The Xbox 360 Thread!

I've just gotten accustomed to hearing the high pitched whine in my computer. That's what I get for building it myself, I suppose. But who cares, I'm partially deaf anyway...

Hey Hikuro. In NFS what car did you use for the majority of the game? What car did you use towards the end, specifically with Razor? I'm thinking about taking that game on again...

For a long time I used the Toyota Supra, I won it by pink slip from one of the black lists, then I used the Corvette which was another pink slip.

Once I started getting the special upgrades in the back of the gradge I was untouchable.

THEN ya get back your BMW.....and lemme tell you it was like comparing chocolate with crap.....I really missed my Corvette.

Oops...Are you saying that you're supposed to be trying to get those back-garage upgrades? I've been completely ignoring them in the quest for pink slips. Naturally, I've only won about 4 cars, the latest being the Mercedes (I'm only about halfway through story mode).

Damn it...

While we're on the subject---what's the best way to quiet a PC fan? (or is it better to just replace the fan). Every PC I ever get, the fan occasionally gets noisy after a year or two of utter smoothness, but doesn't ever actually DIE, it just rattles more and more often.

While we're on the subject---what's the best way to quiet a PC fan?  (or is it better to just replace the fan).  Every PC I ever get, the fan occasionally gets noisy after a year or two of utter smoothness, but doesn't ever actually DIE, it just rattles more and more often.

363235[/snapback]

Just better to replace it really. Unless it's the power source fan, any other fans should be easy to get to and are, on the whole, cheap to replace (unless you wanna get one of those fans that practically makes your PC sound like a GE-F110 engine powering up... those will set you back a penny or two). Not really worth trying to fix, usually.

Well, they sell fans that specialize in being quiet. Obviously they'll include ball bearings and whatnot, but they're worth the price if noise is an issue. You could try to clean out the fan innards, as dust penetrates these things easily, but it would be easier just to buy another one...

Do you Newegg?

Edited by myk

Well, you know how people complain about PC's being too loud?

I don't. If I'm awake, my main PC is probably on, and I find the comforting quiet hum of the fans sort of... soothing.

I think, at least mine anyway... I think my Xbox is louder than my 360. Especially when you start it up... the bastard's fan sounds like a jet turbine spinning up.

Electronics are like cars. The louder, the better.

Some white-trash kid's four-banger Civic with a fart can on the end is better than the gentle purr of a well-tuned 3000GT?

While we're on the subject, the fan in my computer's power supply has issues (and it's a proprietary deal, so I can't replace it without spending a small fortunte to get the exact same shitty under-powered piece of crap... damn VAIO, I'm definately custom-building my next computer). Sometimes, the fan in it buzzes like a lawn mower (this is usually corrected by shutting down the PC, then rebooting later). I definately prefer the quiet hum to the lawn mower buzz.

Mike...You of all people I would expect to have a custom rig. Proprietary is just so unfair...

Anyway, I enjoy the whine of my system fans also, as I know that my 6800 GT equipped computer can handle just about anything. As for your buzz, I had that on my last PC, and smacking it usually took care of the sound...

Edited by myk

Yup, smacking the case often works to get a fan to "settle down" and quietly hum instead of BUZZ/RATTLE.  Until it doesn't.  (Then it's time to replace)

363580[/snapback]

Mine does that occasionally. CD audio cable keeps falling into the CPU fan.

If you haven't checked, make sure the cables are out of the way.

I've just gotten accustomed to hearing the high pitched whine in my computer.  That's what I get for building it myself, I suppose.  But who cares, I'm partially deaf anyway...

Hey Hikuro.  In NFS what car did you use for the majority of the game?  What car did you use towards the end, specifically with Razor?  I'm thinking about taking that game on again...

363195[/snapback]

sorta like having aviator's ear. can't hear any high pitch sounds.

If aviators are numbed to high pitched sounds, then the military had no reason to disqualify me then...

360's are slowly becoming more available. People at my local Targets have stated that the frequency of shipments and the quantity in those shipments is slowly starting to increase. Considering that there is at least 1, if not 2 new Chinese factories beginning their production of 360's, shortages shouldn't be a problem within the next month or two.

As for the recalls, that's another issue...

Edited by myk

Mike...You of all people I would expect to have a custom rig.

Heh, sorry to dissapoint you, myk. I'm hardcore on console gaming, but I'm not really a PC gamer, so I'd never really thought about building a custom rig. Out of the last four computers I've owned (3 desktop, 1 laptop), in two cases I went to Best Buy, picked a brand, and bought the top of the line (HP desktop, VAIO desktop). In both cases, I wound up burned. The mother board fried on the HP after about a year, prompting me to buy the VAIO. And the VAIO's power supply fan has issues. As for the other two, I bought the absolute cheapest desktop they had at the time, because all my wife wanted was to go on the internet while I was tinkering with the VAIO. And I bought the cheapest VAIO laptop just so I wouldn't be without a computer when I vacation.

If it makes you feel better, I plan on building a new computer after Vista is released. That one will be wholey custom.

If you haven't checked, make sure the cables are out of the way.

It's the power supply fan, not the CPU fan. I don't think any cables are in the way, and I can't figure out how to dissassemble the power supply anyway.

Yup, smacking the case often works to get a fan to "settle down" and quietly hum instead of BUZZ/RATTLE.

I remember those days.

Until it doesn't.

Yeah, now when I hit it, it quiets for a moment, then goes back to buzzing.

(Then it's time to replace)

When I replace the power supply, it'll be with a new computer. Like I said, it's a propriety part. It's crappy. It's underpowered. It's the only one that'll fit, and it's $350. I can buy a better power supply and a new case for less than that.

Asian, as in somewhere else other than China? As far as I know, 360's will be manufactured out of China.

As for disc trays, my first unit's tray actually popped out at one point...

Mike, I didn't mean to generalize. Knowing that you're a professional in the industry I just assumed that you probably had some SLI equipped, liquid nitrogen cooled, Skynet-like computer at your disposal.

OT, but my GBA is the Asian version, and my brother's Dreamcast was the Asian version. It generally only affects packaging and possibly the default language when starting up the first time. Though IIRC Asian Dreamcasts have no modem.

Mike, I didn't mean to generalize. Knowing that you're a professional in the industry I just assumed that you probably had some SLI equipped, liquid nitrogen cooled, Skynet-like computer at your disposal.

Heh heh... next time, myk. ;)

Mmm... liquid nitrogen cooled...

Heh heh... next time, myk. ;)

Mmm... liquid nitrogen cooled...

364642[/snapback]

I'd like one of those too.

I'd settle for somethign like this, though...

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=63

(unfortunately, the suopplied waterblock in that kit comes with a poor clip, and that's believed to be the primary cause of somewhat unimpressive performance)

Well, liquid cooling is just for "show points," right? I don't know. I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable about running liquids in, on or about my 'PC or my 360.

Dreamcast is liquid-cooled. Just water, but water is second only to ammonia for "common/safe liquids that can suck up a lot of heat." And liquid ammonia isn't practical for home use. Sodium and lead are even better, being liquid metal under heat/pressure, but it's really hard to work with them---only a few nuclear reactors use it, with the other 90%+ of reactors using water.

In other words: water is about the best you'll ever see for liquid-cooled things, anything else is probably inferior or very impractical except for high-end military use.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Well, liquid cooling is just for "show points," right?  I don't know.  I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable about running liquids in, on or about my 'PC or my 360.

364705[/snapback]

It depends on what you're doing.

It's also good for getting things quiet, notably.

Anyways, run an electrically neutral substance through your liquid-cooling rig and don't worry about it.

Some people do stuff like immerse their PC components in motor oil. I do not advocate going near this far, and think it's stupid. But most of the off-the-shelf water cooling components assume something with a viscosity of, well, water. So you're limited in your choice of fluids.

Dreamcast is liquid-cooled.  Just water, but water is second only to ammonia for "common/safe liquids that can suck up a lot of heat." And liquid ammonia isn't practical for home use.  Sodium and lead are even better, being liquid metal under heat/pressure, but it's really hard to work with them---only a few nuclear reactors use it, with the other 90%+ of reactors using water.

In other words:  water is about the best you'll ever see for liquid-cooled things, anything else is probably inferior or very impractical except for high-end military use.

364722[/snapback]

Early Dreamcasts are DEBATABLY liquid-cooled. They use heat-pipes to move heat between the base on the components and the heatsink fins. Heatpipe coolers are usually filed as air cooling, though it's a gray area.

Later Dreamcasts got rid of the heatpipe assembly and went with traditional heatsinks with fans on top of them, presumably as a cost-cutting measure(though Sega MAY have had trouble with supply).

This makes 1st-run DCs far quieter, if for no other reason than there's 1 fan instead of 3. They also tend to run cooler, as most of the heat is at the exhaust fan instead of in a case that wasn't designed for the cooling solution in it.

Edited by JB0

Bah...Liquid cooling's for the freaks. 1 card on the GPU, power supply, and about 4 other various fans in the case will be fine like mine, lol...

Bah...Liquid cooling's for the freaks.  1 card on the GPU, power supply, and about 4 other various fans in the case will be fine like mine, lol...

365435[/snapback]

No, freaky would be having your water cooling pipes exit the case, then run through a modified air conditioning unit that will lower the temperature to 33 degrees F before the water pipes run back through the case....

..hmm.

*Begins drawing blueprints*

Freak.... :p

By the way, how's it going with your 360? Are you online much with DOA? What sort of progress are you making in your games? Got any new games lately?

How's work?

argh, I ordered another 360 last week, my distributor was supposed to have it in stock yesterday, but I just checked the website and they moved the instock date back to the 6th. Oh well. at least the camera i ordered is still showing in stock on the 10th, even though it's not supposed to be released in the US until March.

I see this is gradually becoming a 360 thread again! :p

In 360 news, there was some sort of upgrade/patch for the 360 that came out several days ago. I was firing up COD2 and the system had me download and update for the system.

And in COD2 news, there was a patch that came out yesterday designed to fix a glitch or two with single player mode. Apparently some people's game saves were going bad. Also, there is suppose to be more or one updates for multiplayer coming soon - fixes for the lag problems and apparently some more maps and other stuff. :)

System's still working fine after 2-1/2 months of heavy use (lots of COD2 and Halo 2!). After I get COD2 beat on Veteran, I'll finally start spending time on DOA4, RR6, and PDZ. :)

Hey, I have a Reserator 1 (see below). It works great. It keeps my CPU temperatures 10 degrees above ambient temperature and it currently cools my cpu, video card and motherboard. It was easy to set up and I was able to get rid of all my fans except for the power supply fan (which was replaced by a quiet fan). I've had it for six months and have had no problems (even took it apart for the move). It's really quiet and the only thing that bugs me now is the noise of my two Maxtor drives (damn cheap drives). The Seagate I have is much quieter. I'll take a picture of the interior of the case when I get home.

F.

post-1106-1138913665.jpg

Edited by fernarias