New Macross Model base(s) being produced

Grayson72

Quick update, I heard from William, he said they are moving ahead with production of a 5" thick and a 7" thin base, both with the kite symbol.

This is their first foray into Macross and he has stated that startup costs for the bases are fairly expensive so it's understandable that he wants to test the market first with a few designs.

I'm sure after initial sales do well there will be more bases coming, i.e. the Zentradi symbol and the skull squadron.

I know I've got lots of models that need all kinds of bases.

Cheers

LTSO that's a great tip! Is that your's in the picture?

Oh and Dax, no it usually requires you punching a hole in the valk in some place inconspicuous.

Edited by Grayson72

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is finally here gang, first of the bases are curing up now. I have added them to the website so put your order in today. I really have to thank all of you for your input on this project and I look forward to working with you on the next batch of bases. I am sorry that it has taken this long to get these in the works but you all know Murphy's Law. The thicker 5" base is ready to ship and the Larger base will be ready this weekend so they both should start shipping Monday. Take care all and have a great weekend! :D

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait for at least a couple of months as I'm in the process of moving to South Korea and visiting with various family members untill the end of October. Nut when I'm settled I 'll be ordering 4-5 for the first batch and more a few months after that.

I get the feeling by the lack of response that this thing isn't getting enough attention. I think Grayson worked hard to get this guy interested in doing something.  I hope it's not in vain.  I hope I'm not misconstruing the lack of response as a lack of interest.

332924[/snapback]

Thanks buddy

Got mine today. Good base cast out of solid resin. A few bubbles here and there (but almost entirely on the underside, so not a problem). It's not as even around the edges as I would've liked. The 5 inch diameter "thick" one is much better than the 7 inch diameter "thin" version. The kite is very neatly scribed into the base. I'm glad I got them.

Got mine today. Good base cast out of solid resin. A few bubbles here and there (but almost entirely on the underside, so not a problem). It's not as even around the edges as I would've liked. The 5 inch diameter "thick" one is much better than the 7 inch diameter "thin" version. The kite is very neatly scribed into the base. I'm glad I got them.

333090[/snapback]

Got mine in today tooand agree with everything you said LTSO.

Very nice engraving on the kite, the flat surfaces on mine are perfect with no bubbles but yeah what's up with the slightly rough edges?

LTSO,

How did you bend the acrylic rod? I want to do the same for my base.

Oops! Never mind. I just saw your Sept 11 post. But if you do read this, How long did it take for you to get that curvature?

Edited by Aurora-7

Aurora,

Not long at all. I lean the acrylic rod in one of the grooves of the coffee can and wave the heat gun over it until it starts to bend (about 30 seconds to a minute depending on how hot your heat gun is). Then when it gets soft and bends, I start working it into the grooves of the coffee can to get a perfect half circle (REMEMBER TO WEAR GLOVES!!!!). I use one of the large coffee cans. I'm not sure if others do it this way... maybe I invented something! The "Ostrich technique"!!?!

Heck, EL just modify it. I was out of my mind with glee just to have it available at all and at a decent price, too.

We all have our preferences in things but when it comes to getting a base for a model from a 20 year old anime series, it's amazing to be able to get anything.

Edited by Aurora-7

E I, you can easily modify the base because the resin will cut very easily. If you want a plain edge just use a jeweler's saw to hack the edge off and then clean it up with a sanding block. Sorry we cannot produce the bases in multiple edge treatments, the costs are way too prohibitive for that.

While I am here gang, the response from the first base have been less than antisipated and I am not sure the reason. Did we pick the wrong design to start with? Have we not posted info about the bases enough around here? Has it been long enought for more people to know about the bases? Is there something more that we as a company can be doing to help get these things moving? We cannot proceed with new designs until we see some more promise from the initial bases. I would suggest that we could do a preorder on the new designs but I would hate to have customers waiting too long for their purchases. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

For those of you who visit Starship Modeler they have placed a small order for the 5" bases so they should be showing up there soon. John does not carry all of our bases but he does carry quite a few and his pricing is the same as buying direct from us.

I guess that is all for now, I got to head on over to HLJ to order a VF-0A w/ghost and some other goodies. Thanx again Grayson72 for turning me on to Macross, my ever thining wallet is not as happy with you though. :lol:

Take care gang and Happy Modeling.