262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

Funny, because FF9 was the only PS1 FF I actually liked, and the only one of the 3 I've seen fit to keep around...

325460[/snapback]

FF 1,4,6, and Tactics.... all your final-fantasy needs met conveniently :)

325550[/snapback]

A. PS1 FF6 sucked big sweaty super monkey balls.

B. I prefer 5 to 6.

C. I prefer 2j to 1.

D. Excepting Tactics, not a one is a native PS game.

E. I don't count Tactics. :p No offense against the game. I actually like it. But it's not a "real" FF any more than Seiken Densetsu 1 is.

Funny, because FF9 was the only PS1 FF I actually liked, and the only one of the 3 I've seen fit to keep around...

325460[/snapback]

FF 1,4,6, and Tactics.... all your final-fantasy needs met conveniently :)

325550[/snapback]

A. PS1 FF6 sucked big sweaty super monkey balls.

B. I prefer 5 to 6.

C. I prefer 2j to 1.

D. Excepting Tactics, not a one is a native PS game.

E. I don't count Tactics. :p No offense against the game. I actually like it. But it's not a "real" FF any more than Seiken Densetsu 1 is.

325555[/snapback]

Well, it was never stipulated that they had to be PS1 games, lol. You actually preferred 5 over 6? While I respect that opinion, I must say you're probably in the minority. I haven't played all the way through it yet, but I'm pretty far in. I still stand by my philosophy that FFIV (sold in an easier format as FFII for the American SNES) is the best one... I liked FFI simply because it was the original. I enjoy the beefed-up SNES-like PS1 translation. The only thing I didn't like about FFII was the exp mechanics in regards to your attributes (you can only raise ATK by attacking, etc). It may be more realistic, but it's a total pain in the ass to me.

-Jeremy

(who is still waiting for an licensed english translation for FFIII from the famicom... which was REALLY good...)

Well, it was never stipulated that they had to be PS1 games, lol.

Seemed implied.

*shrugs*

You actually preferred 5 over 6? While I respect that opinion, I must say you're probably in the minority. I haven't played all the way through it yet, but I'm pretty far in.

FF6 is an AV masterpiece, and far better written than most RPGs, but I thought 5 was just more fun to play.

I like playng around with the character class system they have going in 5, mainly.

I still stand by my philosophy that FFIV (sold in an easier format as FFII for the American SNES) is the best one...

4 is indeed a quite nice game.

I liked FFI simply because it was the original. I enjoy the beefed-up SNES-like PS1 translation.

I find FF1, again, just plain fun.

And I'm in the minority again, but I don't really like the modern retargetting setup in the battle engine. Seems to remove a lot of the strategy to me.

I haven't dealt with the PS1 port of the Wonderswan remake, but I've heard the music. And again with the weird contraryness, but I liked the old NES battle tune beter than the modern high-res sample-based one.

Hell, I think the NES has the best rendition of the battle tune to date. :p

The only thing I didn't like about FFII was the exp mechanics in regards to your attributes (you can only raise ATK by attacking, etc). It may be more realistic, but it's a total pain in the ass to me.

I actually like that mechanism.

I've heard it collapses in on itself towards the end of the game, though. I've never stayed with the game long enough to get there.

Burned out on RPGs at some point, and I've had trouble working up the urge to start in on it again(and more importantly, as soon as I get hit with the RPG urge again I need to finish off Valkyrie Profile's hard mode). Same slump's kept me from finishing up FFTactics.

(who is still waiting for an licensed english translation for FFIII from the famicom... which was REALLY good...)

Ah yeah...

That one's never quite made it. Seems to be cursed or something.

Square was translating it back when it was new. Don't know how far it got, but they killed it when NoA denied them a US license.

For whatever reason, they skipped over it to do 4 on the Wonderswan and it didn't get done.

I think not having a Wonderswan port is what blocked it for a PS version, since 1 and 2 were mild tweaks to existing ports instead, and 4, 5, and 6 were straight ports(Horrifically so. They're even still using the CD drive like the ROM bus on the SNES, at least in 6. Far too many accesses, including mid-animation ones{First noticed in: Sabin's aura bolt. This also describes exactly how far I made it into the game before I quit and sold it. The extras weren't worth the hassle}, for them to be using it in a proper manner. FF6PS also has MAJOR slowdown problems, because they couldn't be bothered to optimize it. 'S rumored that it's actually an emulation of the SNES, but I don't think that's accurate. </minirant> This is WAY too much text for a parenthetical note. ).

With any luck the DS version will actually get finished.

From Magicbox :   

Here are some new screens of Sega's Lindbergh arcade line up: Virtua Fighter 5, The House of the Dead 4, Power Smash 3, After Burner and Psy-Phi.

325653[/snapback]

And from Insert Credit, some meat...

"We know everything about the Lindbergh through some evil Famitsu scans, with some of the games referenced in a post below. As Sega told this summer, their new arcade system is not based on any of the next-gen consoles. It's more in the same vein as Taito's Type-X board - it's a PC-based arcade board with a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor, a NVidia GPU, 1024MB of memory, games on protected DVD-ROMs, USB controllers and a big effort put on its LAN capacities. Whereas rumors presented the Lindbergh as a successor to the Chihiro (which had an XBox-based architecture), Sega's new board is a quite "neutral" system - its NVidia environment perhaps giving the PS3 a slight potential edge for future ports. A new project by Yu Suzuki is also joining Afterburner, Power Smash 3, The House of the Dead 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 in the Lindbergh's line-up. The game, Psy-Phi (pronounced like 'Sci-Fi'), is described as a "versus action-shooting game" apparently using a tactile screen."

From magicbox :     

P L A Y S T A T I O N  3

- Sony confirmed that PlayStation 3 will support both keyboard and mouse, players can play PS3 titles such as Unreal Tournament 2007 with the keyboard and mouse. The PSP can also be used as a remote device for PS3.

- The Inquirer reported that the PlayStation 3 Development Kit costs about 25000 euro. Sony currently has around 100 dev. kits available in Europe, the number will increase to 1000 by the end of the year.

325408[/snapback]

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Magicbox didn't cite their source for that little news brief on the PS3's mouse and keybouard support. Given that they mention the Inquirer in the next line, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was the Inquirer again.

We learned that despite having up to seven Bluetooth 2.0 compliant controllers, and six USB slots, and you will also be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse. The company representative added that you will be able to play games such as Unreal Tournament 2007 with the keyboard and the mouse. This can mean the end of the auto aiming that you now have on Playstation 2, but I guess that developers will need to make the game fit the controller and keyboard and mouse.

However, aside from saying that they supposedly heard this at the Game Developer's conference, the Inquirer also fails to cite a source.

And Sony's official remarks on the mouse/keyboard bit?

"We haven't made any announcements on PS3 since E3."

That's not to say that the PS3 won't support a mouse and keyboard combo... but we should take these announcements with a grain of salt until an official announcement is made.

From Magicbox :   

Here are some new screens of Sega's Lindbergh arcade line up: Virtua Fighter 5, The House of the Dead 4, Power Smash 3, After Burner and Psy-Phi.

325653[/snapback]

I have no problems confessing... "Afterburner" has always made me hard. No doubt my passion for the F-14 Tomcat helped to fuel this. I pumped quarter after quarter into the Arcade machine... and the Genesis port paid for itself in about 5 minutes and until I sold my original Genesis it was one of my 3 most frequently played games (next to "Shadowrun" and "Sonic 2"). I remember having the SMS version and thinking how horrible it was.

I would be very anxious to see how this new one turns out, especially if it stays true to it's linnear shooter origins... and the music? Well, I'm always on the lookout for a kickass rendition of "The Final Takeoff" (anybody got one?). Maybe they'll throw that in for old-time's sake.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6255709.html

Ignore the title and think of the possibilities.

Think Sony will do the same with PS3's BluRay? Imagine getting certain movies with the games...might give people some real incentive to get a certain game/film. Put it this way...if PS2 and XBox DVD's could hold a movie at full quality and a game as well would you buy it?

BluRay could do this perfectly. With HD DVD delayed till next year, and the costs of BluRay replication down to less than $1(and will drop as production ramps up), future looks pretty bright for the BluRay camp.

Edited by Gaijin

Am I the only one who thinks the Revolution is not looking good when Capcom annoucned PS3 and Xbox 360 editions of Biohazard / RE 5?

327217[/snapback]

Resident Evil = Overrated.

And I say that as someone who's got the 360 on reserve.

and the costs of BluRay replication down to less than $1(and will drop as production ramps up)

I hadn't heard that. In fact (I'll have to dig around to see if I can find the article), last I heard, Blu-Ray discs were supposed to cost around $10 more PER DISC to manufacture than current DVDs. This is, in fact, the very central issue in the next-gen format war. If the costs were near equal, Blu-Ray would have won out on account of the fact that a BD-ROM holds almost double the data that an HDDVD-ROM. But the costs aren't similar. BD-ROMS are supposed to require new equipment and are more expensive to make, while HD-DVDs can be made cheaply and require only simple modifications to the equipment that presses regular DVDs.

I thought is was a 5 GB difference between the 2 format and they can use the same production line as regular DVDs.

I also hear the studios backing Blu-Ray want to go even further and equip every player with an Internet connection, so they can remotely be disabled if you've been tinkering with your player

TOSHIBA UNVEILS 45GB HD DVD-ROM DISC AND DOUBLE-SIDED HYBRID DISC

10 May, 2005

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_05/pr1002.htm

Dye Breakthrough Allows Manufacture on Standard DVD-Recordable Disc Production Lines

A group of four manufacturers has announced successful development of a prototype of a HD DVD-R disc, the write-once next generation DVD disc, that can be easily produced at high volume on standard DVD-Recordable production lines.

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=34792

Blu-ray=big brother link

http://news.com.com/DVD%2Bformat%2Bwar%2Bl..._3-5845919.html

Am I the only one who thinks the Revolution is not looking good when Capcom annoucned PS3 and Xbox 360 editions of Biohazard / RE 5?

327217[/snapback]

Resident Evil = Overrated.

And I say that as someone who's got the 360 on reserve.

and the costs of BluRay replication down to less than $1(and will drop as production ramps up)

I hadn't heard that. In fact (I'll have to dig around to see if I can find the article), last I heard, Blu-Ray discs were supposed to cost around $10 more PER DISC to manufacture than current DVDs. This is, in fact, the very central issue in the next-gen format war. If the costs were near equal, Blu-Ray would have won out on account of the fact that a BD-ROM holds almost double the data that an HDDVD-ROM. But the costs aren't similar. BD-ROMS are supposed to require new equipment and are more expensive to make, while HD-DVDs can be made cheaply and require only simple modifications to the equipment that presses regular DVDs.

327288[/snapback]

You're correct on the costs being higher (but $10 more per disc is incorrect) but the studios have switched camps because the costs aren't as much as they expected. While higher than HD DVD, they want BD's attibutes, and will be willing to pay for them. Check the latest Audio Video Forums and Home theater sites etc. and the camps from both sides of the war. There's a reason WB scaled back their HD DVD releases to only 12 and that is expected to further drop...Paramount has pulled ALL of their titles that they were going to release for HD DVD...Universal is supposedly on the ropes. HD DVD had 2 things going for it: a cheaper upfront cost and first out of the gate. The first out of the gate is gone with it being delayed to 2006, and the costs are not as great for Blu Ray as was first thought as well. The manufacturers are willing to pay for the increased capacity and copy protection (without going into all the technical details).

Industry insiders are betting that the war may indeed be over (before it starts), and we'll have just one new format and not two.

On a side note...many japanese game companies have expressed dissapointment in not being able to have enough space on 360's dual layered DVD's for High Def cut scenes (you now own an HDTV, so I'm figuring you by now have seen the difference between SD and HD video if you have HD cable or an OTA tuner). While high def video doesn't really add anything to the game, if given the choice...I'd prefer the HD video over SD (high def video takes up waaaaay more space than SD). Difference is greater than a PS2 480i game and a Gamecube or XBox 480p one. If BD takes off (as many now believe it really may since the movie studios are slowly pulling out of HD DVD), the increased capacity of those discs may actually come in handy with the way things are going.

I thought is was a 5 GB difference between the 2 format and they can use the same production line as regular DVDs.

I also hear the studios backing Blu-Ray want to go even further and equip every player with an Internet connection, so they can remotely be disabled if you've been tinkering with your player

10 May, 2005

Dye Breakthrough Allows Manufacture on Standard DVD-Recordable Disc Production Lines

A group of four manufacturers has announced successful development of a prototype of a HD DVD-R disc, the write-once next generation DVD disc, that can be easily produced at high volume on standard DVD-Recordable production lines.

Blu-ray=big brother link

327332[/snapback]

That's writables, though.

Totally diffrent issue than read-onlys.

On a side note...many japanese game companies have expressed dissapointment in not being able to have enough space on 360's dual layered DVD's for High Def cut scenes (you now own an HDTV, so I'm figuring you by now have seen the difference between SD and HD video if you  have HD cable or an OTA tuner).  While high def video doesn't really add anything to the game, if given the choice...I'd prefer the HD video over SD (high def video takes up waaaaay more space than SD).  Difference is greater than a PS2 480i game and a Gamecube or XBox 480p one.  If BD takes off (as many now believe it really may since the movie studios are slowly pulling out of HD DVD), the increased capacity of those discs may actually come in handy with the way things are going.

327333[/snapback]

Bah. They need to quit with the pre-rendered crap and get with the program. Real-time cutscenes for the win.

XBox also does 720p, for the record.

10 May, 2005

Blu-ray=big brother link

327332[/snapback]

That is pretty old news on the HD DVD front. Both actually wanted some type of internet connection by the way. The HD DVD pushback is a real blow for the camp. We'll see if they can rally but, honestly I don't see HD DVD having a shot anymore. The window of being first is gone, and the PS3 will trojan horse High Def players into homes.

On a side note...many japanese game companies have expressed dissapointment in not being able to have enough space on 360's dual layered DVD's for High Def cut scenes

Well, JB0's point about using in-engine cutscenes instead of pre-rendered is valid. More so than ever if next-gen in-engine graphics are going to be everything Microsoft and Sony are hyping them to be.

And then there's your point about HD-DVD supporters jumping ship because of falling Blu-Ray costs. Microsoft definately made the right move going with standard DVD. It's no use waiting for the format wars to be settled, and running with one or the other seems a bit premature at the moment. If Microsoft would have decided to go with HD-DVD, they'd be kicking themselves just on the delay, let alone the setback in the format wars. Likewise, if something unforseen sets back Blu-Ray or gives an unexpected boost to HD-DVD, then Sony will have shot themselves in the foot.

On a side note...many japanese game companies have expressed dissapointment in not being able to have enough space on 360's dual layered DVD's for High Def cut scenes

Well, JB0's point about using in-engine cutscenes instead of pre-rendered is valid. More so than ever if next-gen in-engine graphics are going to be everything Microsoft and Sony are hyping them to be.

And then there's your point about HD-DVD supporters jumping ship because of falling Blu-Ray costs. Microsoft definately made the right move going with standard DVD. It's no use waiting for the format wars to be settled, and running with one or the other seems a bit premature at the moment. If Microsoft would have decided to go with HD-DVD, they'd be kicking themselves just on the delay, let alone the setback in the format wars. Likewise, if something unforseen sets back Blu-Ray or gives an unexpected boost to HD-DVD, then Sony will have shot themselves in the foot.

327381[/snapback]

Though possible, at this point, I'd say it's very unlikely at all that something will take over BluRay's shot at being the next media of choice. Virtually the entire Computer and entertainment industry is backing BluRay as well. Short of something disastrous, I'd say it's virtually a shoe in now. And it's not so much the costs that are making the decisions to jump as much as it is the copy protection scheme BD employs...

And, I agree totally with the cut scenes...but we will still get video in our games there's no question about it, and video running in SD res on a large fixed panel inbetween HD res gameplay might look stupid.

Higher Capacity discs are coming, whether it's overkill or not. Having too much is better than not having enough...*cough N64 carts*.

Metal Gear Solid 4 screenshots from Famitsu...all running realtime on PS3 hardware.

mgs42.jpg

mgs43.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs42.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs43.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs41.jpg

Looks just as good if not better than E3 Killzone. Video to be shown at TGS.

Edited by Gaijin

So Snake now looks like Big Boss, missing eye and everything.

Personally, I don't see either new DVD format going all that far. VHS had a good 15 to 20 years in it before the masses really turned over the VHS collections to get DVDs. Now that people are building up a rather nice DVD library, I can't imagine they'll be in a huge rush to buy everything all over again for a new format that most won't be able to tell the difference with.

The PS3 will be the only Blu-ray player I'll have for quite some time. I've got over 100 DVDs, I'll be damned if I am going to buy them all over again in a new format when they look amazing as it is.

So Snake now looks like Big Boss, missing eye and everything.

No it`s a spy-cam that looks through that little robot. BTW that robot looks like the one from Snatcher AKA Metalgear.

Over all it looks awesome.

328406[/snapback]

The 'bot in Snatcher was named Metal Gear Mk. 2. And was a nod to the mech of the same name in Meal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

So which Mk.2 is this one referencing???