TV Ghost - 1/72 model kit

honneamise

I request a scan of those schematics that you've got drawn!!! They'll go a LONG way for the 3d people amongst us.  B))

342563[/snapback]

Here is a scan, but as you can see my scanner is from the last century and sucks big time. Anyway, it´s completely handdrawn and there are no small details as panel lines etc, just the general outline. Overall lenghth should be 16,7cm in 1/72 but that´s just my guess. If you need a bigger one please PM me!

post-2845-1131353471_thumb.jpg

Today I did the aft half of the fuselage. First I fitted a curved "upper deck" andthen I added some boxes to the underside - these will become the main wheel wells.

post-2845-1131474813_thumb.jpg

side view

post-2845-1131474885_thumb.jpg

The airbrakes will be attached to the recessed areas with the holes - that was a pain to adjust cause it is all curved, even more than can be seen in the picture

post-2845-1131475092_thumb.jpg

Now it is all covered in putty, and what you can´t see :ph34r: , I filled the whole inside of the craft with resin - no warping or breakage from now on!

post-2845-1131475234_thumb.jpg

I couldn´t stand this poor sight so I sanded it all down and now it looks fantastic! I´ll have to take more photos! :D

sweet...what kinda putty is that?

343356[/snapback]

Thor here in Germany this stuff is just called Polyester putty and it is mainly intended for car body repairs. The putty itself is white and you add the red hardener.

We had this discussion before and, as Chad says, this is most probably the same as Bondo. Hardens in about 2-3 minutes, then it is kinda rubbery for 5 minutes, after 10-15 minutes you can sand it (According to the instructions you should use MUCH less hardener than I do (the stuff will then stay almost white, not pink) and then the process takes longer). After some hours it is hard like plastic and it will NEVER shrink! I dropped the use of any other putty because of these advantages. Work is much faster with this stuff and it even the cheapest!

I just got my first poster of the Ghost painting back from the printing service. It is a digital print on heavy paper -160g/m2 with a flat surface. The size is even bigger than the original but it does look just as sharp in the details. The size is somewhat odd - 47X60cm. They chose A2 for width but enlarged the format to fit the exact dimensions of the picture.

Anyone interested in a copy? Price will be 26 EURO plus postage - I know that´s not exactly cheap but quality-wise it´s definitely more like a limited edition art print than a quick colour print at the nearest copy shop!

post-2845-1131527544_thumb.jpg

I just got my first poster of the Ghost painting back from the printing service. It is a digital print on heavy paper -160g/m2 with a flat surface. The size is even bigger than the original but it does look just as sharp in the details. The size is somewhat odd - 47X60cm. They chose A2 for width but enlarged the format to fit the exact dimensions of the picture.

Anyone interested in a copy? Price will be 26 EURO plus postage - I know that´s not exactly cheap but quality-wise it´s definitely more like a limited edition art print than a quick colour print at the nearest copy shop!

343509[/snapback]

Looks great. I'll take one. But it may be a few weeks untill I can pay. (I get paid once a month at the beginning of the month.)

343509[/snapback]

I would suggest you making a new tread on the forsale forum to grow the interest or other people that might not frequent this tread...

343509[/snapback]

I would suggest you making a new tread on the forsale forum to grow the interest or other people that might not frequent this tread...

343751[/snapback]

You´re right 007-vf1, I´ll post it there.

But before I do that, I will have to resize the print dimensions. I showed it to a friend yesterday and he spotted some artifacts <_< on it. When I compared it to the original I found the "artifacts" were actually visible brush-strokes :p - nothing to worry about but I think it is better to have the print the same size as the original - 40x50cm- to make those things less prominent. I´ll order a new test print before I put anything up for sale.

Any updates on the sculpt?

345165[/snapback]

I´ve been into lenghty negotiations to get a big comission so I had no time to go on with the Ghost. Well, after all I didn´t get it so I think I can update this in a few days ! :(<_<:)

In the end I GOT the comission but I have to finish the stuff in 5 days now, don´t know what to think about it. When am I supposed to sleep? :(

There will be no news on the Ghost this week of course and I may need a few days break next week.... but stay tuned :D this WILL be finished!

Hey what's the commission for?

346478[/snapback]

It is an interior model of a display room in the German Museum in Munich. A studio here in Cologne has developed a very sci-fi-ish, amorphous interior design and they wanted me to build a model. The problem was that I cannot produce this inner structure within their time (and monetary) limits. I said the only way to do it in time will be stereolithography, but this is very expensive, so their decision was to go with just 3-D- animation and no model at all.

Then the museum guys insisted on a model and I was back on it. Now I only build the surrounding walls and display areas and the structure will be "lasered" out of a resin block by another company. If I do my job correctly and they do theirs the two models should fit perfectly - they better do ´cause sunday is the deadline and I wont get the stereolithography until friday! Makes me slightly nervous and time is pressing hard, but it is still fun and I may be able to get more comissions from this company in the future.

Hey what's the commission for?

346478[/snapback]

It is an interior model of a display room in the German Museum in Munich. A studio here in Cologne has developed a very sci-fi-ish, amorphous interior design and they wanted me to build a model. The problem was that I cannot produce this inner structure within their time (and monetary) limits. I said the only way to do it in time will be stereolithography, but this is very expensive, so their decision was to go with just 3-D- animation and no model at all.

Then the museum guys insisted on a model and I was back on it. Now I only build the surrounding walls and display areas and the structure will be "lasered" out of a resin block by another company. If I do my job correctly and they do theirs the two models should fit perfectly - they better do ´cause sunday is the deadline and I wont get the stereolithography until friday! Makes me slightly nervous and time is pressing hard, but it is still fun and I may be able to get more comissions from this company in the future.

346820[/snapback]

They won't. It'll be close, but since 3D litho is rough you'll have to do some work to get it into the model. The finishing is gonna drive you crazy! ;) GL!

stereo lith has got to be crazy-expensive for an application like this.  we had an intake manifold for a truck done and it cost around $10K

346895[/snapback]

Well intakes aren't exactly small. ;) It also depends on what the material is too! Soft Resin, Hard Resin, Metal, leve of finish, etc all figure into the price. Hell of a business to get into though! B))

stereo lith has got to be crazy-expensive for an application like this.   we had an intake manifold for a truck done and it cost around $10K

346895[/snapback]

Well intakes aren't exactly small. ;) It also depends on what the material is too! Soft Resin, Hard Resin, Metal, leve of finish, etc all figure into the price. Hell of a business to get into though! B))

347177[/snapback]

A good biz plan and a quarter mil and you too can get in on industrial stereolithography.

I just want to get a little laser cutter is all.

Untill you started dealing with sanding out all the steps.  I'm tellin' ya laser cutting is superior.

347551[/snapback]

For some items and those are 99% flat designs with assemble required. I'll take minor sanding any day. Oh and I have LASER cutter exp. and you'll still be sanding or buffing.

Different techniques, same goal.

Wow that Battlestar looks awesome! When I first saw the design I was kind of let down by the "radiator" look but when I finally had the chance to watch it "in action" it soon grew on me. Now with all those incredibly detailed areas this kit gives a real feel of the size of this craft, the more I look at it the more I even like it over the original Galactica. Great work, cobywan!!

I finished my interior model last sunday as planned but they kept changing parts of the layout so I got it back and had to work on it again. They changed the structure from amorphous bubbles to ribs- I could have built this from plastic sheet but not in the required time so the thing is still made with stereolithography.

Here is a pic of a portion:

post-2845-1133510566_thumb.jpg

While all people were mightily excited when the piece arrived from the company, I must say I consider this technique MUCH to rough to serve as a master for a limited run mecha kit. All the rounded surfaces have those tiny steps -as you mentioned, cobywan! - and smoothing the whole thing out to a model kit pro´s quality standard would take a lot of time.

Even if it was less expensive I´d say I will go on with scratchbuilding things with my own hands for a while...

Edited by honneamise

Hi Guys! Honneamise, I want one Ghost kit for me... what I must to do?

Regards,

Ruben

349699[/snapback]

Hi Ruben, I PMd you, guess Chad will put you on the list anyway!

Now I´m back to work on the Ghost. I´m working on the middle gun tbes right now. Tricky stuff ´cause they must be perfectly in the middle between upper and lower gun, face exactly forward and must look the same right and left side.

I could not imagine how to fit them while building the body so now I had to drill large holes into each side, glue the tubes in and cover it all up in loads of putty. Hope they look OK, I guess I can only be sure AFTER I sanded it all to shape. This is a GREAT opportunity to screw the whole thing up :(

post-2845-1133809249_thumb.jpg

I also built an "interior" for the speed brake just aft of the cockpit, but I´ll fit that one after I´m through with the messy part....

post-2845-1133809444_thumb.jpg