Alien vs. Predator Movie Next August

glane21

“Alien vs. Predator” Now in Pre-Production, Filming Set for October

Written 06-16-2003 by ChrisFaile

Last July, 20th Century Fox announced that Paul W.S. Anderson (writer/director of the “Resident Evil” film adaptation) had been chosen to spearhead a cinematic match-up between two cult characters in film history with “Alien vs. Predator.” It’s a battle long-savored by moviegoers and likely to be a tentpole release for the studio.

But, since then, all has been quiet with the project— until now. The film, which follows up on the 1999 videogame featuring the same titular clash and the Dark Horse comic book series, has begun moving into high gear, with sources telling FilmJerk.com that principal photography is now scheduled to begin late October in Prague. These sources follow a scooper giving similar details today at Cinescape. But FilmJerk is the only source to get details on the lead characters as well— or as these characters might be better known, potential cannon fodder.

Of course, some have decried Anderson’s selection for the project, based on the work he did on “Resident Evil.” There are also those who view this as a thinly-veiled attempt to prop up two franchises that dropped significantly at the box office with subsequent entries (particularly “Alien”). Whatever the case may be, this looks to be a smart move by the studio to reinvigorate the two brands in a combined attempt (the last installment of “The Predator” came out in 1990 and “Alien” last graced screens in 1997) and coax each franchise back to the forefront.

This new film will not involve any of the human characters from the films’ previous efforts, instead using entirely new individuals. As reported by several news sources, the story looks to involve human scientists going on an expedition to Antarctica to lure Predator hunters, using Alien eggs as bait. Of course, these plans quickly goes awry and the humans find themselves in the crossfire between two warring alien species.

Among the characters are:

Alexia “Lex” Homer: In her late 20s, Lex is stunning, buff, courageous, and intelligent, as well as the heroine of this film. She is an environmental researcher hired by Weyland Industries to keep everyone on the expedition “alive,” as the head of the company puts it. A tough cookie, with a good sense of humor, she has a history of guts and glory having been the youngest to climb Mount Everest without oxygen tanks. Lex is initially second in command to Max Stafford, but when all hell breaks loose, she must assume full leadership of the remaining crew. She is not only a survivor, but a true warrior as well.

Sebastian Wells: Wells is an American archeologist in his early 30s who is very passionate about his work. Described as “unshaven and rumpled, yet also handsome and charming,” Sebastian joins the team and has an instant chemistry with Lex. His expertise, and fervid beliefs often has him butting heads with his boss, whom he feels has his priorities askew.

Verheiden: A tanned, muscular European, Verheiden is an Egyptologist who is just as much “at home with manual labor as with a text book.” He also has a romantic history with Lex, which ended rather precariously. This is evident when they are reunited on Weyland’s team, and Verheiden notices that Sebastian is his likely rival. The casting agents are looking for someone who speaks with a strong accent.

Charles Weyland: In his early 40s, Weyland is a driven billionaire industrialist with blue eyes and shock of dark black hair, giving him the air of a sportsman or movie star. This zealous, all-knowing patron of science has a secret beneath his virile bravado and cultured manner: He is dying of cancer. He is a man rapidly decaying, with his signature 9-iron golf club really serves as his cane and his cataracts disguised by blue contact lenses. Weyland has no intention of dying without first leaving a legacy for humankind. He finances the expedition, chooses its team members and insists on coming along— no matter what the consequence to his health.

Max Stafford: An “elegant, handsome man of Afro-Caribbean descent,” he is well over 6 feet tall and speaks with a clipped, precise English accent. Max is Charles Weyland’s right arm - a loyal spokesman and ex-soldier whose job is to assemble and lead the expedition team.

Quinn: He is muscular, arrogant and brutish, a leathery skinned Texan who is in charge of the expedition’s drill team. Quinn must face the aliens alone, and ends up narrowly escaping death. According to the character notes, his second confrontation with the enemy doesn’t go nearly as well, it seems.

Miller: A dedicated scientist who looks the part. He wears thick glasses, and his age is undeterminable. He's also a bit clumsy and is self-effacing and awkward around women - something Lex notices firsthand. A chemical engineer, Miller is an integral part of the expedition whose astute observations and knowledge of metallurgy help unlock the mystery behind Weyland’s discovery.

Except for the part of Lex, casting agents are looking to fill out the above castmembers those who are a citizen of the European Union, and who hold a passport to one of these countries.

The four “Alien” films took in more than $260 million in domestic box office combined, not counting ancillaries and DVD/VHS sales; in comparison, the two “Predator” films brought in just over $90 million. Adjusted for current-day inflation, the “Alien” domestic sum rises to $460 million, with the latter two films in the franchise accounting for just over a quarter of that total. Not known at this time is how it affects a rumored fifth film in the “Alien” canon.

The Scorecard

Producer: John Davis

Director/Writer: Paul Anderson

Casting Directors: Donna Isaacson and Christian Kaplan

Start Date: Late October, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so here are the continuity problems I see right off the bat:

1) This is supposedlty set in the near future but the Alien species was never encountered by humans before the first movie (according to the boardroom meeting scene in Aliens)

2) Predators hunt during heatwaves, what the hell would they be doing in Antarctica?

To address your first plot point, as quoted from Corona Coming Attractions:

To read the remaining character profiles, you'll need to check out FilmJerk's article -- but it should be noted that one of the remaining characters described, that of a "driven billionaire industrialist" named Charles Weyland, shares one of the same names as the devious company that owned the Nostromo and colony in ALIEN and ALIENS: Weyland-Yutani. Could Charles Weyland be one of the founders of Weyland-Yutani, and as such did he have knowledge of the Aliens as far back as present day??

So, it could be that the billionaire industrialist helped to found this company, who's ultimate goal was to go out and track down more aliens (could be why what's his name on the Nostromo - the android - was basically ordered to capture and study the alien - to try and bring back more samples for the company...

Edited by fulcy

One other tid bit:

September 20, 2003... "The Magic 8-Ball" (who was 100% right about when we'd see the teaser trailer for RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE) knocked on our door late last night to tell us another scoop. Are you ready to see your first look at Paul Anderson's ALIEN VS. PREDATOR next month?

A teaser trailer for AVP will ship with all prints of ALIEN: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT -- which is now moved up two full days from its original release date of Halloween. ALIEN: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT will now be in theaters on Wednesday, October 29.

1) This is supposedlty set in the near future but the Alien species was never encountered by humans before the first movie (according to the boardroom meeting scene in Aliens)

2) Predators hunt during heatwaves, what the hell would they be doing in Antarctica?

1) Just because humans aren;t aware of Aliens doesn't mean Aliens aren't aquainted with humans. My only problem with the setting... it smells too much to that eps of Enterprise with the Borgs and all. <_<

2) Perhaps... a cold climate Predator? :lol:

OMG, finally this is being made! First it was freddy vs. jason, and now this. Both movies were suppose to come out a while back but now it gets a green light! Can't wait to see this match up! :p:D:lol:

maybe no one survives this movie, hence no one knows what went on.

1) Just because humans aren;t aware of Aliens doesn't mean Aliens aren't aquainted with humans. My only problem with the setting... it smells too much to that eps of Enterprise with the Borgs and all. <_<

2) Perhaps... a cold climate Predator? :lol:

Supposedly the expedition is luring the Predators to Antarctica with Alien eggs. That would mean they know about them. And the Predator's reptilian appearance would lend credibility to them not liking cold weather. They could wear some sort of heated body armor I guess.

Fulcy - Yeah I agree that the Weyland guy is the founder of what becomes Weyland-Yutani corp. But the board members in Aliens who state that the Alien is a "lifeform never encountered in over X hundred charted systems" were from Weyland-Yutani, though. So they should know if old man Weyland had some Alien eggs back in the day. Unless they were pulling a snow-job over on Ripley to get the coordinates of the derelict.

Edited by glane21

Fulcy - Yeah I agree that the Weyland guy is the founder of what becomes Weyland-Yutani corp. But the board members in Aliens who state that the Alien is a "lifeform never encountered in over X hundred charted systems" were from Weyland-Yutani, though. So they should know if old man Weyland had some Alien eggs back in the day. Unless they were pulling a snow-job over on Ripley to get the coordinates of the derelict.

That would fit in with the 'Hey, we really don't want to admit that we sent these people to their deaths, because we knew all along that this species existed, and that we gave the android (god I forget his name) the orders that if he were to find an alien, to try and retrieve it'. Gotta love trying to harvest a species for a bio-weapon (as mentioned by Burke in Aliens).

As far as timeline, again quoted from Corona Coming Attractions...

He did let me know that it takes place in Present Day and has all new characters... so NO Ripley this time. It's like a series of its own, not really a sequel to either the Predator or Alien series. He also said that a portion of it takes place in Antarctica and is underground in the ice caves.

This movie will likely suck beyond human comprehension. I have NO faith in it to entertain, even in a "laughably bad movie" kind of way. Just attaching the name "Paul Anderson" to this project is like the kiss of death. And another thing...how can it take place on present day earth? If there's one thing the existing Alien movies have shown, it's that efforts to contain the Alien menace are doomed to failure, usually at the cost of most of the cast's life. Even the assorted Dark Horse comics got this right. If the Alien somehow came to Earth in the past (will they even bother to explain how? ) then why is the globe not overrun with them?

Sounds pretty darn corny. The only thing I like about the synopsis is the Weyland character. The concept sounds pretty good. Everything else wreaks of corn. In my opinion, Aliens Vs. Predator should take place in space, on some far off planet, mining colory, or space station. Not Earth. Not at first, anyway.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

It would seem to me that they knew of the Alien. Ash was given Special Order 937 to seek and investigate the planet for any life form hostile or otherwise. Then he continues to describe it as the perfect organism...

Ash:

You idiots.  You stll don't realize what you're dealing with.  The Alien is a prefect organism.  Superbly structured, cunning, quintessentially violent.  With your limited capabilities you have no chance against it.

That's just my take on what Ash said. Could be wrong and all... The fact that they were awakened by the distress signal could have been a lie. :huh:

Either way, with Paul Anderson behind the camera I'll probably ignore this from existance like the last 2 films.

Damn... Fulcy said what I meant... I was looking for the quote... lol...

This is great. The only reason why I even own a computer is so I can be in the Aliens Vs. Predator universe. Of course, the big screen realization will probably fail miserably, but it's still something to consider.

This is so exciting that my avatar wet herself.......

Yeah from the sound of things this movie is going to suck so bad. It can't believe the time frame and locale that the film is supposedly going to take place in. Did the writers and producer(if you can call them that) not familiarize themselves with any of the source material? Probably not. Movie franchises are like sports teams. When they die,theydie hard, fast and ugly ( See Oakland Raiders, St loius Rams and Philly eagles for further elucidation) :huh:

Hmm, I think it's one of those games that are better off remaining as a game instead of being turned into movies. I'd rather have it follow a Colonial Marine instead of a Predator, it's much scarier. Game freaks me out when you're running low on ammo and that stupid image intensifer make it hard to see an alien. The minigun is my best friend in that game.

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I'm afraid I have to agree with my bud bsu on this one. Paul Anderson's involvement is not instilling confidence to expect a quality film, especially the way these articles keep pimping Resident Evil as if it were a good film. I liked the first Predator film and love Alien and Aliens. Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2 on the PC are two of my favorite games of all time. I own the original Predator and Aliens comics and have Aliens vs. Predator series (including the Dark Horse Presents prelude comics). I hope as much as the next fanboy of these two classic sci-fi monster franchises that a combo movie would blow my mind.

However, this film seems doomed to failure. None of the characters sound particularly interesting. They are described more as uninspired banal rather than interesting archetypes. The plot is far too "present" to sound like the fiction of Alien and much too been-ther-done-that for the fiction of Predator. The climate makes no sense whatsoever for either of the two alien organisms and placing the alien on a planet should be a total disaster for the humans. I cringe at the plot device that could be used to end the film.

Depending upon how the film is marketted will determine whether or not I see it. If I see one more trailer with Hollywood's flavor-of-the-month in a cat suit as the narrator chimes "She's here to kick alien butt", I'll definitely vomit :)

Edited by Mr March

Hmm, I think it's one of those games that are better off remaining as a game instead of being turned into movies. I'd rather have it follow a Colonial Marine instead of a Predator, it's much scarier.

Amen brother. Amen.

God...who in Hollywood thought up this piece of crap script idea? They've gotta be sucking on the crack pipe daily to come up with something this stupid. Why they would abandon a well thought out Survival Movie idea (Colonial Marines end up on a planet seeded with Aliens so the Predators can have a hunt) in favor of "Lets kill of modern industrialist/Enron kind of guy and an associated group of pathetic morons as well". <_<

If they had stuck with their original script plan that was laid out in the mid-90s (I have it in the premier issue of "cinemascape") this movie would've rocked to no end (basically a female samurai and a predator face off against aliens and a couple of predator-alien hybrids until the USCM shows up and "rocks and rolls").... now I'm worried....

If they had stuck with their original script plan that was laid out in the mid-90s (I have it in the premier issue of "cinemascape") this movie would've rocked to no end (basically a female samurai and a predator face off against aliens and a couple of predator-alien hybrids until the USCM shows up and "rocks and rolls").... now I'm worried....

That sounds more like something worthy of MST'ing.

I gotta say, as a huge Aliens fan...this sounds pretty skinky.

The original Aliens vs. Predator comic series was just right I thought. Why not go with that? Even the Aliens books (which I didn't even like that much) would have made a much better, more "Aliens" feeling movie.

I won't knock it too hard before I have seen it, but from what I have heard so far it ain't going to live up to my expectations.

No, the signal was real. I don't know if the Alien: Director's Cut will restore it, but there was a scene where the Nostromo's crew listens to the beacon.

I have no doubt the signal existed, just that maybe the Weyland Corp already knew of the downed craft and it's cargo...

If my memory seves me, the original "Alien vs. Predator" script was submitted to one of the major studios (Fox?) on September 4th 1991... I remember the date because it was my 18th birthday. :) Capcom's arcade game from 1994 was inspired by this script... the female cyborg you control has ninja attributes. :)

Maybe there is some hope for this movie since Ripley's not in it! :p

Edited by Apollo Leader

I liked the first Predator film and love Alien and Aliens. Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2 on the PC are two of my favorite games of all time. I own the original Predator and Aliens comics and have Aliens vs. Predator series (including the Dark Horse Presents prelude comics).

By any chance you've played the AVP game for the Jaguar?

LOL... perhaps there will be some time travel involved.... with Ripley going back in time to hunt Predators and Aliens. You know how Hollyweed is..... doesn't make sense? Lets put some time travel in it!! B)

By any chance you've played the AVP game for the Jaguar?

Pretty good game... but the Arcade AVP game is the best game to ever carry the name of those franchises.

I remember that game and I played an SNES AVP platform game. Terrible game, I prefer the PC games, I still haven't tried AVP 2, all I have is AVP Gold Edition. Those PC games are funny if you play as the Marine though, it's pure irony that he tends to oversleep and get left behind in the first game. The second one is even more ironic because he is awake and still gets left behind, I'd be shaking my fists at the transport filled with my friends that were able to get away! :lol:

I remember that game and I played an SNES AVP platform game. Terrible game, I prefer the PC games, I still haven't tried AVP 2, all I have is AVP Gold Edition. Those PC games are funny if you play as the Marine though, it's pure irony that he tends to oversleep and get left behind in the first game. The second one is even more ironic because he is awake and still gets left behind, I'd be shaking my fists at the transport filled with my friends that were able to get away! :lol:

I suggest you find yourself a AVP:Arcade game ROM (courtesy of Capcom).... its gold!! It puts all other AVP games to shame!!