262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

figured I was probably behind the curve on this one, but admittedly I haven't paid much attention to this thread in a couple of weeks... that's what I get I suppose.

338383[/snapback]

*shrugs*

I just got sick of bickering the Rev maybe a week after the controller was unveiled.

338391[/snapback]

ahh.

I wasn't so much trying to rag on it, rather to announce my "wait and see" stance on it... sorry if it came across as harsh

338399[/snapback]

It didn't really...

I just sorta snapped.

338403[/snapback]

You know, I think it's kinda telling that, with the DS, for nearly a year the best games we had for it were gimmicky collections of touch-screen minigames. Then finally, a truly great game comes out for the DS that makes almost no use of the touch screen features (I'm talking about Castlevania, BTW).

I do expect to see a TON of gimmicky crap for the Revolution. But I also expect either a more traditional controller attachment or full support for Gamecube controllers in Revolution titles. And when the dust settles, the Revolution will have software that plays with the "remote" that sucks, and some that kicks ass. It'll have some that plays with a more standard style controller that sucks, and some that kicks ass.

Simple fact is, "revolutionary" controller or not, the Revolution has two important things going for it that might not catipult it to the forefront of the next-gen console wars, but at least all but insures it a place in my entertainment center (which is more than I can say for the PS3 at the moment).

Price: Nintendo has been saying that they're shooting less for raw power and more for affordability. The rumored $200 price tag is a huge plus after shelling out $400 for an Xbox 360 and listening to Kutaragi tell me he wants me to work extra hours so I can afford to buy a console he doesn't intend for home use (or the $500-$700 price tag that's been floating around industry circles for the PS3).

Software: Microsoft and Nintendo get a lot of third party games that don't show up on Nintendo's hardware, but let's face it: only Nintendo has Nintendo software, which almost everyone can agree is some of the best software around. And while I know I'll probably buy most of my games for the Xbox 360 in the coming year, I'm sure I'll be finding the time for the new Super Smash Bros.

Some people may argue that the ability to download games from Nintendo's first three consoles is a huge seller too, but frankly, I don't see it. When all is said and done, I don't see myself using it. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and while there are certainly retro games I enjoy (it's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the Megaman games, especially the classic NES ones), a lot of them haven't really aged well. What's more, the ability to emulate, at the very least, the NES and SNES is everywhere. You can even run emulators on the PSP now. Nintendo hasn't announced any price plan for emulation on the Revolution, but they have said that it won't be free. Legal or not, I don't see myself paying to download and play games on the Revolution that I can play on my PC (naturally), PS2 (chipped), Dreamcast (unmodified), PSP (1.50 firmware, baby), or Xbox (I just have to settle on which chip to buy) for free.

I've played the demo and found it pretty damn difficult... I have to wonder how I'd enjoy the real game

338425[/snapback]

yeah, tell me about it, i've been playing the demo, and the best i can do is see some rings around the colossus' knee or something, i can't figure it out....

need to spend more time playing games instead of going online to message forums....

Some people may argue that the ability to download games from Nintendo's first three consoles is a huge seller too, but frankly, I don't see it.  When all is said and done, I don't see myself using it.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and while there are certainly retro games I enjoy (it's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the Megaman games, especially the classic NES ones), a lot of them haven't really aged well.  What's more, the ability to emulate, at the very least, the NES and SNES is everywhere.  You can even run emulators on the PSP now.  Nintendo hasn't announced any price plan for emulation on the Revolution, but they have said that it won't be free.  Legal or not, I don't see myself paying to download and play games on the Revolution that I can play on my PC (naturally), PS2 (chipped), Dreamcast (unmodified), PSP (1.50 firmware, baby), or Xbox (I just have to settle on which chip to buy) for free.

I think they're banking on people not knowing jack about emulation.

A lot of poeple don't. That's what drove NES prices up through the roof a while back. They wanted to recapture their youth, and saw no way other than to go out and buy it all back.

You know, I think it's kinda telling that, with the DS, for nearly a year the best games we had for it were gimmicky collections of touch-screen minigames. Then finally, a truly great game comes out for the DS that makes almost no use of the touch screen features (I'm talking about Castlevania, BTW).

I think it's more telling about developers than the system.

I'm surprised there's no RTS games out yet for the DS. Not even a port of Starcraft or anything. I'm dissapointed in Metroid Prime Hunter's use of the touch screen, I'd rather the action was up top, while the bottom screen had the map and simultaneously acted like a mousepad for the stylus, so your hand isn't in the way while looking around. Hopefully future FPS games for the DS realize this.

Where's Mario Paint for the DS? Apparently on the way, but one would think that would have been a launch title or something.

There's only a couple Adventure games out so far. Haven't heard much about Lost in Blue, but Trace Memory is apparently dissapointing.

I want games like Castlevania that make minimal, but excellent, use of the touch screen (having the map right there has spoiled me, it's a nicer use of the second screen than I would have thought, and signing your name instead of selecting letters is also something I hope other games pick up on), but there's some obvious uses for the DS's touch screen setup that no one has taken much advantage of.

That does make me worried about the Revolution. There's many games that the controller will be ideal for, that no other home console can do, but will we see RTS games? Actually good console FPS games? Third person platform games could also really benefit from the Revolution's controller, but will developers take advantage of it?

I hope you're right about when the dust settles.

As for emulation, I pretty much agree that it's no reason to buy the system, but it could be a nice additional feature. I wouldn't buy a PSP because of the emulators either, but if I had a PSP I'd definitely make use of it. JBO's probably right about a lot of people having no clue when it comes to game emulators. Look at how well UMD movie sales for the PSP are doing, despite the fact that you could buy DVDs instead, rip them, and play them on your PSP, or download anime fansubs or whatever.

Think of how computer savvy the average Joe off the street is. Now realize that %50 of people know even less than that person does.

I think it's more telling about developers than the system.

Well, I didn't mean to imply non-traditional control schemes are an inherent flaw with the system. But when developers aren't sure what to make of it (and face it, it brought nothing to Super Mario 64 DS, Yoshi's Touch and Go and Pokemon Dash flat out sucked, and Wario Ware Inc, while fun, is really a collection of very mini mini-games, so you can even make the case that Nintendo themselves aren't always sure what to do with it), you wind up with a ton of gimmicky software and it becomes a problem for the system.

Developers who feel bound to use the Revolution controller's unique features will wind up creating boring, gimmicky games for the Revolution, too. But just as Konami realized that you didn't have to go all out with the DS's features, someone will realize that you can make a great game for the Revolution without all the gimmicks.

I'm surprised there's no RTS games out yet for the DS. Not even a port of Starcraft or anything.

I'm not saying that the DS wouldn't be a fine platform for an RTS... but more and more, it seems that RTS will be the one genre that PC gamers get to call their own.

I think they're banking on people not knowing jack about emulation.
Think of how computer savvy the average Joe off the street is. Now realize that %50 of people know even less than that person does.

Ah, right. I spend so much time with my computer literate friends (of which most still know less than me) and you guys (who often know more than me), that I forget that there are many people who are lucky enough to have figured out how to turn their's on.

I'm not saying that the DS wouldn't be a fine platform for an RTS... but more and more, it seems that RTS will be the one genre that PC gamers get to call their own.

Sadly, I think you're right. You know, aside from Homeworld, I don't even like most RTS games. Still, it just seems like such a waste to me. Someone did start developing an RTS for the DS, but the publisher dropped it. I'm pretty certain there's another RTS, set in feudal Japan, that is coming to the DS, but that's just one game. Can you imagine if the DS had a WiFi compatable port of Starcraft? How many RTS nuts would jump at that?

Also, while I'm not usually big on virtual pet games, Nintendogs has constantly made me think of how great a Seaman game could be for the DS.

Not sure if I believe it...I sure hope it'd be true:

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145024

339678[/snapback]

I'd believe it. If I recall, the XBox 360 is slated for 350$ in Japan(no craptastic crippleware model AND they get a discount). Sony has the Playstation name, whereas Microsoft was a complete non-issue in Japan this generation, but they can't afford to price too high above the competition. 400 is about the max they can go for without risking sticker-shock defections.

BTW, has anyone had the chance to try out one of the XBox 360 kiosks yet?  Had the chance to try one at the Super Walmart in Bellevue, NE last Friday night.  Mainly played the Call of Duty 2 demo. :)

339705[/snapback]

Not yet. The MalWart I checked didn't have it. Got another couple to stab at.

This will certainly be a coup for Sony if they can manage it. Especially if they manage $300 in the States. This would destroy one of the two main advantages the 360 was expected to enjoy.

Don't forget, though, that the trend has been shifting away from the "more expensive in Japan, less expensive in the US." Both the PSP and the Xbox 360 are cheaper in Japan. With a $400 Xbox 360 and $60 next-gen games, Sony may feel just as comfortable to launch at $400 in the US. The 360, of course, could retain it's price advantage by eliminating the "Core" package and dropping the price of the real package to $300.

Oh yeah, I forgot what I originally meant to post... Over G screens.

For those who have been out of the loop, Over G is the game formerly titled World Air Force. Taito decided to go with a name change to indicate that Over G is more an evolution of the series, and not a real sequel to the popular Energy Air Force games for PS2. Frankly, I don't care what they call it. They can call it Taito Presents a Game With Airplanes if they want, as long as it sees a Stateside release. Those screens look amazing!

Xbox 360 kiosks placed in Wal-Mart stores across the country have been shut off, said a Microsoft spokesperson contacted this afternoon. The reason, according to Microsoft, is due to the console causing interference with Wal-Mart's wireless "hand scanner" inventory system. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem as being "minor" and says a software solution is in the works to correct it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136388.html

I haven't seen any Xbox 360 kiosks around here yet but there are ad displays popping up.

"F" Microsoft

The absolute worst reason in the world to not buy a console.

I haven't seen any Xbox 360 kiosks around here yet but there are ad displays popping up.

My local Wal-Mart had their's up and running. Didn't feel like watching movies, so I tried both of the playables.

Call of Duty 2 is... well, it's like every other WWII shooter out there. Seriously, if you've played any of the Medal of Honor games or the first Call of Duty, you know what you're getting into.

And Kameo... for a game that's being called "Rare's answer to Zelda," it's kinda funny how it plays nothing like Zelda. In fact, the control scheme seemed downright sloppy. I don't get why Rare seems to think lately that third person action platformers should have FPS controls (Conker suffered this same defect).

Graphically, I'll admit that I wasn't really wowed, but I didn't really expect to be. I think one developer said that the closer we get to reality graphically, the less room for improvement there is. And while the improvements don't jump out at you the way the leap from the NES to the SNES did, that's not to say they weren't there. You tend not to pay attention to it in the heat of a firefight, but Call of Duty 2 was a very detailed game. Planes were making bombing runs in the distance, and when you'd reload your weapon, you could see the serial etched onto the side.

The biggest thing worth mentioning, you've probably heard before... but yes, the Xbox 360 controller is simply sublime. The angle of the handles, the shape and thickness of the handles... just perfect. Yet the overall design feels lighter and smaller (although just as sturdy). The shoulder buttons are easy to reach and press in a way that feels totally natural (unlike offbrand Xbox 1 controllers with a second set of black and white buttons on the shoulders), but when it comes time to use the triggers, it's like the buttons aren't even there, so they don't get in the way. The D-pad is slightly improved as well, although the X, Y, B, and A buttons are basically the same, as are the analog sticks. To put it simply, the 360 controller really is the most comfortable controller I've had the pleasure of holding.

Mike, those pics are actually old. Taito actually released a trailer not too long ago, and it did confirm that the MIG-29, SU-27, and F-14 are flyable in the game! The trailer is cool, it starts off with some happy sounding tune with a super hornet going to the catapult and launching, and then this rock track kicks in, and then you see tomcats shooting stuff, flankers and fulcrums doing REAL cobras(not the BS yellow squadron AC4 kind), and it ends with the super bug landing.

The thing I like, is that this thing is on par with aerodancing/aerowings/aero elite academy flight model and physics wise, BUT

takes it a step further and provides authentic avionics AND displays per plane! This was evident on the previous PS2 incarnations but with the 360 I imagine they can take this a lot further, I was not surprised at alll when the screens showed accurate shots of an F-15C cockpit and accurate displays.

the trailer is here btw

http://www.taito.co.jp/d3/cp/waf/popup/pop1-wm.html

Anyone tried their hand at the Every10minutes deal MountainDew is holding....?

I took me 2 weeks dammit to figure out how I was suppose to play cause I was doing it at work. Our vending machine is full of pepsi products so I spent like 8 bucks adding in Pepsi points and FINALLY tonight I started spreading around atleast 2 in the least used timeslots, mostly early AM slots.

Maybe I'll get lucky?

Even though i already own the 360 cause I finished off my payments, I wouldn't mind having a second one to give to a less fortunante friend or something......I do have one that's got a dead end job and hardly makes enough money to pay his bills and he LOVES video games, he just hasn't played any since Halo.....

• 2 weeks later...
sound it would be something like steam that you have the unit be connected on the net to play your ps3.  Thats a huge drawback since I have places where intoooorrrrnet can't reach.

343697[/snapback]

To me, it doesn't sound very online.

There's a security code on the disk. When the disk is stuck in, the PS3 registers it(presumably on internal flash RAM), then deletes it.

No security code = no boot.

So you can't pirate software, loan out software, rent software, or buy used software, because the code is gone.

If they use a magnetic track, it also introduces a lot of room for farting the game up in shipping.

Wasn't security one of the reasons they were going to use BluRay in the first place?

So this proprietary extension means one if its primary supporters doesn't think it's really as secure as claimed.

Either that or they just want to crush used game sales.

sound it would be something like steam that you have the unit be connected on the net to play your ps3.  Thats a huge drawback since I have places where intoooorrrrnet can't reach.

343697[/snapback]

To me, it doesn't sound very online.

There's a security code on the disk. When the disk is stuck in, the PS3 registers it(presumably on internal flash RAM), then deletes it.

No security code = no boot.

So you can't pirate software, loan out software, rent software, or buy used software, because the code is gone.

If they use a magnetic track, it also introduces a lot of room for farting the game up in shipping.

Wasn't security one of the reasons they were going to use BluRay in the first place?

So this proprietary extension means one if its primary supporters doesn't think it's really as secure as claimed.

Either that or they just want to crush used game sales.

343703[/snapback]

If that is true how would the unit know the differnce between the one it registers and a copy since both wouldnt have the code on it. Plus would it make it easier to pirate since you just need someone to make a device to feed it codes of games from a pirate data base and just copy the games onto a future blueray burner.

If that is true how would the unit know the differnce between the one it registers and a copy since both wouldnt have the code on it. 

They don't care. You bought a new copy, because you had to to get a code on the system in the first place.

Plus would it make it easier to pirate since you just need someone to make a device to feed it codes of games from a pirate data base and just copy the games onto a future blueray burner.

Maybe.

It'd almost certainly be a far more elaborate modchip than the devices available today.

As far as I know, current modchips feed the system a valid security/region code to replace a fixed code that can't be copied(non-standard addition to the CD/DVD-ROM format) and is the same across all disks for a given system and region.

If I'm right, the setup described in the patent would have a code that varied with game content.

Either way...

Most systems will likely remain unmodded, and thus unable to play used games.

Of course, how many of us have had our Sony consoles off and die on us within a couple of years of use?

So when Sony's faulty hardware fails us yet again, we can't play the games we bought? Will Sony have some sort of customer service that sends us on a painfully elaborate hassle just to get the games we legally bought working again?

Of course this is all just rumour at this point, so Sony might not be putting this into the PS3 at all.

I'd like to see Sony fall of it's high horse. There hasn't been a single game on the PS2 that I've wanted. I loved the PSX, but the PS2 dissappoints me. The graphics are inferior, and the only game I see worth owning is God of War and the Macross game (that I can't play for I live in the States and don't want to mod a PS2). Final Fantasy VII was great for the PSX, but Final Fantasy X bored me (played on friend's PS2). I'm not a huge Microsoft fan either, but I can't really complain about the XBox at all. It has several games that I've wanted and now own, such as Halo, Conker...etc. XBox Live is also awesome in my opinion. I also can't see Nintendo ever fading off the earth either in the console wars. They have so many exclusives titles...I'm looking forward to the new Zelda and I don't own a GameCube yet. Once I get a GC I also plan to get Smash Brothers and Mario Kart. I'm sure they'll have those three titles for Revolution as well. If Sony were to remake FFVII, and if they were to have a few other titles that I'd be interested, I'd be more inclined to buying a PS3, but I can't see that happening yet. Anyway...I'm done rambling. Just thought I'd give my opinion.