TV Ghost - 1/72 model kit

honneamise

Any news?

360020[/snapback]

It´s sitting on my shelf grinning at me while I´m busy with another architectural model. Deadline for this is next Tuesday, so after I got rid of the mess and sanding dust in my workspace, I´ll get to the really important stuff again :D

360029[/snapback]

This is great news. :D

Any news?

360020[/snapback]

It´s sitting on my shelf grinning at me while I´m busy with another architectural model. Deadline for this is next Tuesday, so after I got rid of the mess and sanding dust in my workspace, I´ll get to the really important stuff again :D

360029[/snapback]

So do you seem to be having a huge surge in Architectural projects where you are? We sure are busting out at the seams in Seattle. We are at the point where we have to "turn down" work. (What that really means is we tell the clients that we can't start working on new projects untill the middle of February. Which is true but has the nasty side effect of sending them elsewere.) It's really hard to find people who can do this work to make the crew bigger.

Cobywan I wish it was a surge, but it is more of the opposite.

Here in Cologne there seem to be far too many architects but they are all struggling to get work, all they need is cheap little models for competitions. The big stuff goes to the big, more established workshops here, they really make money - I´m just 2 years in the business now and I still don´t get enough comissions to call this a fulltime job, so I can´t turn down anything at the moment. Maybe these models for the German Museum in Munich will get me a little reputation and more regular work.

In the meantime, I take comissions for planes, ships etc. as well - not well paid but I still like it to work on different subjects. A pity that here in Germany there are not too many people into Mecha modeling, so, before I found MW, the Macross stuff was purely for my own pleasure.

I wish I could work for myself too.  I just don't have the dicipline to run my career myself.  There are some advantages to working for a company.  But there isn't really that much variety.

360396[/snapback]

Discipline is the key and it is sooo hard to keep, there are days when I can´t seem to start- another morning coffee, another 10minutes surfing the internet and - oops, half of the day is waisted. That´s why sometimes I wish I´d work for a company.....

And right now I have to kick my own butt to get off MW and start working on the Ghost! I´ve ordered all types of thrusters from HLJ and I have to decide which ones fit best as the 4 smaller ones on the rear end....

Nah, working for a company means that you just collect paychecks, and that you didn't have the strength or the vision to have an idea, then make it profitable...Obviously, it's not for everyone...

I wish I could work for myself too.  I just don't have the dicipline to run my career myself.  There are some advantages to working for a company.  But there isn't really that much variety.

360396[/snapback]

Discipline is the key and it is sooo hard to keep, there are days when I can´t seem to start- another morning coffee, another 10minutes surfing the internet and - oops, half of the day is waisted. That´s why sometimes I wish I´d work for a company.....

And right now I have to kick my own butt to get off MW and start working on the Ghost! I´ve ordered all types of thrusters from HLJ and I have to decide which ones fit best as the 4 smaller ones on the rear end....

362190[/snapback]

Die cast molds seems to be easymoney in North Rhine Westfalia. The most modelmakers here are specified on rapid prototyping or industrial design models and gauge models. We have alot of work since ...well I work there since may last year. Can't remember when I had a day off since then(Christmas 5 days). And the Projects are never the same so I can't complain about boring jobs. Gosh some times I think wish I would be unemployed for some weeks (bad joke),so I could finish some kits or 1 of many scratch build projects. I also thought of starting my own bussiness,but not without the financial support of Mr.hard € for the machines and tools. Maybe I change the job again after 2~3 years . Hopefully for aviation testbed models :lol:

Nah, working for a company means that you just collect paychecks, and that you didn't have the strength or the vision to have an idea, then make it profitable...Obviously, it's not for everyone...

362208[/snapback]

Was that intended as an insult or am I reading you wrong.

362208[/snapback]

Yeah, but on your own you also have to deal with all the buisiness stuff and marketing yourself and your product. I've known and known of several people who started a company to do what they love, but get so bogged down in the business aspects that they couldn't to the things they started the company for. I work for a huge company and get to do the engineering I want without much of the buisiness stuff getting in the way. There is also the benefit of a good and steady paycheck as you noted, but also great benefits. This is something that cannot be overlooked.

362208[/snapback]

Yeah, but on your own you also have to deal with all the buisiness stuff and marketing yourself and your product. I've known and known of several people who started a company to do what they love, but get so bogged down in the business aspects that they couldn't to the things they started the company for. I work for a huge company and get to do the engineering I want without much of the buisiness stuff getting in the way. There is also the benefit of a good and steady paycheck as you noted, but also great benefits. This is something that cannot be overlooked.

363256[/snapback]

If I could find a huge company doing something that I love I'd be in heaven. Right now I work for a huge company but hate what I do.

It´s great to be just creative but your idea needs get you enough money. Constantly having to worry about money forces you into compromises and in the end may kill creativity and all the fun. A regular paycheck and some spare time on your hands isn´t the worst thing even if the job is not the greatest - there´s always two sides...

Well the ghost is looking more ghostly as work goes on. No overwhelming progress so far as I´m still not 100% sure of some underside curvatures, but I´ve been working on some other parts as well.

This is the "cockpit" complete with slots for the stabiliser fins to fit in and with some panel lines and hatches done.

post-2845-1138276379_thumb.jpg

The big business end

post-2845-1138276431_thumb.jpg

I couldn´t resist adding some of these little round handling thingies to the model - it´s not lineart-conform but, if even cars and personal rucksacks etc. have them I cannot leave them out here! :D

post-2845-1138276855_thumb.jpg

By the way does anyone here know what these things are meant to be? Lifting points for cranes? Or do they lock/unlock the structural parts of the machine for disassembly/parts change? Maybe both? Just wondering ´cause they are used so frequently in the Macross universe they must be more than decorative design features....

Edited by honneamise

By the way does anyone here know what these things are meant to be? Lifting points for cranes? Or do they lock/unlock the structural parts of the machine for disassembly/parts change? Maybe both? Just wondering ´cause they are used so frequently in the Macross universe they must be more than decorative design features....

364388[/snapback]

I believe they are supposed to be RCS thrusters.

if I am not mistaken they are places to hoist the fighter or VF. They are clamps that allow for cranes to hold them up. If you watch The TV show, you will see Super VF-1S being hosited by a crane attacted to the clamps. But then That was my opinion.

Nanashi? I know you know hehehe? Tell us what they are for sure!

if I am not mistaken they are places to hoist the fighter or VF.  They are clamps that allow for cranes to hold them up.  If you watch The TV show, you will see Super VF-1S being hosited by a crane attacted to the clamps.  But then That was my opinion.

Nanashi?  I know you know hehehe?  Tell us what they are for sure!

364404[/snapback]

Ha! You´re completely right Ranger565! I had completely forgotten this scene but the moment I read your post I remembered I had seen this too. Thanks a lot.

The RCS thruster theory might work from the look of it, but the non-flyable things such as destroids or maintenance cars have them too. There´s even a forklifter with one of these thingies, take a look at the Perfect Memory book!

They are dual purpose on Valkyries and spaceborn craft. (vernier/tie-down.) Thier sole purpose for ground/atmosphere based craft are as deck tie downs. IF you look at old aircraft decks you see the exact same shapes and those are used to secure vehicles to the deck.

if I am not mistaken they are places to hoist the fighter or VF.   They are clamps that allow for cranes to hold them up.  If you watch The TV show, you will see Super VF-1S being hosited by a crane attacted to the clamps.  But then That was my opinion.

Nanashi?  I know you know hehehe?  Tell us what they are for sure!

364404[/snapback]

Ha! You´re completely right Ranger565! I had completely forgotten this scene but the moment I read your post I remembered I had seen this too. Thanks a lot.

The RCS thruster theory might work from the look of it, but the non-flyable things such as destroids or maintenance cars have them too. There´s even a forklifter with one of these thingies, take a look at the Perfect Memory book!

364415[/snapback]

Front section. Those ribs inside the "eye" opening are a pain. This is the third attempt to get it right. Glued on plastic strips were too heavy and the glue is always visible at the small size, strips cut from old Star Wars stickers did not stick to the surface.... now I try strips cut from the sticker sheet of an old Tamiya 4WD car, they seem to work.

The eye is from the engine intake of a YF-19 so this is a genuine Macross part! ;)

post-2845-1138373960_thumb.jpg

The set of engines. I finally found matching parts for the 4 little ones, they are from a 1/48 Dougram Hovercraft and then detailed with some Wave option parts. I need to cut them back a bit but otherwise they look spot on.

post-2845-1138374384_thumb.jpg

Edited by honneamise

Front section. Those ribs inside the "eye" opening are a pain. This is the third attempt to get it right. Glued on plastic strips were too heavy and the glue is always visible at the small size, strips cut from old Star Wars stickers did not stick to the surface.... now I try strips cut from the sticker sheet of an old Tamiya 4WD car, they seem to work.

The eye is from the engine intake of a YF-19 so this is a genuine Macross part! ;)

post-2845-1138373960_thumb.jpg

364777[/snapback]

Dude that looks so awesome it's making me a little queasy just lookin' at it.

OMG OMG OMG

Been working on the side intakes/missile bays. A lot of shaping and sanding, especially because both sides have to look symmetrical. The right side is still a little behind so I only took photos of the left.

With covers closed

post-2845-1138994778_thumb.jpg

open covers: actually these are two different insert pieces to choose from. The open option will have four missile heads added.

post-2845-1138994808_thumb.jpg

Guest Bromgrev

The detailing is amazing! Will you be able to retain it all on the castings? I suppose the Ghost will have a lot more parts than the Oberth?

Speaking of the Oberth - where are all the build-ups, you guys? You've had the kits for long enough! ;)

The detailing is amazing! Will you be able to retain it all on the castings? I suppose the Ghost will have a lot more parts than the Oberth?

Speaking of the Oberth - where are all the build-ups, you guys? You've had the kits for long enough!  ;)

366655[/snapback]

Yeah, show me. It´s the model kit that should gather dust on a shelf, not the box! :D

Bromgrev the Ghost will have more parts than the Oberth I think (around 40) . The little details like panel lines etc. will be no problem to cast but those side intakes will be a hell I guess - never thought of this until I saw the finished part.

I think it can be done but the mold will wear out sooner than the others so I will have to replace it more often.