Serenity Trailer Up!

Gaijin

Re. the sound in space thing: Whedon said from the very beginning that it was something he was willing to compromise on with the studio if it meant the movie got made. Hopefully the DVD release will have the option of turning it off.

Ill laugh on the dvd a icon pops up saying press mute on your remote to have realistic non sound mode in space.

Re. the sound in space thing: Whedon said from the very beginning that it was something he was willing to compromise on with the studio if it meant the movie got made.  Hopefully the DVD release will have the option of turning it off.

Ill laugh on the dvd a icon pops up saying press mute on your remote to have realistic non sound mode in space.

:lol:

Re. the sound in space thing: Whedon said from the very beginning that it was something he was willing to compromise on with the studio if it meant the movie got made.  Hopefully the DVD release will have the option of turning it off.

People who have attended the screenings have reported that the no sound in space is preserved. Cool.

Edited by Gaijin

I agree that was an aspect I liked about the show, but which probably scared off your typical SW/ST type who feels the need to hear all the effects.

I think most SW/ST types can accept the "no sound in space" concept. If anything, sound would have been added to attract a more mainstream audience. The types whose knowledge of film is solely derived from whatever crap they picked up in the $5.99 bin at Best Buy. The types who actually get excited to see Will Smith mugging for the camera in a "coming soon" trailer. The type who, sadly, make up the majority of the movie going public.

But as Gaijin pointed out, the sound seems to have been done solely for the trailer so it's a moot point.

Okay, years ago, when Firefly was on TV, there was a lot of buzz going on, but I remember seeing comercials for it and thinking "eh." And I still remember hearing hype for ages after, even (or maybe especially) after it was cancelled.

Now I've seen the trailer for Serenity, and I'll admit... it looks like it might be an okay movie. But one thing I still don't get, after hearing hype, seeing trailers, and reading the summaries of the show, I still don't get one thing: what was it about Firefly that set it apart from every other sci-fi show about the crew of a space ship? If I haven't cared about most of those, why would I like Firefly?

For people more familiar with the show who have also seen the trailer, do you guys think it'll be necessary to watch the show first? Or is it okay to just watch Serenity? Despite the hype, I don't feel like springing for the Firefly DVD set if I'm not even sure I'll like it.

I guess you have to be a fan of Space Adventure type of stories... and you pretty much can't have one without a space ship and a crew... :huh::unsure::lol:

Well, as far as space adventures go, I like both Star Wars and the various incarnations of Star Trek, although neither to the level that a lot of their respective fans seem to. I also kinda liked Lost in Space when I was a kid. But I didn't care for Babylon 5 and I really didn't like Andromeda. I've basically ignored any and all others, partly because B5 and Andromeda left me lacking in interest, and partly because I don't watch much TV and don't feel like springing for more than the most basic of cable services.

Space has always fascinated me, though. Some of the first books I can remember reading were children's books on astronomy. The idea of a truly good space adventure show is most intriguing to me... so I'll ask again. What is it that makes Firefly special? Why does it stand out?

Firefly is like was said..about the characters and the drama/relationships/interaction between them. Don't get me wrong...it's not some cheesy soap opera...it, like Buffy and Angel is about people...the space setting is just backdrop. Joss Whedon understands emotion in people better than anyone else when doing TV.

I suggest maybe renting the discs if you don't want to spring for them. By disc 3, you'll return them and buy your own set. IT did start off rather slow, but trust me, it's all worth it. Best TV show that never got the chance.

I thought Buffy and Angel was pretty cheesy... maybe because Firefly wasn't about teen angst and had capable actors. I wasn't into B5 and Andromeda either. Hell I didn't even like the high and might SAAB when it came down to it. Firefly and BSG are probably the only sci-fi space adventures I'd watch as a series... at least I still have one on TV and the other in the theatres.

Firefly was excellent because it took a standard cliche (crew on a spaceship) and turns it on its head by making the world the show is set in as a Western.

Think of the show as a Western in space, litterally a "wagon train to the stars".

They did in a anime called Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs didnt they?

For the more technically inclined, Zoic did the visual effects in Firefly, so you new Battlestar Galactica fans can see some of their earlier CGI space work. The space scenes are done the same way, "documentary style".

Firefly was excellent because it took a standard cliche (crew on a spaceship) and turns it on its head by making the world the show is set in as a Western.

Think of the show as a Western in space, litterally a "wagon train to the stars".

So this is similar to Cowboy Bebop?

I remember someone posting on here that this show's creator was influenced by anime. Sure sounds like Cowboy Bebop though...which isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Valkyrie23

I remember someone posting on here that this show's creator was influenced by anime. Sure sounds like Cowboy Bebop though...which isn't a bad thing.

Not really. Bebop isn't anymore western than any other space opera, but rather takes its ques more from film noir. Firefly is much closer to actual westerns both visually and stylistically.

Usually people who say it's like Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star have

A: Never seen Firefly

B: are too young to recognize anything else that came before anime

It's hardly like those shows, except for the fact that they take jobs and they're in space. Having seen Bebop and liking it, comparing FF to that is a slap in the face. Firefly is a many times better...but then again...they are different.

Edited by Gaijin

For the more technically inclined, Zoic did the visual effects in Firefly, so you new Battlestar Galactica fans can see some of their earlier CGI space work. The space scenes are done the same way, "documentary style".

You can actually see a Firefly class ship in the Battlestar Galactica Mini-series.

Chris

They did in a anime called Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs didnt they?

No, mroe closely related to the anime "Outlaw Star" than anything as far as anime goes.... And I still wouldn't use that show to describe it...

EDIT: Gaijin has made the point very nicely so i'll shut up now.

Edited by Jemstone

I recently saw the trailer when I went to see hitchhiker's guide, Is it me or was the shepard not in the trailer? It would kinda suck if the entire cast from the show didn't make it into the movie. :(

He's been confirmed to be in the movie.

Do you know what episode you can see the Firefly class ship in?

It's in the MINI-SERIES. The scene is when the then secretary Roslyn is at her doctors office on Caprica, it's the sky shot looking up out of the office...I think it's like the second ship, it passes right to left and is descending.

Chris

Do you know what episode you can see the Firefly class ship in?

It's in the MINI-SERIES. The scene is when the then secretary Roslyn is at her doctors office on Caprica, it's the sky shot looking up out of the office...I think it's like the second ship, it passes right to left and is descending.

Chris

Thanks. Sorry I should have mention I meant the cameo in Battlestar Galatica.

Sofar, it seems those who got to see those advance screenings liked what they were shown, including some people who had never seen the show before. One person who went to one of the Vegas screenings said Joss outdid himself this time.

C'mon September!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

"FIREFLY (FOX) - The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to all 15 hours of the short-lived FOX series (and basis of the upcoming "Serenity" feature film). The network's July schedule lists the series as joining its Friday lineup on July 22 at 7:00/6:00c where it will precede original episodes of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Now's the chance to get people watching, unfortunately the show won't be done by Sept 30, but they better show the gorram pilot first this time!

Woohoo! Of course, I already own the DVDs, but this is great news for the commercial outlook of the film. And yes, I would expect that SciFi will run them in the proper order. The only reason it may not make much of a difference though is because the people that would be watch SciFi's Friday night lineup already know about Firefly & Serenity.

• 4 weeks later...

Old news but at least its getting more press.

Firefly lands on the Sci Fi Channel

By Lila Holland

June 15, 2005 at 09:27:00 AM

Firefly, a science fiction series that was canceled midway through its first season on Fox, has found a new home on the Sci Fi Channel.

The cult favorite Firefly alights on the Sci Fi Channel! Fans of the cult-hit series Firefly will be pleased to learn that the show has been picked up by the Sci Fi Channel--just two months before the release of Serenity, a Universal Pictures film based on the series.

For the uninitiated, Firefly is a "space Western" set 500 years from now, in a spaceship that cruises the outer borders of the planetary system that humanity has taken as its new home. The crew is made up of rebels who are fleeing persecution by the unified government known as the Alliance.

Firefly made its debut on Fox in 2002 but was canceled before the end of its first season. The Sci Fi Channel will air all 15 existing episodes, including the three that never made it to TV, starting on Friday, July 22.

Edited by Kamineko

Press nothing....the Browncoats have crashed Fandango.com everytime a new screening date is up. Too bad the series won't be over when the movie comes out...why didn't you get the show EARLIER!!!! :rolleyes:

ETA: some guys at the other site have been talking about the trailer and it just hit the Fireflyfan boards....one guy's comment about it was worth repeating:

"Used to be (a fan of robotech) when I was younger, but then I saw how they "reaver-ised" the original Japanese series."-sickdude

Edited by uminoken