God Of War

wolfx

I was hooked on this game yesterday. It has violence, action, nudity and sex. w00ts! ;)

You play the role of Kratos, some champion of the greeek Gods. In the intro you see yourself committing suicide as you jump off a cliff and then it backflashes 3 years ago.....where you start your game.

Ares, God Of War has started to massacre the humans around ancient Greece. The gods ie Zeus/Poseidon etc cannot interfere as Gods are not allowed to wage war with each other. Thus you come into the picture.....a representative of the Gods to stop Ares. Well anyway....on to gameplay.

The game plays pretty much like the PS2 LOTR games. Walk around, kill everything that moves with a flurry of moves upgradeable from orbs that come out of enemies when they are killed. The game system is interesting. On the surface it is just like the LOTR games, where you walk around killing things. But HOW you kill them would give you different combination of orbs. Red Orbs are XP. Blue orbs are basically mana and green orbs are health. If you tear an enemy apart with your bare hands, you get a green orb and some red orbs. If you stab him, you get mostly red orbs. If you behead a Medusa, you get blue orbs but if u kill her normally, youll get red orbs.

Also the "vendetta" moves are nice to look at. When you get an enemy down to low health you grab them with the "o" button and a sequence of buttons will appear on top of the enemy which you must press when they flash. Each correct button will show the character do fantastic moves which kills the creature fantastically. Pretty much a very cool finishing move, especially when the creatures are much huger than you. The same applies to boss characters.

Oh...and by the end of the 1st chapter, you get to bed some 2 slaves and get some red orbs at the climax. :lol::lol::lol:

I picked it up. I wouldn't really say it's like the LOTOR games... they're more straight up hack and slash. GoW is more like an action platformer in the same vein as, say, Devil May Cry. But better. Way better.

One thing I like (aside from all the brutal way to put the hurt on your enemies) is the way puzzles are solved. Like in one part just after you get to Athens, you have to get over a gate, but the ledge can't be reached. In other games, maybe you'd have to push a box, or (in nonsensical RE style) find the hex-shaped crank to go into the control box to lower the ladder or something. What Kratos actuall does, though, makes sense... he goes to the top of a nearby temple-looking building, and pushes over a statue. Then he can climb the broken statue's head to get to the ledge.

I'll definately be getting back into this game in the near future, but for now, my PSP is calling...

• 1 year later...

God of War 2 is out! I'm so glad they made this for the PS2. The engine remains fundamentally the same as the 1s GOW game so its more or less like a direct sequel from the original. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Played it up till the Steeds of Time. Love them brutal finishing moves. SPARTAAAAA!!! RARRRR RRARRRR!!

I pounded my way through God of War one in about three days, that game was beautiful. I just borrowed my brother's copy of God of War 2 and started out on God Mode the night before last, that game is just stunning, I am continually impressed with the amount of power they keep pulling out of the PS2, the controls are great, I have trouble finding any significant flaws at all in the game. Good good stuff.

I am continually impressed with the amount of power they keep pulling out of the PS2...

Seriously. When I first saw the commercials I thought, "now there's a game that might convince me to go PS3."

Anyone see any similarities in this upcoming game, Heavenly Sword with GOW? :D

Don't forget the Conan game coming in 2008. Not that I'm complaining. GOW 1&2 are awesome. HS's got a babe fighting and Conan is ..... well Conan. Lots of blood gore and violence assured in these games.

Okay what the the hell is this website? http://islandofrhodes.org/

Apparently something God Of War-ish is going to be revealed in 16 days.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/775/775375p1.html

A new hero? (youtube Fate of the Titan for the unlocked GoW1 movie).

.......or longshot, not-a-hope-in-hell-there-are-PS2-logo's-on-the-above-website, but GoW3 announcement for PS3?

It could be information on the PSP game, I think I read a tidbit someplace that it more than likely is going to be a tangent storyline that may or may not deal with Kratos in the Olympus storyline.

~ Edit~ Well the IGn article torpedo's that guess, I wonder what it is. I have been assuming that the next game, if that be for PS3 will deal with Kratos brother mentioned in the bonus content of the first game, but I haven't beat part two yet, so I am sure there is information I am missing.

I am excited :)

I am currently battling the first Sister of Fate in God mode on GoW2, I have died about a hundred times, three times with her stunned and ready for the finishing combo due to environmental damage or simultaneous hits, I just about had a stroke at midnight last night trying to beat her :p

It allowing me to take my time going through the game though, I plowed through God of War 1 too quickly.

Edited by Ghadrack

I was thinking of getting this game when it first came out, but i chose to buy Spartan Total Warrior instead, as you can tell its another game based on a spartan. Its made by the same company that made the Total War games like Rome and Shogun. In my opinion its a great game as well, but now GOW is a budget title i might pop in the shops and buy it.

I was thinking of getting this game when it first came out, but i chose to buy Spartan Total Warrior instead, as you can tell its another game based on a spartan. Its made by the same company that made the Total War games like Rome and Shogun. In my opinion its a great game as well, but now GOW is a budget title i might pop in the shops and buy it.

It's a definite buy!

I bought GOW yesterday, two games come to mind when playing it, onimusha and devil may cry, only far better. I'm surprised to see so many breast in a game, i never thought they would ever make a game with bare breast on PS2, was there an outcry by parents etc like with the grand theft auto games.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I checked there's about 4 hours left till this City/Island of Rhodes is revealed. I sure as hell don't know what it is but can it be related to Jaffe's new Calling All Cars download for Playstation Network? :wacko:

I picked up GOW about a month ago... finally got to Ares last night, and whooboy is he a tank. Died about 6 times, but as it was late at night, I gave up for the night... can't wait to get back into the thick tonight...

I think that the fighting and stuff in GOW is absolutely amazing, and the whole game plays with such a badass swagger that I love it, but I must admit, some of the more obnoxious platformer sections did try my patience... the worst offender was what I spent about an hour on last night... the spinning columns with the baldes on them at the end of you trip thro Hades... those two columns were so goddamn frustrating, but at least you go straight to the good stuff afterwards. I don't see myself playing thru again on God Mode (Im not a huge fan of replaying games for a few unlockable movies, but I did play thru Syphon Filter on the PSP about a zillion times for all the weapons and levels.) So I'll probably just watch Fate of the Titan and whatnot on Youtube once I'm done with Ares... anyone got any tips for him?

Don't bother with the islandofrhodes website. So far it's just a bunch of GoW production vids. What a friggin letdown. Why even have a countdown timer for something that lame?

I saw it. That sucked! :angry: They could have done better.