262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

I just got a gut feeling here that Sony has something up thier sleeves. Like Im not sure but ya think they are prepared to take on the Xbox 360 and top it off in sales? Maybe things can turn out diffrent ya never know, I just got a instinct that something is going to change...

About the only thing I can see Sony as having "up their sleeve" is a surprisingly low launch price.

If they launch too soon, they launch with no games. Sega already tried that, and it didn't work very well for them, did it?

It's unlikely that they'll come out with a Revolution-esque controller out of nowhere, even though they had something similar in the works with was meant to be used with the Eyetoy, but they never got it working very well.

They already have an impressively large list of titles in developement, there's really no "killer app" left to be named that they haven't already pulled out.

We already know that the PS3 is likely to be sporting the biggest, baddest graphics around.

Aside from price what else is there that Sony could possibly have up their sleeve?

It`s just a concept.

337009[/snapback]

And a damn fine one at that! A gun attatchment and a next-gen Duck Hunt? That'd sell me the system for sure. I've always wanted a Duck Hunt sequel.

337078[/snapback]

*nods*

I thought it'd be a good idea on the N64, really. Add a "Zapper Pak" and use the middle grip as the pistol handle.

Obviously IGN's going for a shotgun, which makes more DuckHunting sense.

It's still not gonna happen. Guns don't fit Nintendo's current happy friendly image

Either way, I was just dinging IGN because I got sick of seeing their RevCube controller, particularly when people kept passing it off as a real photo.

somehow, I just don't think that'd ever happen, Nintendo's only released a small percentage of "violent" games to their system....let's not forget, Nintendo had a VERY good chance of owning the market with the Playstation but said CD's technology wasn't in gaming future and they decided to let the Playstation idea go and SONY bought it, now look at SONY......

Nintedo has just fallen to the wasteside and their only buyers are families letting their 10 year olds play Mario...that's how I feel.

It's still not gonna happen. Guns don't fit Nintendo's current happy friendly image

I don't know. I mean, yeah, they probably won't make a gun attachment. But, I think they mentioned that the controller could work like a light gun regardless. So, I'm still holding out the hope that I'll see a Duck Hunt sequel in my lifetime. (Or, maybe at least the controller would work with the original Duck Hunt, since the Rev will play NES Roms? I've never got a light gun to work with an NES emulator, not even on console.)

The main reason Nintendo has been slow to release more light gun-like products is because all the lawsuits they got with their original. It was almost like the GTA of its time. Now that more people are starting to generically call video game systems "playstations" instead of "nintendos" in the US maybe that will change.

I hope so, because shotguns are fun! :D

somehow, I just don't think that'd ever happen, Nintendo's only released a small percentage of "violent" games to their system...

I see that as a kinda 'tail wagging the dog' statement.

Nintendo hasn't seemed to avoid letting violent games onto their system, if developers want to put them there. The problem is, with the competition getting so much more market saturation, developers concentrate their efforts there, where the money is.

I hope so, because shotguns are fun!

Let's not forget one other very important point... the third party market. Nintendo made their controller to do what it does. And a Duck Hunt game, frankly, isn't all that violent (unless you're a member of PETA). Nintendo could very well go ahead and make a Duck Hunt 2, figuring that shooting ducks isn't all the violent, especially with an apparatus that looks more like a VCR remote than a gun.

Then out of the blue comes Nyko, Madcatz, Naki, Pelican, some lesser-known 3rd party peripheral manufacturer, or (dare I dream) Logitech. They figure that it'd be more fun to shoot ducks with a gun than a VCR remote, so they, not Nintendo, make the attachment that turns the Revolution controller into a gun.

somehow, I just don't think that'd ever happen, Nintendo's only released a small percentage of "violent" games to their system....let's not forget, Nintendo had a VERY good chance of owning the market with the Playstation but said CD's technology wasn't in gaming future and they decided to let the Playstation idea go and SONY bought it, now look at SONY......

Sony didn't buy the PS.

Nintendo contracted with Sony to develop the SNESCD add-on. By most counts, there was a signifigant power struggle between the 2 that led to Nintendo cancelling the Sony-made SNESCD on the day it was scheduled to be publically unveiled. The hardware was finished and games were in mid-development.

They then signed with Philips for CDi technology. Then bailed on that and made the "no benefit to CDs" excuse, and were mocked by the public at large for it.*

Sony, being irked by the sudden unaking of the rug, and even more irked by the fact that Nintendo left them for a FOREIGN company, overhauled the SNESCD expansion into a complete game machine and released it as the PlayStation.

And took the market through a combination of damn good marketing and cheap hardware.

*Of course, if Nintendo HAD gone through with the SNESCD, it would now be cited as the beginning of their downward spiral because it wouldn't sell as well as the SNES. So in hindsight, it was a good move, though they lost most of their credibility with the N64 anyways.

I don't know. I mean, yeah, they probably won't make a gun attachment. But, I think they mentioned that the controller could work like a light gun regardless. So, I'm still holding out the hope that I'll see a Duck Hunt sequel in my lifetime. (Or, maybe at least the controller would work with the original Duck Hunt, since the Rev will play NES Roms? I've never got a light gun to work with an NES emulator, not even on console.)

Yah. Their NES emu quite likely traces the wand location and calculates screen target from it.

I've got a DC emu that supports the gun. It's not very reliable though, and the DC homebrew scene is basically dead, so it was never improved.

By most counts, there was a signifigant power struggle between the 2 that led to Nintendo cancelling the Sony-made SNESCD on the day it was scheduled to be publically unveiled.

As I understood it, the power struggle was largely how much credit (and what share of the profits) Sony would recieve.

Of course, if Nintendo HAD gone through with the SNESCD, it would now be cited as the beginning of their downward spiral because it wouldn't sell as well as the SNES. So in hindsight, it was a good move, though they lost most of their credibility with the N64 anyways.

An interesting analysis, considering that most people just figure that if the then-market leader would have just stuck with Sony, the now-market leader, that Nintendo would have be the defacto leader today. I suppose I'd have to consider the facts more carefully before I made any judgements either way myself, but one thing everyone can agree on is that had Nintendo and Sony's partnership remained, we'd be looking at a much different landscape going into the new generation.

I've got a DC emu that supports the gun. It's not very reliable though, and the DC homebrew scene is basically dead, so it was never improved.

It's a shame that no one bothered to make a Guncon-compatible NES emulator for the PSX/PS2, since I have a Guncon, a working PS2 NES emulator, and until this evening, a very nice v10 PS2 with a DMS3 chip installed. (Sadly, my wife accidentally knocked her pilates ball into it just after I'd opened it to drop Burnout Revenge into it, snapping something plastic in the door, preventing the tray from sliding back in. *sigh* Looks like I'll be buying a v13 slimline. Anyone know if the DMS4 or the Matrix Infinity is the better buy?)

I haven't tried modding my Xbox, but I may do so after I pick up my 360. Anyone know if the NES emulators for Xbox work with the Mad Catz blaster?

By most counts, there was a signifigant power struggle between the 2 that led to Nintendo cancelling the Sony-made SNESCD on the day it was scheduled to be publically unveiled.

As I understood it, the power struggle was largely how much credit (and what share of the profits) Sony would recieve.

I've heard that.

Heard that it was over publication control, too(Sony had CD manufacturing facilities, Nintendo didn't, so Sony would have the production control).

And that Sony wanted to make a totally new system that just HAPPENED to be SNES-compatible, instead of an SNES add-on. Whoich was clearly ironed out if they had hardware finalized, though it likely would've left both sides annoyed.

The complete truth, sadly, doesn't seem to be available.

Of course, if Nintendo HAD gone through with the SNESCD, it would now be cited as the beginning of their downward spiral because it wouldn't sell as well as the SNES. So in hindsight, it was a good move, though they lost most of their credibility with the N64 anyways.

An interesting analysis, considering that most people just figure that if the then-market leader would have just stuck with Sony, the now-market leader, that Nintendo would have be the defacto leader today. I suppose I'd have to consider the facts more carefully before I made any judgements either way myself, but one thing everyone can agree on is that had Nintendo and Sony's partnership remained, we'd be looking at a much different landscape going into the new generation.

*nods*

It WOULD have delayed, if not totally prevented, Sony's entrance into the market.

I somehow doubt that they would've remained allied longer than the SNES life, though.

And lacking Sony's strong competition, what would've stopped Sega from becoming #1?

Okay, BESIDES their own inept management and petty inter-division battles(the latter of which, interestingly enough, is dragging Sony down now).

Arguably, Nintendo could've been a contender with the N64, had it not arrived so late to the game. By the time Project Reality/Ultra 64/N64 was out, most people had already settled on a next-gen system.

It's a shame that no one bothered to make a Guncon-compatible NES emulator for the PSX/PS2, since I have a Guncon, a working PS2 NES emulator, and until this evening, a very nice v10 PS2 with a DMS3 chip installed.  (Sadly, my wife accidentally knocked her pilates ball into it just after I'd opened it to drop Burnout Revenge into it, snapping something plastic in the door, preventing the tray from sliding back in.  *sigh* 

:(

RIP, PS2.

It's a shame that no one bothered to make a Guncon-compatible NES emulator for the PSX/PS2, since I have a Guncon, a working PS2 NES emulator, and until this evening, a very nice v10 PS2 with a DMS3 chip installed. (Sadly, my wife accidentally knocked her pilates ball into it just after I'd opened it to drop Burnout Revenge into it, snapping something plastic in the door, preventing the tray from sliding back in. *sigh* Looks like I'll be buying a v13 slimline. Anyone know if the DMS4 or the Matrix Infinity is the better buy?)

Don't know if this would be helpfull or not, but is the tray:

1. Still attached fully

2. Moves back when you press the "Eject" button but

3. Only goes a little way and stops, then returning to the full open position?

This issue has happened to me a couple of times (I shouldn't have bought the thing used I guess... <_< ) I had a flip-top setup though, so I could see what was going on. What was happening is that the circular part that holds up the disc and spins it was coming up too early and blocking the tray from loading all the way. By forcibly jamming the thing in all the way when the power was off I was able to get it to work right again.

You could try that, or opening it up, see if there is any blockage or what-not and trying to remove that. Or you could just buy a flip-top case and you won't need that tray.

This might not help, but these options should be cheaper than buying a new system, at least until the next-gens.

This might not help, but these options should be cheaper than buying a new system, at least until the next-gens.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure that either would work. I'm not sure how the older version were, but the v10's disk drive is a completely closed apparatus (save for a very small, circular hole in the top of the drive unit), even with the case off. I don't think a simple case mod would help. Likewise, I can't get a good view to see what's going on in there. And even though the symptoms I'm having are pretty much exactly as you describe them, I should point out that a chunk of plastic actually fell out of the open drive.

It sucks to have to buy another PS2, but I can buy one pre-modded for around $250 (price includes labor, a brand new slimline PS2 complete with box, manuals, cables, and dual shock, and the actual modchip) from the same place I bought the mortally wounded one. That doesn't seem too unreasonable, and my wife is supposed to be getting a bonus at work. I know it was an accident, but she did break it, so she can buy the new one. Like I said, now the question is DMS4 (is there a huge advantage on the Pro over the Lite?) or the Matrix Infinity modchip.

According to an internal e-mail, Gamestop stores will start to recieve them this week as well.

I actually saw somebody that looked like a Microsoft employee, setting up a kiosk at a local Las Vegas Gamestop last week.

They told me that it was going to be running for this week, but I haven't been able to go back since then.

Can't wait to get my new puppy!!!

Hands on with the kiosk:

from a dude in NM at a Wal-Mart 360 kiosk

I just got back from my lunch break. I went to pick up Batman Begins, and was surprised to see an Xbox360 kiosk sitting there unnoticed.

It contains the following content:

Project Gotham Racing movie

Need for Speed Most Wanted movie

Kameo movie + a demo to play

Call of Duty 2 movie + a demo to play

King Kong movie + a demo to play

NBA2k6 movie

NHL2k6 movie

Ghost Recon movie

Test Drive movie

Full Auto movie

Top Spin 2 movie

Amped 3

I went through the majority of the movie clips, and most of them are stuff that has already been posted on the net. They had it hooked up to an LCD screen though, and that made the clips look nicer. The controller feels really nice in the hands, and all the buttons are well placed. It felt smaller then the Controller S.

You can also make your way through the different blades of the system functionality, although a lot of stuff doesn't have links to it. I was pretty impressed by the interface of the system.

Honestly, the clip that blew me away the most was the Need for Speed Clip. It looked really good on that big of a screen. It makes me wonder if that is what actual gameplay will look like, or if it was pre-rendered. PGR3 was pretty good as well. Kameo looked really good, as did NBA 2k6.

Top Spin 2 made my jaw drop when it zoomed in on the players face (I could see the pores on the guys face), but then not so much when it showed the actual game play. It needs more graphical polish overall.

The call of duty demo is pretty fun to play. I died a lot though due to not knowing the controls, and not having an inverted axis (I use these as standard on FPS). It is intense.

NHL2k6 looked okay on the screen, but it is the same clip from back at E3. Honestly though it didn't look as bad as we have been made to believe from the small clips. It makes me hold out hope that perhaps they have really been massaging the game and just have not unveiled it yet. It definetly doesn't hold a candle to NBA2k6 though.

Full Auto to me will be one of those games that just hits the stores and I will go and buy it, even if I don't plan too. It looks fun, and looks like a good way to showcase the hardware.

I didn't watch Ghost Recon, King Kong or Test Drive due to a cramped neck and lack of time.

As I think more about the first impression in person, I was pretty sold on the stuff I saw. Everything was a substantial jump over current gen stuff, but I will also say that it isn't going to make me forget about some of the games this gen, or make me not want to play them due to less graphical flair.

I was disapointed to find several no-shows on the video clips. I was expecting at the very least to see:

Saints Row,

The Outfit,

Perfect Dark 0

Madden 06

Fifa

Dead or Alive

Oblivion

At least they are beginning to appear.

Edited by Gaijin

If you guys really want to try the 360 that bad, I think it will be at the IGN Live this weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center this weekend. It's like E3 for the Public

Anaheim = other side of the country.

Wal-Mart = across the street.

Guess where I'm going to look for 360 stuff?

LOL! I just notice I typed "weekend" twice.. can't think right now...playing Shadow of the Colossus. One of the most AWESOME games I have played this year.

Current best PS2 action for 2005:

1. SOTC

2. RE4

3. GOW

I want to add MGS3, but that was release last year (the reissue don't count even though it has tons of new features)

Reading through my newest gamestop, I'm not sure I'm so impressed with Nintendos "revolutionary" new controller... if I owned one, I could see myself automatically buying the "regular" controller shell or whatever it is and sticking with that.

The possibilities ARE endless, but as with any other new media, the chances of it being employed to it's fullest capbability (or something remotely close to approaching that), are seriously open to question. I shall watch and see how this works out.

Reading through my newest gamestop, I'm not sure I'm so impressed with Nintendos "revolutionary" new controller... if I owned one, I could see myself automatically buying the "regular" controller shell or whatever it is and sticking with that.

Welcome to 2 months ago.

figured I was probably behind the curve on this one, but admittedly I haven't paid much attention to this thread in a couple of weeks... that's what I get I suppose.

338383[/snapback]

*shrugs*

I just got sick of bickering the Rev maybe a week after the controller was unveiled.

I think the controler for the Revolution is.......well.......Revolutionary......haha......I got no nit picks about it.

I'm done with the 360 system itself and all the accessories and I got 3 out of 5 games paid off till launch day.......elderscrolls will be dead last on my list since its on the 6th.

figured I was probably behind the curve on this one, but admittedly I haven't paid much attention to this thread in a couple of weeks... that's what I get I suppose.

338383[/snapback]

*shrugs*

I just got sick of bickering the Rev maybe a week after the controller was unveiled.

338391[/snapback]

ahh.

I wasn't so much trying to rag on it, rather to announce my "wait and see" stance on it... sorry if it came across as harsh

Back on topic, I just picked up Shadow of the Colossus today, and will join in on the praise it's getting. It's very very rare that I find myself actually smiling while playing a game. The third colossus is the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. Off to find the fourth!

338383[/snapback]

*shrugs*

338391[/snapback]

ahh.

I wasn't so much trying to rag on it, rather to announce my "wait and see" stance on it... sorry if it came across as harsh

338399[/snapback]

It didn't really...

I just sorta snapped.

Back on topic, I just picked up Shadow of the Colossus today, and will join in on the praise it's getting.  It's very very rare that I find myself actually smiling while playing a game.  The third colossus is the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.  Off to find the fourth!

338402[/snapback]

I've played the demo and found it pretty damn difficult... I have to wonder how I'd enjoy the real game