1/100 MG Gelgoog Cannon

port

Look. I'm not a racist by far. But this Gundam is going to be a German Nazi machine with German cross and a swastika. If any one feels uncomfortable see those markings just post here and will not show the finished model. I really do resect your feeling. Thanks Dave

post-26-1115692133_thumb.jpg

dunno why people have to get so offensive over it...those symbols are apart of history, no matter how bad the history behind them is...when it's all said and done it's just a model kit...no different from people who build german tanks, fighter planes and so on...and if you really want to, you could go ahead and build a gundam with US or UK symbols on it...you could go all out and make a lil WWII diorama with them...

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

i am looking forward to this one. i love WWII stuff, the nazi marking are apart of history (sadly) so i do not take it personally specially since you are not promoting it or anything. it is a shame you can not find the red nazi style zeon logo for it it looks just like a nazi marking but is more zeonish in the middle and would probaly look better on it.

chris

i am looking forward to this one. i love WWII stuff, the nazi marking are apart of history (sadly) so i do not take it personally specially since you are not promoting it or anything. it is a shame you can not find the red nazi style zeon logo for it it looks just like a nazi marking but is more zeonish in the middle and would probaly look better on it.

chris

The sad part is that the Nazi markings are not yet history, they are still used and it's significance is just as hateful as it was 60 years ago...

of course I have no problem with it being used in the model as he is not promoting its hateful aspect. I am really interested to see the final work.

Facists have the coolest uniforms and best logos. The Japanese Imperial Rising Sun Flag and Nazi Swastika were very striking icons that have their roots in decidedly non-facist origins, so I can understand where the appeal for using the designs comes from.

The Japanese have been using WW2 design cues in Gundam since 0080/0083 so it's kind of a moto point.

dunno why people have to get so offensive over it...those symbols are apart of history, no matter how bad the history behind them is...when it's all said and done it's just a model kit...no different from people who build german tanks, fighter planes and so on...and if you really want to, you could go ahead and build a gundam with US or UK symbols on it...you could go all out and make a lil WWII diorama with them...

I guess I'll field this one, since I admit I was one of the people who went nuts with (IIRC) RTH's Nazi Valk custom a few moons back. A lot of it was the method in which the Nazi symbols were being used. I build quite a bit of Axis armor and aircraft, and don't have a problem usually with the swastika symbol in that context. (or even in the realm of anime customs -- I'm dragging my heels on a Nousejadoul-Ger in German "What if?" markings) What set me, and I assume the other objectors, off was the egregiousness of his use of the symbol -- gaily colored red with a swastika on both shoulders and other places and doing a Fascist salute to boot. If I got some details wrong, I apologize for unintended libel. We may have been the ones with the problem, but it just seemed at the time to break the bounds of propriety in our opinion.

Yellowlightman, you're right that much of the Zeon design ethic seems to be inspired by Nazi Germany, and I don't have a problem with that, because they keep it in the realm of influences. The Zeons aren't "space Nazis," they just happen to share a few sartorial and vexillary traits with them.

I managed a similir bit of stupidity once... I painted up a Battletech fighter mini in Luftwaftte splinter camo with markings and everyone got all uppitty.... historical models people, we can't deny it existed! I can see getting offended, but the flame wars that happened because of it were a bit much.

I always fancy those model names... like Siege, blitz, panzer etc... ;) It's just they were once allies... germany and japan. :rolleyes:

Im not a rasict too but the swastika is such a strong logo and who cares? It's origin was the Budha sign! ;) The cross is a symbol of the wehrmacht and is still being used. It has nothing to do with politics.

Edited by Kin

I believe it's less that Zeon is based on the Nazis specifically, and more that they represent the entire Axis powers of WWII. It's always been obvious that MSG was based on WWII (and Star Wars, but that's a story for another time...).

However, in terms of stylistic cues, the Zeons do borrow very heavily from Nazi Germany, and who's to blame them, they do look pretty cool...

It's origin was the Budha sign! ;)

The Buddhist symbol is the mirror image of the Swastika.

I believe it's also normally portrayed as if it was sitting flat on one side, rather than tilted, right?

o yes that's true.. the swastika is rotated 45 degrees.

It's origin was the Budha sign! ;)

The Buddhist symbol is the mirror image of the Swastika.

I believe it's also normally portrayed as if it was sitting flat on one side, rather than tilted, right?

Not really. The Nazis used the swastika both "flat" as well as at an angle. The clue is actually in the direction of the arms. Although the Nazi symbol is exclusively counter-clockwise, the Buddhists and other ancient cultures (it was amazingly widespread, surfacing in Europe, Japan, India, Native America and Africa, among other places) depicted it both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Edited by Pat Payne

Playing with after done and painted is not the best thing to do . You my scratch the paint. But out of the box play away. I keep wanting to pick one up just for that but, I can't bring my self to not paint and weather it.

If you haven't notice this bad boy is leaking hydraulic fluid.

I would have thought that it was blood on the feet. Hey, blood ends up everywhere!

But so far, the bad boy is looking VERY bad boyish. Can't wait to see it done.

Plan to have it shoot down IL-2s in droves? FYI, the IL-2 was a russian ground pounder whose forward section of the plane was made out of rolled armour plate so that it could come back in mostly one piece. The lack of a tail gunner in early models made it a flying target for German fighters (and bombers who got off the lucky shot or two).

I do I do! just playing. You could argue maybe that the Gelgoog is really showing that as a sign of peace as the symbol was originally designed for before the Nazi's desocrated it.

Wish my cam was working :( I'm doing a test bed GP01 and it doesn't look half bad.

pic

Gorgeous weathering on that, Port. Wish I could get those kind of rust effects :thumbsup: