How long`s your (toy) honeymoon

Alex

Ok....so after talking to a friend recently it seems i`m not the only one with this problem.

I live in Tokyo so .........on the 30th of september i rushed over to akihabara to check out the newly released SOC Aquarion. The moment i saw it i had to have the kawamori goodness. I ponied over my 20,790 yen and took my lovely aquarion home.

The first six hours proved to me that i was right.......coolest thing EVARRRRR!

I had the same opinion throughout the next day.

And the next day.

And....the next day.

This feeling continued unabated throughout the rest of the next month.

Then came B-Day...........The day it went back in the box.

I`d had the Aqua for no more than one month and i was already getting bored of it to the point that i sometimes forgot all about it.

A friend of mine also referred to it, at the one month point, as the "OLD ONE" in the face of the imminent Heavy Ass Aqua release. A toy not more than a month old!!

I paid 5000 yen for a yf19 and i still can`t get enough of that after more than 7 months. I pay 20,790yen for the SOC AQua and i`m already bored!

So my question is whats the shortest Honeymoon period you`ve had for a toy proportionate to the cost?

EDITED. I put an extra `0` in the price of the SOC. It definitely ain`t that expensive.

Edited by Alex

So my question is whats the shortest Honeymoon period you`ve had for a toy proportionate to the cost?

345187[/snapback]

I buy a lot of stuff off ebay. OK... I don't buy a lot of stuff of ebay but a lot of the stuff I buy is from ebay. The shortest time period was - 2 weeks. Yep.. Been two weeks since I paid and haven't had the desire to touch the item since before I won and I haven't even recieved it yet. I'll probably transform it once just to make sure everything is as described but after that... into a box it goes.

the most expensive short lived honeymoon was getting the sub-frame welded on my camaro the day after I bought it! I still love the car but even with a 327 I've never briken 100mph in the car. The car can do it but I must be getting old when something like "built before seatbelts were required" makes me behave :blink:

oh wait... did anybody mention toynami :rolleyes:

Toynami was more like buyer's remorse.

345187[/snapback]

I buy a lot of stuff off ebay. OK... I don't buy a lot of stuff of ebay but a lot of the stuff I buy is from ebay. The shortest time period was - 2 weeks. Yep.. Been two weeks since I paid and haven't had the desire to touch the item since before I won and I haven't even recieved it yet. I'll probably transform it once just to make sure everything is as described but after that... into a box it goes.

the most expensive short lived honeymoon was getting the sub-frame welded on my camaro the day after I bought it! I still love the car but even with a 327 I've never briken 100mph in the car. The car can do it but I must be getting old when something like "built before seatbelts were required" makes me behave :blink:

oh wait... did anybody mention toynami :rolleyes:

345223[/snapback]

Going back to the original question...

My love for aquarion lasted about an hour. I opened it, saw it and sold it...

In general, I only keep the toys I really like...

SOC Mazinger (gx-01r), Tetsujin28 (did I spell it right?), Maginger girls, Takara MP convoy, etc. Macross (bandai reissues)

Even if my feelings go away, if I see them or play with them, suddenly my love(?) for them comes back...

I've been also collecting some Saint seiya figures. Not sure how I feel about them though. My feeling is that I would slowly drift away from them soon and only keep 2 or 3 figures...

I think regardless of the price I simply have to like the toy...

Edited by question

hmm... well I'd say mine was about 2 hours. And the toys were the toynami valkyries and alphas. I pretty much got bored with the VF-1 mold and the alpha molds that I didn't bother opening up the rest of them.

Uh, I dunno, because although the glammour does wear off somewhat, I always go back to look at the stuff I got.

Whether it be a toy (like my VF-1A Low Vis and Max, the Atelier-Sai BGC Linna, or my Saint Seiya Saint Cloth Myth figures), a replica (Darth Sidious limited edition replica lightsaber), or something I've wanted... I always feel a sense of satisfaction and owning stuff that I really really wanted to get.

I still runaround bashing crap with my Anakin ROTS FX lightsaber.

The only one that I sort of had problems with was my Q-rau toy. I went through so much crap in trying to get one, I gave up. Then my fiancée (now my wife) in secret managed to get me one that didn't get sent to the wrong address, destroyed by chronopost, or have the wrong thing sent in its place.

I was happy though once I did get it. Except the Miria figure looked like butt. A sagging, fat, ugly butt. That hadn't been wiped after diarhea.:p

345187[/snapback]

For me the Transformers Energon is the worst. They looked good inside the packaging, but after taking them out, I lose interest after half an hour.

I've recently started to limit my purchases for Macross, Gundams and Binaltechs only. I'm planning to create a little pedestal centered in a room and that is where I'll showcase an action figure every couple of weeks.

The secret of appreciating action figures is to admire them one at a time. At first my plan was to buy a couple of Ikea glass cases...but our apartment is limited in space...until we get that house...'think I'll stick to a pedestal.

I bought one of the first VF-1J MPC, it really looked good too on one of the ToyFare issues. Then Yamato came out with the 1/48 VF-1A and the rest is history.

I'll probably ignore the rest of the veritechs after the 1/48 GBP comes out.

For me, vintage toys are the worst. I buy them and wish I hadn't...they just weren't made as well as things are now. Except the Gakken Legioss. WHat a classic toy!

Of course, the Toynami Alpha had a honeymoon until it broke enough for me to leave it alone permanently. The Gakkens are much nicer.

I've founnd the Milia Queadluun Rau actually quite nice and I pick it up every couple of days. You can't do much with it which is sad, but it's still very cool.

Of course my newest 1/48 VF-1 is always the one that gets picked up the most...until I get the next one...

For me, vintage toys are the worst.  I buy them and wish I hadn't...they just weren't made as well as things are now. 

345372[/snapback]

see... I prefer collecting "vintage" toys from my childhood. I had almost all the transformers as a kid and now that I am re-aquiring them I remember which ones sucked tremendous donkey genitailia and which ones were actually cool. Believe you me I won't be buying any gobots :lol:

nor rock lords :lol:

still... not counting buyers remorse... I guess any toy that disintigrated while removing it from the packaging lost it's luster pretty damn quick. A friend of mine broke the canopy of his yammie 19a when removing it from the package :blink: . I offered to buy it back from him but he declined and borrowed some super glue. Still a great toy despite hat... as opposed to a 11b with a leg removed in package :huh:

It really depends on the vintage stuff IMO. When I re-acquired a Matchbox SDF-1 like the one from my childhood I loved it, and STILL do. It is and was a great toy. The Gakken 1/35 Legioss were also great toys and still are. i have refrained from going after the transformers from my childhood. I love the scale and diecast of the cars, but they kinda suck as robots.

I really like the newer big Sega Eva figures, they're really pretty cool (but don't stand very well). For the $50 I paid, definitely worth it. The Orguss toys I've bought I've resold because they just feel too brittle. I bought a C-8 or so Takatoku GBP-1S set off Ebay that left me with a little buyers remorse, but I'm not sad I bought them.

I think I hacve buyers remorse moreso than an actual honeymoon after which I no longer want the toy. I still am not very happy with the SOC Mazin girl I bought whose hair paint was chipping out of the box. I reluctantly display it. On the flipside I love the SOC GX-01R and GX-10 that I own.

I've sold so much of what I've owned though. I used to have 2-3 dups of every Yamato toy but am now down to one of each except the 1/60 which I got rid of in favor of the 1/48's.

IMO though, the 2 toys I'd realy dissuade anyone from are they MPC alpha and Yamato VF-11B as they aren't worth the heartache.

Yamato 1/48 are totally worth it to me though (as I only have 2 but am looking to acquire more).

I think the honeymoon and buyers remorse have a lot to do with nostalgia and price.

IMO though, the 2 toys I'd realy dissuade anyone from are they MPC alpha and Yamato VF-11B as they aren't worth the heartache.

345682[/snapback]

Yeh, No kidding, my "honeymoon" with the VF-11B ended in divorce... of his leg from the body! :angry: The QC on that toy was definitely overlooked.

Ya know, the Toynami Alphas were an immediate heartbreak for me. My first one broke in two different places almost immediately. For some reason though, I couldn't stop thinking "I so wish you weren't broken 'cause you could be so cool." So I had it replaced and I really do love the ones I've gotten since (except the broken ones that needed replacing). I think they're pretty decent toys if you get 'em for half price, especially if you're lucky enough to get one of the random few that doesn't exhibit the arched back in fighter mode.

I've also had good luck with my Yammy VF-11B. It's actually my favorite of the Mac7 Yamato toys. I've transformed it far more than the rest and it still looks brand spankin' new. It's even taken a big fall without breaking.

My longest honeymoon has been my Taka SDF-1 though. It was my first pricey purchase and I love the thing and it's been quite a while. Shortest honeymoon? Any Yamato 1/60 valk. I take it, transform it, pose it, put it on display, collect all the screw covers that popped off in transformation and put them in the box, then hope to never touch the things again.

Edited by jenius

Usually no more than a few hours with me. From the moment of knowing about a certain toy/object until finally purchasing it seems like an eternity of want and painful desire. After actually having the toy that passion dies down quickly. In response to the XBOX 360 thread and about how people resorted to violence, muging and other craziness to get consoles in the past, I wonder if these people encountered the same feelings afterward? I'd sure feel dumb if I had been one of them...

I remember dreaming about the Gundam Fix 0013 for the longest time ...about 4 months. When I was in NYC, I finally got it at about $140 USD, but then once I got home, it's pretty much just collecting dust. Yeah it was cool for about a week, but I find models having a longer appeal since you get so "intimate" with it eh?

I seem to have buyer's remorse on almost every six inch figure I buy... I purchased the first two waves of SOTA's Street Fighter figures, and I find that I regret that decision now, because they're not as cool as I wish they were (the designs are off).

I also am very, very disappointed with Square Enix's Play Arts figures. I bought the Final Fantasy VII Avdent Children line, as well as the Full Metal Alchemist line from them. I was really unhappy at the quality, because two of them broke when I was removing them from the box!!! Now my Alphonse is missing a leg, and Sephiroth has lost his fist hand (digging out the peg after heating up his arm wasn't too much fun either). I still need a Cloud, but I'm really glad I didn't get the Japanese one on Ebay for $200, because I would have been kicking myself for months over that one. Guess I'll pick him up in a few months when he's released state-side, but I'm not overly eager about this upcoming purchase either.

12" figures don't let me down as much, because there is almost never any problem of joints breaking, or paint sticking together. Also, the head sculpts are usually better, and with the larger scale, have more detail in them as well. So I have to keep telling myself that the way to go is 1/6.

I'd say that with the 1/48 Valks, the honeymoon was about two months for me. Oh sure, I still love them, buy them, and transform them sometimes, but those first two months were magical. I still love my VF-IS in the Skull-1 paint scheme, but we don't sleep in the same bed anymore, so to speak. The addition of the fast packs also makes the toy seem that much cooler, so I wonder if the GPB armor will make me hot for my Valks again? We'll see. If not, I may end up having an affair with a few more Binaltech Transformers pretty soon, even though I know they can't really compare to the coolness of my Valks :p .

Edited by VF-1James

Good to hear that i`m not the only one. I`ve already sold my Aquarion.....though that`s only because the Heavy Ass version is coming next year and i don`t really want two of pretty much the same toy.

In the last few months i`ve already sold a miria 1/48, Aquarion, and three binaltechs. I see a toy i really like the look of....spend six hours walking around tokyo mulling over whether i should buy it....then buy it. I can feel the pangs of remorse creeping in no sooner than the money hits that plastic tray.

from now on i`m limiting myself to yammie and bandai valks, the odd orguss or legioss and anything kawamori in general (ecxept AC).

If only the above statement was worth a damn:(

Edited by Alex

Another vote for the Toynami MPC Scott Alpha. I'd say it lasted 10-20 minutes. What a piece of junk. Pieces were falling/breaking off as I took it out of the box. Transformed it a few times and put it back in the box. Sold it on ebay a month later.

The honeymoon for the 1/60 Super O lasted an hour or so. Then I realized how ugly it was.

The 12 inch Guts figure from Berserk was a waste of money too but I still have it.

my vote The toy-ha ha ha -nami MPC - crazy glue required - line

i bought them all excited as any newb. I didn't open just admiribg from afar i got every on of them. anf when it was time to open and display a complete set ... well you know the rest. I had thought they were improvements over the 1/55 bandais Wow. NOPE :angry: The fires of passion no longer burn and though i sold most of mine i still keep some just to look at. A reminder of what could not be :( .