Alien vs. Predator Movie Next August

glane21

Right now, we really don't know much at all.

Its like the Catwoman thread. People are basing whether or not the movie will suck on a costume shot.

I think you can tell a great deal from a costume shot. The look of the characters sets the tone of a film. For example, I knew the first Xmen movie wasn't going to be totally stupid when I saw some character shots... If I had seen the characters in their comic-like multicolored spandex I wouldn't have bothered to see the movie... It would have set a tone of lame-ness.

Besides didn't you tell me NOT to see American Splendor... You judged that movie on the sissy name it had, and you had little info beyond that. (Max was right by the way, that movie was fukin lame.)

Bsu - Indeed. I appreciate you taking the time to lay down precisely what you thought. Yeah, I did read the plot, however a lot of times I find myself watching movies anyway to see how it was done, how well it was executed within the confines of that movie.

Jem - Yes many of them were bashing HB's acting ability, but its Catwoman for chrissakes, this isn't supposed to be epic on any level. Eyecandy.

Major - I was kidding. But hey, perhaps that was a window into my deep-seated presuppositions. ;)

As for continuity issues? Har... this coming from Macross fans. :p

As for continuity issues? Har... this coming from Macross fans. :p

Please...let's try to confine that to the ongoing DYRL thread. :lol:

:ph34r:

Continuity debates make baby Jesus cry. :wacko:

Don't get me wrongo, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if this turns out to be a great movie. I went into T3 with very low expectations, and came out impresssed. Sure it wasn't what Cameron would have likely done, but it was a decent sequel on it's own. But at this point AvP is just setting off too many warning buzzers in my head.

I for one am simply expecting these simple things out of this movie, loads of violence, and some more violence, and a little more here and there with blood and people, or aliens, organs flying all around the screen... and of course, the out of nowhere female butt :lol:

I for one am simply expecting these simple things out of this movie, loads of violence, and some more violence, and a little more here and there with blood and people, or aliens, organs flying all around the screen... and of course, the out of nowhere female butt :lol:

If you can overlook the lack of violence, blood of humans and aliens, and organs flying everywhere. Go watch Batman & Robin... I guarantee you are going to see out of nowhere butt close up shots.... now... I just don't guarantee they are all going to be female. :lol:

^^ k'mon now, we should all know that if it's predator or alien related, it's not gonna be too good. After Aliens, everything went STRAIGHT to hell. Aliens 3 was horrible, it tried to recycle parts of Aliens and turned out to be a lil crack baby.

Aliens Resurrection....I hate to say it, but this is a horror/sci/fi movie...I never got scared once. let's recall the moment in Resurrection where the lead soldier guy throws the granade and blows up an escape pop with a Xeonmorph inside...next thing you see is an alien standing right behind him and uses it's long range mouth and snaps right through his skull....that should of been a bit of a scary part.........*looks around* <_< I laughed my ass off.....really hard too the point I got stared at...that whole movie was a JOKE

J

O

K

E

Predator the FIRST film was sweet, carried some good elements, top government military team to rescue hostages goes astray and the team begins to be hunted instead of being the hunters, and one by one each member is getting knocked off by an alien whose of course a hunter.

I sort of didn't feel that presence of the first movie in the sequal...was too 0_o hollywood-ish.

Ooooohhhhhhh well.....

If you can overlook the lack of violence, blood of humans and aliens, and organs flying everywhere. Go watch Batman & Robin... I guarantee you are going to see out of nowhere butt close up shots.... now... I just don't guarantee they are all going to be female. :lol:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! keep that movie away from me!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::p

I don't wanna a scarry horror movie either, last "horror movie" I saw I laughed so much I almost wet my pants <_<

Just like Hikuro I think the Predator sequel wasen't all that good, it's a nice little movie, simply not as good as it should have been.

Alien 3 was really bad, the 4 wasen't too bad but they could have done better. Lets hope they get a good script and get descent actors to play it, add in blood and parts flying around and u could have a 2 hours well spent in a rainy summer day :huh::D

Missed something :p

Edited by NoSuchFile

Continuity debates make baby Jesus cry. :wacko:

Don't get me wrongo, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if this turns out to be a great movie. I went into T3 with very low expectations, and came out impresssed. Sure it wasn't what Cameron would have likely done, but it was a decent sequel on it's own. But at this point AvP is just setting off too many warning buzzers in my head.

The warning buzzers are going off because you are thinking of every other "vs." movie.

the only drive between this movie... is the battle between Aliens and Predators.

Maybe it's my age talking, or maybe I'm too desensitised by video games, but I don't really get worked up about stuff like this anymore. Sure, I can enjoy by a good "shoot 'em up" film, but I'd get much more excited about something with a good story too. The simple prospect of Aliens and Predators opening a can 'o' whoop ass on each other really does nothing for me without some kind of story context. If the two species beating on each other was all the fans wanted to see, then I could probably entertain them with a little AvP puppet show. :D

It's not a sign of age. It's a sign you're developing taste :)

^^ k'mon now, we should all know that if it's predator or alien related, it's not gonna be too good.  After Aliens, everything went STRAIGHT to hell.  Aliens 3 was horrible, it tried to recycle parts of Aliens and turned out to be a lil crack baby.

Aliens Resurrection....I hate to say it, but this is a horror/sci/fi movie...I never got scared once.  let's recall the moment in Resurrection where the lead soldier guy throws the granade and blows up an escape pop with a Xeonmorph inside...next thing you see is an alien standing right behind him and uses it's long range mouth and snaps right through his skull....that should of been a bit of a scary part.........*looks around* <_< I laughed my ass off.....really hard too the point I got stared at...that whole movie was a JOKE

J

O

K

E

Predator the FIRST film was sweet, carried some good elements, top government military team to rescue hostages goes astray and the team begins to be hunted instead of being the hunters, and one by one each member is getting knocked off by an alien whose of course a hunter.

I sort of didn't feel that presence of the first movie in the sequal...was too 0_o hollywood-ish.

Ooooohhhhhhh well.....

actually if you look at alien ressurection as a parady its really funny. Of course cept for the 1st alien no movie has ever managed to trully scare me.

Edited by GobotFool

There's still hope for Alien fans. Ridley Scott recently mentioned the possibility of Alien 5 in an interview. I found this snippet over at DarkHorizons.com:

"Fox and Sigourney Weaver have contacted me, they want to conclude this series with the one who has begun it. [...] But there are not even serious talks. I don't really know what I could do…unless I go back to the questions stated in the first episode. Where does the crashed ship on the planet with this mysterious extra-terrestrial come from ? We could wonder wether massive destruction weapons (which could threaten the Earth) had been used or not. I could be inspired by THE WAR OF THE WORLDS…"

Not earth shaking news, but it's good to know that he's at least considering another Alien film.

There's still hope for Alien fans. Ridley Scott recently mentioned the possibility of Alien 5 in an interview. I found this snippet over at DarkHorizons.com:
"Fox and Sigourney Weaver have contacted me, they want to conclude this series with the one who has begun it. [...] But there are not even serious talks. I don't really know what I could do…unless I go back to the questions stated in the first episode. Where does the crashed ship on the planet with this mysterious extra-terrestrial come from ? We could wonder wether massive destruction weapons (which could threaten the Earth) had been used or not. I could be inspired by THE WAR OF THE WORLDS…"

Not earth shaking news, but it's good to know that he's at least considering another Alien film.

Sounds like he has been reading too many Alien comics... and thats not a bad thing. :lol:

Perhaps this way we could bump Alien 3 and Resurection out of the continuity. :p

I never got into the comics much, I only owned one predator comic and gave that up to a friend for xmas last year.

But I have read some of the books and own 'em too, I personally would like to see Aliens GENOCIDE into a action pack movie.

I know Dark Horse made a comic rendition of it and it SUCKED, it cut off alot of the good stuff.

Incase you never read the book, it has alot of suspense, scary moments, great descriptive action, and not one bit of romance :p infact I think there was a moment in the book between the two leading characters, one being a big corperate hound dog, the other being a female GI, and the corperate guy was making moves on the GI till she just went, "If I had the chance, I'd rather bone an alien instead of you."

It's a real good book, if you haven't read it I suggest looking for it, you can also watch some alien killing alien fun fun fun :D

I never got into the comics much, I only owned one predator comic and gave that up to a friend for xmas last year.

But I have read some of the books and own 'em too, I personally would like to see Aliens GENOCIDE into a action pack movie.

I know Dark Horse made a comic rendition of it and it SUCKED, it cut off alot of the good stuff.

Incase you never read the book, it has alot of suspense, scary moments, great descriptive action, and not one bit of romance :p infact I think there was a moment in the book between the two leading characters, one being a big corperate hound dog, the other being a female GI, and the corperate guy was making moves on the GI till she just went, "If I had the chance, I'd rather bone an alien instead of you."

It's a real good book, if you haven't read it I suggest looking for it, you can also watch some alien killing alien fun fun fun :D

Oh!! Where can I find such gem of story telling?!?!?! :o

Nevermind the storytelling. As long as there are ignorant, bumbling humans that are hopelessly outmatched and destined to be painfully slaughtered I'm game.

Incase you never read the book, it has alot of suspense, scary moments, great descriptive action, and not one bit of romance :p  infact I think there was a moment in the book between the two leading characters, one being a big corperate hound dog, the other being a female GI, and the corperate guy was making moves on the GI till she just went, "If I had the chance, I'd rather bone an alien instead of you."

Oh!! Where can I find such gem of story telling?!?!?! :o

Perhaps from whoever is directing this movie? :rolleyes:

Sounds like he has been reading too many Alien comics... and thats not a bad thing. :lol:

Perhaps this way we could bump Alien 3 and Resurection out of the continuity. :p

Why does this actually sound... like a good Alien movie? For once? How the hell do these other directors/writers get jobs? They just end up pissing on great franchises, showing no respect for the previous works... all while pushing their (rather lame) "artistic" visions.

Is it so hard to understand that we don't want to see good characters killed off for no reason...

That we don't want to watch a bald Weaver for 2 hours...

That we don't want to see a nasty, gooey man/ape/alien hybrid and some dumb mother complex it has with Ripley...

That we want to see a decent movie worthy of the name?

-Al

Why does this actually sound... like a good Alien movie? For once? How the hell do these other directors/writers get jobs? They just end up pissing on great franchises, showing no respect for the previous works... all while pushing their (rather lame) "artistic" visions.

Is it so hard to understand that we don't want to see good characters killed off for no reason...

That we don't want to watch a bald Weaver for 2 hours...

That we don't want to see a nasty, gooey man/ape/alien hybrid and some dumb mother complex it has with Ripley...

That we want to see a decent movie worthy of the name?

-Al

You just don't get it! Hollywood and good ideas are oxymorons. <_<

No no trust me the book is good, I just don't wanna give away alot of the plot, but trust me, it's a NICE plot, something those hollywood goons could NEVER think of, it's good.

As for where to find it : / uuuuuuuh try Ebay or Amazon.com or even your local book store to research a copy. I only read this once back in the 8th grade, and that was from a library downtown and it was rather beaten up, so it had to of been an old story.

But it's neat cause you see one group of aliens, who are Albino looking if I remember right, and than you got these purple ones, and they just nail eachother for all it's worth and the marine squadrons are just watching like 50 feet away just going "Uh........we're over here......" But the Aliens don't go after the Marines, it's like a battle of territory or something....it's very cool to read this story and to know this guy did alot of research of the original stories and added in his own twists.

If I ever found that book again I'd get it, I never skipped one chapter in the novel because it had alot of good points.

SO if anyone finds it and reads it, make sure they tell me what they thought of it, cause it's one of the few books I enjoy.

I'm guessing this movie hasn't even hit production...and most of you are already bashing it.

If you re-read the thread, most of us have been quite clear and lucid about why we are not thrilled about this movie. Would you prefer us to mindlessly post replies like "OMFG, Aliens versus Predator will be the bestest thing ever!!11" Like I said, it will take more than a simple "Punch & Judy" meeting of two franchises to get me into the theater. I'm not excited by the prospect of Paul Anderson directing, and the story and character summaries have been lackluster at best.

I've already left an open challenge on the previous page for AvP defenders to tell us why this movie will "own." You are right on one point; it's really too early to tell what the final product will be. But the initial signs do not point to a blockbuster.

And as I said, anything is possible! Just because Paul Anderson "hasn't directed anything great" doesn't mean that this film won't be great. And I'd rather you all not talk crap about a movie that hasn't even hit production. When the movie comes out, then you can talk all the crap you want.

And as I said, anything is possible! Just because Paul Anderson "hasn't directed anything great" doesn't mean that this film won't be great.

You're far too optimistic, but each to thier own I suppose.

And I'd rather you all not talk crap about a movie that hasn't even hit production. 

Why do you take it so personally? Does it offend you that we don't like this movie?

And as I said, anything is possible!  Just because Paul Anderson "hasn't directed anything great" doesn't mean that this film won't be great.

You're far too optimistic, but each to thier own I suppose.

And I'd rather you all not talk crap about a movie that hasn't even hit production. 

Why do you take it so personally? Does it offend you that we don't like this movie?

I'm actually quite pessimistic. What's wrong about being optimistic now and then? And why would it offend me that you don't like a movie that hasn't even hit production yet? I just think it's dumb of people to bash something that doesn't even exist yet. I seriously doubt the characters and plot are all 'final'...as to where they won't be making any changes to the script and so forth. I mean, have you ever written a paper and not revised it?

Edited by Oihan

I'm actually quite pessimistic.  What's wrong about being optimistic now and then?

When I see or hear something good about this movie, maybe I'll gain some optimism. But for the time being, I see nothing good about this movie.

And why would it offend me that you don't like a movie that hasn't even hit production yet? 

The fact that you said "And I'd rather you all not talk crap about a movie that hasn't even hit production" made it seem you were taking it personally.

I just think it's dumb of people to bash something that doesn't even exist yet.  I seriously doubt the characters and plot are all 'final'...as to where they won't be making any changes to the script and so forth.  I mean, have you ever written a paper and not revised it?

The film itself may not exist, but so far none of us are thrilled with the little information we have on characters and plot. It's true that the script may still see changes, but if they want to have this movie in theaters for next august then they'd better nail it down pretty soon.

Edited by bsu legato

I just think it's dumb of people to bash something that doesn't even exist yet. I seriously doubt the characters and plot are all 'final'...as to where they won't be making any changes to the script and so forth. I mean, have you ever written a paper and not revised it?

Yeah... well, while it might see improvements, theres a big chance that everything might go even deeper down the barrel. <_<

I'm actually quite pessimistic.  What's wrong about being optimistic now and then?

When I see or hear something good about this movie, maybe I'll gain some optimism. But for the time being, I see nothing good about this movie.

Fair enough....

And why would it offend me that you don't like a movie that hasn't even hit production yet? 

The fact that you said "And I'd rather you all not talk crap about a movie that hasn't even hit production" made it seem you were taking it personally.

You yourself asked if I'd prefer everyone tell how great it is.

Would you prefer us to mindlessly post replies like "OMFG, Aliens versus Predator will be the bestest thing ever!!11"

I was just replying back saying what I'd prefer.

I just think it's dumb of people to bash something that doesn't even exist yet.  I seriously doubt the characters and plot are all 'final'...as to where they won't be making any changes to the script and so forth.  I mean, have you ever written a paper and not revised it?

The film itself may not exist, but so far none of us are thrilled with the little information we have on characters and plot. It's true that the script may still see changes, but if they want to have this movie in theaters for next august then they'd better nail it down pretty soon.

Exactly, you have very little info. on the characters and plot. Hence why I don't see a need to bash it. Nothing is final. When everything is final, and you have more information on the plot and characters, or (preferably) even when the movie comes out, that's when I say bash it all you want. I just think it's way to early to make any kind of critical judgment. That's all....

Exactly, you have very little info. on the characters and plot. Hence why I don't see a need to bash it. Nothing is final. When everything is final, and you have more information on the plot and characters, or (preferably) even when the movie comes out, that's when I say bash it all you want. I just think it's way to early to make any kind of critical judgment. That's all....

This is a discussion board. It's what we do. And what's wrong with us discussing the info that we do have, whether it's Paul Anderson and his poor track record as a director, or the rather generic character descriptions? It's not as if we were just spewing whatever insults we could think of, as if it were an AICN talkback. In fact, most of our criticism has been very well worded and thought out.

This is a discussion board. It's what we do. And what's wrong with us discussing the info that we do have, whether it's Paul Anderson and his poor track record as a director, or the rather generic character descriptions? It's not as if we were just spewing whatever insults we could think of, as if it were an AICN talkback. In fact, most of our criticism has been very well worded and thought out.

Bashing and discussing are two different things.

[edit]lol I'm just gonna stop right here. We're getting too OT here. My bad.

Edited by Oihan