262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

I still remember the PS2 hype, so the Penny-Arcade attitude towards "bullshots" is first and foremost in my mind. If these turn out to be the real deal, it will be a very pleasant surprise. If not, eh. Not like they haven't don't that before.

As for the Metal Gear 2 reference, well it really could be both. It seems like it's a small spybot of some sort, and maybe they thought "Hey, we had something like that that was an MG2 reference, why not do that again?"

On portables, my DS fits neatly in my pants pockets, and I wear jeans not cargo pants or anything like that.

On portables, my DS fits neatly in my pants pockets, and I wear jeansĀ  not cargo pants or anything like that.

328533[/snapback]

I used to stuff the GameBoy in my pocket. Not the GameBoy Advance, Pocket, or Color, and most certainly not the Althena-forsaken SP. The original cabbage-green brick.

Not that it was a great fit, but it DID go in there.

As for the Metal Gear 2 reference, well it really could be both. It seems like it's a small spybot of some sort, and maybe they thought "Hey, we had something like that that was an MG2 reference, why not do that again?"

328533[/snapback]

A journalist friend of mine who has spent a fair amount of time with Kojima (last summer when I was in Tokyo I called him to see if he wanted to hang out and he couldn't because he was watching Steamboy with the guy) passed along to me Kojima's vision of hsi works; that is, they all roughly take place in the same world. The Metal Gear series, Snatcher/Policenauts and Z.O.E. all take place along the same timeline.

328533[/snapback]

A journalist friend of mine who has spent a fair amount of time with Kojima (last summer when I was in Tokyo I called him to see if he wanted to hang out and he couldn't because he was watching Steamboy with the guy) passed along to me Kojima's vision of hsi works; that is, they all roughly take place in the same world. The Metal Gear series, Snatcher/Policenauts and Z.O.E. all take place along the same timeline.

328538[/snapback]

I've heard that before. Sans Zone of Enders.

Also interesting: There will be no core system in Japan. The japanese consumers, in their infinite wisdom, have expressed ltittle to no interest in it.

And from http://www.insertcredit.com/

SAM AND MAX!

"Sam & Max, the popular adventure detectives of PC adventure history, are set to return to the gaming world, courtesy of Telltale Games. The surprise announcement came at the end of a keynote speech last night at the Future of Digital Entertainment conference in San Francisco; Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell gave the mostly Freelance Police-experienced developer the go-ahead to make the game, which will not be related to last year's cancelled sequel."

Also interesting: There will be no core system in Japan. The japanese consumers, in their infinite wisdom, have expressed ltittle to no interest in it.

And $50 cheaper too. Guess we're financing the 360 love for the world. :lol: Japan gets cheaper price and no retard pack.

Edited by Gaijin

I actually really like the design in a sense that it could be used for sword-fighting games, the genre of games I've always wanted to see. I think a Highlander game could really be done right on one of these things.

I think that moving the characters on games will probably be frustrating though. I hope the system will or could be made Wavebird compatable, though.

I think that moving the characters on games will probably be frustrating though.Ā 

How so? Tilt controller, tilt stick. Not that diffrent.

Funny thought... everyone that trained themselves to NOT wave the controller around will be at a disadvantage. :)

But yah, swordfighting games would work REALLY nice.

Edited by JB0

Wow, I didn't know I have been using this revolution technology for almost 3 years now :unsure:

http://www.gyration.com/ultrapro.htm

Minus the d-pad and some buttons, it does the same thing. I used this mouse to surf the net on TV most of the time :lol:

REVOLUTION CONTROLLER ANNOUNCED!

GYROSCOPES!

IPOD AESTHETICS!

MODULAR DESIGN!

fartING MODULAR CONTROLLER!

It may as well BE the liquid-metal pad I was joking about...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

328859[/snapback]

It's a bit weird for any old school gamers I'll admit, but I think it has great potential. I haven't used any controller that has ever been able to beat a mouse and a keyboard, but this at least looks like it has promise. Not only that but unhook the analog stick and flip it swideways and you have an old NES controller for retro games. Cool.

IGN has a ad video Nintendo was running.

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651...id_1249127.html

The girl about halfway through that's staring in awe at her ability to make Mario jump is priceless.

It's a bit weird for any old school gamers I'll admit, but I think it has great potential. I haven't used any controller that has ever been able to beat a mouse and a keyboard, but this at least looks like it has promise.

I use a trackball and keyboard for PC games. Never found an adequate substitute for the keyboard.

Not only that but unhook the analog stick and flip it swideways and you have an old NES controller for retro games. Cool.

328923[/snapback]

Yah. That's been one of Nintendo's major marketing points, is the NES download library they're gonna have(details to be announced later).

Didn't think it was gonna influence the controller design, but....

Hey, no reason it can't emulate the SNES too! And with the modular control, they can do it right!

post-720-1126855673.png

Edited by JB0

I'm cautiously optimistic. I can see how a controller like this can be used in new and most excellent ways, but I can also see third party developers gawking at it with a "You got to be f@#$ing kidding me!" expression on their collective faces when told they have to port Popular Game X over to the Revolution.

However, if the modular controller also supports more traditional style controllers, or if the idea that you can use Gamecube controllers with the console are true, that might not be a problem at all.

I was wary of the touch screen on the DS, too, but now I love that handheld. I'm looking forward to seeing what Miyamoto does with this.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I can see how a controller like this can be used in new and most excellent ways, but I can also see third party developers gawking at it with a "You got to be f@#$ing kidding me!" expression on their collective faces when told they have to port Popular Game X over to the Revolution.

However, if the modular controller also supports more traditional style controllers, or if the idea that you can use Gamecube controllers with the console are true, that might not be a problem at all.

I was wary of the touch screen on the DS, too, but now I love that handheld. I'm looking forward to seeing what Miyamoto does with this.

328939[/snapback]

REV CAN USE the GC controller so porting wouldn't be a problem...

I am excited on the games that Nintendo and other developers will make for REV and its cool controller. (Please make a Star Wars game with lightsaber battle...)

Nintendo is truly the King of Video Game.

I don't see that being a problem, for reasons already stated in this thread. However, if Nintendo forces third parties to work with their new controller, such shoehorning PS3 and 360 ports into using it somehow, then that could push developers away.

I'm not feeling this new controller. The idea that you physically have to move your hand and arm aroudn to get stuff to happen in game, well, I'm just not down with that. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Power Glove?

The idea is that the technology has come far enough to make it feasible, and accurate enough that you don't have to wave the thing around like an idiot (like you did with the powerglove, the U-force, etcetera). Point the controller upwards a little to look upwards, point it downwards to look down. Seems a simple and intuitive enough plan to me. Assuming it works well, wich the demos and news articles from first hand accounts seem to confirm.

Keep in mind that the modular nature of the controller is via a cord, so you're holding half a controller in one hand and the Revolution remote in the other, rather than holding one piece two handed.

Revolutionary? Sure. A step in the right direction? I somehow doubt it. Nintendo's got some nice ideas, and while moving the controller itself to move something in a game might seem intuitive to non-gamers, gamers have been training themselves for 25+ years on a controller/joystick.

The one saving grace, and the one thing that might motivate me to buy a Revolution, will be a chance at a real Duck Hunt sequel.

I somehow doubt that every modular piece for the controller will connect via cord, such as if there are more conventional controllers that hook into it for, say, SNES and N64 games. For that I imagine it will be like the mockup JBO posted. That's assuming we aren't just using GameCube controllers for those games.

I also don't think it will be at all difficult for gamers to pick this up and run with it. I've been gaming since the 2600 days. I've used paddles, trackballs, steering wheels, flight sticks of all kinds, including dual handed sticks and flightsticks with seperate thrust controls. I was able to adapt to the 6 button SNES pad when most people I knew were bemoaning the overwhelming amount of buttons. I picked up the N64 controller easily enough. I was able to forgo a gamepad for my PC and to this day rely on the mouse and keyboard two handed combo to get me by, wich it does quite well.

http://revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8247

The thorny issue of how games not designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles - will be played. He had the answer: "We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded."

that has to be the worst controller I've seen in my life

329012[/snapback]

After reading how it works, more and more I'm starting to have the exact opposite opinion. I'm really looking forward to trying it myself.

I'm not feeling this new controller. The idea that you physically have to move your hand and arm aroudn to get stuff to happen in game, well, I'm just not down with that. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Power Glove?

328963[/snapback]

The idea is that the technology has come far enough to make it feasible, and accurate enough that you don't have to wave the thing around like an idiot (like you did with the powerglove, the U-force, etcetera). Point the controller upwards a little to look upwards, point it downwards to look down. Seems a simple and intuitive enough plan to me. Assuming it works well, wich the demos and news articles from first hand accounts seem to confirm.

328966[/snapback]

I'd like to point out that

A. Mattel, not Nintendo, was responsible for the Power glove.

B. The Power Glove was being mapped back down to a d-pad and button pair. Nothing was ever INTENDED to work with the glove.

C. Yeah, tech's more advanced. It's smaller, lighter, and pr'ly requires much finer movements, enabling you to just rest it in your lap and twitch it a little.

What can I say about I`m happy about it, yet I have mixed feelings about it not because it`s bad or ugly can`t say really.

It`s not really a revolution controller but the I like the idea to use it for certain games as a gun, sword or a fishing rod ... Hmm. a Nin-Saber for a SW Lightsaber game :)

Nintendo might have a winner, even if they win just for their retro games

OK this system on my list including PS3

I've used paddles, trackballs, steering wheels, flight sticks of all kinds, including dual handed sticks and flightsticks with seperate thrust controls.

I've used them all too... and always wound up going back to conventional controllers. 20+ years of gaming, and that's just what I'm used to.

That's not to say that the controller is a wholly bad idea. Like I said, a sequel to Duck Hunt would be great with that thing. But as the primary controller for all types of games? I'm not so sure about that. Apparently, neither is Nintendo.

We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

But that's just fine. That's just what I wanted to hear. It winds up being like the DS... innovative controls for innovative type games (Feel the Magic), conventional controls for more conventional type games (Castlevania).

I do have a bad feeling that, again like the DS, you're going to get 5 pieces of gimmicky crap for every one truly innovative game.

Meh. I don't want to be sitting there, twitching my wrist around trying to hook a fish or swing a sword. After watching promotional vids and seeing how this thing is supposed to be used, it comes off as more gimmick than gameplay. Nintendo's being smart by releasing a normal game controller as well because this thing has a huge potential to flop.