ... I am HOPING that they will do the same for Max!!

:rolleyes:

401945[/snapback]

1) Just got married. Only have the super/strike stealth because she bought it for me yet checks that I do not go overboard on Ebay.

2) I am a hardcore completist when it comes to 1/72 scale models. Made an S-3 Viking from Zero just to add to the display.

Good on ya to the fellow with 70 valks!

3) Can not maintain buying spree in the long term. Missed the Lov Vis because was out of the country and then added to the ebay inflation. May miss the Low Vis 2 to get the Low Vis Armor. Already on pre order at TMP. Being gone saves money, instant I come back: new Yamato and Hasegawa products. Even got an airbrush not beacuse I wanted to modernize but because my local hobbyshop closed and I can not get spray cans.

1. married with two kids, maybe one more on the way.

2. i only buy what i like. which is at least one of everything.

3. i work side jobs for it.  none of my regular pay goes to toys.  any overtime goes to guns/computers/video games.  all side jobs go to Macross/Anime.

372324[/snapback]

What kind of guns do you have or collect? Do you prefre beretta or glock?

How do I handle the floodgates? Simple, I miss out and hope for / buy the reissues :lol:

I had to pass up the 0S for now updating my comp, and Alboin's got a new sword coming out that I need to save for ...

:angry: Darn it, why can;t I like cheap things? Yamato needs to be more considerate to my other addictions.

Edited by Phren

I tried collecting cheap things within my budget, but the local .99 store didn't have anything interesting...

This is a pretty interesting thread. I have just gotten into collecting Macross and I tell you it has been one huge wake up call to the price points. I am an Transformer collector first and well going from lesser price points for huge price points of the yamato stuff has been very hard.

1. Single, pay all my bills first.

2.) Unlike Transformers I will not be an completest for the Macross stuff.

3.) As it was said earlier, I buy what I like.

• 3 weeks later...
3.) As it was said earlier, I buy what I like.

That's the key to surviving the flood waters. With this in mind, I only had to bust for the 'Zero...

I'm a newbie collector, so I only got the Super Stealth. However, I also picked up the reissue VF-1S Hikaru the same month. I plan on getting the GBP armour sometime this month, not sure if I should go original or LV scheme ..... would love the VF-0S as well ... maybe for July.

go with the original. trust me on this. kyatsu ;)

I'm a newbie collector, so I only got the Super Stealth.  However, I also picked up the reissue VF-1S Hikaru the same month.  I plan on getting the GBP armour sometime this month, not sure if I should go original or LV scheme ..... would love the VF-0S as well ... maybe for July.

407706[/snapback]

Not coping very well..... Too many at once... But must have them.

Someone needs to start  a valk rehab clinic. :unsure:

407844[/snapback]

I'll start one... but it'll cost you one 1/48 per session... :D

407845[/snapback]

By George EXO is onto something here! Ahem, at the 1/48 clinic we can cure you of your Valkaholicism! When we are done you won't even have one left! :lol::p Introductory sign up special, we also can help all you JMaholics find a cure too!