VF-5000 underwing thing

hellohikaru

I look up in the Macross Compendium and cant find what they might be but Ill past here the arament section for the YF-5000

ARMAMENT: Fixed rear anti-aircraft pulse laser cannon, mounted above dorsal section in Fighter and GERWALK mode or on head turret in Battroid mode. Standard external multi-purpose gun pod or shock gun pod mounted under central fuselage in Fighter mode or in manipulator in GERWALK and Battroid modes. Micro missile launchers mounted in centre ventral section and in engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or in forearm and lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid modes.

Option of aerospace booster pack system with micro-missile launcher pods (mounted on engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or on lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid mode), and micro-missile launcher pod with shock ordnance mounted on dorsal section; or Super FAST Pack system with micro-missile launcher pods with upper exit ports for the fighter's own launchers and a lower exit ports for the pods's launchers (mounted on engine nacelle section in Fighter mode or on lower leg sections in GERWALK and Battroid mode), and micro-missile launcher pod mounted on central dorsal section.

Hope this helps, unless someone with better knowledge than I.

Those underwing things only appear in the TIAS Macross Plus book from 1995.

AFAIK, they are not shown on any later drawings of the VF-5000 in other later books or magazines.

They were not on the VF-5000G or VF-5000GT in the Dynamite 7 OVA. Neither were they on the SHE VF-5000 perfect variable model or the Yellow Submarine VF-5000G 1/144 scale fighter mode kit.

They were also not used in the 3 console games that the VF-5000 has appeared in (M3 for DC, MPGE for PS, VF-X2 Special Edition for PS).

I can only presume that they were an early concept idea from Kawamori that he later decided to drop.

BTW, what is the Corydoras kit? Pictures?

Graham

agreed the VF-5000 needs more love it is a great design, what scale is that little kit anyhow?

chris

I never seen them before on the lineart and yet the Corydoras kit has them too. Are those gun gondolas like those on certain wwII fighters ?

Though not officially labeled, I will agree with you. They do look very much similar.

has_hurri-mk2d_48.jpg

has_hurri-mk2d_model_48.jpg

Hmm... "beam gun gondolas" 「ビーム砲ゴンドラ」

Sounds cool.

Guest Bromgrev

They do look a bit like gun pods. Probably a bit fragile for a model and even for a toy. Hmm, I wonder if Kawamori is already thinking of merchandising practicalities when he's designing mecha for anime? :huh:

Nice Hurricane pics, nanashino!

Edited by Bromgrev

I never seen them before on the lineart and yet the Corydoras kit has them too. Are those gun gondolas like those on certain wwII fighters ?

Though not officially labeled, I will agree with you. They do look very much similar.

has_hurri-mk2d_48.jpg

Hmm... "beam gun gondolas" 「ビーム砲ゴンドラ」

Sounds cool.

Nice. 40mm guns for the tank tank buster Hurricane (intended for use in the desert, the enlarged chin intake gives it away). Also does very well for shooting aircraft (assuming you can hit the buggers).

I'm agreeing with the gunpod idea. However, it would also be nice to see an underside view with the wing guns attached, just to clarify (but I doubt that).