Aircraft Graveyard sattelite image

Pat S

They have a little of everything at the graveyard, AF related.

Pretty cool. Rode by there on the bus when I did my A-10 FTD at DM.

heh whats the address of area 51?  :lol:  That game rocks

Groom Dry Lake AB, in the Nellis Range.

Good question if the google sat has it too. There's never anything of interest in the day shots anyway though.

New Mexico is also supposed to have some good stuff.

Edited by Anubis

yah i was noticing that. im trying to see I can spot the sub from our local sub base but I cant find it. shame since its normal to pass by it on boat like cars on a road unlike in the 50s it would be easy to spot with the 2 speed boats on each side to block the view.

aww it doesn't cover most of the world when you zoom in enough it tells you no image yet.

edit: lol accidently found crop circles I think

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fallen+nevad...15820&t=k&hl=en

This is so fun looking at the old places I lived and see how it looks now :lol:

Edited by Zentrandude

I believe it does have images of USAFFTC Det. 3 (current name for Area 51), this has been discussed in other forums and places, since there are several places around the Nellis Gunnery Range that sate images have been taken of. Most have been bomb targets areas and places resembling airfields, showing how our boys with the bombs got so good. When i have some time, i'll dig up the place that has the images and send a link. Some are interesting to look at.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

That's pretty cool...I've never seen that before. Do they only do maps of Canada, Continental USA or other coutries as well....didn't seem to find one.

I have lived in Tucson for 20 years. Lots of different birds have come and gone in that graveyard. The giant Guillotine is pretty cool. It cuts those b52's into nice chunks. The chopped up B52's have to be left out there for a certain amount of time. That way the Russians can see we are going by a certain treaty. You can take a bus tour of the graveyard. It is pretty cool.

You can see the Tomcats and F18's coming in for storage and the refurbished F4's leaving to some friendly country.

Have some better photos

http://www.dm.af.mil/AMARC/aerial_gallery.html

I actually live just an hour from Tucson and pass by that site almost everytime that I visit. Actually, the real "graveyard" is in the red circle. That's where most of the chopping and processing go on. With the exception of some B-52's and some other planes, the rest of the planes are actually just fine. They're just mothballed and can be recommissioned at any time. Slap in an engine or two, put in the avionics, and she's ready to fly.

post-26-1117608456_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF-17

Why don't they donate some of those planes to museums and parks? Around 20 years ago, while my parents drove me to school, I saw an F-104 Starfighter lying around a factory (which was formerly Lockheed Skunk Works) in Burbank. Shortly afterwards, it was repainted and placed on display at a park over by Olive Ave.

I'll post pics of the plane later tonight.