Why Macross 7 never release in the US

DrunkenMaster2

I think it is because that anyone who wants to realese m7 has to pay to victor music an awfull lot of money. This made this project economically not possible

337892[/snapback]

Don't forget you have to butt heads with Harmony Gold too.

Does anybody know why Macross 7 hasn't been release in the US?

337889[/snapback]

Because nobody would buy it.

338008[/snapback]

You know, just for that, if it ever does come out, I'm buying it FOR you!

337889[/snapback]

338008[/snapback]

You know, just for that, if it ever does come out, I'm buying it FOR you!

338012[/snapback]

Thats really sweet of you dude! I actually had a gift in mind for you also... Its a big black rubber cock you can stick in your ass.

HAHA, just kiddin man. Seriously though, I spoke with a Tokyo Pop VP about it a few years ago, he said it wouldn't sell because the only people would go for it would be current Robotech/MPlus fans and they would hate it.

Kevin at valkyrie-exchange.com has the FX sets in stock. Kevin is an awesome seller!!! Top notch customer service. I highly recommend him :)

337910[/snapback]

I second that 100%

One of my DVDs in the first FX set was faulty and he sent me an other set of the DVDs no questions asked. Really nice guy too.

But yeah, although I personally like Macross 7, I have to agree with Agent ONE. The only people that would buy it would hate it. Except for the few who already have boots or something.

Kevin at valkyrie-exchange.com has the FX sets in stock. Kevin is an awesome seller!!! Top notch customer service. I highly recommend him :)

337910[/snapback]

One of my DVDs in the first FX set was faulty and he sent me an other set of the DVDs no questions asked. Really nice guy too.

338029[/snapback]

Sorry to but in but, hey wesker, how are the subs on that fx set? any good?

As it is, there already is alot of really crappy anime released here. (is that even gramatically correct?) So why not one more?

I think that not only the macross/robotech people would get it. I think that they would just be a larger portion, but other nerds would buy it as well just because it has giant robots.

I would like to believe that even the M7 bashers on here would buy it if it meant that there might be a chance more macross properties would come over here if it did well. If I was HG, I would promise that just to get the sales up.

Well, all the talk this series gets on MW has made me give M7 a try. Already seen three episodes (from the Central Anime fansubs ) and, even though I already knew of some of the wackier stuff in it (The piloting while singing has to be seen to be believed), it made my mind go WTF? in a funny/weird way… I’m going to watch it all, just need to convince my broh to see it too and the laughs are guaranteed. Who knows, I might end up liking Basara.

Now, if this thing gets released its going to sink like a brick. The animation is too crappy compared to newer stuff (Basara mouth is scary while singing); the initial hook to watch it is Macross and it’s very different to the original or Plus; and it doesn’t have ninjas (which I guess are the in thing now with kids).

As it is, there already is alot of really crappy anime released here. (is that even gramatically correct?)  So why not one more?

I think that not only the macross/robotech people would get it.  I think that they would just be a larger portion, but other nerds would buy it as well just because it has giant robots.

I would like to believe that even the M7 bashers on here would buy it if it meant that there might be a chance more macross properties would come over here if it did well.  If I was HG, I would promise that just to get the sales up.

338037[/snapback]

But there's no guarentee. Business-wise, M7 would be a big investment (just to cover all the bases and make sure everyone is happy, that means the licensors and the legal folk) and if the return doesn't look big, then why make the effort.

Sountrack licensing issue is only going to last so long, the music isn't getting any newer, the demand for it isn't getting any higher, Victor will knock down that price eventually, and hell, for all we know, they already have.

As for animation quality...have you turned on your TV lately? 7 still far outshines most junk people try to pass off as animation, and hell, it was a lot more consistant than the original series was.

Market...pure paranoia, people will buy it because it's Macross, it has giant robots, it has J-Pop, and robotech fans have nothing else to buy. It'll find its market.

And we're back to square 1 of any Macross product... Harmony Gold.

They blocked VFX2, they blocked the Yamato toys, and they'll block everything else.

Except M7 Trash. They didn't block that, because they got royalties.

Big West blocked that, becaues they don't like the idea of someone with no rights to their work getting paid for it.

They blocked VFX2, they blocked the Yamato toys, and they'll block everything else.

Big West blocked that, becaues they don't like the idea of someone with no rights to their work getting paid for it.

338152[/snapback]

That's where Shadow Force comes into play. If they really did sink so much money in that it's sink or swim, then HG will soon be a non-issue.

Sountrack licensing issue is only going to last so long, the music isn't getting any newer, the demand for it isn't getting any higher, Victor will knock down that price eventually, and hell, for all we know, they already have.

As for animation quality...have you turned on your TV lately? 7 still far outshines most junk people try to pass off as animation, and hell, it was a lot more consistant than the original series was.

Market...pure paranoia, people will buy it because it's Macross, it has giant robots, it has J-Pop, and robotech fans have nothing else to buy. It'll find its market.

338149[/snapback]

While it may not be so in this case, music rights for even songs older than you or I, can cost publishers way too much..it's why many TV DVD sets have changed music or why we may never see DVD versions of shows like The Wonder Years with the music intact.

In most of those cases, it was for music licensed to use in the show by big name bands, and no licensing being done at the time to ensure continual use for release in formats such as DVD.

In the case of 7 we have music specifically made for it, there's no problem with the band involved, it's just Victor Ent being stingy.

Edited by Keith

338149[/snapback]

Usually I use my Awesomeness as justification for making many bold statements, but I don't need to here as my education is in Marketing, I will tell you, NOTHING just finds its market. The brand name "Macross" has a value and a product attached to it in the US. None of it shows through in M7.

338149[/snapback]

Usually I use my Awesomeness as justification for making many bold statements, but I don't need to here as my education is in Marketing, I will tell you, NOTHING just finds its market. The brand name "Macross" has a value and a product attached to it in the US. None of it shows through in M7.

338220[/snapback]

And one of these days you'll have to use that marketting degree to research the fact that just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it wasn't (and can't continue to be) successful. 7 was hugely popular in Japan, was a mass marketting success etc. And if people will continue to buy robotech over here, they'll sure as hell buy 7.

338149[/snapback]

338220[/snapback]

And one of these days you'll have to use that marketting degree to research the fact that just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it wasn't (and can't continue to be) successful. 7 was hugely popular in Japan, was a mass marketting success etc. And if people will continue to buy robotech over here, they'll sure as hell buy 7.

338229[/snapback]

Hey man, I don't like Robotech, but I know they can sell it... Macross won't sell because it can't leverage off of the name. Unless they call it "Salor Moon: Embrace Liberal Pussies" a few will buy it, then 'hate on it' online, (like I am doing now but on a larger scale) then it will sit on the shelves and be a loss to whoever brought it here.

In most of those cases, it was for music licensed to use in the show by  big name bands, and no licensing being done at the time to ensure continual use for release in formats such as DVD.

In the case of 7 we have music specifically made for it, there's no problem with the band involved, it's just Victor Ent being stingy.

338172[/snapback]

Which is exactly the case in this case isn't it?

It never has to do with the bands. Victor being stingy is the same as every other record co. being stingy and overbearing with music rights. Same situation.

Edited by Gaijin

338152[/snapback]

That's where Shadow Force comes into play. If they really did sink so much money in that it's sink or swim, then HG will soon be a non-issue.

338157[/snapback]

We can only hope.

I think if they air M7 on cable it may actually have an audience. Because it is DVD and it cost money for some folks, the only folks that knows Macross are the old robotec/DYRL crowd thats already in their 30s.

I think the new gen kids can accept the singing while battle thing much better, they don't have a Robotech bias.

I've seen the new anime stuff and it is just as corny in some instance to the concept of singing in combat.

Once you see it in length, the music actually much more authentic than the other stuff playing today.

It's really difficult to predict what would succeed and what would fail. I've seen some top-notch, quality stuff just go completely unnoticed, and plenty of terrible crap succeed astoundingly.

Of course, due to the licensing issues, and Macross being buried under Robotech for the most part over here, it's a meaningless thing to debate anyways.

337889[/snapback]

338008[/snapback]

Sure they would. Lots've people've bought the bootlegs already.

338009[/snapback]

Belive me I have that set of bootlegs Also known as fansubs. should have gone with the DVD set though but considering I didn't have a DVD player and strapped for cash I whent for the VHS fansubs.

337889[/snapback]

338008[/snapback]

338009[/snapback]

Yeah dude... Like 16 people on Macross World, thats like TOTAL justification for bringing it to the US! :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

337889[/snapback]

338008[/snapback]

338009[/snapback]

Yeah dude... Like 16 people on Macross World, thats like TOTAL justification for bringing it to the US! :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

338943[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. Even bootleggers have operation costs to cover.

338149[/snapback]

Hey it's a big deal. Even Bandai's Gundam Z domestic NA release forgoes the proper opening and ending themes because they are too cheap to pay royalties to the artists. Last time I checked, there wasn't any great demand for these two obscure 80s tracks.

Edited by ComicKaze

338149[/snapback]

Hey it's a big deal. Even Bandai's Gundam Z domestic NA release forgoes the proper opening and ending themes because they are too cheap to pay royalties to the artists. Last time I checked, there wasn't any great demand for these two obscure 80s tracks.

338951[/snapback]

Yeah that what I heard, about that Gundam Z and the issue on the opening and ending music. They said it's a almost perfect set, they said it would of been perfect if they left everthing as it was meant to be seen!!! Hmm more and more I read this tread it sounds like Macross 7 will never be release and yes I do think there a market for this show, only because it's Macross. No matter if it's good or bad people will still watch.