Why Macross 7 never release in the US

DrunkenMaster2

Considering Macross 7 has been in near constant HK rotation since the R2 DVD's were available for copying (I've counted at least 4 different variations from 3 different HK distributers), and only as of this year has started to dissapear from U.S. HK retailer inventory, I think it's safe to say it's been a pretty popular set.

Zero in turn has had a much shorter HK shelf life.

Does anybody know why Macross 7 hasn't been release in the US?

337889[/snapback]

Because nobody would buy it.

338008[/snapback]

Sure they would. Lots've people've bought the bootlegs already.

338009[/snapback]

Yeah dude... Like 16 people on Macross World, thats like TOTAL justification for bringing it to the US! :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

338943[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. Even bootleggers have operation costs to cover.

338944[/snapback]

They are selling to Japan too. So as far as the US goes, not really part of their market, but they won't say no to a sale either.

Does anybody know why Macross 7 hasn't been release in the US?

337889[/snapback]

Because nobody would buy it.

338008[/snapback]

Sure they would. Lots've people've bought the bootlegs already.

338009[/snapback]

Yeah dude... Like 16 people on Macross World, thats like TOTAL justification for bringing it to the US! :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

338943[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. Even bootleggers have operation costs to cover.

338944[/snapback]

They are selling to Japan too. So as far as the US goes, not really part of their market, but they won't say no to a sale either.

339053[/snapback]

Fair enough. I concede the point.

Sountrack licensing issue is only going to last so long, the music isn't getting any newer, the demand for it isn't getting any higher, Victor will knock down that price eventually, and hell, for all we know, they already have.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Japanese licensors aren't exactly known for being rational.

That and you're forgetting 7 doesn't have one soundtrack licensing issue, it has multiple issues since the show utilises tracks from other Macross shows.

Except M7 Trash. They didn't block that, because they got royalties.

Big West blocked that, becaues they don't like the idea of someone with no rights to their work getting paid for it.

Same with Macross Zero.

Edited by Panon

Except M7 Trash. They didn't block that, because they got royalties.

Big West blocked that, becaues they don't like the idea of someone with no rights to their work getting paid for it.

Same with Macross Zero.

340967[/snapback]

I didn't think there were ever any confirmed attempts at licensing that one.

It was almost certainly passed over precisely because of the HG issue, but...

Uh, it's kind of old news. ADV tried to license it, and Big West balked when ADV got HGs approval.

Uh, it's kind of old news. ADV tried to license it, and Big West balked when ADV got HGs approval.

340979[/snapback]

I never heard it.

I'd heard rumors that Pioneer licensed it. Rumors Pioneer shot down with a statement to the effect of "If we had it, don't you think we'd say something?"

Panon, you may be thinking of the Trash situation, where Tokyopop got approval from HG and BW quashed it due to minor licensing issues (such as BW had the license, HG didn't.)

Panon, you may be thinking of the Trash situation, where Tokyopop got approval from HG and BW quashed it due to minor licensing issues (such as BW had the license, HG didn't.)

340983[/snapback]

Nope.

Mid last year the CEO and guy in charge of licensing for Madman (the top anime releasing company in Australia) let slip at a convention that ADV had approached Big West about licensing Zero. BW told they they'd have to negotiate with Harmony Gold. ADV did so, agreeing to give HG a percentage. When they went back to BW with that, BW pulled the plug.

He must have gotten in trouble for revealing something he wasn't supposed to because it was followed by some furious backpedalling, with Madman's messageboards being purged of any mention of his comments and a Madman rep requesting (unsuccessfully) that it be similiary censored from Animeondvd's forums as well.