What else do you guys model?

David Hingtgen

Yes, this is a bit similar to the "other obsessions" thread in the Other forum, but hopefully this'll be a bit more "directed" in its scope.

Anyways, I'm guessing most people don't model ONLY Macross, and the vast majority also model planes or Gundams, since valks are planes+mecha. :)

So, what else do you model? Here's what I like:

Ships: Modern US warships, WWII battleships of all nations, WWII US cruisers and destroyers. 1/350 vastly preferred. FULL HULL ONLY. (But I could quickly make a whole fleet of waterline submarines from extra periscopes)

Planes: surprisingly, I don't model planes (any more). Diecast models are now cheap enough and good enough (and SEAMLESS) that I can get a model as good or in most cases better than I can do myself, for 0 hours of work and less money. (Planes suck--gotta fill the seams, and there's simply no F-14 kits in the world with good intake/nose fit, and making a bunch of missiles and gear doors nice and white is simply too much effort) And I am especially fond of airliners, but suck at gloss white........ Prefer 1/72 for warbirds, 1/400 for airliners.

Trains: MODEL trains, not toy trains. HO scale mainly. Calling a model railroad "toy trains" will incite wrath on the scale of someone a YF-21 a veritech. And don't dare mention Lionel, either. :) I like just about everything US, but mainly 30's/40's passenger trains, and 80's/90's freight.

Mecha: a few Gundams, but I pretty much build straight out of the box. I'm also a big fan of chick-mechs. Pink+female+robot=I own it. :)

I also like Zoids a lot, and build straight out of the box. (I panel line everything though). I mainly like Zoids for the mechanics, so big ones are far far better than little ones to me. Goes with trains--gears and pistons and shafts and such are intrguing to watch. (Few machines more complicated and wondrous than a steam locomotive's valve gear--I'm simply amazed they could be designed 100 years ago)

Star Trek: most people have seen my USS Lakota by now, and I am awaiting my Bandai Ent-E. Will see how that goes before I buy their Ent-refit. Have an Excelsior in the box, but will wait to see if Bandai makes one before I build it. Would really like a Bandai Ent-D.

Photo: my almost-complete 1/700 USS Iowa (not wholly accurate, I plan to convert a 1/350 New Jersey someday for a truly accurate Iowa) and some of my 1/400 planes.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I used to build plane kits, but I kind of got tired and just put togeather Gundam kits now. I'm really liking the way Bandai makes their HG kits now, I don't like how the hands aren't articulate but it is a lot more posable than the older ones, especialy with the arms.

I've got...

the MG 20th Annaversary Zeta

an HG 1/100 Aile Strike Gundam

an old style 1/100 Gundam Double X

a 1/144 Gundam MkII Titans

I also have three "frankenstein" kits I put togeather after aquireing several busted up kits from a friend. One is made up of parts salvaged from Wing Gundam, Gundam X, Wing Gundam Zero, a Zeta, and Tallgeese II. Another is made up of Gundam X, Wing Zero Custom, Wing Zero, and Super Valkyrie parts. Finnaly the last one is made up of Wing Gundam, Wing Zero, Wing Zero custom, Gundam X, Epyon, and Zeta parts.

I like to build cars mostly Muscle cars and even then preferably Camaro's and Corvette's. I recently started building WWII planes a couple in 1/72 but i like 1/48 better. I have some tamiya armor to build as well as a motorcycle. and i am waiting on my first macross model i won on ebay. altjough i have a hasegawa vf-1s to build when i get better and also when i get an airbrush. i guess my point is i like to build just about anything. i have done several of the hg gundam wing models but i prefer the mg stuff but i have never painted or detailed them i usaually put them together look at them a bit and then pose them next to my valk collection.

hey druna i would like to see some pics of you "frankenstein" models if possible.

I used to make WW2 dioramas, most focused on German infantry and armor. Haven't touched that stuff in years though. For an assignment in 9th grade I made a diorama of some German soldiers and an AA gun, the next day I came in my teacher was apologizing because he had "broken" the AA gun by playing with it... :lol:

He was a Army Reserve Tank crewman, so he loved that stuff.

For models, it's mostly Gundam with some Macross. I like the MGs but they do seem to take a while to look decent and are annoying to get in any sort of a pose. I used to go with planes and helicopters, I used to have well painted models of a Stuka and a Hind D (that was only like 7 years ago). And there are a few Hasegawas. I got some of the Bandai destroids and I'm looking forward to building those - I've seen way too much of the VF-1s.

hey druna i would like to see some pics of you "frankenstein" models if possible.

Ok here they are...

This one was made from Zero Custom (torso, legs, head, arms, feet, hands, things on the shoulders), Gundam X (shoulders, groin, V-fin), and the Super Valkyrie (the backpack boosters) and I took a ribbon I had and used it as a scarf, tried to give it a knightly look.

If you're wondering what gave me the idea to do this, I was playing Armored Core for awhile...

Edited by Druna Skass

Ok here they are...

This one was made from Zero Custom (torso, legs, head, arms, feet, hands, things on the shoulders), Gundam X (shoulders, groin, V-fin), and the Super Valkyrie (the backpack boosters) and I took a ribbon I had and used it as a scarf, tried to give it a knightly look.

Hmm, didn't attach... :angry:

post-3-1064539510_thumb.jpg

I made this guy out of Gundam X (torso, feet, ankles, half the backpack), Wing Gundam (shoulders, legs, groin, upper arm, skirt armor), Wing Zero (other half of backpack), Tallgeese II (head), and the Zeta (forearms and hands).

If you're going to go off on me for using an MG's parts, remember, when I got the MG Zeta it was already FUBAR.

post-3-1064539852_thumb.jpg

And finnaly the last guy in my hack job collection...

I used Wing Zero (torso, groin), Gundam X (head), Zero Custom (wings), Epyon (skirt, shoulders, V-fin, hands), Zeta (legs).

The head is a diffrent color since the original (Wing Gundam) broke off, I didn't have a Zaku head, so I took the X head and stuck the Epyon V-fin on it. I'll get around to painting it eventualy.

So that's my Carl Macek-esque hack job Gundam collection...

post-3-1064540175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Druna Skass

those models look better in person, trust me

and most of the models he used were mine (Tallgeese III, Wing Zero, Wing Zero Custom, Epyon, HeavyArms Custom, and the MG Zeta were mine) saddly, i broke all of them in some places (HA Custom was just about perfect, but i still gave him away)

at least Druna Skass did a good job cabinalizing those kits

The first scale model I ever did on my own was a 1/72 North American AT-6 / SNJ Texan which I proudly painted by hand while i lived in Mexico city. then I bought a Savoia Marchetty a B-25 Mitchel and a Catalina.

That was over 15 years ago then the model trend died once i moved to the US until I found e-bay and bought a 1/25 MR2 (since I owned that car) and followed by the Aeromax 18 wheeler; both were painted by testor's spray can (first time I ever used them) about the same time I found a Bandai 1/72 VF-1D transformable...the rest is history...

I also collect some Gundam models Start dust memories( 0083 )and Sentinel, I also have the Arcadia and the yamato models and some Start Wars fine molds models...

post-3-1064545204_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

1. Nope, those are 1/400 airliners. It'd take my entire life to BUILD 150 1/200 models, but I can buy 1/400 pretty quick. :) (Jet airliners are my true obsession--other planes rank far below) And I can't chrome-plate American Airlines planes, but some companies can. (Most anybody is impressed by a chrome-plated DC-10 model)

2. Hasegawa 1/200: well, Air Force One (A1, not AF1--trust me) has quite a few mods from your standard late-model 747-200B. I'd have to see the kit. If it's actually an E-4B kit with decals than it should be quite accurate, asides from the IR jammers. If it's a 747-200B w/GE engines, then it's pretty far off. What type of KC-135 are you looking at? I'm a veritable 707 expert, but Aztek is probably the guy you want to ask about KC-135's.

3. Light was good, and my 1/700 Iowa was in the box being dull-coated, so I took another pic: note the helipad markings, and the main guns are at maximum deflection (fore guns pointed aft, aft gun pointed forward) (background stuff is 1/350 Iowa parts)

Edited by David Hingtgen

About the only non-Macross kits I've built were a Hasegawa 1/72 SR-71, a 1/25 KITT (from Knight Rider), which I built for my father's christmas gift last year, and the 3 Mospeada Tread kits (though all 3 Treads were all very half-assed build-ups)

Most of the modeling projects I want to do are of Macross designs, wether they're kits or scratch-builds. But there's some exceptions...

Yukikaze - I can't wait to build my Platz resin kits :)

Gunbuster - I've got some very rare GB resin kits, but I want to recast them first, so I can build copies instead of the originals

Initial D - I've always wanted to build a Hachi-Roku, ever since I first saw the series...

And for some reason, I want to kit-bash a Hachi-Roku Trueno kit into an '87 Chevy Nova... my daily driver until recently, and the most reliable car I've ever owned. Though I know it'd be way more throuble than it'd be worth :p

I seem to have kits of all genres. Even bikes (altho I bought it only because it had a cool shark-mouht marking :rolleyes: ). I have a LOT more aircraft kits than anything else tho.

Suffering from AMS burnout from aircraft modeling, so I've switched to Gundam modeling for awhile.

web-full.jpg

web-close.jpg

Edited by MechaEd

i've build gundam models mostly, i've build other kits like this bandai tekkaman blastor kit...i'm starting on aircrafts now and i'm working on my painting skills.

i have the tendency of playing around with my models too much so i ended up braking them...

MechaEd....is that the 1/100 scale strike gundam?

Yes it is. I might just stop work on it since the MG Strike is coming out and it had much better proportions. Saw the parts breakdown from the latest Dengeki, it'll be much easier to paint too <_<

Dave Hintgen

1. KC-135:

Well...i would prefer to build the TF33 powered versions...big fan CFM model just looks weird to me.

Are there any 1/72 scale 747 kits outthere ?

2. You have 150 1/400 jetliners ?!!! :blink:

Any 737s in that collection...i am a big fan of the classic JT8D versions.

3. Chrome platting ? I have never chrome platted any kits before but aren't those like natural metal finish we see on some fighters ?

Check out the size of this 1/48 C-130 model against the Su-27 behind it.

http://hsfeatures.com/c130hmob_1.htm

Hey!! the RAAF Herc was built by a guy I know here in Sydney Aus. i think that was like his first 1/48 scale areoplane. He went a long way detailing the inside, it's all lit up and even has a UH-1 Iriquios in the cargo compartment as a load.

For more photos and stuff, go here:

http://hsfeatures.com/c130hmob_1.htm

I'm probably up to 165 jetliners now. (Got 4 yesterday--CO DC-10, EA 747, PA 727, F9 A319)

Anyways---737 is by far my least-fave plane. But I of course have several. For the -200 (there are no -100 models, too few liveries to justify the costs of making a mold) I have Frontier final colors (the original Frontier), USAir 1989 scheme, Piedmont final white, Air Florida final, Western Indian-head, Delta widget, and am hoping somebody makes United current and old colors (lowered-stripes variant) and USAir triple-red.

As for 1/72 747's-- http://www.aim72.co.uk/TW-list.htm (they also sell a kit to convert their -300 to a -400)

If you want a KC-135E, best bet by far is to go for the AMT/ERTL kit. There's a LOT of 707/KC-135 differences between the families. To the point that I wrote an illustrated guide for it. :) ::note to self--upload newest version of 707 guide to Aerosite and Airlinebuzz ::

Finally: 1/400 models can be chrome-plated. They can also have silver paint, or actual polished bare metal. My basic rule is:

American Airlines: chrome

Other airlines that have bare metal finishes: not-chrome (whatever it may be)

AA's planes ARE that much more shiny than any other airline that polishes their planes. AA is so good at it, that as they age, they actually get more shiny, for they are better at it than Boeing. (Thus a 5-year old 777 looks better than one just delivered, for AA will have polished it themselves a few times). (MDC and Fokker polish better than Boeing)

A chrome model is *much* shinier than buffed silver paint etc, like you commonly see on model planes. I'll photo some of the different types if you want.

Of course, there's always my two-toned ones, which have subtle panel lines due to alternating polishing/chroming methods. All this for $25 or so. Why spend so many hours making your own 777, when you can get a pre-assembled pre-painted one for that cheap? (Yeah, 1/144 is bigger, but there's no way you'd have room for a lot of them)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Dave

That is quite an impressive collection you got there. What is that small t-tail plane near the Delta MD-11 ? Is it an Fokker F-28 ?

How long it took you to build one of this things ?

I check out the 1/72 747 kit..it seems to use decals for the windshield and windows....i was hoping for clear part like those Airfix kits.

Edited by hellohikaru

Actually that's a not-so-great DC-9-10. But I had to have it because it's Ozark. There's a new DC-9-30 coming out that's just awesome, and I'll be buying LOTS of those.

Anyways---they come like that out of the box. I haven't built any kits of airliners in years. And most of them are Dragon Wings. Gemini Jets, Aeroclassics, and Jet-X make up the rest. While Dragon does make many plastic model kits, they also make pre-assembled, pre-painted diecast airliners--which is what I have. So it takes about 5 secs (insert the gear into the holes), and maybe another 5 secs to put them on the stand.

Two-tone chrome is VERY difficult to photograph, the official page has better ones than I can take---here's the AA 777 that I have--and they look just like this when you buy them, no assembly or painting required.

http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/aa777.htm

I dunno. I've been getting into figure painting alot lately (War Machines, Warhammer 40K, etc.). But mostly 1/12 motorcycles, 1/24 cars (mostly sport and competition), 1/35 military, different kinds of mecha and a little bit of other sci-fi.

I'll start posting pics of my Yamaha TZ 250M when I'm done with it. But that's really about it for me.

I'm big into any sci-fi model that catches my eye. Prefer models with great detail. I tried the gundam and Star Wars models, but those lack customizing ability and are rather simple. Resin models are my favorites. Right now i'm stuck on R/C balsa kits, but I should be back into the swing of things by November. I would love to get my hands on that Cat's Eye ;) I wish there was a website that featured Macross members models and customized toys. Some people here got some great stuff to show off. Ok, I got off topic.....

post-3-1064595259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mechwarrior