Shatner Shenanigans

EXO

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...55&obj_id=49595

As part of the 57th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, which air on September 18 on CBS, a lineup of stars and professional singers will face off in what is being described as "an American-Idol-esque contest."

The stars will perform classic TV theme songs throughout the three-hour ceremony. Viewers will be encouraged to vote during the live broadcast, either by text message or via www.cbs.com, with the winning rendition announced at the end of the show.

Of key importance to sci-fi fans, William Shatner will team up with mezzo-soprano von Stade to perform the theme from STAR TREK.

Executive producer Ken Ehrlich told E!, "There are certain television theme songs that are nearly as memorable as the shows connected to them... By jogging memories as well as creating wonderful moments by having them performed on this year's Emmy show, we think we're giving viewers one more reason to tune in and be entertained."

Shatner cracks me up and I'm not even a Trek fan.

326807[/snapback]

I feel the same way; never a Trek fan, but Shatner's pretty cool. He has a great sense of humor. His work on Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Futurama is classic. I laugh my ass off every time.

And an all around helluva guy as well.

I had a friend who succumbed to a brain tumor a few months ago, and before he passed away, Shatner called him personally and spoke to him at length. It was a very cool experience for my late friend.

After that, Shatner jumped about 50 points in my book.

I had a friend who succumbed to a brain tumor a few months ago, and before he passed away, Shatner called him personally and spoke to him at length.  It was a very cool experience for my late friend.

326926[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Can you share more details about this though? That's a great Shatner story. Was it done through any type of "last wish" organization? Or did someone he knew put Shatner in touch with him?

Best,

H

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...55&obj_id=49595
As part of the 57th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, which air on September 18 on CBS, a lineup of stars and professional singers will face off in what is being described as "an American-Idol-esque contest."

The stars will perform classic TV theme songs throughout the three-hour ceremony. Viewers will be encouraged to vote during the live broadcast, either by text message or via www.cbs.com, with the winning rendition announced at the end of the show.

Of key importance to sci-fi fans, William Shatner will team up with mezzo-soprano von Stade to perform the theme from STAR TREK.

Executive producer Ken Ehrlich told E!, "There are certain television theme songs that are nearly as memorable as the shows connected to them... By jogging memories as well as creating wonderful moments by having them performed on this year's Emmy show, we think we're giving viewers one more reason to tune in and be entertained."

326807[/snapback]

LOL, he's probably going to sing the unreleased Lyrics by Gene Roddenberry to Alexander Courage's theme. It's horrible!!!

Beyond the rim of the starlight

My love is wandering in star flight

I know he'll find

In star clustered reaches

Love, sweet love

A starwoman teaches

I know his journey ends never

His Star Trek will go on forever

But tell him while

He wanders his starry sea

Reeeeeeee-member

Remember me

Remember me

Remember meeeee!

CHA CHA CHA!!!

I had a friend who succumbed to a brain tumor a few months ago, and before he passed away, Shatner called him personally and spoke to him at length.  It was a very cool experience for my late friend.

326926[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Can you share more details about this though? That's a great Shatner story. Was it done through any type of "last wish" organization? Or did someone he knew put Shatner in touch with him?

Best,

H

326928[/snapback]

Hey, thanks Brian. No, it didn't happen through any sort of "last wish" organization. It was pretty much a friend of his family, who sent an e-mail to Mr. Shatner through his website. As it turned out, he was near our area at the time, and his assistant called my friend's family to arrange the call. At this point, my friend was nearing the end, and was sleeping most of the time. Mr. Shatner's assistant was very gracious, and arranged for a time that they could do the call.

At the arranged time, right on the dot, the phone rang, and my friend answered, and there was Bill Shatner on the other end. My friend's family asked if they could record the call, and Mr. Shatner said they could. My friend called him Mr. Shatner, and the first thing he said was "Call me Bill".

They then spoke for about 15 minutes. Mr. Shatner complimented my friend about his courage in the face of his illness, and mentioned that he was in his thoughts and prayers. My friend was always very gracious, and thanked Mr. Shatner for his charity work. Mr. Shatner said "Oh no, thank you for your courage, and inspiration" He gave my friend some words of encouragement, told him to keep fighting, and that he would be pulling for him. As I said, they talked for quite a few minutes, and it was very positive and uplifting for my friend.

I've been a fan of the original Star Trek series since I was a kid, and have always been ready to poke a little fun at Shatner for his notorious over acting, and scene stealing. I also thought it was funny about 10 years ago, when all of the sudden, he changed his mind, and started acting like he was "in on the joke" the whole time.

However, idiosyncrasies aside, what he did was very cool, and not for any personal benefit to himself. So, like I said, that day, he jumped about 50 points up the cool meter in my book.

Beyond the rim of the starlight

My love is wandering in star flight

I know he'll find

In star clustered reaches

Love, sweet love

A starwoman teaches

I know his journey ends never

His Star Trek will go on forever

But tell him while

He wanders his starry sea

Reeeeeeee-member

Remember me

Remember me

Remember meeeee!

CHA CHA CHA!!!

326938[/snapback]

Bump for Tenacious D :lol: and thanks for sharing your story Mechamaniac.

That was very cool of Mr. Shatner indeed.

Thanks for sharing your story, Mechamaniac, and my condolences on the passing of you friend.

I'm a long time Trek fan myself and have been a fan of Shatner for some time. That was indeed a very cool thing for him to do. It is great to know that their are some people who do care.

I actually have "Spaced Out: The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner"

It's funny because no matter how cool William Shatner is, he dosn't sing. He just talks.. To a rhythm. :blink:  Leonard Nimoy can sing though. I think he'd do a  better job at the Emmys.

327396[/snapback]

Nimoy: "BILBO BAGGINS!!!"

Love that video

http://spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=1575

• 2 weeks later...
He is also on Boston Legal Tuesdays on ABC

ABC

326910[/snapback]

"Denny Crane, I'm kookoo for Cocoa Puffs...Denny Crane, Trix are for Kids..."

Shatner called him personally and spoke to him at length.

326926[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry the story is far from amusing, but be honest:

Speaking at length? Shatner never shuts up! :lol:

329761[/snapback]

Sure, when there's a camera in his face.

But, this was different. Noone knew about this, there was no press, or publicity, and he didn't have to do it at all.

So did anybody catch the Star Trek theme on the Emmy's yesterday? I didn't see it. Any video clips of it anywhere?

329747[/snapback]

Thankfully, he didn't sing :) He just did the "Space: the final frontier..." intro, and an opera singer sang.

329853[/snapback]

What did the Opera Singer sing? Lyrics or just the melody? Luh-Laa! Lalalalalaaaa!

Luh-LAA! Lalalalaaaa! (lalala lala la) Luh-Luh Le-Luh-Le Le Luh-La Le Luh Luuh La LA LAA LAAA LAAAAA LAAAAAAAA!

Edited by ComicKaze

So did anybody catch the Star Trek theme on the Emmy's yesterday? I didn't see it. Any video clips of it anywhere?

329747[/snapback]

Thankfully, he didn't sing :) He just did the "Space: the final frontier..." intro, and an opera singer sang.

329853[/snapback]

What did the Opera Singer sing? Lyrics or just the melody? Luh-Laa! Lalalalalaaaa!

Luh-LAA! Lalalalaaaa! (lalala lala la) Luh-Luh Le-Luh-Le Le Luh-La Le Luh Luuh La LA LAA LAAA LAAAAA LAAAAAAAA!

329867[/snapback]

Just the melody (unless you consider "Luh-Laa! Lalalalalaaaa!..." to be the lyrics :) ).

LOL, he's probably going to sing the unreleased Lyrics by Gene Roddenberry to Alexander Courage's theme. It's horrible!!!

Beyond the rim of the starlight...

[ED.: I snipped most of the insipid lyrics...]

CHA CHA CHA!!!

326938[/snapback]

"Cha-Cha-Cha"?!? :blink: Now I KNOW that the Snopes.com reason for Roddenberry writing the lyrics had to have been true. They said that he wrote them solely because, as a lyricist, he'd get half the credit and half the royalties for the Star Trek theme, regardless of whether or not the lyrics were ever used. Alexander Courage (the composer) claimes that Roddenberry had pulled some shenanigans on him to create this state of affairs. Because of this (and some rather coldly mercenary statements by Roddenberry about his claim to half the royalties), he refused to work with Roddenberry ever again and left Star Trek under a cloud.

Snopes.com's analysis of the situation