gouf down?

I saw this a few minutes ago. Either they are upgrading things or something or they might be trying to cut off the negative Gundam SEED Destiny post before things get to out of hand. There were a number of them already made. Not to many actual threads but a LOT of post in the threads that were made that were pretty negative about the ending and the series itself.

With them going to be releasing SEED Destiny on dvd soon outside of Japan I doubt they want potential buyers to see these opinions.

Or just maybe there is a problem with the site and server and it has nothing to do with the above.

Nah, I bet it has to do with the negativity. The mods of the old Gundamwatch forums all moved over to the GOUF forums en masse, and they could have given the mods over at Robotech.com a run for their money in terms of censorship and post deletions. But when crap happens, all the deleting in the world won't stop people from talking about it. I imagine it got to be too much for even them to moderate and so they or Bandai themselves pulled the plug.

Mind you, if it was Bandai who did it they brought it on themselves with the terrible way they handled the ending of Seed Destiny :p

Animesuki's forum has to be nasty. I dare not try it out.

Bah, its almost like they opened up that can of worms when they opened the forum as soon as they started to liquidate the US models & figures. Atleast the Zeta DVDs were great. If a series is bad then the worst thing you can do is to try to stop the critism of it. All I want to see is how good, or horrible :lol: , the DVD sales are ;)

Don't forget the obvious staff changes over at Bandai (they lost their customer service guy for one thing). Things don't seem to be going pretty well over there, did you see their GS movie 1 disc. No timestamp, insanely loud menu audio, and the Japanese audio was in mono instead of Stereo. Movie 2 at least had the mono audio issue fixed, but there's been no replacement offered for movie 1.

Animesuki's forum has to be nasty.  I dare not try it out.

333766[/snapback]

They are. AnimeSuki's forums actually need a good amount of moderation. Threads are often repeated and information seems to run rampant over there. For every good thread, there are double or triple the amount of repeat and trolling threads. The user base isn't the brightest spot either. For every good poster (translators, people who pay attention, and more objective in their posting), there's more fanboys (on either end) and more "un-intelligent" (posting nonsense, "in-crowd" posting, less constructive criticism) posters. I've also noticed Seed-Forums is under some heavy moderation, lately. Lots of nonsense going on. The mods over there have really do lots of crowd control. But I can go on and on...

Don't forget the obvious staff changes over at Bandai (they lost their customer service guy for one thing).

Yeh, Jerry Chu was a good guy for the job. Pity he left, but I'm sure he feels better at his new job.

just noticed about Gouf, too.

Meh spells an aattempt to reign in critiques of GSD so as not to affect futures sales of the DVD.

It's either that or the forums just got to crowded with GSD fans that have Shinn-like angst against the series, bandai, fukuda, etc., etc...

AnimeSuki's forums actually need a good amount of moderation. Threads are often repeated and information seems to run rampant over there.

Oh no, repeated topics? The obsession some people have with ONE THREAD FOR A TOPIC AND ONE THREAD ONLY, EVER! is absolutely ridiculous.

GOUF was the worst of the worst in that regard though, it was so overmoderated at times it wasn't even worth bothering with, so I'm not going to miss it a great deal.

AnimeSuki's forums actually need a good amount of moderation. Threads are often repeated and information seems to run rampant over there.

Oh no, repeated topics? The obsession some people have with ONE THREAD FOR A TOPIC AND ONE THREAD ONLY, EVER! is absolutely ridiculous.

GOUF was the worst of the worst in that regard though, it was so overmoderated at times it wasn't even worth bothering with, so I'm not going to miss it a great deal.

333802[/snapback]

The moderators at GOUF sure liked to close stuff, save in the modeling section where the "how do I paint a model..." threads are very common.

EDIT:

BTW, wouldn't it been easier and less cheap looking (if the theory of closing for censorship is right) to just close the Destiny threads? They've had much time to see that people didn't like how things were going so they could have mowed down the "episode 50" threads just when they started (or before, when we started having recap-rama). It shows lack of foresight.

Edited by Twoducks

Bah, its almost like they opened up that can of worms when they opened the forum as soon as they started to liquidate the US models & figures. Atleast the Zeta DVDs were great. If a series is bad then the worst thing you can do is to try to stop the critism of it. All I want to see is how good, or horrible  :lol: , the DVD sales are  ;)

333783[/snapback]

Apparently they are now liquidating the DVDs as well. Last week I saw a truckload of Bandai R1 DVDs on sale for like 6 bucks each - MS Gundam, Wing, G Gundam... pretty much any release that's more than 2 years old are getting the blowout treatment.

Added: the store in question was Fry's.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

I don't know about the Japanese ones, but the Chinese forums are basically up in arms over the ending to Destiny, and, well, the entire series itself. The savaging I've been reading has been pretty harsh, although not altogether unfair. Destiny is going down as the worse Gundam series in history, and personally I agree. First seven to ten episodes kicked ass, but thereafter, it just checked out of Hotel Quality and booked into Hobotown...

I mean, when there are people in the forums who rate G-Saviour HIGHER than Destiny, that's saying something, and it ain't anything flattering for Fukuda either.

I don't know about the Japanese ones, but the Chinese forums are basically up in arms over the ending to Destiny, and, well, the entire series itself. The savaging I've been reading has been pretty harsh, although not altogether unfair. Destiny is going down as the worse Gundam series in history, and personally I agree. First seven to ten episodes kicked ass, but thereafter, it just checked out of Hotel Quality and booked into Hobotown...

I mean, when there are people in the forums who rate G-Saviour HIGHER than Destiny, that's saying something, and it ain't anything flattering for Fukuda either.

333862[/snapback]

Ouch. G-saviour was a steaming pile of crap, worthy only of forgetting. Saying that was better than Destiny is a low blow. Destiny wasn't merely a train wreck, it was a colony drop, but I wouldn't rate it that low.

Don't forget the obvious staff changes over at Bandai (they lost their customer service guy for one thing).
Yeh, Jerry Chu was a good guy for the job. Pity he left, but I'm sure he feels better at his new job.

333796[/snapback]

Actually, Jerry Chu was in charge or marketing, not customer service.

Geez, imagine if GOUF was open when G-Saviour came out (Oh, the humanity...). That pure BS show with its 'live action' & horrible CG animation doesn't even make my list. The movie was in its deathrolls after the first 2 minutes & NOBODY in it was hot either :angry: It was torture. It was so bad only 1 model was ever produced from it. I'm just glad most ppls at GOUF only saw GS & GSD or that site would have never happened in 2001.

333796[/snapback]

Actually, Jerry Chu was in charge or marketing, not customer service.

333871[/snapback]

Sorry, head of marketting. But he still did a good job.

To find the Japanese reaction, I'm gonna brave 2ch's boards. This is gonna take a while to process machine translations.

It's saying that there are always people who have amusing over-the-top knee-jerk reactions, just like how there were Japanese UC fansites that had polls where people were voting the original Gundam SEED "Worst Gundam series ever".

Destiny's a pretty low point, but it ain't that low.

It's saying that there are always people who have amusing over-the-top knee-jerk reactions, just like how there were Japanese UC fansites that had polls where people were voting the original Gundam SEED "Worst Gundam series ever".

Destiny's a pretty low point, but it ain't that low.

333910[/snapback]

You sure Destiny's not quite that low? :D It's getting damn close to the same league if you ask me: no plot worth mentioning, no character growth worth mentioning, and all those damned recycled fight scenes. No real redeeming characteristics. I'd say equal to G-Saviour, but not worse. Nothing can be worse.

Back on topic though, GOUF going down because of Destiny is a pity. GOUF was a decent secondary resource for info on models and MSiA, and even though their inane and occasionally insane "engineering" section sometimes hurts me because I'm laughing too hard (being an aerospace engineering undergrad and reading some of that stuff...oh god, the humanity), overall it really didn't deserve such an ignominous end.

Damn you Fukuda for closing GOUF! (When in doubt, blame Fukuda) :p

jeesh they just closed down Gundamwatch not that long ago. now it is reopened?

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

All the people who worked at GundamWatch migrated to GOUF when GOUF opened. Now that GOUF is closed, they're all gonna go back to GundamWatch...probably.

Funny thing is, the premiere of Destiny's last episode and GOUF's closure also corresponds to the end of the 2005 fiscal year/beginning of the 2006 fiscal year (at least for most people). Guess whe are going to see a restructuring soon since they are now Bandai-Namco.

All the people who worked at GundamWatch migrated to GOUF when GOUF opened. Now that GOUF is closed, they're all gonna go back to GundamWatch...probably.

334008[/snapback]

the way they (Gundamwatch) sounded when they originally shut down wasnt beacuse there was a new bigger site and everyone should go over there, it seemed more like the mods and owners did not have any hope for their site beacuse there was not alot of members and they felt it would be just better to end the site now.

chris

• 2 weeks later...