1/6 Roy Focker!

VF-1James

Nice!

My only complaint would be the helmet looks a bit off, but I love the uniform, and everything else.

Very nice indeed.

349271[/snapback]

I think the helmet just needs the shield part in the front (will be added), and it will look pretty great. Other than that, I told him the back should be colored black, so we'll see what he does with that. If he doesn't (he should), it's pretty easy to touch up for anyone with a little bit of brush talent (even I could probably get it right). We'll see- I'm still going to have somebody paint mine when I get it, to bring out even more detail in the figure.

Also, I'm not sure on it yet, but I think these figures may have multiple hands... In the early pictures I got, the customizer showed some spare hands he was making for the figure, but I'm not sure if he ended up going that way or not. I hope so, because that would add even more posability to the figure. I keep forgetting to ask him... Oh well, I'll have to see about that.

Edited by VF-1James

The hair and face seem off to me. I like the way the CMS Roy looks as well as the Robotech bust.

This version doesn't look Anime enough. It is almost trying to look real, which is a mistake. A good reference might also be the 12" Gatchaman figures from Medicom.

The rest of it looks really good. Helmet needs some work as stated above.

Edited by hirohawa

The hair and face seem off to me. 

349287[/snapback]

I agree. The hair sculpt doesn't bother me as much as the orange appearance. Also, I think the face looks a little generic and not really identifyable as Roy. Note, my comments are meant to be constructive, since this is supposed to be more than just another Roy sculpt (and the fact that this is an expensive Focker). :)

First of all, I like the face. Secondly, I like the hair too :lol: . You know, I really wasn't sure when I saw those early pictures of the heads before (remember, I posted them a while back). Roy looked kind of ugly, and his painjob was pretty bad. However, this new version looks 100 times better to me. Not only is his skin color right, but the paint has no slop either. And to me, it looks a heckuva lot like the CM's figure, in terms of the sculpt. But I don't really like the way the CM's figure is painted (THAT doesn't feel like Roy to me).

The hair- yeah, it's a bit dark. I'm going to have somebody paint mine though, airbushing details onto the armor, ect., so I'll probably get them to add just a hint more yellow into the hair. Actually though, I don't think his hair being a bit darker looks too bad though. His hair is a bit different as well, and as it's been said, it's more realistic. However, (and this may only go for me) I actually like the departure from anime. There's just so much of it on TV nowadays, I feel like the market is saturated. So for me, this Roy may be a person in Hong Kong's take on the character, but it feels fresh.

It's funny how I keep jumping in to defend this figure... Hey, I paid a lot for this project, what do you expect? Lol, but seriously, it's Roy, and a damn sweet looking figure to boot. When I get him (along with the Hikaru), I'll post my review of them. Anyway, Hikaru should be coming up very shortly here, because he's already been sculpted and everything- Roy's just first, 'cause I think he's cooler :D . Wonder if the guy will make a Max, now that his CM's figure has been released? Only time will tell... I'd love to have a full set of Roy, Hikaru, Max, and maybe even Kakizaki. Damn, they'd look awesome together (already thinking of them in front, with my 1/48 Valks in back- too cool)...

Well, it's neat. But it doesn't really look like Roy to me. The face looks like a G.I. Joe to me. . . and the hair isn't very "Roy-ish" in both color and style in my humble opinion.

Please don't take this as bashing. I think it's cool overall and I'm glad you like it. Hopefully, everyone will keep their criticizm constructive. :)

H

Have to agree. head iisnt anime enough or the hair. But as far as a 1/6 scale figure its a great addition to the collection that ligh on the chest plate is it reflective or is there a battery in the pack to light it up. very nice.

As far as I'm told, the parts will be offered seperately, so if you don't like something, you don't have to get it from this guy. I was working on a more anime version of Roy before- I sent it to the Hong Kong guy, but we didn't end up using it, because it didn't have removable hair. That in mind, I haven't given up on that yet, and hope to redo it to match the line-art from the movie/TV. With the help of some other MWers, it shouldn't be too hard.

And again, the whole "$250" thing was just an estimate. All I really know is that it will cost a lot. It kind of has to, because this was made by such a small shop- and at such a small run, they have to charge a lot just to break even. Unlike a garage project by a fan, there was hired labor involved here, which they have to pay for. But damn, I still think they did a fantastic job on it (the quality is pretty evident from the images). And yes, the chest computer has a light in it, it's not a reflection.

So once the guy starts taking orders for these, I'll let you know. I think the armor, the suit, and the heads will all be sold seperately. You'll have to buy the body yourself from this site:

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/goods/index_good...sbct=37&sbct=79

The Neo Guy body is simply the best body out there- in terms of quality, sculpt, and articulation, it can't be matched. Hot Toys has some pretty good bodies themselves, and so does Medicom, but neither company has a body that's as nice as the Neo Guy. Trust me, when you get it, you'll understand. The tan version of the Neo Guy is a limited edition thing though, so it's probably a good idea to get one sooner than later. They've had them for a while, but they won't be restocking them, as they are not part of the normal line I guess. When they are gone, they are gone- at least, until they decide to reissue them, which won't be anytime soon. Also, this body is hard to get outside of Japan. So if you want to use a deputy service (like Rinkya), that's fine, but ordering from the site itself is probably a better idea.

The body for Hikaru (and Max, should he get made) is the Obitsu slim male body. It's a pretty thin body, but not as thin as the Volks male bodies (not the Neo ones, the regular ones). Because it's less girly than standard Volks male bodies, I went with it. This body is about half the price, and much easier to get (HLJ carries them). If you're not happy with my choices for the bodies, or just want to use what you have at home, that's okay I guess. The only trouble I see with that, is that the heads may not fit, and the suits may not either. I think you should go with what I'm using, because I am using them for a reason (being a 1/6 scale figure enthusiast, I looked around at all the bodies, and settled on these as the best, as well as best suited for the characters). Anyway, my two cents on the bodies... I'll let you guys know how the customizer will charge for the parts, as well as what everything will cost, when I hear from him about that.

Great details on the mechanical portions of the costume, such as the chest plate and backpack! But the rest could use some work.

While the texture on the actual flightsuit is probably more realistic than what we're shown in the animation, it just doesn't look right. The biggest problem is with the shoulder pads, they're way to droopy. I agree with everyone else that the face doesn't right, but that's to be expected when trying to bring a 2D anime face to real life 3 dimensions.

I gotta disagree with the last part Lonewolf. There are plenty of toys out there that get anime face accurately, even on 1/6 scale toys. Even the Toynami busts are closer to Roys face and those seem like they are 1/4 scale (still not close enough though.) The hardest things to get accurate on Mikimoto designs are the hair. Because both sides are mirror images of each other. Whichever side you look at the character the flop goes behind the head. In sculpting these characters, you have to sacrifice one side of the head, usually the right side because in line art they are usually drawn facing to the right. But going from 2D to 3D shouldn't be a problem though if planned out perfectly.

i liked the head you were working on more...would it be possible to send it over to those guys and have them possibly do something with that? or no?

349500[/snapback]

He didn't seem too interested in messing with my version... So I'll probably see if anyone else on Macross World will be willing to. Don't worry, we'll get a more anime head out there for Roy. It may be a joint effort between my head, EXO's ingenuity, and a recaster.

The only problem with that is, you'll have to paint it yourself. Oh well... It's better than no solution. I'm just going to stick with the Hong Kong guy's sculpt for now. I actually like it a lot, but I do agree that it's not anime. It's... Well, what do you call art from Hong Kong? It's distinctive, and I like it, but it's an interpretation of the character. I will get this one for a more realistic feel, and then the one that I was doing before (probably will end up a lot different when it's done, but...) will give me my anime fix. So I'll get two Roys, and two Hikarus. I wonder about Max though... Where's the love for him?

No offense but the whole thing over all (head and costome) looks like poo. I would say it reminds me of those old match box figures but that would be too mean.

Who's that guy who did those custom Isamu and Guld figures? Those look good. This just looks like a generic doll in a $12 barbie space man suit.

No offense but the whole thing over all (head and costome) looks like poo.  I would say it reminds me of those old match box figures but that would be too mean.

Who's that guy who did those custom Isamu and Guld figures?  Those look good.  This just looks like a generic doll in a $12 barbie space man suit.

349743[/snapback]

That would be me. B)):rolleyes:

post-442-1133834924_thumb.jpg

post-442-1133834952_thumb.jpg

post-442-1133835029_thumb.jpg

post-442-1133835049_thumb.jpg

i vote for you to make the heads for thses 1/6 figures.

Who's that guy who did those custom Isamu and Guld figures?  Those look good.  This just looks like a generic doll in a $12 barbie space man suit.

349743[/snapback]

That would be me. B)):rolleyes:

349847[/snapback]

Edited by Macross73

Well, whatever the case, I am going to really enjoy putting this figure on my shelf. It'll give me my 80's sci-fi character fix. I think just as a figure goes, this thing is amazing. But you know? I think it reminds me a bit of some of the water-color art that Macross has. You know, that stuff looks a bit more realistic, and not at all like the regular designs. So in that, I don't feel too bad about the realistic sculpt. Plus, the head will be seperate I'm pretty sure, so you don't have to buy it. As well, an anime Roy sculpt shouldn't be too far down the road.

Edited by VF-1James