Remembering your first valk

BoBe-Patt

My first was an original Jetfire I got one X-mas as a kid (if you can call it a "valkyrie"). I fell in love with Robotech a few years later and picked up a lot of old Revell Robotech and whatever Macross models I could find (had a few of the original smaller Arii ones...), so I guess those were my first real true valks. I can't imagine they looked very pretty, but I loved to do them and I had several. Good thing, too, since I was a clumsy kid ... :lol:

Fast forward several several years, and I got a VF-19A and YF-21 on Ebay for (what seemed like then) an ungodly amount on a fluke (I think I paid $140 for 'em both - shipped from HK). After that, it didn't take me very long to find this site, and soon developed this terrible, bank-account-emptying afliction known as "valkaholism". Now I'm surrounded by the little buggers of all shapes and sizes and can't stop myself from buying more despite the fact I've completely run out of space for them months ago. <_<

Gee, thanks a lot Graham and Shawn. I need a twelve step program all thanks to your little site. I hope you're very pround of yourselves.

:D:D:D

My first ever valk was Yamato's vf-19a, been buying Valks ever since... been broke ever since too :blink:

first valk you say?

mine was an MPC VF-1S, lets just say i THOUGHT it was the best thing ever made. After i got my focker 1/48, all that changed. i hardly ever picked up my MPC because it looks so HIDEOUS compared to the 1/48. i then got the low vis and am awaiting the hikaru 1j w/FP

Way, way, back in something like 1994, possibly 1993 or so, I had my Robotech RPG book from Palladium in class, French class. I was reading it before class began, waiting for the teacher to arrive. A guy I knew, looked over and said, "Hey I have a toy of that!", pointing at a picture of the Macross. A few minutes later and he told me it was just sitting somewhere in his room collecting dust. I imeadiately offered him 15 bucks for it, and he agreed, just like that. The next day he brought a paper bag in with a mis-transformed Matchbox version of the SDF-1. Needless to say, that toy was the most important item I owned up until I got my first 1/48th. I still have that toy, though the Prometheus arm broke off at the rail cannon "shoulder". I need to mail it off to a friend of mine who's good at fixing things like that, it's currently in the care of another friend of mine, who's holding onto it for safe keeping (an arrangement worked up when I moved halfway across the country).

My next Macross toy was a Bandai model of the VF-19S, pretty sweet except for having to remove pieces to transform it.

Then nothing for years until last summer when I picked up the Focker 1S Bandai reissue. My collection's grown quite a bit since then, having grabbed all the reissues (including the two Macross 7 Valks), 3 1/48ths, a Banpresto Strike, and a 1/60 V-1A.

my frist valk was a Takatoku/Matsushiro vf-1j. I put both companies because I really don't know which one it actually is. I'm leaning more towards the Matsushiro because from what I hear, if the landing gear switches are black and the front landing gear is prone to breakage = Matsushiro. but even if it is a Matsushiro, it still doesn't explain why the stripes on my valk are not painted but stickers. It still stands proudly in my collection...though yellowed and tattered...it's one of the few things I brought with me when I immigrated to the US and it will probably be the last thing I sell if I had to sell my collection...which I hope is never. :D

Ever since I saw the Filipino English dub of Macross back in 1985, I really wanted to buy the Valkyrie toys because the way the Valks fight on the show. It also lead me to buy Transformers toys too.

My first Macross toy was a KO 5" Valk, which the feet can't close and the tailfins fold out from the lower legs. It was a VF-1A colored to look like Max's Valk in the TV series. I also bought a KO 6" SDF-1 Macross colored dark blue, the main gun booms in red and the carrier arms in yellow. To transform the Macross to Storm Attacker Mode requires to remove the bow and split it open to form the gun booms. I had some great fun playing with them, including dressing up my Valk as a Zentreadi soldier by using paper and tape to form the uniform.

The first official Macross toy was the Joke Machine Max's VF-1A. My parents couldn't afford/allow me to buy the 1/55s (or even Optimus Prime for that manner), so the Joke Machine was the cheapest they can allow to have. I had lots of fun with it, which is more than my KOs. I was forced to abandon them when I moved to Canada because they couldn't fit in my luggage.

It wasn't until I got back into buying Macross toys when I bought a KO VF-19 Custom in 1997. I would later sell it when I heard the announcement of Yamato's Macross Plus toys. I didn't get the YF-19, but got the YF-21 and VF-11 instead. I would later sell them both when I decided to buy the FAST Pack versions that just came out.

As for the first Yamato VF-1, it's Hikaru's Super VF-1J and it was the last one on the shelf. I was lucky to get one and I liked playing it once I took it out of the box.

I may not have a Bandai 1/55 right now, but I do have Jetfire (the one without the UN Spacy emblem).

My first valk was like Exo's, one of those 1/100 knockoffs with the funky gun. It was purchased by a friend at a gift shop across the street from our school. He bought one for himself, and one for me. Both of ours had broken legs and shoulder hinges within a couple of weeks.

Later, I had many of the Revell Robotech transformable valk models (1 VF-1S, and a couple VF-1J in varying scale) which I built, and several very tiny (maybe 1/144 or 1/200) VF1S-Super/Strike fighter-gerwalk models. I've been trying to ID those little models, as I can't remember exactly who made them.

Later I moved up to a Jetfire, which I still have somewhere.

My first Valks were actually bootlegs. I was going to buy the now defunct Toycom Macross Plus Valks, but Toycom and the HG legal crap was a disaster back in the day? My first Valk was a Joon's VF-1J Hikaru and months later, 2 Super7 Red Basara VF-19's. I always wanted a Jetfire Transformer, but I couldn't afford it a $5-10 a week school allowance.

My fist Valk

Let me see, it was way back in 1985, when I first got my valk. It is not a toy, but i treated it like one. It is a Imai 1/72 scale Vf-1J Millia, complete with metal landing gears and rubber wheels.

I took 3 months painstakingly building it, including the time for me to gather enough funds to buy paint colours.

It turned fabulous, and was pretty durable for a plastic toy, built by the hands of a kid. By the time I am gone to for university, my room was left unattended, and roaches decided to take fancy of the plastic and paint (it was oil based paint-smell irresistable to them). They took one bite, and followed by more (I think they raised 100 generations with my VF-1J alone).

By the time I am back, immediately when I took hold of it, it crumbled like sand... :( Was so depressed that my mom took it out to the rubbish bin for me.

my first valk was a joke machine, the Max J-type, still have it, though its missing armor and an arm. my brother had the JM VF-1S. i love the little guys, beat up as they are, wish bandai would reissue them, but fat chance.

My first Valkyrie was a 1/55 Takatoku VF-1S, from Toys N Joys here in Honolulu, Hawai'i. I scraped together my paper route money and bought it for $37.95. It's long gone, but I have a Bandai re-issue to remind me. :)

my first valk was a jetfire transformer...i actually had two of them! my grandma sent me one for Christmas one year, then another one for Christmas the next year! sadly, i don't have either of them anymore....but now i have a yamato 1/60 VF-1A and a 1/48 VF-1S. I don't care much for the 1/60, but my 1/48 is awesome!

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S was the first valk I've had.

My first Valk was a 1/100 Takatoku VF-1A. I stole it from one of my friends in second grade as retaliation for him stealing the head of one of my Transformers. It didn't have any arms. It wasn't until I saw the cover of the Robotech role-playing game in one of my friend's Marvel comics I realized it wasn't a regular Transformer, and took a few years after that for me to figure out what Robotech was and anime in general.

My first valk was a "Macres" VF-1J. I guess it was (and is) 1/100 scale. I got it around '82 or '83 when I was in Brooklyn NY with my grandfather when we walked by a street vendor with a table full of Japanese toys.

At the time, I never heard of Macross, but I thought the design was the coolest thing invented (I was into planes and Japanense robots, so it was the perfect combination). I played with the thing for years, thinking that it came from a Japanese cartoon called "Macres". :lol:

I still have it in a box with the other valkyries I managed to find over the next 20 years...a few Converters and the Jetfire, which quickly became my favorite collectible.

One of these days, I'll dig out my old "Macres" valk and put it next to my Low Viz for a comparison photo! ;)

I never had Jetfire (though I wanted him desperately) and I never had any of the old Takatoku/Bandai toys. My very first Valk was actually a model and it was a U.S. release, so it was a "veritech" not a Valk. <_< It was a VF-1J released by Revell here in the U.S. It was surely not an original Revell mold, but I'm not sure who released it in Japan...I guess Imai.

axoid.jpg

My first Valk after that was the Yamato 1/72 YF-21 that I got a few years ago.

Edited by Draykov

Wow, seems like most people here had jetfire as their first valks. I'm guessing if jetfire were ever to be reissued, everybody would get one? I know I would. I'd probably just buy two. :p:D:lol:

My first valkyrie was some all brown plastic POS and it only transformed from battroid to fighter. I can still remember the horrible brown paint job that it came with. Shudder......

The first valkyrie I bought myself was a Yamato 1/60 Maximillian Jenius. B)

Like "hikaru",my first valk was this tiny thing made with crappy plastic... i guess it was smaller than 1/100. I got it around 1986. It had a pencil sharpener on the backpack and it had skull one paint scheme. I simply loved it!!! But the quality was so poor that it lasted for like 1 month.

My real first valk was the yamato yf-19 ver2 that i got 2 years ago.

~Tico

Edited by Tico0001

Wow, seems like most people here had jetfire as their first valks. I'm guessing if jetfire were ever to be reissued, everybody would get one? I know I would. I'd probably just buy two. :p:D:lol:

Not me, I couldn't care less about Jetfire. For me, he was always a Valkyrie copy and I was only briefly interested in getting a Jetfire on eBay as a cheap, well-made transforming Valkyrie. Then I got a Bandai reissue.

I don't remember whether I saw any Transformers and Gobots before I ever saw Robotech, but they seemed childish and never appealed to me. (I was 19 years old in 1985. Talking transforming trucks didn't do anything for me, but teenage angst and global destruction were both pretty relevant...)

Now that I'm grown up enough to appreciate childish things, if they ever made an animation-accurate version of Skyfire or whoever it is that actually appears in the show, I'd at least look at it in the store and think it's kind of cool.

My first valk was a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1J that I got was when I would visit my grandparents in Taiwan for the summer...must have been the summer of 82 or 83. I remember getting it from the 4th floor of Far Eastern Department Store in Taichung (I remember drooling over all the die cast Japanese toys they had on display). I still have it on a shelf in my old room at my parent's house in Cali...I'm sure it's all sorts of crazy yellow by now.

My first valk? Well, aside from the usual Jetfire here in the states, my first genuine valk was a Taka VF-1S that I bought from NSJ23. Thanks, man! Then the disease continued and I got all sorts of bad boy valks, but have had to cut back recently because I'm getting married and buying a house! :) (If you have any advice regarding either of those two life changing events, please feel free to let me know.) ;)